Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It was a DDT show yes. In fact all TJPW, DDT and NOAH matches should be filed under "CyberFight" imho because it's technically correct, it'll make categorising CyberFest matches easier and most importantly, it'll make it easier to beat NJPW.

Yeah, about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

AEW should be counted unter Emi Sakura Promotions, imo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This means NJPW can be counted as Stardom and thus be the best wrestling on Earth again.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
WOMTYC: Keiji Muto vs Kaito Kiyomiya - 14/03

Rest hold after rest hold after rest hold. What are you doing with that belt Muto? This sucked.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
14th February
2AW GRANDSLAM in TKP Garden City
2AW Tag Team Titles
Kengo Mashimo & Tatsuya Hanami vs Kotaro Yoshino & Tank Nagai

Match definitely goes a little longer than it needed to but still a real enjoyable tag match. Hanami has a real nice dropkick, Yoshino is an underrated underdog & Tank & Kengo are 2 of the most consistent guys on the Japanese indies.

MOTYC
14th February
2AW GRANDSLAM in TKP Garden City
2AW Openweight Title
Ayato Yoshida vs Taylor Adams

Pretty sure this is the first singles match I've seen. He's also taller than I'd noticed before. Yoshida remains one of my favourites and 95% of the reason I try to follow 2AW. The match starts slow but this is a bit of a breakout performance from Adams, he more than holds up his end, Yoshida is Yoshida, he's got fire, he's got charisma, he's got great kicks. They slap the poo poo out of each other too so that rules. Honestly, once this ramps up after the first 7 or 8 minutes it rules.

Also want to add that Yoshida did this cool move which was like a dragon screw but to the arm instead of the leg.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 19, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
18th March
All Japan Crazy Monkey vs Giant
GAORA TV Title
Glass Board & Barbed Wire Board & TLC + α Deathmatch

Jun Kasai vs Shuji Ishikawa

They bled. A lot. Barbwire and light tubes and panes glass and those bamboo sticks in the head and razors and a ladder and a table and Ishikawa had a freshly bleached head of hair which you really got to see dyed with his own blood.

But a lot of it was also Heavyweight vs Junior stuff. Still, All Japan is a blood & guts promotion now and that rules, pass it on.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Junpei Hyde posted:

MOTYC: Thunder Rosa vs Britt Baker: AEW St patrick's Day Slam 17/03/21

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Both late and unnecessary, but I just watched this and holy loving poo poo that’s an nth from me. I feel like I just watched a piece of wrestling history.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
17th March
SEaDLINNNG Grow Together
Get A Dream Tournament Round 1
Arisa Nakajima & Nanae Takahashi vs Chikayo Nagashima & Tsukushi Haruka

A very fun sprint, slightly marred by referee silliness, but seeing Nanae slap the piss out of her students is good fun.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW New Japan Cup March 18th
MOTYC
Jay White vs David Finlay
- YH may have brought him to the dance, but Finlay absolutely carried his own weight in this. His best career match.

Maybe it just looked better by comparison because Sanada/Ospreay was so boring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lamuella posted:

Exceptionally nerdy question: should Hyper Misao vs Mecha Mummy count as a MOTYC for DDT rather than Chris Brookes Produce Show 2?

Nobody who nominated it said what the promotion was! If they had I would have listed it under that name :)

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Switchblade Jay White vs. David Finlay in the New Japan Cup Quarterfinals - NJPW New Japan Cup 3/18

Really well put together match that handled a story running through both guys' whole tournament and had a great finish.

nth.

In addition to his in-ring skill, Jay's promo's leading up to the new jay-pan cup and after every match have been extremely high on my list of favorite pro wrestling things in 2021, and the one after this match is no exception too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Asuka vs. Rina Yamashita for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG Grow Together (3/17)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDUYvUT77Bs

My joshi MOTY and probably overall MOTY so far. I'm biased because these are two of my absolute favourite wrestlers ever and I was there in person but it was an absolutely incredible match with a sick finishing sequence. I'm gonna be sad when Asuka is over in AEW because it'll mean not getting to see her every month in person any more but nobody deserves the money and the acclaim of getting MOTYC nominations every two weeks in this thread more than Asuka.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Asuka vs. Rina Yamashita for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG Grow Together (3/17)

My joshi MOTY and probably overall MOTY so far. I'm biased because these are two of my absolute favourite wrestlers ever and I was there in person but it was an absolutely incredible match with a sick finishing sequence. I'm gonna be sad when Asuka is over in AEW because it'll mean not getting to see her every month in person any more but nobody deserves the money and the acclaim of getting MOTYC nominations every two weeks in this thread more than Asuka.

This seems entirely my poo poo, but unfortunately the video is set to private and I can't watch it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
he's just teasing you

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Most importantly, 2nding this

But now, got to say it's weird voting a match MOTYC & feeling disappointed by it, but such were my (possibly unfair) expectations. You had 2 of the most charismatic women in wrestling right now, both excellent performers in their own right: Asuka is an absolute motherfucker, she knows how good she is, while Rina is more of an underdog who can take ludicrous amounts of damage and just keep fighting through it, heart of a champion.

But the first half of the match just didn't have quite the intensity I'd hoped for, which in a match this short is a problem. There were some amazing moments but i dunno, I think they have more in them if there was a rematch down the line.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

This seems entirely my poo poo, but unfortunately the video is set to private and I can't watch it

Sorry, try again. YouTube seem to have done that automatically because of Beyonce

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:sickos:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Definite nth, in my top five joshi matches this year. It's going to be difficult to knock Tsukka/Suzu and SEAd vs Stardom out of my top two though, I loved those two matches so much and this didn't hit those peaks. I'd probably put this around the same level as Asuka's match against New Wind on the February 26th show, maybe a little below as this match didn't have Arisa Nakajima being a boss

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Jay White vs David Finlay New Japan Cup 18.03

A very good match with an extremely good finish. Starmaking performance on Finlay's part.

Nth a great match

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Kota Ibushi, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs Bullet Club (Jay White, KENTA & Yujiro Takahashi)

Partially because this was a good match, partially because of excellent storytelling, but also because they literally worked through a legit earthquake. Gold standard of professionalism right here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White/KENTA/Yujiro Takahashi, NJPW New Japan Cup, 20/03

Some really good storytelling with the three faces but the main reason for nominating this is the match was interrupted halfway through for 30 mins by a 7.2 earthquake and everyone did a really good job of keeping everyone calm and entertained, especially Chris who was reporting on it right in the middle of feeling it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Kota Ibushi, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs Bullet Club (Jay White, KENTA & Yujiro Takahashi)

Partially because this was a good match, partially because of excellent storytelling, but also because they literally worked through a legit earthquake. Gold standard of professionalism right here.

Nth, and a BIG part of that HM needs to go to the excellent work on commentary from Gino, Chris, and Kevin, who managed to calmly keep people informed during an earthquake while working from three different continents.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yep, nth. Everyone involved was pure professionalism and the match either side of the nature break told a great story

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Rarity posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White/KENTA/Yujiro Takahashi, NJPW New Japan Cup, 20/03

Some really good storytelling with the three faces but the main reason for nominating this is the match was interrupted halfway through for 30 mins by a 7.2 earthquake and everyone did a really good job of keeping everyone calm and entertained, especially Chris who was reporting on it right in the middle of feeling it

+1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Agreed. A rare instance of a match break making the match even more significant/interesting to watch.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs David Finlay New Japan Cup 20.03

David Finlay is great now and I'm not sure how to handle it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. David Finlay - New Japan Cup (3/20)

The best Will Ospreay match I have seen for a long time. Finlay was incredible in this. Great story, amazing underdog stuff.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth. Real good match even if the end was a bit weird.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Will Ospreay vs. David Finlay, NJPW New Japan Cup, 20/03

Finlay still lacks something for me as a performer but he did a great selljob on the big ankle spot and the closing stretch

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth. This was a very good match and really increased my opinion of Finlay.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth that was fantastic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM from me, but I am really impressed by Finlay's improvement.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. David Finlay - New Japan Cup (3/20)

The best Will Ospreay match I have seen for a long time. Finlay was incredible in this. Great story, amazing underdog stuff.

2nd. This was definitely hovering around HM but the fire Finlay showed during the finish stretch was tremendous.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW New Japan Cup March 20th
MOTYC

David Finlay vs Will Ospreay
- Finlay is good now

HM
EVIL vs Shingo Takagi
- Even with the Dick fuckery in the closing moments this was pretty good, Shingo is good Beef

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Shingo Takagi vs EVIL New Japan Cup 20.03

A good Beef battle. The obligatory BC interference actually made Shingo look stronger for once and didn't detract too much.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

A good Beef battle. The obligatory BC interference actually made Shingo look stronger for once and didn't detract too much.

Nth plus it featured a ref being knocked out by a kick out

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

2nd but side note: worst Shingo singles match of 2021.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It was good, but just below HM status for me. Would've been better if I believed the finish was ever in doubt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
EVIL vs Shingo Takagi
- Even with the Dick fuckery in the closing moments this was pretty good, Shingo is good Beef

Agreed, the beef was good :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was a bit below HM for me but EVIL coulda done worse