Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

No :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So I’m playing dq11 and have no idea where I’m at in the story really but I just recently beat the squid.

Game is good. My main complaint is the music. It’s wild to me that there isn’t a boss track and how it plays the super upbeat city or whatever tracks eve when your doing a sad quest line. It’s kinda hilarious.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Also the equipment/item management sucks butt

Also I don’t understand why you can’t rest on the boat. It’s silly.

Also I got eriks metal dmg boomerang skill but it didn’t do more dmg to metal slimes, does it just guarantee a hit instead of the 70% missrate or whatever?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 17, 2021

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tabletops posted:

My main complaint is the music. It’s wild to me that there isn’t a boss track and how it plays the super upbeat city or whatever tracks eve when your doing a sad quest line. It’s kinda hilarious.

I've said this for a while but Dragon Quest's music is great at killing the mood in every single scene, we really need some new loving tracks.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tabletops posted:

Also the equipment/item management sucks butt

Also I don’t understand why you can’t rest on the boat. It’s silly.

Also I got eriks metal dmg boomerang skill but it didn’t do more dmg to metal slimes, does it just guarantee a hit instead of the 70% missrate or whatever?

The Metal Slash / Metalicker skills just deal slightly more damage to metal enemies. If you're metal hunting, you want to use skills that cause crits since crits ignore defense.

Erik can learn a skill called Critical Claim later in the game and another character has skills that either miss or do a crit. Those are what you want to use for metal farming.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Tabletops posted:

The only skills that will give you more than 1-2 damage are your high crit skills like Critical Claim and Thunder Thrust.

The metal skills are honestly not even worth it. By the time you get around to farming slimes you’re at the point they’ll run away before you do enough damage. Fortunately there isn’t any need to grind before the post game.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Weird. What the hell is the point of the metal skills lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tabletops posted:

Weird. What the hell is the point of the metal skills lol

XP farming. Metal slimes have like 4 hp almost never get hurt and almost always flee at the first opportunity, but are worth a poo poo ton of XP.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Their question is asking why have the explicit "metal" attack skills when they are mostly worse at metal hunting than the high crit-rate attacks.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Skwirl posted:

XP farming. Metal slimes have like 4 hp almost never get hurt and almost always flee at the first opportunity, but are worth a poo poo ton of XP.

It’s still not worth it early in the game when that skill point is more useful just about anywhere else, or late game when you can use Hallelujah/Electro Light and have access to Critical Claim.

It’s one thing they got wrong in XI that disappointed me. Even killing a metal in the wild, the xp never felt like a shitload of xp.

On the plus side once you have all the tricks for farming, maxing out only took a couple of hours at most.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I think the issue with metal farming in 11 is that there are no guaranteed metal slimes. Even using Electro Light, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a bunch of killing machines than metal slimes (yeah you can savescum it, but the chance still exists). Contrast with a game like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, where every location has a guaranteed meddle/metal/liquid metal spot, and post-game you gain access to a place full of metal kings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I only took the anti-metal skills that I needed to unlock other skills.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Holy hell Monsieur Medaille is my new favorite, the side characters just keep being awesome

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I ran into enough red-eyed metal kings in the final area just running through it that the "grind" just kind of happened by itself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

serefin99 posted:

I think the issue with metal farming in 11 is that there are no guaranteed metal slimes. Even using Electro Light, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a bunch of killing machines than metal slimes (yeah you can savescum it, but the chance still exists). Contrast with a game like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, where every location has a guaranteed meddle/metal/liquid metal spot, and post-game you gain access to a place full of metal kings.

I don't know if they changed it in S or if I was just really lucky but I never got killing machines

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't know if they changed it in S or if I was just really lucky but I never got killing machines

Can confirm you just got lucky

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Len posted:

Can confirm you just got lucky

Same, I only played S and every so often the game would just go "hmmm how about killing machines 80 times in a row".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I only had to do it like 5 or 6 times before I was maxed out

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

whydirt posted:

Their question is asking why have the explicit "metal" attack skills when they are mostly worse at metal hunting than the high crit-rate attacks.

Because you usually got those skills much faster than the critical hit skills in previous games. Though in DQ9 you could just stockpile skill points by leveling a handful of jobs to 10-15 and then max out something immediately.

In DQ6 metal cut was actually worthwhile and combined with metal masher I think you 1-shot any metal enemy in the game (and without it I think it was still like 5-10 damage). In the SFC version anyways. Not sure if the remakes did the "lets make metal cut really dumb" thing but I'm guessing they did.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

In DQ6 metal cut was actually worthwhile and combined with metal masher I think you 1-shot any metal enemy in the game (and without it I think it was still like 5-10 damage). In the SFC version anyways. Not sure if the remakes did the "lets make metal cut really dumb" thing but I'm guessing they did.

I finished it recently with the DS version and yeah hatchet man was much more effective.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This thread has really got me keen on the idea of a IX remake. Not hopeful, but something I would like to see.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

From what some of the devs have said, if they do decide to remake any DQ games in the near future it's probably gonna be IX.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It better be, you can't even access the postgame quests anymore on IX since Nintendo turned the DS online service off and you needed to download an event flag to unlock them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Judge Tesla posted:

It better be, you can't even access the postgame quests anymore on IX since Nintendo turned the DS online service off and you needed to download an event flag to unlock them.

I don't remember the details but sometime last year someone got a thing set up where they could play the DLC stuff. IDK if it was a mockup server or whatever but it allowed people to play stuff they never got a chance to play back then. It's probably still around somewhere although I have no idea how to find it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All the DQIX "DLC" is already on the cartridge so you can access it through an Action Replay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah you can just AR it or hook up to Wiimmfi.de

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I just hit the credits on the original Dragon Quest Builders and man, I know in terms of gameplay it’s considered to be obsoleted by DQB2 but I really liked the writing and overall plot. I was hooked to start out with by the concept of “this is the bad end timeline of DQ1 where the hero accepts the Dragonlord’s offer” and I was pleased to see that they played with interesting story concepts throughout. All the cities’ plots and casts were really charming, but I’ve gotta say my favorite part was the secondhand characterization the Builder got. The casts’s reactions to them were funny as hell and I got genuinely emotionally invested in a goddamn silent protagonist. There were some plot points that genuinely threw me for a loop there, too!

Anyway I’m going to clean up some of the extra missions (but not fighting Dragonlord without the armor, gently caress that) and I hope to be playing DQB2 in the not too distant future.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ran Rannerson posted:

I just hit the credits on the original Dragon Quest Builders and man, I know in terms of gameplay it’s considered to be obsoleted by DQB2 but I really liked the writing and overall plot. I was hooked to start out with by the concept of “this is the bad end timeline of DQ1 where the hero accepts the Dragonlord’s offer” and I was pleased to see that they played with interesting story concepts throughout. All the cities’ plots and casts were really charming, but I’ve gotta say my favorite part was the secondhand characterization the Builder got. The casts’s reactions to them were funny as hell and I got genuinely emotionally invested in a goddamn silent protagonist. There were some plot points that genuinely threw me for a loop there, too!

Anyway I’m going to clean up some of the extra missions (but not fighting Dragonlord without the armor, gently caress that) and I hope to be playing DQB2 in the not too distant future.

Hey who knew (BIG SPOILER) a puppeted corpse could be so charming?

I do love both games though. The localization team deserves some massive chops for translating everything well with the alliteration and the constant puns. I hope the original script is as charming, but wouldn't know.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The DQB2 team should get some sort of medal for the translation work on the chapter with the golem and the drinking establishments. The Goodybag speaking Polari is a deep cut.

There are a lot of nice QoL improvements in the second game. The only real downside is the forced stealth mission, the game isn’t really set up for it and it goes on for ages.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The entirety of chapter 2 being a set up for one loving pun is still incredible

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

The only real downside is the forced stealth mission, the game isn’t really set up for it and it goes on for ages.

DQ Heroes 2 had a stealth sequence early on where you had to avoid Killing Machines and escape a dungeon, if you spec to a Thief then you get to go back for a quest and have to dodge Overkilling Machines who move twice as fast and kill you instantly if they see you.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The best part about the final chapter in DQ Builders 1 is that the Tantagel castle recreation is a near perfect recreation of the original castle. All the rooms are set up to be in the exact same locations they were in DQ1/3 except the throne room due to multiple floors.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Why the gently caress hasn’t Sylvia been transmuting swords to bread the entire game and also he should feed everyone this is ridiculous

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 19, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My problem with IX as it is is indeed the fact that so much content is locked out. Honestly, whoever thought that it was a good idea to gate content like that is in idiot. In my case, though, I would probably emulate the game for ergonomic reasons even though I own a cartridge and multiple handhelds that could play it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I loved the idea of IX's post-game but was pretty burnt out by the time I got there. Always wanted to go back and play it, but ah well. A remake would almost certainly need to find a way to either integrate the map dungeons into the main game or leave them as a separate mode or something.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

kirbysuperstar posted:

The entirety of chapter 2 being a set up for one loving pun is still incredible

I loving howled when I got there. I couldn't believe they did it and I was a fool to not have faith.

And yeah, Skellketraz is the only truly questionable gameplay choice in all of Builders 2. The entire rest of the game is an utter masterpiece and actually makes me sad that Kazuya Niinou has moved on, even if most of the rest of the team is still there. That was clearly a team effort and losing any bit of the team that made that game happen hurts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I loved the idea of IX's post-game but was pretty burnt out by the time I got there. Always wanted to go back and play it, but ah well. A remake would almost certainly need to find a way to either integrate the map dungeons into the main game or leave them as a separate mode or something.

The grind for stuff like the hero gear and orbs for the ultimate gear upgrades was unreal too. IIRC even if you leveled legacy bosses to like 80+, where they'd act 3-4 times a turn and just straight up murder you with bad RNG unless you used the paladin invincibility special, the drop rate was utter trash.

Any DQIX remake absolutely has to fix that poo poo, even having the Hoimi Table as a workaround was still awful.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just read the phrase 'Hoimi Table' and memories I repressed for a decade came out and socked me in the jaw. loving... Two percent drop rates and alchemiracles...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh I wonder why Estark keeps showing up as a super boss in games over Psaro. Heck Estark is even using Psaro's colors instead of his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Just started (about 7 hours worth) DQ11 on PC. Just finished...Gallopolis, I think?

I like the chill vibe of everything, and all the visual presentation and voice acting couldn't be more polished, but goddamn anyone could play this on autopilot.

Until you get 4 party members there's pretty much no meaningful decisions, in combat or out, that you ever have to make. I'm hoping for more of a challenge as the game goes on, but I could literally just set every character to just 'attack' every round and the only difference is that some fights would just take slightly longer. Kind of makes me miss a more involved combat system like Grandia II. I assume there's more depth as the roster expands, but if the first half dozen hours are an indication, it can't be that much deeper. Still, I don't mind! The game isn't trying to be anything but what it is, and what it is is extremely chill.

Also, the narrative exists in a weird uncanny valley with the Luminary - As a silent protagonist he's a rather typical player avatar, but he's got a defined appearance, backstory, origin, and relationships, as well as numerous occasions where he IS talking, but it's conveyed via paragraph. Seems weird to have such good voice acting everywhere else, but this weird not-quite-an-empty-vessel for the player. Either just make them a full character in their own right, or at least let us choose another hairstyle or something.

Still! I'm really enjoying it, it's my first foray into Dragonquest, and only had a vague idea of what that entailed