Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Im playing the tutorial with the irish dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It seems shockingly easy to expand as a tribal. I've been on the warpath as Rurik for some achievement hunting and once you get bigger than your neighbors it doesn't seem like there is much to stop you from just gobbling up everyone in arms reach.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tribals work on a snowball system. Beating your neighbours gets you more prestige, which gets you more guys, which lets you beat up more neighbours.

Then when your heir takes over you'll generally have far less prestige, and a bunch of your titles vanish to partition, and you have to rebuild a little (which often isn't tough either as your brothers also all have terrible fame but still)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Captain Beans posted:

are the anti-aliasing options broken in game? they don't seem to do anything. all of the characters look funky as hell, almost as if they were rendered at some low res and the upscaled

Nah, it works. It's just mostly static characters on top of 2D art isn't a great scenario for antialiasing. And yhey onky have FXAA and multisampling

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Beans posted:

are the anti-aliasing options broken in game? they don't seem to do anything. all of the characters look funky as hell, almost as if they were rendered at some low res and the upscaled

That sounds like texture filtering being too low or not working. It makes things pop more. They're flat and terrible when it's disabled.

Anti aliasing is more about removing rogue pixels. FXAA is significantly worse at its job than the other one that goes to x8, at least for me at 1080p.

Do you have a screenshot? If you focus on a Norse in chainmail, that's a good model for comparing settings.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 18, 2021

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Azhais posted:

If you're just trying to ease yourself into it one of the three castille kings tends to be a pretty chill way to empire

I tried this a couple times (coming off CK2) but I found it way harder in CK3, for some reason. The kill plots against the other kings tend to not gather any traction, everyone is more or less balanced in military strength and allied with each other and the muslim kingdoms in the south tend to coalesce pretty well, so they get rather strong and eat up the christians. I guess I still suck at the game, but I wasn't able to make it work. I'll try some more.

Then I played as Asturias in the earlier start and that was a bit more balanced, but the conquest casus belli made it so half of Spain (and the rest of the coastal kingdoms) was partitioned between Sweden, Denmark and a couple other northern kingdoms, lol.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Who's the coolest and easiest of the 867 starting vikings? Game seems to push you towards Ivar or Halfdan with their juicy event troops, the latter is also already feudal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothBear posted:

This is what I do when I see trees that have no point to them being used up that way. A stress break is less of a drawback then stumbling through with a character who has no useful skills. And if it kills them, well, that's just another way to solve the problem.

CK is so easy anyway that I always just roll with the punches and roleplay the poo poo out of my idiot king.

Also lol the new patch makes Haraldr Fairhair gay 100% of the time, please don't change this

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Who's the coolest and easiest of the 867 starting vikings? Game seems to push you towards Ivar or Halfdan with their juicy event troops, the latter is also already feudal

Halfdan is the best start for a Britain focused game IMO.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TorakFade posted:

Haestein or Rurik are both great and they get free event troops to bully their neighbors with.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

TorakFade posted:

If you aren't after doing a Britannia campaign in particular I like Jarl Haesteinn -- he only starts with a single county, but he has a ton of event troops. You can launch into almost any part of Europe from his start (attack Napoli on day 1 if you want to do Eastern Europe).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Haesteinn also apparently lives a really long time now. Bunch of Reddit posts since the patch about being able to get him to 90-100 pretty easily.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks. I don't know, I never played as a viking (not even in CK2, I know, boo for me) and I want to try it so I have no clue how paganism and raiding work at all so I thought I'd ease myself by playing as one of the big ones. I remember Haesteinn being popular also in CK2 and if he has event troops it could be good fun

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is anybody able to sort of lay out how to get some Norsemen all the way to India or I guess at least the Middle East? Do you have to leap-frog your way there?

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

How are u posted:

Is anybody able to sort of lay out how to get some Norsemen all the way to India or I guess at least the Middle East? Do you have to leap-frog your way there?

You’ll have to do some work since there’s no pure sea route to the Indian Ocean from Scandinavia. Haven’t done it myself but I’d think Haesteinn could punch his way through the 867 Africa thunder dome assuming you didn’t want to fight the caliphate to go through Egypt.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

How are u posted:

I managed to get to india as haesteinn. Basically what I did was find a weak ruler at my maximum diplo range and conquer a single county from them until I hit Sinai and needed to take the whole duchy. Haesteinn is strong enough to fight the muslim kingdom that owns it but its an even enough fight that you'll need to be careful. After you take sinai then just do the same thing until you get to india. The last stretch into india will have some pretty powerful rulers so you may need to wait for one of them to to get in a hellwar with one of their neighbors or a muslim power which wont take too long. After that just pick where you want to set up shop and use the migration cb.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah there's been people posting about how they worked their way across the Mediterranean, snatched the Sinai, and then into the Indian.

But I think it would be very cool to go down the Volga, into Persia, and try and pick up Zoroastrianism along the way.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How are u posted:

Start as Dyre, you're already halfway there.

Also a pro move with him is to spend your initial prestige on making yourself a legitimate bastard, and then your early renown on re-inheriting yourself. This lets you inherit land and claims from your brothers and father, incase you decide that India isn't for you.

Also also, the first tier of the adventuring dynasty legacy gives you a bonus 1k soldiers when you declare a varangian conquest, in addition to whatever you might normally receive. It'll make moving east much easier.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

binge crotching posted:

Start as Dyre, you're already halfway there.

Also a pro move with him is to spend your initial prestige on making yourself a legitimate bastard, and then your early renown on re-inheriting yourself. This lets you inherit land and claims from your brothers and father, incase you decide that India isn't for you.

Also also, the first tier of the adventuring dynasty legacy gives you a bonus 1k soldiers when you declare a varangian conquest, in addition to whatever you might normally receive. It'll make moving east much easier.

Oh interesting, who is Dyre and where can I find him?

Thanks for the tips, folks, it will be fun to try and longship my way to the subcontinent.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How are u posted:

Oh interesting, who is Dyre and where can I find him?

Thanks for the tips, folks, it will be fun to try and longship my way to the subcontinent.

He's in Kiev

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
Also I remember the feature breakdown for the DLC mentioning that there were specific mechanics for Norse assimilation after adventuring - what are those exactly?

Anno
May 10, 2017

happyphage posted:

Also I remember the feature breakdown for the DLC mentioning that there were specific mechanics for Norse assimilation after adventuring - what are those exactly?

There’s a decision that converts you to the local culture + some other stuff. I only looked at it briefly but I think it said you get to raise runestones regardless of culture, so you get to keep a bit of your stuff in there too.

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

How are u posted:

As others have said it is pretty trivial as Haesteinn. It's been awhile since I did it but I'm pretty sure I just leap frogged my way there starting with Mallorca -> Libya on down. With your event troops you should have no problem grabbing the counties needed to leap frog there and you can just abandon them once you get a foothold in India if you don't want to hassle with defending them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Alright yeah Haesteinn is a ton of fun. You really just start a game, choose almost anywhere in Europe and go adventuring. I decided I wanted to set up shop in Tuscany so I hired a bunch of mercs, fought a tough war against Italy and East Francia, then almost immediately converted to the locals and now I'm just a powerful independent Duke in Italy with tons of money/fame. Now I'm going to retire down to a life of diplomacy and see where this goes. I picture him as the guy on the throne in that one promo shot for the DLC.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 19, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I still have such a hard time torturing, executing or murdering people in this game lol

even if it's absolutely appropriate in terms of character, role-playing, and the very facts of history, I still have a strong "but I don't want to be mean :(" drive

like I know you can execute people as a viking to get piety but in my head I'm like well maybe I can be the ~nice viking~ instead

it's so stupid

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fuf posted:

I still have such a hard time torturing, executing or murdering people in this game lol

even if it's absolutely appropriate in terms of character, role-playing, and the very facts of history, I still have a strong "but I don't want to be mean :(" drive

like I know you can execute people as a viking to get piety but in my head I'm like well maybe I can be the ~nice viking~ instead

it's so stupid

But true to medieval form, you don't blink at looting towns or sending thousands of underlings to die in your pointless wars for personal wealth

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anyone else feels duels to the death are a bit too powerful? Also, despite winning several - no related traits. Overall kind of feels that traits are much rarer now, despite shitton of raiding, wars and personal combat all I got is logistician and no viking, reaver whatever winter fighter trait supposed to be or any kind of other military perks.

Anno
May 10, 2017

A beta branch was just opened with some bug/crash fixes, including the raiding issue . Saves are expected to be fine but probably worth a backup as usual.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1372901070410813443

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Of course they come out with a raiding fix when I just feudalised and can't raid anymore anyways.

To be honest though, I was kinda considering rolling back to a save before the feudalisation and see what happens if I just keep my newly created Finnish pagan empire tribal indefinitely. I reformed Ukonusko to have lay clergy and a temporal head of faith title, so that both it and my emperor title get inherited by my heir. Just holy pagan wars and raids everywhere forever.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
- Removed the hair and beard that had shown up by mistake on the Caliph Muhammad shield

I hoped for something like that on release, didn't expect for it to appear in 1.3.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Donnerberg posted:

That sounds like texture filtering being too low or not working. It makes things pop more. They're flat and terrible when it's disabled.

Anti aliasing is more about removing rogue pixels. FXAA is significantly worse at its job than the other one that goes to x8, at least for me at 1080p.

Do you have a screenshot? If you focus on a Norse in chainmail, that's a good model for comparing settings.

in action:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1742303610498863315/F14BCAA90D2298B74EBC18E7BA70098BB4042815/
settings:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1742303610498861027/E8F8AC145C7FC16F48E392FF4B787E0A29ECD831/

The red beard guy really shows what I'm seeing, his beard looks like it was laminated and his bear and helmet look like they have a halo of white pixles drawn around them as a highlight or outline. For some reason it's driving me crazy.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah I think that's just how the game looks unfortunately :(

it bugs me too

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, yeah. Only Paradox or a mod can fix that. It was less bad before. They changed the shaders on the first update. It made the colours pop more, but also turned all the models into plastic dolls.

Current ingame vs an old lets play.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
ok I kind of figure that would be the case, I'll just get used to it. I think it's one of those things where if I wasn't already used to the 2d static art from CK2 it wouldn't be a big deal, but instead my brain sees CHANGE?? NO LIKE CHANGE and it didn't give a good first impression due to all my CK2 hours.

probably doesn't help that I've also been playing a lot of Three Kingdoms Total War which has incredible 2d character art.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
This game is a hell of a lot more playable/interesting than imperator rome, jeez

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Who was the lead designer for CK3 anyway?

E: and can somebody give me his work mailing address so I can buy him a copy of Streams of Gold, Rivers of Gold :v:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 20, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

fuf posted:

it's so stupid

I have a similar situation but with children, I can't do much bad with children. I normally refuse ransom when its pathetic like 10 gold but when its a child I'm like "gently caress it, have your family more or less whole again". But I think its not too far from real viking mindset, its not inconceivable that a viking would think the same

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Everyone starts at least one game thinking they're going to be the good guy, but then you find yourself in a situation where the only thing standing between you and your goal is one easily murderable baby. That's when you learn who you really are.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Moon Slayer posted:

Everyone starts at least one game thinking they're going to be the good guy, but then you find yourself in a situation where the only thing standing between you and your goal is one easily murderable baby. That's when you learn who you really are.

Sometimes it is the good thing to do. Just weigh the well-being of all those subjects against the life of one baby. It'll probably die anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Gah, right as I was about to convert to Islam my emperor died. Now I'm stuck with his lovely descendant who got hosed over by confederate partition to only owning the capital. It took me a decade of raiding and human sacrifices to get to that point.