Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hinterland posted new blog post about The Long Dark and beyond: https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-march-2021/

At the bottom there's also a survey about the future of the game and the studio (do you want small DLC or sequel, do you like survival more than story, and so on).

TLD is a game I probably thought about more than played, I only have around 15 hours in it, mostly in survival because story mode seemed boring. If they could overhaul some current mechanics like wolves (fat chance) and add some deeper survival mechanics, maybe even a proper ending that's not "you froze to death", then I'd probably have played it much more.

My biggest hope is a proper sequel but maybe they should just do whatever they want instead of sticking to one genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One problem I just can't shake with The Long Dark is that because no loot respawns and everything degrades with use and over time, eventually you just run out of stuff. Apparently the quickest and least easily replaced is cloth items.
It's more a conceptual problem than a practical one, because I'll never play a single campaign anywhere near long enough to run into this, but just the lingering thought bugs me. I'm easily hung up on stuff like that, I guess. I always want to know that things could go infinitely in a survival game, or that you can strive towards some level of self-sufficiency.

In practice I mostly just spent a ton of time fishing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They clearly need to do a sequel named Midnight Sun.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

One problem I just can't shake with The Long Dark is that because no loot respawns and everything degrades with use and over time, eventually you just run out of stuff. Apparently the quickest and least easily replaced is cloth items.
It's more a conceptual problem than a practical one, because I'll never play a single campaign anywhere near long enough to run into this, but just the lingering thought bugs me. I'm easily hung up on stuff like that, I guess. I always want to know that things could go infinitely in a survival game, or that you can strive towards some level of self-sufficiency.

In practice I mostly just spent a ton of time fishing.

I haven't played TLD but it would make sense if there are no gear respawns (who is restocking this stuff out there?) then items should not degrade at an unrealistic pace either. I have clothes nearly a decade old that could still be described as in "fair condition" I guess. Maybe only a very slight chance to tear a hole in your shirt or break your axe or something turning them to poor condition would make more sense? But to be fair to no respawns, it makes sense that my personal outdoors gear doesn't turn to rags just from walking around outside for a couple weeks or whatever.

Have it one way or the other I guess is what I am saying.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I always want to know that things could go infinitely in a survival game, or that you can strive towards some level of self-sufficiency.

I am the same way, and the same thing bothered me in Project Zomboid. Luckily, a mod fills that in without seeming to break the game over its knee.

Not Hydrocraft mod though, that's a bloated mess even though the aim is admirable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Twenty Four posted:

I haven't played TLD but it would make sense if there are no gear respawns (who is restocking this stuff out there?) then items should not degrade at an unrealistic pace either. I have clothes nearly a decade old that could still be described as in "fair condition" I guess. Maybe only a very slight chance to tear a hole in your shirt or break your axe or something turning them to poor condition would make more sense? But to be fair to no respawns, it makes sense that my personal outdoors gear doesn't turn to rags just from walking around outside for a couple weeks or whatever.

Have it one way or the other I guess is what I am saying.

The thing with the The Long Dark is that it is specifically a game *about* decay, that is baked into the foundation of the design. Yes there are ways to get around almost anything, but those things are always consuming resources, which you have a limited number of. You're playing knowing that death is truly inevitable and basically just stalling for time until the clocks runs out in some snow bank because you ran out of matches. As a result degradation of tools and clothes has to be really rapid, because otherwise you end up with the Project Zomboid issue where there is little scarcity for supplies unless you put 30 hours into a map.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HelloSailorSign posted:

I am the same way, and the same thing bothered me in Project Zomboid. Luckily, a mod fills that in without seeming to break the game over its knee.
Which mod?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I don't remember clothing degrading super fast in TLD; your outer layers during a blizzard will go down by a few percent if your just face tanking it and getting mauled absolutely shreds them but that's at least to be expected. Your inner layers are generally stable and same for everything you leave not exposed to the elements in storage or indoors and everything you find not in a snowbank. Only remember having to break out the sewing kits after unfortunate wildlife incidents or when finding new ratty clothes really. Tho I don't play on Interloper, and have not played in awhile, so that may change things.

But yeah, TLD is a deathmarch, since you'll strip the world bare of any man-made resources eventually (Natural resources, even rocks and coal, respawn over time) and your margin for surviving gently caress ups will steadily shrink as non-perishable foods and convenient medicines run out, though there are usually ways to bypass things. Clothing isn't much of an issue, since you can craft/repair your own using hide which bypasses the need for cloth, and tackle can be used as a lovely sewing kit when those run out and technically is an infinite resource since scrap metal can turn up beachcombing, not that your ever really in danger of running out of scrap metal anyways (There's several thousand chunks worth in shelves and the like).

The actual only resource that matters that is finite is matches. There's no way to make more matches, so you end up stuck using the magnifying lens, which while it never degrades (except through mauling) can only light fires outdoors during sunny, calm weather, which becomes rarer and rarer as time goes on. Even tools are infinite, since coal and scrap metal can always be found for forging new knives and axes, and other tools can be repaired using the repair kits, which can be repaired using scrap metal. The difficulty of maintaining equipment goes up over time as convenient caches are exhausted, but you never really lose the ability to.

Except for guns, those will run out entirely eventually, but hey, bow is still there for hunting needs.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there not a metal firestriker you can repair the same way?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can carry a ton of torches around to save on matches at least. Keep one lit, when it's about dead drop it light the next one, move on. Replenish next time you make a fire

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Is there not a metal firestriker you can repair the same way?

It can't be repaired; good for fifty uses, if you find it at 100% condition, then it poofs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fire, well known to be the product of an advanced civilisation and impossible to reproduce without extensive infrastructure.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

Fire, well known to be the product of an advanced civilisation and impossible to reproduce without extensive infrastructure.

Far too many survival games are like that.

It would be nice if higher firestarter skills allowed for making bowdrills and such

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
one guy did a playthrough a couple years back that was intended to optimize match use and he was literally collecting for weeks or something before cooking hundreds of litres of water and i think came to the conclusion that playing that way he could play for tens of thousands of days without running out (on interloper). virtually every resources in the game that can run out is inexhaustible both because you're gonna run out of patience and because if you care you can make them last forever

lordfrikk posted:

TLD is a game I probably thought about more than played, I only have around 15 hours in it, mostly in survival because story mode seemed boring. If they could overhaul some current mechanics like wolves (fat chance) and add some deeper survival mechanics, maybe even a proper ending that's not "you froze to death", then I'd probably have played it much more.

wolves are good

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Azhais posted:

It would be nice if higher firestarter skills allowed for making bowdrills and such
Yeah, a ton of survival games don't have primitive means to accomplish common, basic tasks. The example that always comes to mind is a Minecraft modpack (Gregtech: New Horizons) that required machined metal bolts to make any kind of bed or door.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, a ton of survival games don't have primitive means to accomplish common, basic tasks. The example that always comes to mind is a Minecraft modpack (Gregtech: New Horizons) that required machined metal bolts to make any kind of bed or door.

At some point I imagine that filling out the bottom layer of a progression means you're less likely or less incentivized to use higher tech means of accomplishing the same thing. And once you have those higher tech means of doing stuff any effort spent on fleshing out the lower tiers is kind of wasted.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

At some point I imagine that filling out the bottom layer of a progression means you're less likely or less incentivized to use higher tech means of accomplishing the same thing.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Usually the higher tech means are faster, easier, more convenient, less wasteful, etc. It's the difference between firemaking being difficult in some game until you get flint and steel, and being impossible.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Spanish Matlock posted:

At some point I imagine that filling out the bottom layer of a progression means you're less likely or less incentivized to use higher tech means of accomplishing the same thing. And once you have those higher tech means of doing stuff any effort spent on fleshing out the lower tiers is kind of wasted.

For the Minecraft mod TerraFirmaCraft, initially, starting fires needs low durability fire starters, crafted with 2 sticks, which only have a chance of starting a fire per use. Eventually, the vanilla flint and steel is unlocked, which starts fires instantly, with the vanilla durability.

GTNH allows hand crafting 1 wood into 2 planks and 1 plank to 1 stick early game, but a saw (has durability) crafts 4 planks from 1 wood and 4 sticks from 2 planks. Then, later on, wood can be put in a Block Cutting Machine to get 6 planks from a single log, and 6 sticks from 2 planks.

GTNH is basically "Progress to be more efficient at crafting: the modpack". As another example, wire (for circuits and motors) initially requires smashing 2 ingots into a plate with a hammer, then cutting the plate with snips, for 2 ingots for 1 wire. Or 3 ingots can be put in a forge hammer to get 2 plates, for slightly more efficiency. Later on, a wiremill machine is obtained that gives 2 wires from 1 ingot.

Vib Rib posted:

GTNH beds do not require metal, but doors do; either an iron ring and an iron screw, or a copper ring and a copper screw.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Azhais posted:

Imo techniques like that are grossly overhyped. I've tried doing that kind of stuff as part of a survival course and it requires a ton of effort and just the right conditions to do. Some random marketing manager that gets shipwrecked isn't going to be able to do it in any realistic span of time just based off what he saw in a movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but that's why it's an advanced skill and not a base thing. You shouldn't be required to freeze to death if you run out of matches on day 200

Or don't make fire strikers wear out so unreasonably fast

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

GTNH beds do not require metal, but doors do; either an iron ring and an iron screw, or a copper ring and a copper screw.
I know the modpack's been through a lot of revisions but I thought I remembered otherwise from playing it many years back. Might've been rebalanced, might've been my memory. Either way I'm sure there's plenty of examples like it across survival games.
Also Green Hell had a pretty good approach to primitive firestarters, in that your character is already trained in wilderness survival to the point he knows how to use them, but they take a long time to work, a ton of energy, and until you get really good at them, are so exhausting that you need to be well rested to even have a chance to make it happen.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I can forgive the artifical decay in TLD because it makes it seem like a much more grim post-apocolyptic untrained normal person scavenging and barely scraping by for survival vs the Green Hell or The Forest style survival expert "Okay I'm now building a village and making iron armour in 15 days".

TLD is the only game that really got that feeling down amazingly. I remember my first time getting lost in a blizzard and slowly freezing to death running around outside Mystery Lake, franticly starting a fire to warm up a bit more than being completely lucky that I ran right to the Trapper's Cabin. GH has those moments too in a different way but there's something about TLD thats different.

A TLD with good graphics and snow like in RDR2 would be pretty much the best survival game ever made.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
tbh I really love the way TLD looks now.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Azhais posted:

Yeah, but that's why it's an advanced skill and not a base thing. You shouldn't be required to freeze to death if you run out of matches on day 200

well you arent, you have a magnifying glass (which never breaks) and using it on sunny days is a tradeoff you make for not using those days to migrate around

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Which mod?

Long Term Survival

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm looking for a new game, but I've played so many in this genre that I don't know if there's anything left.

I have played Raft on and off through its development - now I have a friend and we're doing a co-op, will probably finish it this time. I like raft a lot, but I let him design the overall 'structure' of the raft and realized I wanted more sort of 'homey' base building. We just came off of Valheim, too, which has a similar vibe, but are putting that down for awhile. I don't think Raft has enough to make me want to start a simultaneous save for singleplayer, to be honest. I think part of my attraction is definitely the more fiddly, physical aspect. What are some other games with some good 'homey' base building? Or at least sort of.. I'm not sure how to describe the vibe - like, I would consider My Summer Car sort of in this mix, because even though you don't build, there's a progression and a house and things to do thats sort of life-sim-ish.

I'm 'done' with Conan Exiles, My Summer Car, 7 Days to Die (actually saving this for friends again.) Not really interested in playing solo/PVE Ark, Rust. Not a huge fan of space engineers, I've bounced off of it several times. Same with TLD. I'd even take a more 'light' base building if its only customization. But then again maybe something like Stationeers could be fun. Basically, the problem is that I desperately want to play Open Sewer but the remake of it is still not available to play. Maybe its time to try Stardew again.

Sorry for being rambly, but wanted to see if goons had any niche games I haven't found before that fit this weird mix. Maybe the post is more appropriate for 'weird niche simulator games' instead, though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I'm looking for a new game, but I've played so many in this genre that I don't know if there's anything left.

I have played Raft on and off through its development - now I have a friend and we're doing a co-op, will probably finish it this time. I like raft a lot, but I let him design the overall 'structure' of the raft and realized I wanted more sort of 'homey' base building. We just came off of Valheim, too, which has a similar vibe, but are putting that down for awhile. I don't think Raft has enough to make me want to start a simultaneous save for singleplayer, to be honest. I think part of my attraction is definitely the more fiddly, physical aspect. What are some other games with some good 'homey' base building? Or at least sort of.. I'm not sure how to describe the vibe - like, I would consider My Summer Car sort of in this mix, because even though you don't build, there's a progression and a house and things to do thats sort of life-sim-ish.

I'm 'done' with Conan Exiles, My Summer Car, 7 Days to Die (actually saving this for friends again.) Not really interested in playing solo/PVE Ark, Rust. Not a huge fan of space engineers, I've bounced off of it several times. Same with TLD. I'd even take a more 'light' base building if its only customization. But then again maybe something like Stationeers could be fun. Basically, the problem is that I desperately want to play Open Sewer but the remake of it is still not available to play. Maybe its time to try Stardew again.

Sorry for being rambly, but wanted to see if goons had any niche games I haven't found before that fit this weird mix. Maybe the post is more appropriate for 'weird niche simulator games' instead, though.

Maybe check out Medieval Dynasty - it's first person and about building your own little town in medieval times, complete with followers that you can have join your town and go out and do tasks for you like chopping trees and hunting. No fantasy stuff, only enemies are animals. I think they plan to put in bandits at some point. It's still in early access, so it can be pretty janky, but it's not bad. There's also Farmer's Dynasty and Lumberjack Dynasty by the same people if you want modern day and like farming or cutting down trees. In those you don't build your own house or customize it much, but you can do some upgrades and whatnot.

Subnautica came to mind, if you haven't played it. I wouldn't really describe it as "homey" but you can build stuff and it's really pretty, and one of the survival games I enjoyed the most.

No Man's Sky kind of fits this bill for me as well. It's an easy game (unless you actually pick the "survival" mode, which I wouldn't recommend), and I end up flying around and finding a pretty planet I like with some cool creatures and spending a little time building a cool looking base there, and then I plop down a teleporter so I can come back to it when I want and go build something else somewhere else.

And this is a little off from what you recommended but it has weirdly enough scratched that same kind of itch for me that you are describing, and My Summer Car made me think of it: Car Mechanic Simulator or if you don't mind a futuristic setting, Mech Mechanic Simulator (which just came out and I've played a dumb amount of in the past few days), House Flipper, or even PC Building Simulator -- doing kind of simple, fiddly repair tasks to get money and unlocks and you can upgrade your shop/home with new machines and stuff.

Mentioning Open Sewer made me think of Landlord's Super, which is a game that would be like what you are looking for -- you fix up a trashed house and rent it out to tenants and it has life sim aspects like going down to the bar and washing dishes for money. But it's still in very early access and I can't recommend it yet. Right now it doesn't take all that long to get the house fixed up and then there's not much to do afterward. It may be one to put on your wishlist for later.

I've been waiting for that Open Sewer update forever as well and I hope it still happens.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They also just announced wild west dynasty

You could check out Raptor's channel on YouTube. He plays a lot of random survival building games maybe something will catch the eye

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Azhais posted:

They also just announced wild west dynasty

You could check out Raptor's channel on YouTube. He plays a lot of random survival building games maybe something will catch the eye

A couple others in that genre I follow are Peanut and MikesPCGaming, they both primarily do these kinda simulators.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dynasty
Subnautica
No Man's Sky
Car Mechanic Simulator
Mech Mechanic Simulator
Landlord's Super

All good suggestions, though:
The dynasty games just feel a little lean right now, at least Medieval (the only one I've tried.) I want to like it, but it just doesn't grab. I might still try it again. Subnautica I've done, though not the expansion - may try that. No Man's Sky was honestly what I settled on - I leave it installed because this mood hits me once in awhile and its a great brainless game I can always pick up at any time, plus being able to kick back from my desk and play with my xbox controller is always relaxing.

Landlord's Super is absolutely the same vibe as Open Sewer and what I want, but like you mention, I got the sense it wasn't quite there yet.

The Mechanic sims are so close, too, and I think why I'm getting this itch. I got Mech Mechanic because of the 30% off coupon I had and I love it, but I want it to have just a little more. If they paired that with being able to build and customize and decorate your workshop and it were a little bit more My Summer Car instead of a more 'virtual' or sort of 'disconnected' fiddling, it would hit perfectly. If I could throw around parts and have to organize/find them instead of just menus and things... The repair stations like welding and rust cleaning hit well, but disassembling and reassembling feels too detached imo.

I feel like I might just settle for No Man's Sky until the urge passes. It's good and I hate to say 'settle' but its not quite there. I'd love My Summer Car again before they seemed to lean too heavily into dick-punching mechanics in the last set of patches. Loitse please hurry with Open Sewer's remake. :(

I'll take a peek at those youtube channels. I actually found a few games from Let's Game It Out, because despite his style of horribly breaking games, he picks ones that are interesting to me. Maybe I'll give Hydroneer another shot! It's fiddly and physical and has home building.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

All good suggestions, though:
The dynasty games just feel a little lean right now, at least Medieval (the only one I've tried.) I want to like it, but it just doesn't grab. I might still try it again. Subnautica I've done, though not the expansion - may try that. No Man's Sky was honestly what I settled on - I leave it installed because this mood hits me once in awhile and its a great brainless game I can always pick up at any time, plus being able to kick back from my desk and play with my xbox controller is always relaxing.

Landlord's Super is absolutely the same vibe as Open Sewer and what I want, but like you mention, I got the sense it wasn't quite there yet.

The Mechanic sims are so close, too, and I think why I'm getting this itch. I got Mech Mechanic because of the 30% off coupon I had and I love it, but I want it to have just a little more. If they paired that with being able to build and customize and decorate your workshop and it were a little bit more My Summer Car instead of a more 'virtual' or sort of 'disconnected' fiddling, it would hit perfectly. If I could throw around parts and have to organize/find them instead of just menus and things... The repair stations like welding and rust cleaning hit well, but disassembling and reassembling feels too detached imo.

I feel like I might just settle for No Man's Sky until the urge passes. It's good and I hate to say 'settle' but its not quite there. I'd love My Summer Car again before they seemed to lean too heavily into dick-punching mechanics in the last set of patches. Loitse please hurry with Open Sewer's remake. :(

I'll take a peek at those youtube channels. I actually found a few games from Let's Game It Out, because despite his style of horribly breaking games, he picks ones that are interesting to me. Maybe I'll give Hydroneer another shot! It's fiddly and physical and has home building.

Ha, you're basically me. Let me know if you find anything cool that wasn't on these lists.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Isn't Open Sewer the sequel to Infra? Why is there building?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If you all want to try these games with positive review that I found interesting over the years in my wishlist:

Signs of Life - Terraria clone
Planet Centauri - Terraria clone
Junk Jack - Terraria clone
Crea - Terraria clone
Imagine Earth - Colony Sim
First Feudal - Medieval Rimworld
Stranded Deep - Plane crush, survive on island. Optional three bosses
Rising World - Open world sandbox builder. Single/multiplayer
Eco - Minecraft citybuilding sandbox trying to stop the meteor. Single/multiplayer
Die Young - Openworld Dying Light
Garden Paws - Cute farm sim with cartoon animals
DYSMANTLE - Open world Apoc scavenger survival
Chernobylite - First Person Stalker with base building, survival, and squad management
Ranch Simulatior - Multiplayer_Agriculture_Management_Sandbox_Farm_Harvest_Hunt__Build

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

packetmantis posted:

Isn't Open Sewer the sequel to Infra? Why is there building?

It's taking place in the same city, but it's a survival game where you also refurbish a dilapidated apartament block and rent it out. Basically you play as one of the weird hobos from INFRA that make shroom booze

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
poo poo, that sounds good.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I would recommend Planet Explorers, it's free on steam (because the devs had to close the multiplayer servers) and made by the same people as Portia.

It's much more focused on building than anything else and has a very neat CAD-style interface you use to design things in, including weapons and various vehicles and robots and whatnot; you can also download creations from other people though it's a bit of a mixed bag sometimes. The material and structure of item designs also affects their stats, though it's a bit wonky ocasionally.

The combat gameplay is relatively meh but that's how it is, and the survival (as opposed to exploration) aspects are almost trivial.

e: Added link since I'm on PC now.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 31, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SCUM returned with the patch for version 0.5 which includes a map expansion of 8 new sectors, boating, fishing and a brand new weather system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvbAmmUv1ig&hd=1

https://steamcommunity.com/games/513710/announcements/detail/3025829894180323717

e: The new weather effects look and feel really realistic. When there's a storm coming, dark clouds will move over, wind picks up, starts with light rain... really nice

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 31, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
So I've started playing Unreal World for the first time recently. In the middle of building a cabin, I kept getting interrupted by a fox running through the holes I was leaving in the walls until the cabin was ready to be properly finished(what can I say, I'm lazy about walking around). For shits and giggles I put an unbaited paw board trap there and what do you know:

I haven't managed to bag anything larger than a fox or lynx yet(which is annoying because I want to start trading for valuable stuff and I guess furs/excess meat are the way to do that) but I love this game already. :allears:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I still love the character photos. More games just need the devs to dress up and go out into the woods for this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Finding out the shaman guy in the menu was one of the devs was a :aaaaa: moment for me.

I figured I'd use winter to build trap fences, but apparently you can't dig pit traps when it's too cold out. So instead I'm using it to build a log barn so my next sheep (hopefully) doesn't get killed and partially eaten by a lynx. Something about building in this game is soothing to me, maybe because it's all in grid-based 2D space so you're not fiddling with placing things.