Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

Were this not a global pandemic, I would put serious consideration into seeing a Mt Westmore concert

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1372215323772948482

Lol, this is awesome. I cant wait to see what triller does with the Teofimo lopez card they got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

I was a buyer anyways but it seems kind of wasteful to have what are some very big acts in music performing two or three songs at most. Triller making whatever Venture Capital/Ponzi Scheme cash they have count I guess?

Edit: Also details but Diplo is part of Major Lazer so I'm not sure why he'd be listed separately unless he was doing, like a solo dj set as well

Jump King posted:

Honestly the traditional promoters have been doing the same thing for too long so I’m interested to see how these guys mix stuff up

You guys are thinking of this in terms of a boxing event that is being put on to generate revenue. It isn't. It's a marketing campaign that as a happy bonus also has revenue-generating potential. There's no such thing as "wasteful" in advertising and Triller probably considers it money well spent that we're all now posting about them regardless of whether any of us buy the PPV or not.

It could well be the case that "pay celebrities to spar in a boxing ring and sell tickets" is on its own a successful, viable, sustainable business model that traditional promoters have been too scared to try, but in any event Triller doesn't need it to be, they have other sources of revenue.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Canelo-BJS will be held at AT&T Stadium with up to 70,000 in attendance so if you've been vaccinated or feel like risking it that's something you could do on May 8th

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

70000 screaming healthcare workers

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It doesn't even seem to be an outdoor arena. :cmon:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's got a retractable roof, but I'd be shocked if they don't have it closed

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dope I should be vaccinated by then

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

70000 screaming healthcare workers

Or 70,000 old people

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2021/0319/1205078-katie-taylor-set-for-may-day-fight-with-natasha-jonas/

Katie Taylor set for May Day fight with Natasha Jonas

Can't wait for that

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

what's the narrative here? never heard of these ladies.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

what's the narrative here? never heard of these ladies.

Katie Taylor is the 2nd or 3rd best female boxer in the world and Jonas is also a boxer who has a Wikipedia page

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

Jonas is also a boxer who has a Wikipedia page

*whistles* good poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Katie Taylor is really really good.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Just saw Lawrence Okolie for the first time and was really impressed. He looked like a young Lennox Lewis dominating and knocking out Krystof Glowacki, who’s a 2 time former titlist and gave Oleksandr Usyk a competitive decision. He’s got the size to compete at heavyweight at 6’5 with a 6’10 reach. If he can gain enough weight and can carry his power to heavyweight, he’ll make waves there.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This Ortiz-Hooker fight loving rocks!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Just saw Lawrence Okolie for the first time and was really impressed.

He's really good, but this is like the first time he's actually looked impressive and fun to watch. He used to make some of the most boring fights around.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Vergil Ortiz is a beast, but he gets hit an awful lot. I don’t think he could beat Spence or Crawford, but he probably beats everyone else in the welterweight division.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Vergil Ortiz is a beast, but he gets hit an awful lot. I don’t think he could beat Spence or Crawford, but he probably beats everyone else in the welterweight division.

He's only 22, so I'm hoping he can refine his high guard a little bit more. Even still, it's not like most opponents are going to want to stand and trade. I think he's only a couple fights away from challenging for a title.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
genuinely don't know who this is going to appeal to

https://twitter.com/OnlyFans/status/1372639400736264194?s=20

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jose posted:

genuinely don't know who this is going to appeal to

https://twitter.com/OnlyFans/status/1372639400736264194?s=20

Me :)

Also another depressing tweet

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1373472150175297539

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If Crawford vs Spence never happens (or happens when it's way too late), obviously their respective legacies are tarnished forever. I don't really understand that possibility at all, as a fight (or multiple fights) between the two is not only THE legacy fight at welterweight for their generation, but it's also by far the most lucrative option for both of them. There are no legacy fights, or even particularly lucrative fights, at 147 or 154. There's no one on the horizon at either division that really matters at all.

Terence Crawford is 33 years old. Errol Spence turns 32 this year. Who are these guys going to fight? Yordenis Ugas? Jamal James? David Avanesyan? 147 is pretty barren. 154 is even worse. Even Vergil Ortiz, while a good fighter, isn't a legacy fight at this point. Fights like that make these guys low 7 figures. A Crawford/Spence fight likely makes them both 8 figures and also raises their public profile more than 10 fights against lesser opponents would.

Just a head shaking misstep through whichever lens you view it through if this fight never happens.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Spence doesn't want it. There may not be any fight for him as lucrative as Crawford, but consider that against Danny Garcia he made $8 million as a guaranteed purse, and with PPV revenue that may have been an 8 figure fight. That's probably lucrative enough for Spence. Granted not every fighter is going to have the drawing power or name that Danny Garcia has, but that's a pretty good payday for what most fans viewed as a tune-up fight.

Spence is probably not that concerned about his legacy, he'd rather get paid and right now he's got a guaranteed stream of revenue. He's making hay while the sun shines, he likely feels Crawford will be there for him in a year or two when his options dry up.

A Crawford win may give Spence the profile boost of 10 other fights. But 10 other fights are probably financially worth more for Spence than a Crawford loss + nine following fights.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 24, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Crawford doesn’t want it either

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Neither does Bob Arum
Neither does Al Haymon
Neither does Derrick James
Neither does Brian McIntyre

Literally the fight no one other than fans wants

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh but I want it so bad

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

I was a buyer anyways but it seems kind of wasteful to have what are some very big acts in music performing two or three songs at most. Triller making whatever Venture Capital/Ponzi Scheme cash they have count I guess?
Snoop's a partner in Triller's boxing stuff, which explains his involvement.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jump King posted:

I think Crawford wants it but is just over it. Unfortunately he's pretty bad at self promotion and doesn't seem to understand there would be value in him talking up a fight. He doesn't want to go out and beg for a match if it's not going to happen.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
*Puts on Johnny Carson swami hat and hold notecard to head*

Errol Spence will never fight Terence Crawford because Vergil Ortiz will brutally knock out Crawford then Spence, ending their careers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tyson announced he's fighting holyfield again despite holyfield not wanting to since the money isn't enough

i assume 100% of the people interested in watching this are hoping for more biting

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
what if holyfield bites tyson this time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Have yall seen Holyfield in an interview lately? The CTE is bad, and he should not be fighting.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I felt the same way about Roy Jones tbh.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
SPARING NO EXPENSE

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1375146851389878285?s=19

Edit: Also Antonio Tarver was literally too old to be licenses in Georgia so now Frank Mir will be boxing Steve Cunningham

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 25, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
TikTok Stars is a phrase that my 33 year old ears is not ready for

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

SPARING NO EXPENSE

Edit: Also Antonio Tarver was literally too old to be licenses in Georgia so now Frank Mir will be boxing Steve Cunningham

oh poo poo Frank Mir is super definitely going to die now. That age advantage was all he had going for him.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The SituAsian posted:

SPARING NO EXPENSE

Reminder that Cunningham is one of only two men ever to score a KD vs Tyson Fury, so yeah Mir is hosed

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Troy Queef posted:

Reminder that Cunningham is one of only two men ever to score a KD vs Tyson Fury, so yeah Mir is hosed

That's quite the loving opponent change holy poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The SituAsian posted:

SPARING NO EXPENSE

9 commentators for a boxing match. cool.

Troy Queef posted:

he also went toe-to-toe with adamek in his prime and went the distance

i wonder who saw 29-9 and thought “yeah just a journeyman who had a cup of coffee with a title this should be fine”

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

USS Cunningham is the man and I'm way more interested in that fight now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Really looking forward to possibly having the Lopez-Kambosos commentary team consist of Brian Kenny, David Dobrik, Megan Thee Stallion, Sugar Ray Leonard, Dan Rafael and Pokimane

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 26, 2021