Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zombie Dachshund posted:

So this time I think I’m just going to pay the $60 for an official Nintendo product, figuring it will be better made and last longer.
Overall that's generally true but it's still worth looking at reviews or asking for recommendations as there's both problems with Nintendo's official controllers (although plenty of things they do very well too), and there's third-party controllers that are just as well built.

The Pro Controller, specifically, has a jank d-pad. Is it good enough for your kid? Probably. Everything else about it is pretty good if a bit expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zombie Dachshund posted:

No kidding!

Especially frustrating is that when the cable first stopped working, I told the kid he could get a wireless controller as a Christmas present. He picked out a third party controller because he liked the color; sure enough, it broke after two months. So this time I think I’m just going to pay the $60 for an official Nintendo product, figuring it will be better made and last longer. And if I can get a working cable for the old controller, we’ll have two controllers for epic Smash tournaments.

The Pro controller is a beast and well-worth the money. Great battery and super comfortable. My launch one is going strong.

I personally never had an issue with the d-pad, though some people don't care for it. I wonder if it depends on how you use it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Pro Controller rules but the d-pad is inexcusable garbage. The d-pad on the new Xbox controllers is amazing, but something about the shape of the grip of that controller hurts my hands compared to the absolute comfiness of the Pro Controller shell. Also it still uses AA batteries like wtf.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Wii U Pro Controller is still the best controller ever made (note I've never used the Xbox Elite).

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wonder if it depends on how you use it.

It does.

There are two ways people use D-Pads.

The Nintendo Way and the Sega Way.

The Nintendo Way: Have your thumb hover over the DPad and press down left, right, down, or up when needed. When switching quickly you let go of one side and hover to the other and push it down.

The Sega Way: Keep your thumb in the middle of the pad and "mush" it to the direction you want to go to like an analog stick. When changing directions your thumb does not come up from the pad.

If you use the pad the Nintendo Way you won't have any issues. If you use it the Sega Way then you will have lots of "accidental" vertical inputs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's official, monster hunter payment day

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Len posted:

I cant wait for monster hunter payment day

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Nintendo Way: Have your thumb hover over the DPad and press down left, right, down, or up when needed. When switching quickly you let go of one side and hover to the other and push it down.

The Sega Way: Keep your thumb in the middle of the pad and "mush" it to the direction you want to go to like an analog stick. When changing directions your thumb does not come up from the pad.

If you use the pad the Nintendo Way you won't have any issues. If you use it the Sega Way then you will have lots of "accidental" vertical inputs.
This is incredibly dumb lmfao.

Go ahead and beat SMB1 by "hovering" your thumb over inputs as needed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Len posted:

I finally got to use the credit I had on my account from when Wal Mart had that $70 eshop card for $50.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Wii U Pro Controller is still the best controller ever made (note I've never used the Xbox Elite).

It does.

Where the hell did you get this weird idea? This isn't even slightly true, and it has nothing to do with the pad's problems. For a start it rocks left and right when you're trying to just press up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

It does.

If by hover you mean keeping your thumb over the center, and then hitting down and left with the heel of the your thumb and up and right with the tip, then yes. That's how I do it anyway. By heel I mean the joint.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It does.

what in the world

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh, I didn't realize this is a third party controller. Is this good?
https://www.costco.com/nintendo-switch-animal-crossing-game-and-powera-wireless-controller.product.100679707.html
If you can't see it, it's a bundle of Animal Crossing + PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for $93.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

American McGay posted:

The Pro Controller rules but the d-pad is inexcusable garbage. The d-pad on the new Xbox controllers is amazing, but something about the shape of the grip of that controller hurts my hands compared to the absolute comfiness of the Pro Controller shell. Also it still uses AA batteries like wtf.

Gotta get that money on the play and charge kits! Either toss $25 at MS for the official one or jump on amazon and spend slightly less for more batteries and a longer charge cable.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Hades Physical is out. Yay or nay?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

guys help i can't figure out how to diagonal inputs i'm doing it "nintendo style" if that helps

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Op, op op, oppa Sega Style

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

joylessdivision posted:

Gotta get that money on the play and charge kits! Either toss $25 at MS for the official one or jump on amazon and spend slightly less for more batteries and a longer charge cable.

Get Eneloops or Ikea Ladda or Amazon Basics made in Japan + a charger that has individual slots. They're very good. There might be other good brands out there now too, but I have some Eneloops close to 10 years old that still work OK.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imagining a tech-illiterate grandpa hunting and pecking the direction buttons trying to beat the celeste b-sides

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glassyalabolas posted:

Depends why

If you like boxes then yes

If it's for resale then assume 99% of people who want it already have it digitally and resale wont be high

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Charles posted:

https://www.costco.com/nintendo-switch-animal-crossing-game-and-powera-wireless-controller.product.100679707.html
If you can't see it, it's a bundle of Animal Crossing + PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for $93.

My general rule of thumb is to not get 3rd party controllers except for weird expensive specialty stuff, but if your kid already has it and likes it then rock on, just buy a few backup cables if you manage to find any.

If the controller starts giving him trouble though then either spring for a Nintendo brand pro controller or just have him use two joycons.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWKYZ0

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Charles posted:

Yeah that's third party but I've never had an issue with PowerA controllers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The PowerA wireless controllers are fine, my older brother has been using one for a year now and it's never had a problem. It doesn't feel nearly as good as the official controller but the d-pad doesn't register weird up inputs, and it was like a third of the price.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it the offputting comments odd being that I posted the exact same thing in here a few months ago and basically everyone agreed. :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK cool, Costco has a good warranty on stuff too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

glassyalabolas posted:

Have you played it before? If not, then Jesus Christ pick it up immediately you dum dum. If you have and just want it for collector sake, then whatever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it the offputting comments odd being that I posted the exact same thing in here a few months ago and basically everyone agreed. :shrug:

It's just messed up because if you just look at the options out there, adopting a ColecoVision Style is going to net you the best results across all systems.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

It does.

This is sort of true but also completely backwards. The cleverness of the d-pad design is that it let's you roll your thumb around for smooth, quick adjustments. I don't know what Sega or Nintendo has to do with it, thumb rolling is probably the intended way to use any of those early controllers. I think it's more a Playstation thing to treat a d-pad like 4 directional buttons since that's how that controller was designed.

It's true that thumb-rolling on the Switch Pro controller does lead to more frequent accidental inputs though. The issue is every other Nintendo controller has supported thumb rolling so it's weird they made a crappy one that gives you that doesn't really work if you do that.

Anyway the other thing people always forget about the d-pad whenever this heated discussion pops up every 20 pages: the Switch pro controller d-pad does suck but it sucks in a way that isn't really noticeable in 90% of games. If you play Super Mario Bros. and try to input "right" and the controller interprets that as "up right" it doesn't really make any difference. You notice the d-pad issue a lot more in games like Celeste (where the direction of your dash is the difference between dying and not dying) or Tetris (up triggering hard drop). You can also sometimes notice it when navigating big menu screens or in grid-based strategy games like Fire Emblem but it doesn't really matter there because it's easy to correct a mis-input there.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nintendo and Sega style are my favorite parts of the Kama Sutra

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I finally got to use the credit I had on my account from when Wal Mart had that $70 eshop card for $50.

:same:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nintendo and Sega style are my favorite parts of the Kama Sutra

gimmie some of that BLAST PROCESSING

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Charles posted:

Get Eneloops or Ikea Ladda or Amazon Basics made in Japan + a charger that has individual slots. They're very good. There might be other good brands out there now too, but I have some Eneloops close to 10 years old that still work OK.

A pair of basic Eneloop AAs holds 3800mAh so you also get to go forever and ever without having to worry about charge levels.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1373018653529018370?s=19

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The Bloop posted:

Nintendo branded ones are just overpriced products for grandparents

I actually bought the nintendo branded card just because I thought it would be less likely to be counterfeit. I also read that it was a good card, albeit a bit overpriced.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone play Hard West? It goes on deep sale frequently. I've been hemming and hawing over it for months now

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I'll probably get a physical copy but is there any word on how the switch port runs?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moop Moop posted:

I'll probably get a physical copy but is there any word on how the switch port runs?

People reported that the Japanese release had very poor performance on Switch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's a PS2 game, how can it be that bad?

It wasn't even that complex for THAT console.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

American McGay posted:

This is incredibly dumb lmfao.

Go ahead and beat SMB1 by "hovering" your thumb over inputs as needed.
I’ve seen some people play like this. They suck and don’t constantly hold down the run button either.

The Postman posted:

guys help i can't figure out how to diagonal inputs i'm doing it "nintendo style" if that helps
Hit the two directions rapidly enough to average out to diagonal.

The Bloop posted:

gimmie some of that BLAST PROCESSING
Play it LOUD :wink:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
stop touching the dpad. don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone play Hard West? It goes on deep sale frequently. I've been hemming and hawing over it for months now

It depends on what you want? It's a cheap X Com like clone that's billed as having a weird west story, but I found the gameplay to be not that deep and the story non existent. It's basically in the same vein as say Steamworld Heist but Heist is much more engaging imo. If you want a cheap and mindless turn based shooter then go for it.