Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jagged Jim posted:

The house passed three bills just yesterday you disingenuous twit.

Democrats also pre-compromise on potential solutions way earlier than they need to on a regular basis and seem to have forgotten how to negotiate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

CuwiKhons posted:

*Subject to change on any random rear end day because they loving feel like it, I guess.

Is there a reason why the DMVs open in such haphazard hours? Lack of budget? The Republicans messing it up?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Grape posted:

Salt the Anglo earth, and all that it spawned. No more perfidious Albions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grondoth posted:

The problem with Voter ID laws has always been that we don't have a national ID that's distributed to everyone, so the question is immediately "what IDs count?" I'd have literally 0 issue with Voter ID laws if everyone was given an ID that they could easily get and replace. But we don't have that, so voter ID laws are always a way to disenfranchise certain populations because they don't have certain types of ID.
Looking around, the ACLU protest against national ID 100% wasn't about the problems with issuing an ID to every citizen, but all about "wait, you're saying cops could ask people for their ID? Why... that's outright fascism!"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 19, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The first time I voted everyone at the voting station knew who I was and didn't even ask for ID. That was the year foreign observers noted that it would be shockingly easy to cheat in Norwegian elections because the whole system was built on trust. Theoretically you were required to show your ID but in reality you only had to do it if nobody knew you. The following elections I had to show ID.

But showing your ID hasn't been that controversial in Norway because most debit cards functions as ID cards and if your debit card doesn't have your picture and name on it then you most likely have a passport or driver's licence.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 19, 2021

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Why are all the newspapers in politoon world printed with the headline on the back page?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Yeah gently caress you too, Scotland! -God

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
ID chat: Turns out it's pretty difficult to even get a state ID card if your old ID is expired as an adult, and the DMV can just reject any documents for any reason.

My roommate was turned down for getting an ID because they didn't like the birth certificate, because she was born on an airbase. Not a driver's license mind you, just a State ID, she is a US citizen and has a SSN, as well as has had both a passport and a driver's license previously, but they're expired.

So, even though she is a citizen and has everything to back it up, she still can't get a damned ID, which blocks her out of a lot, including getting a bank account. Now apply that to someone who's been homeless, or otherwise lost any piece of that documentation along the way.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This also doesn’t get into other scenarios like if you transition and have a totally different name now. There is no country-wide process for this, and in some states it’s somehow harder than getting your last name changed after getting married. I cannot imagine how obnoxious getting a national ID changed would be. Probably super annoying since the goal is to prevent voting!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

This is a great comic and a big step above the usual Nib crap.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

toanoradian posted:

Is there a reason why the DMVs open in such haphazard hours? Lack of budget? The Republicans messing it up?

No clue. It's not like the website tells you why they might change hours. It just says 8-5 on weekdays (subject to change) and lets you wonder. My guess it's anything from "we're shorthanded" to "it's only 4pm but there's too many people in line already so if you come in now, we're going to turn you away because we're government employees and we want to leave on time" to "computers are down, whatever let's just gently caress off for the day."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

The first time I voted everyone at the voting station knew who I was and didn't even ask for ID. That was the year foreign observers noted that it would be shockingly easy to cheat in Norwegian elections because the whole system was built on trust. Theoretically you were required to show your ID but in reality you only had to do it if nobody knew you. The following elections I had to show ID.

But showing your ID hasn't been that controversial in Norway because most debit cards functions as ID cards and if your debit card doesn't have your picture and name on it then you most likely have a passport or driver's licence.

For years I thought was the standard around the world and was very confused at why other places supposedly more "ahead" of us were having problems with elections in any capacity.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mordaedil posted:

For years I thought was the standard around the world and was very confused at why other places supposedly more "ahead" of us were having problems with elections in any capacity.

To be fair, the US doesn't really have a problem with election fraud. Remember that Trump and the Republicans investigated election fraud after the 2016 election (since dear leader had his feelings hurt by losing the popular vote) and came up with bupkis. Voter ID isn't really necessary because of the way the system is set up.

The issue the US does have is that elements of the US population have been doing their damndest to make sure that the vote is restricted to the white "right" people.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pants Donkey posted:

This also doesn’t get into other scenarios like if you transition and have a totally different name now. There is no country-wide process for this, and in some states it’s somehow harder than getting your last name changed after getting married. I cannot imagine how obnoxious getting a national ID changed would be. Probably super annoying since the goal is to prevent voting!

Ask me about waiting for my state BMV to send me back my paperwork! The paperwork is for updating my gender marker, it's been a week and a half so far I've waited. I just wanna get my license with the right name and the F on it dammit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It is ridiculous hearing people take four months and spend hundreds to change their name, when it took me a week and maybe fifty bucks to get it done. Both circumstances in the same country.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

How is this not just someone's fetish artwork?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

How is this not just someone's fetish artwork?

That should be the thread title.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Uh... size queen in the news there lately?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

Uh... size queen in the news there lately?

Some norwegian women wrote some mean editorials about men.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Oh no, that must have been terrible. What a crime.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

....and is this cartoon in support of or against that? Even with context it's kind of incomprehensible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

....and is this cartoon in support of or against that? Even with context it's kind of incomprehensible.

She's pulling the dick off i guess?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Against.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Alhazred posted:

Not...not white men! :eek:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1045351494327959553?s=19

So just this?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

More or less: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.nrk.no/ytring/fripass-for-ubrukelige-menn-1.15401335

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Wait, that's it? I was expecting something a lot more scathing. This is just basically "We should stop treating basic decency as exceptional". Which, sure, there are pros and cons to. It's reasonable to believe that as long as the average man is below "the bare minimum of decency" that you should treat anything above that as exceptional. It's also reasonable to believe that settling for barely above competent just sets a new plateau we'll be struggling with in a few years. The article is short and basic, arguing for a straightforward position on a reasonable discussion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never used ID to vote, because every eligible voter in Denmark gets a paper card in the mail they present at the voting station. The letter also contains instruction on where the nearest polling station is and what time it is open. It could be greener, but it leaves no one out.

E: We also do have a national ID card (everyone has a state-issued health insurance card), but it is not a picture ID.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Independent:

Beyond the cute dialect (spaff wonga = "throw money at"?) the tail fin was bothering me. I think I'm looking at a submarine lying on its back and ejaculating money into the sea, and now I can't stop giggling like a 10 year old.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That is clearly the shape of a man jizzing money, yes. Which I missed, thanks for pointing it out. :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

warning cartoon boner
:nws::nws:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on UK's asylum policy – The Home Office is considering sending asylum seekers who arrive in the UK overseas to be processed, it is understood" Rockall - Wikipedia

Telegraph:

Matt Hancock confirms dip in UK Covid vaccine supply for April

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... vaccine shortage fears

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pants Donkey posted:

It is ridiculous hearing people take four months and spend hundreds to change their name, when it took me a week and maybe fifty bucks to get it done. Both circumstances in the same country.

$160 and waiting for a month and a half roughly for the Probate Court to get back to me for my hearing. Plus then the other costs involved with changing things. At least work was easy to get everything changed so far.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The sharks need to eat the fish to survive, and the fish has a better chance swimming to other sharkless waters than trying to negotiate an arrangement that places the fish at the top of Ocean Society where they eat whatever they want when they want while the sharks starve and die.

Nature metaphors are fascinating when you apply them literally :v:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ambitious Spider posted:

Did tinsley do the baby food one or was that fish man?

Are we sure these are two different people and not just a pseudonym Tinsley used to wait for the heat to die down?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

The Forgotten: The media has other higher priorities than the real victims of the Antifa BLM riots.

quote:

Chair Force One: Biden falling while climbing the stairs is no laughing matter he needs an Easy Climber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh drat what a shame, a 76 year old cartoon was in my top 3 reasons to immigrate to America, too.