Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zil posted:

I don't remember that scene at all. Guess I just blackholed it in my memory after watching it.

The only reason I was able to finish that episode is because I was so incredibly hammered on vodka for New Years I was afraid if I looked away or fell asleep I would die in my sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sherlock was almost impressive with how quickly it managed to drop in quality.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edge & Christian posted:

9-1-1 spun out 9-1-1 Lone Star though I don't know if they backdoor piloted it or not.

Lone Star didn't have a backdoor pilot, there was only a crossover episode in Season 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phy posted:

The David Morse character who bounced off House's plot armor like a bb gun off a battleship? I wouldna minded seeing him get a new show, I liked that one where he was a cabbie who solved crimes

Nah, not him. The shlubby amoral little poo poo that Cuddy was dating in season... four? I forget when. Was his name Lucas? He sucked anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Remember when the fat detective gets House put in inpatient rehab and the episode ends with him doing really terrible white guy rap with that annoying weird lil guy? And now that annoying weird lil guy has the most successful musical ever, filled with that exact same cringeworthy awful rap?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sherlock was almost impressive with how quickly it managed to drop in quality.

i don't know if it ever actually had quality per se, but it did appear to have a lot of potential by seemingly having all the right pieces in terms of talent, creative direction and production and sometimes it did all come together for a couple decent scenes

but it just never completely found its groove and clicked and, as the series went on, it sorta became obvious it never would

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

What was the last backdoor pilot which got a show lasting a full season?

I know Vampire Diaries had a spin off that also had a spin off. It also had this monstrosity

https://youtu.be/PxcVabGx484

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Surprisingly no, it was some PI character from the terrible later seasons.

I think I read the doctor from the mental institution he checked himself into was also going to get a spin off? I'm not bothering to fact check that though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed their version of Moriarty

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I enjoyed their version of Moriarty

If I remember right, Moriarty is one of the characters who only shows up in later Sherlock Holmes stories and absolutely cannot be used unless you pay those copyright holders.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

Remember when the fat detective gets House put in inpatient rehab and the episode ends with him doing really terrible white guy rap with that annoying weird lil guy? And now that annoying weird lil guy has the most successful musical ever, filled with that exact same cringeworthy awful rap?

My wife and I watched Hamilton recently and it was almost like a reality show with the premise of "We pulled some random shlub off the street and made him the star of a Broadway musical!". It's crazy how pretty much everyone else was substantially more talented than the star.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are the copyrights expensive , just want to know if the mehish cartoon "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" paid a pretty penny to have a clone of Moriarty do future things in in the 22nd Century.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

The Moon Monster posted:

My wife and I watched Hamilton recently and it was almost like a reality show with the premise of "We pulled some random shlub off the street and made him the star of a Broadway musical!". It's crazy how pretty much everyone else was substantially more talented than the star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CameSDK-2m8

Obviously not entirely representative of his ability today, but him in this video is always what I think of when I think of Lin-Manuel Miranda

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Isn't Moriarty barely in the original stories at all - I mean literally never mentioned then suddenly he's the arch nemesis in one or two stories and then dies?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sweevo posted:

Isn't Moriarty barely in the original stories at all - I mean literally never mentioned then suddenly he's the arch nemesis in one or two stories and then dies?

Yeah. I enjoyed the Guy Ritchie version of Moriarty (though the movie was bad) - all the way through the movies Sherlock has been planning out his fights in his head before he executes his plan, and when he and Moriarty have a fight suddenly Moriarty takes over the "planning" and it starts being a fight-telepathy-conversation between Moriarty and Sherlock where previously it was always just Sherlock considering exactly how he's going to dunk on his opponent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phy posted:

The David Morse character who bounced off House's plot armor like a bb gun off a battleship? I wouldna minded seeing him get a new show, I liked that one where he was a cabbie who solved crimes

No, it was some quirky, sloppy weirdo in hawaiian shirts with a whole extended cast who got along with House and was as smart as him. It was a backdoor pilot in the truest sense of the term, where they shove a character intended for another show into the show they already have for three episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sweevo posted:

IIRC yes, he's in two stories. One that introduces him and one that kills him and Sherlock off (Sherlock got better.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, pop-culture made him into way more of an archnemesis than the actual stories ever did, though it's not hard to see why.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Actually his first appearance was where he died. He only showed up in a prequel novel where Holmes vaguely eludes to him.

(Final problem and Valley of Fear respectedly)

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Zil posted:

I don't remember that scene at all. Guess I just blackholed it in my memory after watching it.

Ooh, check out the fancypants with an oubliette in their memory palace!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

No, it was some quirky, sloppy weirdo in hawaiian shirts with a whole extended cast who got along with House and was as smart as him. It was a backdoor pilot in the truest sense of the term, where they shove a character intended for another show into the show they already have for three episodes.

I think it was this guy if I remember correctly:
https://house.fandom.com/wiki/Lucas_Douglas

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, pop-culture made him into way more of an archnemesis than the actual stories ever did, though it's not hard to see why.

No joke The Real Ghostbusters did an amazing episode with Holmes and Sherlock. Basically, they are made real because they are so well known they are willed into existence.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think it was this guy if I remember correctly:
https://house.fandom.com/wiki/Lucas_Douglas

God that show got so bad after season 3-4.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

1 posted:

Ooh, check out the fancypants with an oubliette in their memory palace!

I don't view it as a palace, more like a dumpster heap where I bury the anxieties and traumas.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mooseontheloose posted:

No joke The Real Ghostbusters did an amazing episode with Holmes and Sherlock. Basically, they are made real because they are so well known they are willed into existence.

Also Cthulhu episode owned.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also Cthulhu episode owned.

When I was a kid my favorite episode was The Thing in Mrs. Faversham's Attic which is a very lovecraftian episode also

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

there’s a youtube channel (official, I believe) releasing an episode of The Real Ghostbusters a week from the start, and at the very least the first handful or so hold up well on the design and animation fronts. of course there’s top-tier voice acting as well, and a surprisingly catchy tune or two thrown in

it’s a kids’ show, but so far it’s definitely a little more :effortless: than :effort: in ways that show

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

how about when sherlock holmes fell into a time portal and met up with bravestarr, marshal of planet new texas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO-6NfhutQU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Recently rewatched a episode or two of Battlestar Galactica (the remake) and it just seems so utterly bleak and just needlessly dark. I think that was a complaint at the time of airing but i don’t know how well it’s “mature, edgy, very 2000s” atmosphere has aged or if it’s just me wanting more inspiring science fiction in our hell world

Also, some Carlin bits aged very badly. https://youtu.be/mUvdXxhLPa8

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is a strict technical sense in which use determines meaning, but I feel like the whole liberal apparatus 1946-2015 re: how to defeat fascism and threats to democracy through open and public dialogue that discredits bad ideas and shows people the truth really did not meet the test and has aged extremely badly.

We know a lot more about how little to trust people now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

did you watch more than like 10 seconds of this because the whole point is "the intent and context is the most important part of saying any of these words and please assess who's saying them - and I myself am the whitest motherfucker ever"

like you can quibble with the general idea of george carlin saying a bunch of slurs as a comedy routine, and again, he literally lampshades it

but the central idea is very much not "well these are just words, they don't HURT anyone, there's nothing WRONG with them"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DrBouvenstein posted:

One of several superhero shows, probably.

Flash appeared in Arrow first before he got a show. I don't watch the Arrow-verse, but I imagine the other shows (Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning) have similar origins?

I love the Arrowverse so I can answer these ones:

Barry Allen did indeed first appear in Arrow, although the episode ended with the event that made him the Flash.

Legends of Tomorrow started as basically 'let's give all the side characters we like from Arrow and The Flash their own show'. It's hard to say exactly when Legends of Tomorrow started materializing as an actual planned show, but there was an Arrow and Flash crossover about Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Vandal Savage that was definitely setup for Legends' first season.

Batwoman first turned up for an annual Arrowverse crossover, specifically Elseworlds.

Superman and Lois is a more conventional 'let's give these popular characters their own show', they were regulars on Supergirl and got some big parts in the crossovers. Naturally, given... you know, Superman.

Supergirl and Black Lightning both started off as alternate universes in shows made by the same people. Supergirl had a crossover episode with the Flash in her first season, but it took until the latest crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, for Black Lightning to come in. The same crossover also brought in Lucifer.

Aaaaand that one Constantine show on NBC that you only barely remember got to cross over with Arrow while it was still timely, and later its Constantine joined the cast of Legends of Tomorrow. But in that case it was more of a 'what can we salvage from this show that's getting cancelled'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think Legends started off as an Atom spinoff before they made it into an ensemble piece.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Arivia posted:

did you watch more than like 10 seconds of this because the whole point is "the intent and context is the most important part of saying any of these words and please assess who's saying them - and I myself am the whitest motherfucker ever"

like you can quibble with the general idea of george carlin saying a bunch of slurs as a comedy routine, and again, he literally lampshades it

but the central idea is very much not "well these are just words, they don't HURT anyone, there's nothing WRONG with them"

Oh, I absolutely know that. I’m just meaning that on first glance- if one was not familiar with Carlin’s life- it can come off as something very different.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flash was a funny situation where it was supposed to get a backdoor pilot on Arrow to gauge interest but CW executives were so happy with early footage they ordered it straight to series instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

Oh, I absolutely know that. I’m just meaning that on first glance- if one was not familiar with Carlin’s life- it can come off as something very different.

oh okay, that makes more sense.

and yeah, carlin does look a bit weird now if you don't know the context

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cleretic posted:

Superman and Lois is a more conventional 'let's give these popular characters their own show', they were regulars on Supergirl and got some big parts in the crossovers. Naturally, given... you know, Superman.

I wish they were regulars on Supergirl. Superman shows up a few times in season 2. Then he never shows up again unless it is part of a big crossover. Lois appears for the first time in a crossover, she has never interacted with her sister. (who was a regular in season 1 then disappeared when the show switched networks.) Despite this he is shown in the intro for every episode in seasons 3, 4, and I think 5.

Superman & Lois is by far the best Arrowverse spinoff atm. Hopefully the rest of the season can maintain the quality of the first few episodes.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Someday they'll make a Constantine adaption that isn't bad and wrong maybe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Volcott posted:

Someday they'll make a Constantine adaption that isn't bad and wrong maybe.

Honestly, Constantine is really good on Legends of Tomorrow. Maybe the thing they really needed to make him work was a world he's not the center of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Nckdictator posted:

Recently rewatched a episode or two of Battlestar Galactica (the remake) and it just seems so utterly bleak and just needlessly dark. I think that was a complaint at the time of airing but i don’t know how well it’s “mature, edgy, very 2000s” atmosphere has aged or if it’s just me wanting more inspiring science fiction in our hell world

I'm doing a BSG rewatch now and I'd forgotten how glacial the pacing is in some of these episodes. Lots of deep meaningful looks and characters looking pained with the color gradients cranked to 11.

It's still good, but definitely a slow burn. Things picked up a lot in Season 2 when they start to focus on the cylon point of view, because honestly, they're the most interesting characters. And I remember Season 4 just being batshit insane because the writers remembered that they had to come up with 5 new cylons and it turns out they're all connected because in a previous life they were in a Hendrix cover band. I'm looking forward to it.