Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess it was a film which explains the really high production values but that actually makes me more annoyed by the explanations lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

In the very first chapter of the Burn the Witch limited, Kubo almost immediately introduces a whole-rear end Gotei 13 of witches and I busted out laughing when I read it because that's really the dude's only trick. It was so transparent.

Yeah it owns.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tite Kubo Writing Tip #1: When in doubt, invent a new character and draw them wearing a sweet coat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It especially owned because at the time of the first chapter, they hadn't made it known that the manga was going to be continuing past the limited run, so I thought it was just gonna be like a miniseries, so here's 15 new characters right away

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
B: the Beginning got a second season and I was excited and started watching and then it was over because it’s only 6 episodes long.

Come the hell on Netflix. If you’re gonna make a second season of something it should be 11-12 episodes. It all just felt rushed by the end and a “whoops hope we get more episodes” feeling. I enjoyed it but at the same time if you’re just going to set stuff up and then not really move things forward don’t even bother when the original ended things where there was questions but it was satisfying.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Let's be real, Tite should never be allowed to write anything more specific than a broad plot outline. Get a real author in and just let him draw those sweet sweet coats!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When you start to look closely at Burn the Witch's plot it starts to look very much like Bleach Soul Society but London

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

Tite Kubo Writing Tip #1: When in doubt, invent a new organization of characters and draw them wearing sweet coats

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

When you start to look closely at Burn the Witch's plot it starts to look very much like Bleach Soul Society but London

That's because it is. It's the Soul Society West Branch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I still say that Kubo should team up with Togashi where the former basically does the art stuff for the latter (with help by assistants obviously) while the latter just focuses on writing increasingly complex scenarios (the Kubo maybe dumbing and simplifying them to actually move things along). And they both just collab on character design

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So is the western soul society just like medieval europe but with magic swords?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

but people hate where the manga goes too, unlike fma's which is pretty much universally beloved

while i agree that it changed genres after the orphanage it wasn't negative, i just didn't like the last couple chapters

the neverland manga is really well drawn and had lots of cool design poo poo and the fact that we're not getting goldy pond or the trippy dreamland sequence ray and emma do bums me out a lot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"soul society west" doesn't actually make sense or hold up to the slightest scrutiny. soul society was the fascist ghosts who took control of the afterlife and made it worse while insisting that it would fall apart without all the fascism. like sure, the authorities in btw are also pretty dang fashy but otherwise there isn't much overlap. they aren't even ghosts and don't do anything involving souls.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

"soul society west" doesn't actually make sense or hold up to the slightest scrutiny. soul society was the fascist ghosts who took control of the afterlife and made it worse while insisting that it would fall apart without all the fascism. like sure, the authorities in btw are also pretty dang fashy but otherwise there isn't much overlap. they aren't even ghosts and don't do anything involving souls.

That's because british people have no souls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

Let's be real, Tite should never be allowed to write anything more specific than a broad plot outline. Get a real author in and just let him draw those sweet sweet coats!

Just keep doing character design for Sakura Wars.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i think tite kubo should be allowed to write what he wants

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

That's because british people have no souls.

british imperialism was an attempt to fix their soul deficiency. it failed and the backlash created prince philip

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

poo poo i think i just wrote black butler.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly I think how loving rad the visual effects on Bruno's powers are justify BTW's existence and letting Kubo do whatever he wants

Plus it's cool to have a shonen series with two female leads

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stexils posted:

poo poo i think i just wrote black butler.

Lol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Honestly I think how loving rad the visual effects on Bruno's powers are justify BTW's existence and letting Kubo do whatever he wants

Plus it's cool to have a shonen series with two female leads

*waves vaguely at Yashahime*

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that doesnt have two female leads

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xelkelvos posted:

*waves vaguely at Yashahime*

okay let me clarify

it's good to have a shonen series with two female leads that isn't dog-awful

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i'm still loving angry at yashahime and how poo poo it is.

moroha was wasted on that show. she's the only enjoyable part, and they keep making GBS threads on her

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My extremely unpopular hot take on Yashahime is that the show is exactly as good as Inuyasha was. It had a great start, but the plot starts to just meander around and the pacing is weird as hell and they don't do enough of the better characters and its often weirdly mean-spirited? Yeah, that's also broadly my assessment of the original series.

Heck, I'll go one further and say that I think I like Yashahime more. At the very least Yashahime doesn't have an unbearable love triangle with a morally repugnant secondary character, and the show doesn't have a couple of characters in the main group who are functionally useless.

I'll goes one step further than that, they've confirmed that a second season of it is coming out, and I think if they had more foreknowledge they could've shuffled around the events of the back half of the show to just flat-out be better than Inuyasha was, rather than being exactly is good and bad as Inuyasha was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

At the very least Yashahime doesn't have an unbearable love triangle with a morally repugnant secondary character, and the show doesn't have a couple of characters in the main group who are functionally useless.

Yeah, Yashahime only makes one of the major characters of the original morally repugnant in retrospect.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Yashahime only makes one of the major characters of the original morally repugnant in retrospect.

And fun fact! I had absolutely no love for him in the original either. And if I was going to pick any of the main characters in the original series to be a deadbeat dad, well guess who?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean he's more than a deadbeat dad, he's a child groomer

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Here's how I would fix Yashahime

1. Don't make Sesshomaru a child groomer, and have his wife just be a new character
2. Have the show be about the girls trying to find their parents, and not the butterfly memory bullshit that they don't really even try to find
3. Have the girls start off antagonistic towards one another, and have their relationship gradually develop throughout the show, so that by the end, they're the best of friends
4. Less making GBS threads on Moroha, and more scenes of Moroha being a badass, because she's the best thing about the show as it is now
5. Have the old cast (Miroku, Sango, Shippo, Koga, etc.) actually appear more often
6. Actually give Kohaku poo poo to do, and make Miroku and Sango's kids a part of the main group. Also don't make Hisui a loving plank of wood
7. DON'T MAKE SEESHOMARU A CHILD GROOMER

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willo567 posted:

Here's how I would fix Yashahime

1. Don't make Sesshomaru a child groomer, and have his wife just be a new character
2. Have the show be about the girls trying to find their parents, and not the butterfly memory bullshit that they don't really even try to find
3. Have the girls start off antagonistic towards one another, and have their relationship gradually develop throughout the show, so that by the end, they're the best of friends
4. Less making GBS threads on Moroha, and more scenes of Moroha being a badass, because she's the best thing about the show as it is now
5. Have the old cast (Miroku, Sango, Shippo, Koga, etc.) actually appear more often
6. Actually give Kohaku poo poo to do, and make Miroku and Sango's kids a part of the main group. Also don't make Hisui a loving plank of wood
7. DON'T MAKE SEESHOMARU A CHILD GROOMER

Lol, :wtc:. Who'd they pair him with?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, :wtc:. Who'd they pair him with?

Spoiler for non-canonical Yashahime: Rin

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's hard for me to care that they paired the two since it was obvious that was how it was going to end up even like 20 years ago in the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think sesshomaru is a child groomer op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like inuyasha is a 90s shoujo thing and its just kind of an obvious 90s shoujo thing. i get it being weird in 2021 and they probably should have ditched it but at the same time we can talk about the specifics of the genre and how stuff evolves over time without bringing real world poo poo like 'child grooming' into it, lol, especially when its not like he does anything in the actual original show to like, coerce her into marrying him when she grows up. which is what child grooming actually is, not just 'marrying someone you knew when they were a kid.'

that said it was very funny when cardcaptor sakura's sequel series had the agegap couple rapidly shuffled offscreen and never mentioned again

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah it's not some unique failing of Yashahime.

Now we could talk about Yashahime's many unique failings like how mind-bogglingly stupid the heroes are and hilarious storytelling like that episode where Towa decided she too dependent on her cell phone because it was just like a demon kidnapping a girl or something??

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Or the episode where she just hands off her priceless magical artifact to the villain because she has a crush on him. And then the other girls say “hey, why’d you do that? You know he’s working for the big bad demon right?” and she goes “oh poo poo, I probably shouldn’t have done that huh?” in this weird attempt at a comedic moment.

Even from the perspective of someone who never watched the original and so can’t compare the two, this show still feels like a disappointment.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I would like to jump into the current discussion to congratulate you all on the just announced season 2 of yashahime

https://mobile.twitter.com/hanyo_yashahime/status/1373197411590365186

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

okay let me clarify

it's good to have a shonen series with two female leads that isn't dog-awful
Huge slam on Bloom into You out of nowhere

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I liked the fight against Kai in the latest Back Arrow; Pick him up, toss him into the air, shoot him with Granedger like a colossal skeet shoot, repeat until subdued .:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Huge slam on Bloom into You out of nowhere

Does anyone really consider Dengeki Daioh a shonen magazine?