Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Caithness posted:

Zero mission is a pale imitation of 1. My least favorite 2D Metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

original metroid is one of the last games i can remember trying to draw the map as i explored it. i'm always going to love it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Zero mission includes the entirety of Metroid 1 on the cart but you can save your game in progress instead of killing yourself, writing down a really long case sensitive password, then restarting with 30 energy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the sequence breaking shortcuts in zero mission are so awesome

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ballsparking ftw

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Caithness posted:

Zero mission is a pale imitation of 1. My least favorite 2D Metroid.
Lmao I knew you'd say something like this.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lmfao

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

metroid 1 is kind of cool because its like a distillation of all the weird bad/hostile tendencies of early jp pc msx platformers and like, adventure 2 on the atari and they make it into something playable but its still sort of annoying esp having to get TWO ice beams. annoying!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played the original metroid games. I like hollow knight which is basically the same right

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Gee samus how come your mom lets ypu have two ice beams.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m seein double here! Four ice beams!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Klowner posted:

I've never played the original metroid games. I like hollow knight which is basically the same right
:blastu:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrACWQvzHw

but instead of Super Metroid, it's Metroid Prime
and I'm realizing I missed the Ice Shriekbat scan and it's a permanent miss
and I'm realizing I have to play the game again to get it
and I'm realizing I'm massively autistic

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

i don't think anyone will fall for this but good luck

i stand corrected

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

twice beams

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

the original Metroid is really cool. you got to respect the original that spawned this amazing series. but with the heavy hitters in the series it's not close to the top tier. only Metroid II is worse than it, or maybe Other M because it's just such a huge miss on what makes Metroid fantastic. Zero Mission is a gift from the gamer gods, who in their benevolence gave us the original in such a fantastic new game that really highlights the best that the series has to offer. for me, Super Metroid will always have the top spot, it's what set the tone for the rest of the games.

i really should check out the 3DS remake of Metroid II or maybe that fanmade one. it has such an important place in the plotline but i've never wanted to play it for more than a few minutes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the fanmake of metroid 2 is really cool, there's a bit of a lull when you get the spiderball and the game expects you to slowly crawl around looking for the next upgrade but you get spacejump soon after and never use that again lol. otherwise its great

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Am2r owns and is better than the official remake

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also prime 3 kinda sucks but I have a soft spot for doing the nunchuck waggle whip move that can suck the life out of enemies until they explode

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wanted to hate prime 3 when I replayed it recently and you get codec calls every 10 seconds telling you what to do but the game has fantastic locations, and everything about the space pirate homeworld+finale is sick as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I rly like the level where you build a low orbit tactical nuke and then ride it to the surface dr strangelove style

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
am2r is super fuckin sick. shame the metroid fights themselves werent that good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The prime games are prime foot long steamers from my rear end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i never played them so i wouldnt know. only thing i know is that theres an area called Torvus Bog.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i will say in mp3 youre using the same basic power beam for half the game, then you get a very tiny incremental upgrade, and then the very final upgrade before the finale is an ultrabeam that nukes everything in 1-2 shots. missiles are also useless the whole game. the firepower upgrades could've been spread out a little better lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

extremebuff posted:

i will say in mp3 youre using the same basic power beam for half the game, then you get a very tiny incremental upgrade, and then the very final upgrade before the finale is an ultrabeam that nukes everything in 1-2 shots. missiles are also useless the whole game. the firepower upgrades could've been spread out a little better lol

the plasma beam looks so cool though

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

The prime games are prime foot long steamers from my rear end

prime 1 is one of the best games ever made

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in fusion everytime you think you've gone off the brick road and discovered a huge secret path you're right where the story wants you, once I accepted this I just had fun with it. it's a great game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

i never played them so i wouldnt know. only thing i know is that theres an area called Torvus Bog.

I’m Torvus Bog. Welcome to Jackass

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Metroid Fusion is a Shadow Complex-tier Metroidvania game. It's good, it's still pizza. But it's a Mr. P's 99 cent frozen pizza.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mycophobia posted:

I only ever played up to the phazon pirate boss and couldn't beat it because I am a bad gamer and it's kind of a bullet sponge. but still agreed, my lack of skill notwithstanding

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I just bought a mayflash dolphin bar to replay the mp trilogy in 1440p

This is my rainy weekend plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Prime 1 Ridley is like a 15 minute fight just cause it has so much hp. Fusion Ridley is a 2 minute butthole clencher where you try to unload 150 missiles as fast as humanly possible