Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey just a quick question: i know lots of people have written lots of words about WandaVision and it's relationship to grief, trauma, etc... but has anyone written anything on any of the bigger sites or even smaller fringe sites about how Wanda is unquestionably the villain of the show and that working through your own grief and trauma is not a good excuse or a valid reason for mind-controlling 3,000 people and enslaving them to play house? Like, every mortal human in the show seems extremely terrified and is literally begging for their lives or the sweet release of death, and then the show just ends with Wanda walking out of town and everyone of her victims hating her and being scared of her. She completely traumatizes an entire town in central Jersey and essentially recreates the blip on a smaller scale (a month vs 5 years) but the show seems very content with itself that we'll all find her a sympathetic hero and not a sympathetic villain, and I'm wondering if anyone else has explored this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

404notfound posted:

Did Bucky pick an apartment based on its proximity to Nakajima? Or is it just a happy coincidence that one of the people he needs to make amends to is one of his neighbors?

Well Bucky has killed a lot of people over 70 years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Shout out to my alma mater! Geaux Tigers! That said, no-one from Louisiana calls it NOLA.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also in the credits scene did they not reveal all the actors, they focus on a female agent but no name attached?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It would be cool if this is all leading towards a brief West Coast Avengers stint with Hawkeye, Vision, War Machine, and US Agent. Maybe even throw in the new black widow. All are really damaged people who could push a harsh version of the Avengers that is ultimately rebelled against by the Young Avengers. It could make for some good storytelling of a darker post snap world that eventually gets back to its roots.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also in the credits scene did they not reveal all the actors, they focus on a female agent but no name attached?

It's Sharon Carter from Winter Soldier

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Who was saying Sebastian Stan wasn't good looking? He's one of those people that's almost ridiculously good looking. You people are crazy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Lid posted:

What if the reasons for the racism storyline combined with Flagsmasher is that in this universe the head Flagsmasher is this universes proxy for Isiah Bradley/Josiah X and that they "hate" patriotism and America because of the abuses of the Weapon X project to need another Captain America to the detriment of black people and how they abused them/their father?

That's immediately where my mind went when i saw who the actress was. We know they are still doing the programs because they had it in Hulk, Banner was trying to make super soldier serum and Abomination was another graduate of the program. Would not be surprised if Ross is implied to know and not care about the experiments on black soldiers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey just a quick question: i know lots of people have written lots of words about WandaVision and it's relationship to grief, trauma, etc... but has anyone written anything on any of the bigger sites or even smaller fringe sites about how Wanda is unquestionably the villain of the show and that working through your own grief and trauma is not a good excuse or a valid reason for mind-controlling 3,000 people and enslaving them to play house? Like, every mortal human in the show seems extremely terrified and is literally begging for their lives or the sweet release of death, and then the show just ends with Wanda walking out of town and everyone of her victims hating her and being scared of her. She completely traumatizes an entire town in central Jersey and essentially recreates the blip on a smaller scale (a month vs 5 years) but the show seems very content with itself that we'll all find her a sympathetic hero and not a sympathetic villain, and I'm wondering if anyone else has explored this yet.

Emily van der Werff did a piece on it for Vox, at least in the sense of discussing the difference between the show acknowledging when the protagonist is taking wrong or morally dubious actions and outright punishing the character for it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tars Tarkas posted:

That's immediately where my mind went when i saw who the actress was. We know they are still doing the programs because they had it in Hulk, Banner was trying to make super soldier serum and Abomination was another graduate of the program. Would not be surprised if Ross is implied to know and not care about the experiments on black soldiers

how does the casting factor?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lid posted:

how does the casting factor?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bust Rodd posted:

A lot of the "heroes" in Marvel are bad people to be honest.

Iron Man was a weapons dealer for christ sakes. Thor tried to genocide the frost giants for fun in his first movie. Black Widow is a drat assassin

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lid posted:

:iiam:

The real reason is they were created during the Cold War when patriotism, nationalism and jingoism were all tied together in a bow and thus clearly they were bad.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ew3fWI8XMAA4nk4?format=jpg&name=900x900
I'd say they are also influenced by groups like the Weather Underground who despite having a good message were kind of dipshits about strategy and whatnot; that or Maoists groups like Shining Path or Red Guards who are extremely big dipshits who also end up being Feds at some point

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sebastian Stan was the bomb in Kings.

Thank you for reading.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bust Rodd posted:

good, good, yes back to this we left it for a bit but we've got another six days before the next ep of emo punchmen

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

spoilering this bc i'm being hypocritical by complaining about wandachat and engaging in it, sorry thread

Zzulu posted:

A lot of the "heroes" in Marvel are bad people to be honest.

Iron Man was a weapons dealer for christ sakes. Thor tried to genocide the frost giants for fun in his first movie. Black Widow is a drat assassin

starlord killed half the galaxy because he couldn't keep a lid on his grump, loki is a terrorist, bucky is a mass murderer.

wanda did a bad thing, knows she did a bad thing and none of the people watching her had the slightest ability to stop her walking away so they didn't. i presume she'll get some comeuppance just like every other tortured supe.

i mean she was punished by having the love of her life killed for the third time and losing her kids, but i guess they could have had another character tell her she was bad too, after all the townfolk did?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 20, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Mr Sunday Movies made a joke about how Bucky is My Name is Earl'ing it and that's just super funny to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
nm: got it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Its Rinaldo posted:

Mr Sunday Movies made a joke about how Bucky is My Name is Earl'ing it and that's just super funny to me.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the Crab Man

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I like how he tells this girl he's 106 years old and she asks him if he's close with his parents. lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
She clearly thought he was being cute.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lammasu posted:

Who was saying Sebastian Stan wasn't good looking? He's one of those people that's almost ridiculously good looking. You people are crazy.

His dumb old and greasy pre-show emo haircut didn't really do him any favors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Its Rinaldo posted:

She clearly thought he was being cute.

Isn't everyone supposed to know about the Avengers?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I understand why Bucky doesn't share his darkest secrets on a first date but I also wonder how long he thinks he can hide the metal arm. What's the plan, Buck?

mcmagic posted:

He was never an official Avenger or public figure. Unless he got a ton of press post Endgame or she's got a good memory for faces from when he made news after Civil War it hardly seems hard to imagine people just not recognizing some random white dude even if he is a major public figure. Which seems debatable vs like Falcon.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mcmagic posted:

If she knew who he was she wouldn't have asked about the gloves or bought the poor circulation line.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mcmagic posted:

He's incredibly generic looking and was never one of the proper Avengers that people care about. Has he ever once been involved in heroic escapades other than Thanos?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Here are the Avengers people recognize in the MCU:

Iron Man (already famous as Tony Stark beforehand)
Cap (literal national hero and icon)
Thor (hunky space god)
Hulk (hulky green god)
War Machine (maybe? And people probably just think he’s Tony in another suit)

That’s it. If they don’t remember “guy with wings” they aren’t going to remember “guy with metal arm”.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't know if I've explored it, exactly, but I've discussed it here on the boards. So have quite a few other people. It occurs to me that if the show really did want us to see Wanda as either an all-out hero or all-out villain, the show would've played out quite differently, especially at the end. For example for the hero part the townspeople giving her that gauntlet of powerless hate and fear would have been crying for her, forgiving her and giving her the "I love you 3000" of groupy hugs.

For the villain part, she gets town gauntlet, Monica says her bit about sacrifice and Wanda says, "Thank you, but it really wasn't that bad. Geraldine." And the Hex pops back up as Wanda says, "If you can't change a spell, you can always try again until you get it right..."

You'll note that neither of those things happened. Instead, Wanda has to kill Vision. Yet again. She has to let her children die as well. She gets to endure the fear and hate of the town knowing that she deserves and knowing that there's nothing she can do to make it right. She's learned the lesson the Avengers failed to learn after Infinity War, that there is no going back and making it better, there's just going forward and trying to do better.

Which maybe puts her a little ahead of Bucky Barnes.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
To be fair, on Civil War the news broadcast about him was very much, Buck Barnes aka the Winter Soldier, like you're supposed to know what that means. He's probably like Richard Jewell famous: someone who would've been very known at a specific time. It's just that Thanos probably made all that kinda in the back burner.

Also, I bet everyone immediately just remembers the metal arm, not the face.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I forgot that Bucky is mentioned as part of Cap’s Smithsonian exhibit both here and in TWS, but I don’t think it’s common knowledge that Bucky is still alive. He’s activated as part of Hydra’s plan, goes on the run right after, goes on the run again with Cap after Civil War, spends a few years hiding out in Wakanda, and then gets blipped.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Plus there must be loads of people in the MCU who willfully don't give a gently caress about superheroes the same way people in our world don't give a gently caress about the Kardashians or the royal family.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

stev posted:

Plus there must be loads of people in the MCU who willfully don't give a gently caress about superheroes the same way people in our world don't give a gently caress about the Kardashians or the royal family.

"Do I watch Superhero news shows? I don't even own a TV. I just watch documentaries on Netflix."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Rocket probably is better known than Bucky at this point since he was hanging around earth for five years hanging out with Avengers doing Avenger poo poo

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

STAC Goat posted:

He was never an official Avenger or public figure. Unless he got a ton of press post Endgame or she's got a good memory for faces from when he made news after Civil War it hardly seems hard to imagine people just not recognizing some random white dude even if he is a major public figure. Which seems debatable vs like Falcon.
He was very publicly the murder suspect of the King to Wakanda. Civil War even shows the news broadcast where they name him.

It's fun having the discussion about the morality of the Marvel heroes when Falcon murders like 10 dudes in violent ways of the first 5 minutes into the series.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

stev posted:

If Kim could shoot a laser beam out of her forehead I’d pay a lot more attention to her exploits.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thundercracker posted:

To be fair, on Civil War the news broadcast about him was very much, Buck Barnes aka the Winter Soldier, like you're supposed to know what that means. He's probably like Richard Jewell famous: someone who would've been very known at a specific time. It's just that Thanos probably made all that kinda in the back burner.

Also, I bet everyone immediately just remembers the metal arm, not the face.

Yeah, I mean, there's probably SOME people who would recognize the random short haired white dude as that long haired russian super terrorist from 7 years ago and 2 years before Thanos. And probably more people who would remember it if you brought it up. If Bucky was like "I have a metal arm and I really am 106 because I was in suspended animation for 70 years" then his date might go "Ohhh, I remember that." But like... otherwise he's just some random white dude who likes sushi.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Rocket probably is better known than Bucky at this point since he was hanging around earth for five years hanging out with Avengers doing Avenger poo poo

Also... you know... he's a talking raccoon.

Harlock posted:

He was very publicly the murder suspect of the King to Wakanda. Civil War even shows the news broadcast where they name him.

Yeah, but do you recognize every terrorist's face you've seen on the news and mentally compare it to random people you encounter in life? He's a public figure but "famous" is a relative term.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 20, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Here are the Avengers people recognize in the MCU:

Iron Man (already famous as Tony Stark beforehand)
Cap (literal national hero and icon)
Thor (hunky space god)
Hulk (hulky green god)
War Machine (maybe? And people probably just think he’s Tony in another suit)

That’s it. If they don’t remember “guy with wings” they aren’t going to remember “guy with metal arm”.

Natasha testified before Congress at the end of Cap 2, so was also very recognizable. I imagine anyone involved in the Lagos incident would be public, so Wanda and subsequently T'challa when he got arrested and the diplomatic immunity he had. Bucky's face was probably posted after the bombing, but its not like people would have that seared into their memories.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Natasha was also part of the Battle of New York, Sokovia, and the Triskelion. Plus a fugitive with Cap for years and one of the remaining Avengers after the Blip. So I imagine she was a relatively high profile figure. Probably at least as famous as a major politician. But there's also a lot of people who wouldn't recognize major politicians if they knocked on the door.

Bucky's probably a lot more anonymous. There's information out there and he's been a public figure and terrorist but he's never spent an extended period in the public eye, we don't know what the public knows of his backstory, and he's changed his look and is actively trying to hide. Compare that to Sam who seems to enjoy the celebrity, prompts people to recognize him, spent years as an Avenger and Cap ally, and just did a press conference saying he was turning down Cap's desire for him to be his replacement.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I like how Bucky had the grandpa flip phone to further emphasize how he’s out of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

I like how Bucky had the grandpa flip phone to further emphasize how he’s out of time

I think that's also to show how he's still got the Winter Soldier mentality. He can clearly operate newer tech, he had that fancy tablet with the remote control doohickey for the Hydra lady's car. But he's probably used to burner phones for anonymity and to make it hard to track him, and you're not gonna drop $500 on a smart phone for that.