Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
bloodninja: Baby, I been havin a tough night so treat me nice aight?
BritneySpears14: Aight.
bloodninja: Slip out of those pants baby, yeah.
BritneySpears14: I slip out of my pants, just for you, bloodninja.
bloodninja: Oh yeah, aight. Aight, I put on my robe and scholar hat.
BritneySpears14: Oh, I like to play dress up.
bloodninja: Me too baby.
BritneySpears14: I kiss you softly on your chest.
bloodninja: I cast Earth-Rank Eroticism. You turn into a real beautiful woman.
BritneySpears14: Hey…
bloodninja: I meditate to regain my qi, before casting Soul-Fusion-Rank Cock of the Infinite.
BritneySpears14: Funny I still don't see it.
bloodninja: I spend my qi reserves to cast Mighty F*ck of the Beyondness.
BritneySpears14: You are the worst cultivation partner ever. This is ridiculous.
bloodninja: Don't f*ck with me bitch, I'm the mightiest scholar of the lands.
bloodninja: I steal yo soul and cast Divine-Heaven-Rank Lightning Your body explodes into a fine bloody mist, because you are only a Foundation-Level mortal.
BritneySpears14: Don't ever message me again you piece of ****.
bloodninja: Qi constructs are trying to drill my brain but my lightning shield inflicts DOA attack, leaving the constructs as flaming piles of metal.
bloodninja: The Moon congratulates me for destroying The Barbarians's evil army of Man-Beast Horrors. The cold war ends. The Son of Heaven steals my accomplishments and makes like it was cause of him.
bloodninja: You still there baby? I think it's getting hard now.
bloodninja: Baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
This is a weird public tantrum about an incredibly PG chapter.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's a tiny bit horny but also a wholesome newlywed couple. It's about as racy as the Song of Solomon.

This is a genre filled with misogyny, rape, and sado-masochism but it's a guy thinking fondly about consensual vanilla intercourse with his wife that's upsetting?

The S&M mayor and the bits about being drunk and sexual right in front of family are a lot more skeevy to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i finally found the wn that will kill me. it makes me laugh and laugh and laugh until it hurts and i'd really much rather stop but there is no stopping. none of this amazing comedy is supposed to be comedy, naturally.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i finally found the wn that will kill me. it makes me laugh and laugh and laugh until it hurts and i'd really much rather stop but there is no stopping. none of this amazing comedy is supposed to be comedy, naturally.

Oh dear, and yes I think I understand what you mean right off.

'Magnus Cromwell—MC to anyone but his little sister—kills for a living. '

Main character is literally called MC.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, I don't know how well he actually executes the tone, but it seems at least somewhat deliberate. The MC's other name is 'Opie Emsy.'

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh Jesus loving Christ, that story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it was supposed to be comedy it would be tagged as such. the author provides the tags on rr! against both man and god it is somehow completely sincere.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I just caught up on Beware of Chicken and... Well the main character and his wife are both very healthy people in their early twenties who are in a wholesome and loving relationship along with just having moved in with each other for the first time? If anything the peripheral nature of them being horny for each other in the narrative is to be remarked upon. They should probably be commended for actually having serious focuses outside of boinking each other silly if they were real people and I much prefer this to the weird sexless automatons who populate a lot of web series that are not horrific harem monstrosities.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

if it was supposed to be comedy it would be tagged as such. the author provides the tags on rr! against both man and god it is somehow completely sincere.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oh Jesus loving Christ, that story.

Amaze. Going to believe it's intentional and the author didn't click "Comedy" because they want to troll in the comments.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it is a parody, it's a brilliant one. but since it is being published and taken off rr in a couple months, that seems rather unlikely.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Unless that's part of the joke?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

if it is a parody, it's a brilliant one. but since it is being published and taken off rr in a couple months, that seems rather unlikely.

Why would that make it unlikely. People would still buy or publish it if it's a parody of genre.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, if royalroad stuff is being recommended, here's one I really like: Prophecy Approved Companion
The background is that a game company got their hands on really powerful AI and computer tech... and made a zelda/final fantasy/skyrim fulldive rpg using it.
So now they gave the beta version to a guy to playtest... and we see all this from the perspective of Qube, the AI of a female healer NPC who accompanies the 'legendary destined hero'.

The summary by the author describes it best:

quote:

Qube is an NPC in an AI-driven VR-RPG who avoids her scripted death and blithely continues following the Player, trying to make sense of the normalised nonsense of Fantasy RPGs and accidentally glitching out the world in stranger and stranger ways as she seeks to be the very best Childhood Companion ever.

It’s a loving parody of old school RPGs, high fantasy, and every gamer who has ever thought “what happens if I do this...”

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/35549/prophecy-approved-companion
Its quite similar in a way to Sekai game, in that the world of the game is very real to the NPCs and full of bugs and other glitches.

Heres a good excerpt from an early chapter:

quote:

Qube eyed him almost suspiciously. While she obviously still believed in the Golden Prophecy and its Awoken Hero, the Prophecy had never mentioned anything about wall hugging or pot destroying. She wasn’t doubting the Chosen One, she hurriedly reassured herself, more… wondering how best she could guide him. Yes. That worked.

“People are free to go wherever they like in the village,” She said, then paused. “Although…there is the top of the Town Hall. The higher up you go the more pressure people feel.” The Hero sprung to his feet with a shout. “It’s quite high up though! And I know you’re afraid of heights.”

The Hero paused for a second to look at her in puzzlement, before grabbing her hand and racing into the Town Hall.

---

He threw her into the sky.

He, the Chosen One, the Hero of All, had raced to the top of Town Hall, jumped up and down a few times, gone and gotten a wooden crate, stood on it, and then thrown her into the Prophecy Cursed SKY.

And then she’d gotten stuck. In the sky.

“HOW?” She screamed at the uncaring sky that she was literally stuck inside.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pull you down as soon as the danger’s passed!” The Hero called up to her.

“HOW?!” She hit a new octave.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Why would that make it unlikely. People would still buy or publish it if it's a parody of genre.

because if it was published it would be published as the intended genre. i.e., a parody would be advertised as a parody. an attempt at a bait and switch would just mean that no one who purchased it would be happy with it. that's really more of a self-publishing thing.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I don't know if anyone else was reading it, but Deathbound Duke's Daughter is updating again after a year's hiatus.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Ah, I saw that too. I really like that one, so I'm hopeful for more. It's always a shame when an interesting web novel goes into indefinite hiatus.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

Ah, if royalroad stuff is being recommended, here's one I really like: Prophecy Approved Companion
The background is that a game company got their hands on really powerful AI and computer tech... and made a zelda/final fantasy/skyrim fulldive rpg using it.
So now they gave the beta version to a guy to playtest... and we see all this from the perspective of Qube, the AI of a female healer NPC who accompanies the 'legendary destined hero'.

The summary by the author describes it best:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/35549/prophecy-approved-companion
Its quite similar in a way to Sekai game, in that the world of the game is very real to the NPCs and full of bugs and other glitches.

Heres a good excerpt from an early chapter:

Enjoying this, fun recommendation although I wonder where it's going. Slightly thorny moral questions get raised when you accidentally create a person

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

:hmmyes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i just read the description and it has the exact tone of one of those right wing novels about some ex-marine named JAW TROOPMAN who has to protect his FAMILY AND VALUES from a sinister conspiracy

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

i just read the description and it has the exact tone of one of those right wing novels about some ex-marine named JAW TROOPMAN who has to protect his FAMILY AND VALUES from a sinister conspiracy

that's exactly what it is

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Gonna change my name IRL to Jaw Troopman.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'll say one thing for that story: I will never accuse another author of coming up with too stupid a name for their dragons.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Does the SINISTER CONSPIRACY represent a total and complete corruption of every level of the HONOURABLE WARRIOR society/organisation that JAW TROOPMAN is a proud and HONOURABLE member of? As in the entire narrative is wanking about the SUPER HONOUR of the SPACE US MARINES or something yet half of them turn out to be VILE TRAITORS who EAT BABIES due to the SINISTER CONSPIRACY, and this is never reflected upon?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the only reason it doesn't is because its 1) insane prepper fantasy instead of insane i love the us government fantasy and 2) an isekai

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/blu_online_/status/1372881738167296008

that kinda sucks, 7seas.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

that kinda sucks, 7seas.

It's business as usual at Seven Seas, though.
See https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/m3s0s0/classroom_of_the_elite_vol_7_revised_edition/
or https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1367434036004683778 for other titles getting the same treatment.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sorry, the thread must get a bunch of these, but anyone have recommendations for baby's first Xianxia? I have the first three books of Cradle, and hear that's pretty good, even if it's technically just Xianxia-inspired.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

A Will Eternal was my introduction to the genre and I absolutely loved it. Introduces you to all of the fundamentals pretty much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry, the thread must get a bunch of these, but anyone have recommendations for baby's first Xianxia? I have the first three books of Cradle, and hear that's pretty good, even if it's technically just Xianxia-inspired.

Yeah, Cradle is solidly-written xianxia goodness. Dive into what you have, if you haven't already.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Patrat posted:

Does the SINISTER CONSPIRACY represent a total and complete corruption of every level of the HONOURABLE WARRIOR society/organisation that JAW TROOPMAN is a proud and HONOURABLE member of? As in the entire narrative is wanking about the SUPER HONOUR of the SPACE US MARINES or something yet half of them turn out to be VILE TRAITORS who EAT BABIES due to the SINISTER CONSPIRACY, and this is never reflected upon?

nah it's BLAST HARDCHEESE getting ABDUCTED BY ALIEN SLAVERS who ACCIDENTALLY GIVE HIM SUPERPOWERS and now the only way to SAVE HUMANITY is to KICK SOME ALIEN rear end

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hiro Protagonist posted:

In no order, with the caveat that I haven't finished any of these because they're all loving LONG:

- Way of Choices / https://www.novelupdates.com/series/ze-tian-ji/ is a slow-paced favorite of mine about a kid who has a terminal illness and cultivates anyways. Heavy on the worldbuilding!
- Martial World / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/martial-world - protagonist gets a magic cube that shows him advanced techniques and stuff from a destroyed cultivation world and he uses it to become insanely overpowered in his home city. Fun, with a focus on crafting things.
- Renegade Immortal / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/renegade-immortal - Brutal from top to bottom, our protagonist gets brought into a sect to cultivate but his master hates him and 95% of all cultivators in this setting are ruthless, so he has to learn to be ruthless in turn. The author lightened up in his later works such as I Shall Seal the Heavens, I hear.
- Desolate Era / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/desolate-era - Dude gets reborn, gets lucky in hell so he doesn't lose his memories AND gets a cool new cultivation technique that he uses to clown on everything in his new land. Very... prehistoric vibe to this one with fur-clad warriors fighting monsters. Fun!
- Nine Star Hegemon Body Art / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/nine-star-hegemon - Still incomplete, features the protagonist basically powering up his friends as well as himself, lots of fun!

And shoutout to World of Cultivation for being about farming, to Library of Heaven's Path for being extremely comedic, and to the Charm of Soul Pets for being cultivation pokemon.

If you need compilation epubs I recommend looking at Hasseno's blog or googling a title + epub.

Notes about reading cultivation: as a rule it seems that all of them are dude-focused with little to no female rep except as love interests. Some of them are better about sexism than others, but ehhh. Some contain rape, read their tags on novelupdates if you're worried about that. And none of them will quite be Cradle.

e: Bonus round: read Dragon Ball (Z). The manga is fantastic and nails a lot of what xianxia is going for.

Double bonus round: Play Amazing Cultivation Simulator on steam if you want to play xianxia by way of Rimworld.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Strix, have you read Forge of Destiny? That one has a female lead, and I’ve been enjoying the character writing quite a bit.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Just be warned that basically every Xianxia protagonist will at some point do something horrible and mass murder a group of people even though not everyone in the group deserves it in any way. I've read multiple novels where the protagonist is usually a pretty good guy, but they will be ok with genociding demons even after the story had already somewhat humanized them and shown that they aren't all completely evil.

Also, XIanxia stories like to have things escalate way too much over minor conflicts, and a powerful organization goes into a full-out war because some random minor member got upset that the protagonist gave them a funny look.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Just be warned that basically every Xianxia protagonist will at some point do something horrible and mass murder a group of people even though not everyone in the group deserves it in any way. I've read multiple novels where the protagonist is usually a pretty good guy, but they will be ok with genociding demons even after the story had already somewhat humanized them and shown that they aren't all completely evil.

Also, XIanxia stories like to have things escalate way too much over minor conflicts, and a powerful organization goes into a full-out war because some random minor member got upset that the protagonist gave them a funny look.
Look, that protagonist should have known better than to walk into a restaurant on their first visit to the big city.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sucks whole rear end.

I Favour the Villainess is great, by the way.

Everyone check that out if you haven't already.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Just be warned that basically every Xianxia protagonist will at some point do something horrible and mass murder a group of people even though not everyone in the group deserves it in any way.

Even in Cradle, I always felt a bit sorry for the Heaven's Glory Irons (though not the Jades, of course).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

StrixNebulosa posted:

In no order, with the caveat that I haven't finished any of these because they're all loving LONG:

- Way of Choices / https://www.novelupdates.com/series/ze-tian-ji/ is a slow-paced favorite of mine about a kid who has a terminal illness and cultivates anyways. Heavy on the worldbuilding!
- Martial World / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/martial-world - protagonist gets a magic cube that shows him advanced techniques and stuff from a destroyed cultivation world and he uses it to become insanely overpowered in his home city. Fun, with a focus on crafting things.
- Renegade Immortal / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/renegade-immortal - Brutal from top to bottom, our protagonist gets brought into a sect to cultivate but his master hates him and 95% of all cultivators in this setting are ruthless, so he has to learn to be ruthless in turn. The author lightened up in his later works such as I Shall Seal the Heavens, I hear.
- Desolate Era / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/desolate-era - Dude gets reborn, gets lucky in hell so he doesn't lose his memories AND gets a cool new cultivation technique that he uses to clown on everything in his new land. Very... prehistoric vibe to this one with fur-clad warriors fighting monsters. Fun!
- Nine Star Hegemon Body Art / https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/nine-star-hegemon - Still incomplete, features the protagonist basically powering up his friends as well as himself, lots of fun!

And shoutout to World of Cultivation for being about farming, to Library of Heaven's Path for being extremely comedic, and to the Charm of Soul Pets for being cultivation pokemon.

If you need compilation epubs I recommend looking at Hasseno's blog or googling a title + epub.

Notes about reading cultivation: as a rule it seems that all of them are dude-focused with little to no female rep except as love interests. Some of them are better about sexism than others, but ehhh. Some contain rape, read their tags on novelupdates if you're worried about that. And none of them will quite be Cradle.

e: Bonus round: read Dragon Ball (Z). The manga is fantastic and nails a lot of what xianxia is going for.

Double bonus round: Play Amazing Cultivation Simulator on steam if you want to play xianxia by way of Rimworld.

I have read all of Martial World, it holds up fairly well unto the end, the loving bullshit cube gets explained in an actually good way. MC is not a rapey bastard, does end up with four? I think love interests over the course of the story but the build up on all of them is actually quite long.

I do recommend Reverend Insanity if you can put up with the protagonist being an unrepentant terrible human being at all times. The story really improves once it gets past the early parts. It is also not only an ISEKAI (he's from regular earth.) it's also a TIME TRAVEL (using the in universe magic system to do so). I think for me it really took off when the evil protagonist realizes "ah gently caress i've been used this whole time" This one is QUITE loving long at over 2000 chapters and I think unfinished. Also notably different than many cultivation based stories is that even with the MC being male, women have a lot of agency throughout the story and are not merely side pieces entirely.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now that it's like 80-90% done I'm going to give Immortal-Devil Transformation a very strong rec because it's right up there with Way of Choices as a well-written low-powered (in fact I'd say it's more wuxia than xianxia) intrigue-centered story with an extremely likeable main cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Even in Cradle, I always felt a bit sorry for the Heaven's Glory Irons (though not the Jades, of course).

I do think it helps in Cradle that Lindon isn't presented as a paragon of virtue, but as a kid navigating a harsh, amoral world who's nice, kind, and polite by default, but is prepared to gently caress people up if he absolutely has to because he's on a tight deadline to save his village. The story accepts that sacred artists are generally pretty lovely people, so it's the acts of kindness, compassion, and generosity that stand out rather than the acts of cruelty and brutality.