Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Potentially stupid question but we just got back from the local shop after picking up a packet of flora but the date on it is from 5 days ago.

It doesn't say if the date is a best before or use by date or anything, so we're not sure if it's safe to eat.

It's flora so we figure dairy based stuff could be risky. Anyone got a clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flora isn't dairy based, that's the point. But you could just take it back and they should swap it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kin posted:

Potentially stupid question but we just got back from the local shop after picking up a packet of flora but the date on it is from 5 days ago.

It doesn't say if the date is a best before or use by date or anything, so we're not sure if it's safe to eat.

it’s spelled flour

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Venomous posted:

also, I'm getting some prawn crackers tonight with my Chinese takeaway and I'm really looking forward to them, do they count as crisps

I never thought of that before, but if they do then I finally have an answer to this question after years of crispchat.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Prawn crackers are allowed as crisps despite their radical base but they also aren't very good so they aren't the best crisps.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Google says its fine as long as it doesn't smell rancid or taste weird.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kin posted:

I don't know about Flora in particular but some foods have a packaging date as well as a best before/use by. Also best before is fine to eat for a bit after and I doubt flora would go particularly bad quickly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Prawn Crackers are Quavers.
Quavers are Prawn Crackers.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 19, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kin posted:

you could take it back, even if you don't have a receipt they'll know you were in today

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Prawn Crackers are Quavers.
Quavers are Prawn Crackers.

If you've got a Chinese supermarket near you you can probably pick up uncooked prawn crackers - they're basically like little pucks of starch that you deep fry and they expand out like slow-mo popcorn, it's sort of hypnotic.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Well done everyone we did it :toot:

https://twitter.com/PoliDigitalUK/status/1372944339781832706?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bump_fn posted:

labour is controlled opposition stop treating them like a real party

I know it's hard to believe but the Labour right do literally think what they are doing is how to win

It is true that their first priority is securing their own seats and power first but they do actually want to win

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

MikeCrotch posted:

I know it's hard to believe but the Labour right do literally think what they are doing is how to win

It is true that their first priority is securing their own seats and power first but they do actually want to win

they have a funny way of showing it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

It's cargo-culting the Blair years. I mean most of them are more or less of my age range, which came of age in the mid-late 90s, and so genuinely believe all you need to win is a nice haircut and a relentless hatred of the left.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't and can't believe this. I think their motivation is entirely to have some veneer of power in opposition jobs for as long as possible. To maximise that you must do as little as possible.

It's lovely careerism to have a "prestigious" job, not to change anything or make the world a better place.

They think that wanting change is juvenile politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

None of that is necessarily opposed to them wanting to be in charge, though :v:

They could have actual power to do nothing in government, as well. And it is much better on your CV.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Huh? We were already behind like Czech Republic and Belgium in death rate, have been for ages. Our death rate is loving shocking, mind you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Cheers for all the flora replies. Our local shop is rife for this kind of thing and i clearly don't have a loving clue what i'm putting into my body.

We took biscuits back a few months ago and have kept an eye on the things we get since then as there's been loads of other out of date stuff we've spotted on the shelves (including milk).

We didn't spot it this time, but now don't want to end up being that awkward couple round the corner that keep bringing the out of date stuff back. Presumably other folk aren't giving a poo poo (or aren't noticing) if they keep doing it all the time.

It's got all the trappings of some 70's BBC sitcom. All i need is a B plot involving a disgruntled neighbour with a dog that eats all the flora before making GBS threads all over the garden or something.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 19, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
scampi nik naks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it like an independent shop or something because it's bizzare to me that a local supermarket would go through milk (or maggie) so slowly as to have it go out of date.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

scampi nik naks

:yeah:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kin posted:

Cheers for all the flora replies. Our local shop is rife for this kind of thing and i clearly don't have a loving clue what i'm putting into my body.

We took biscuits back a few months ago and have been kept an eye on the things we get since then as there's been loads of other out of date stuff we've spotted on the shelves (including milk).

We didn't spot it this time, but now don't want to end up being that awkward couple round the corner that keep bringing the out of date stuff back. Presumably other folk aren't giving a poo poo (or aren't noticing) if they keep doing it all the time.

It's got all the trappings of some 70's BBC sitcom. All i need is a B plot involving a disgruntled neighbour with a dog that eats all the flora before making GBS threads all over the garden or something.

Bring the full force of the FSA down on them like a tonne of bricks.

Speaking of dodgy food my local Chinese has a big sticker on the door, and from the inside you can see through the back of the sticker and it's covering a 3* FSA rating. That's illegal right? It's been like that for years. I also don't want to know what the gently caress they did to get 3*.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kin posted:

*5 seconds later* We regret to inform you that the neighbour is a racist caricature.

*5 decades later* We regret to inform you that an entire political movement with several parties and a news channel has coalesced around the false idea that Mister Singh's lovely Dog has been banned by Netflix.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

what if i were to tell you theres ratings lower than that

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Did the Mail ever print that front-page apology, or are they just hoping everybody's forgotten about it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

i want to eat them in the pub so bad

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Namtab posted:

what if i were to tell you theres ratings lower than that

The pub my games club used to meet at had a 1* rating. They got shut down for health violations, about a week after we had our Christmas party there.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Thelma_DWalker/status/1372976395043880972?s=19

Well now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Imagine having to condemn MILFs

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

stev posted:

Bring the full force of the FSA down on them like a tonne of bricks.

Speaking of dodgy food my local Chinese has a big sticker on the door, and from the inside you can see through the back of the sticker and it's covering a 3* FSA rating. That's illegal right? It's been like that for years. I also don't want to know what the gently caress they did to get 3*.

I hold a 5*, and it is... not difficult to get. At all. And I’m a loving slob at the best of times. It’s certainly made me a lot warier of where I eat.

Like have (and use) hand washing facilities, a cleaning system and practice sensible food storage. That’s literally all you really need to do. If you combine that with HACCP paperwork and understanding then you almost have to consciously try to get a low rating.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Payndz posted:

Did the Mail ever print that front-page apology, or are they just hoping everybody's forgotten about it?

its the mail on sunday that has to do it and i dont know if they did because i only read the mail online

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why on earth would you bet on either labour or the NIP? They're going for the same voters, the most likely outcome is a split combined with a lovely candidate, the previous one resigning, and declining vote share meaning the tories get the seat.

Honestly some people are loving stupid.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gonzo McFee posted:

Bold of you to come out in favour of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
A good bet can still be (and often is) on an outcome other than the most likely one.

Crispchat is fine but I feel like we were actually getting somewhere with the NIP stuff - I think if I'm going to support it I really do want the full story of what happened with the no-platforming thing. If both Rumda and C-NIP (and anyone else who was about) could find the time to write a little more about what, exactly, happened, I think a lot of people would appreciate it. Whether I support the NIP depends on it, cos I really would find it hard to support a party that thinks platforming fash and terfs is cool and good. I could handle some people naively believing it is but if that's the only acceptable position in the party then... yeah, not good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Camrath posted:

I hold a 5*, and it is... not difficult to get. At all. And I’m a loving slob at the best of times. It’s certainly made me a lot warier of where I eat.

Like have (and use) hand washing facilities, a cleaning system and practice sensible food storage. That’s literally all you really need to do. If you combine that with HACCP paperwork and understanding then you almost have to consciously try to get a low rating.

Yeah, when I was doing chef training, it was pretty distressing to discover how low the bar is for 5*, and how many restaurants apparently don't meet that.

And even if you get pulled up for something egregious, most of the time it's "If you promise you'll fix that at some point, you can stay open".

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gonzo McFee posted:

Williams could claw back a few %s by apologising for thinking it was ever okay to have sex with a Tory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Continuity NIP posted:

Bold of you to come out in favour of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtWRxBc3H3g

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
E: lol what the gently caress is wrong with me

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 19, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I regret to inform you that Lisa Ann has joined the Tory party. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Camrath posted:

Yeah it puts me on edge a bit. What's worse is that none of the delivery apps bother telling you the ratings of the filth holes you're ordering from. Displaying your rating isn't even a legal requirement in England. :wtc: