Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shooting responsibly is the afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think the main focus of the sign was to tell people to shut up about the lizard people.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 20, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Castaign posted:

Something I've been curious about and can't find any conclusive science on is how the efficacy of a vaccine as measured in a population translates to efficacy on an individual level. When people discuss how effective the vaccines are, it seems like the assumption is that a vaccine that is 90% effective means that any single person who is vaccinated has a 10% chance of still catching the disease. Is that actually an accurate assessment of how immunity works, or is it the case that 90% of the people who get the vaccine are fully immune, and 10% of people who get the vaccine end up with no protection?

The numbers play out the same on the population level of course, but I still find the question interesting. Anyone have any insight?

When they say that a study shows that a vaccine has 90% efficacy it means that out of all the people who caught the virus during the trials, 90% were in the control group (got the placebo) and the other 10% were people who got the vax. Assuming that both groups were roughly the same and were exposed to the virus at roughly the same levels that means the vaccine confers immunity on 90% of people and 10% are still vulnerable.

However, if you get the jab there's no way of knowing whether you're one of the 90% of people who got immunity or one of the 10% who didn't (apart from getting a lab to analyse your blood for titers etc.) so you have to assume that there's still a 10% probability you're not immune. It does seem to offer protection from severe symptoms though, so you'd almost certainly only develop a mild case.

(There's also questions about how long the immunity lasts, and whether the scary new strains of the virus are vaccine resistant. We'll just have to wait and see on those, but if poo poo heads south then everyone might have to get booster shots at some point.)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When they say that a study shows that a vaccine has 90% efficacy it means that out of all the people who caught the virus during the trials, 90% were in the control group (got the placebo) and the other 10% were people who got the vax. Assuming that both groups were roughly the same and were exposed to the virus at roughly the same levels that means the vaccine confers immunity on 90% of people and 10% are still vulnerable.

However, if you get the jab there's no way of knowing whether you're one of the 90% of people who got immunity or one of the 10% who didn't (apart from getting a lab to analyse your blood for titers etc.) so you have to assume that there's still a 10% probability you're not immune. It does seem to offer protection from severe symptoms though, so you'd almost certainly only develop a mild case.

(There's also questions about how long the immunity lasts, and whether the scary new strains of the virus are vaccine resistant. We'll just have to wait and see on those, but if poo poo heads south then everyone might have to get booster shots at some point.)

Thanks Snowglobe, I appreciate the info (and the consistently informative posts you've been making in the thread).

Are there currently titer tests for Covid-19 available?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We don't know if some people don't get good immunity, or if maybe everyone has a reduced-but-extant chance. Maybe that 5% or so got a huge initial dose which was enough to get a head start on the existing immunity. It's unclear. We do know some percentage of people don't seem to mount a long-term immune response to covid, possibly because adaptive immunity didn't kick in at all in a mild case or something else.
Immunology is not as well understood as we'd like and while scientists can make educated guesses on some things it's too complicated a system to speak confidently about without a lot of data.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whitty gave us a lovely statistic in that in the over 50s and vulnerable groups 1 in 20 vaccine shots of any type would prevent a nasty case of the rona.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

When they say that a study shows that a vaccine has 90% efficacy it means that out of all the people who caught the virus during the trials, 90% were in the control group (got the placebo) and the other 10% were people who got the vax.

Small correction: for a ninety percent effective vaccine, assuming groups of equal size, the vaccine group had ten percent as many cases as the placebo arm, not ten percent of the cases total.

For such an effective vaccine, the difference in these two calculations is small, but if it were, say, a fifty percent effective vaccine, it obviously doesn’t make sense for there to be an equal number of sick people in both groups. That would imply zero percent efficacy.

Also, the trials for each of the currently available vaccines counted efficacy for “came down with the disease”, not “caught the virus”. Most infections do seem to be quickly halted, but the trials didn’t tell us that was going to happen e.g. ninety percent of the time.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Also, the trials for each of the currently available vaccines counted efficacy for “came down with the disease”, not “caught the virus”. Most infections do seem to be quickly halted, but the trials didn’t tell us that was going to happen e.g. ninety percent of the time.

And this isn't unique to the SARS-CoV-2 vaccines either. Very few vaccines completely prevent a virus from replicating in your body. Typically they just prevent the virus from spreading inside your body well enough that you don't get disease.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

AnnoyBot posted:

Once teachers are vaccinated, I expect a big in person push. I have two kids in distance school and I'm not looking forward to getting infected 18 months into this bullshit because the district said "hey you can (must?) go back now, teachers are safe and we bought a bunch of (ineffective) ionizers!".

My friend, let me tell you about Florida, where there was a (successful) big in person push to put everyone back in the classroom in loving August, where I have been unvaccinated with 30 kids in a 30'x26' room every day while between 20-33% of my students disappear for weeks at a time into quarantine without a word.

Good news, though, the worst governor in the history of the stupidest state is going to lower the vaccine age to 50!

Total communication about vaccines from school district since August: 1 email saying they were having a vaccine clinic last weekend for all district employees 55+ with no intent to do another.

Why yes, I'm caring significantly less about everything to do with work these days, why do you ask?

BTW we are still having loving state assessments this year. I'm sure the kids who've switched back and forth between in-person and online a half-dozen times (we have kids who have done this) into a different teacher's class every single time are probably absolutely ready for them, let's do it. Let's just keep pretending like everything's normal and nothing is happening and there's no need to act any other way.

I'm gonna go ahead and make a prediction that test scores will be down. I know, I know, a radical prediction, but I'll stand by it!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

there is no reason that the majority of workers and the majority of school children (with a parent at home) cannot stay the hell at home and do their work in 2021. imagine the emissions we'd cut down on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JonathonSpectre posted:

Good news, though, the worst governor in the history of the stupidest state is going to lower the vaccine age to 50!

That much, huh. That’s a three with sixty‐four zeroes behind it!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Just five days to go until I get that first hit of that sweet, sweet, vein juice.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
My moderna shot one day in is making me feel like I have a mild cold and my arm hurts. Not good, not terrible.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Have there been any updates on mix-and-match trials? I seem to recall some places were experimenting with giving one shot of Moderna and the other of Pfizer.

Alan Smithee posted:

Do Walgreens first then cvs. Check as early as you can, 4-7am
Oh man, thanks for this advice. I woke up at 4 am this morning and was able to get Wifezwang an appointment with CVS next week :buddy:

Even at that unholy hour, there were slim pickings. I live in the SF Bay area and had to manually enter a variety of cities to get anything to come up at all. When I booked my own first shot (wife wasn't eligible yet) like 3-4 weeks ago, just entering my own county showed stuff from all over the bay. Now? Nope.

Pale Ale
Sep 10, 2001

Yeah I know that but do you honestly expect England to even slightly challenge Australia in the finals? They will be demolished.
Wasn’t CSL meant to be making a million doses a week of AZ vaccine in Australia by now? That’s gone awful quiet.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

there is no reason that the majority of workers and the majority of school children (with a parent at home) cannot stay the hell at home and do their work in 2021. imagine the emissions we'd cut down on.
Maybe 10% of the important life lessons you learn in grade school comes out of the textbooks. drat man haven't you ever seen Disney's Recess?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Immune response can be weird and there is a fair amount of individual variation. Also, "science" journalism is usually terrible, so incomplete or misleading stuff gets printed a lot of the time. I saw a headline but didn't dig further into a story about a guy with "super antibodies" or something who appears to be immune to covid and golly this could be important in curing the pandemic! I didn't dig further because I assumed it was an edge-case like the tiny fraction of the population which is immune to HIV, which has not translated into effective treatments outside a couple incredibly specific cases involving cancer and bone marrow transplants.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Pale Ale posted:

Wasn’t CSL meant to be making a million doses a week of AZ vaccine in Australia by now? That’s gone awful quiet.

I think it was by April, which was why the target was 4 million vaccinated by the end of April.

The government keeps saying CSL is still on target. It's not going to matter how many doses CSL produces each week if distribution is still hosed up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

The government keeps saying CSL is still on target.

LOL LOL of course they are. On February 25 the gov announced that they were still on track to meet all of the targets they'd set for the lead up into March, three days later it turns out they'd managed way less than half.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LOL LOL of course they are. On February 25 the gov announced that they were still on track to meet all of the targets they'd set for the lead up into March, three days later it turns out they'd managed way less than half.

This seems like a common thread with licensed production of the AZ vaccine - it seems like nobody is getting the yield numbers of the in-house production. This suggests either that production is in fact much harder than suggested or AZ are somehow fudging their numbers. Given the majority of in-house production has gone to the UK and the US (the latter I believe have sold theirs on now) I suppose we'll find out come winter which it is.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That wasn’t to do with in-country production. That was purely us receiving Pfizer from overseas and putting it into people’s arms. They were unable to hit even 50% of their forecast for that.

Our logistics chain is going to absolutely buckle under 200k/day doses, regardless of their manufacturing location.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there photos of what the vaccine facilities look like? I’d love to see how this stuff is made.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Is there photos of what the vaccine facilities look like? I’d love to see how this stuff is made.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Haha funny but they are actually made in chinese foxconn factories like all tech

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What the gently caress is this? This sounds bad. (thread)

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1373501475805102082

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

busalover posted:

What the gently caress is this? This sounds bad. (thread)

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1373501475805102082

Yeah it's really loving bad, Brazilian hospitals are literally out of oxygen and have been having to choose which patients die of asphyxiation for weeks. The situation is out of control and it would not surprise me if the US saw another huge wave due to the P1 strain despite a massive rate of vaccination

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
TGA only approved the local manufacture of AZ vaccine today

quote:

Australia's Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has granted approval to AstraZeneca for its COVID-19 vaccine to be manufactured in Australia.

The TGA approved the local manufacture of the vaccine today, following weeks of frustration over the slow rollout of imported doses.

The regulatory agency allowed the local use of overseas-manufactured AstraZeneca jabs on February 16.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-local-manufacture-approved-tga/c935ed56-9c4b-41fc-9709-063cbe05e553

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the situation in Brazil is real fucken bad, much much worse than at any point in 2020 and rapidly deteriorating. Keep in mind that President Bolsonaro was a Trump wannabe who has been downplaying the pandemic this whole time and promoting hydroxychloroquine and other bullshit remedies and the country's testing and reporting is also pretty lackluster so these graphs don't even show the full story

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

E: they just appointed yet another health minister (they've been going through quite a lot of them this last year) and this new dude has actual relevant qualifications which is hopefully a step in the right direction

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1371647406303973379

quote:

Bolsonaro Appoints Fourth Health Minister as Pandemic Rages

President Jair Bolsonaro replaced General Eduardo Pazuello at the helm of the health ministry as daily records of infections and deaths add pressure on Brazil to get the coronavirus pandemic under control.

Cardiologist Marcelo Queiroga accepted an offer to become the country’s new health chief, the president told supporters in front of the residential palace on Monday.

“I had an excellent conversation with him this afternoon,” Bolsonaro said. “In my understanding he has everything to do a good job, continuing everything that Pazuello has done so far.”

Queiroga will be the fourth person in charge of the health ministry since the coronavirus arrived in the country a little over a year ago. Luiz Henrique Mandetta and Nelson Teich, who both had medical background, left after disagreements with Bolsonaro over social distancing and unproven treatments against Covid-19. Pazuello had been in the post since May.

Pressure to replace Pazuello, a logistics expert in the Army, grew in the past few weeks as Brazil succumbs to a new wave of the virus. The country has consistently reported more than 75,000 cases and 2,000 deaths a day, overtaking India -- which has a population over six times larger -- in total infections.

Several hospitals across the country have no room for more patients as the nation’s health system finds itself on the brink of collapse. The surge in cases has been made worse by lax social distancing orders and a new, more contagious variant that originated in the Amazonian capital of Manaus.

Earlier this year, patients died in Manaus as oxygen ran out, a crisis that sparked a Supreme Court investigation into Pazuello’s actions and dented his reputation. The General had already faced harsh criticism over a data blackout when he first took over the job, as well as for promotion of chloroquine and other unproven medication against Covid also touted by Bolsonaro.

“It is as simple as that: one commands and the other obeys,” Pazuello said in October, when Bolsonaro disallowed his minister to buy Sinovac Biotech Ltd’s vaccine because of its Chinese origin.

A lack of vaccines -- which Pazuello is largely blamed for -- has added to concerns about the recovery of Latin America’s largest economy. Conversations with pharmaceutical companies including Pfizer Inc have dragged on for months, leaving the country with few shots at hand. The health ministry has repeatedly reduced the amount of doses it expects to have at hand in March, pushing congress to ask for a formal response and leaving states and cities trying to buy their own.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 21, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile in Florida ......

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1373408946455769089

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

spring breakers behaving exceptionally bad this year. i say use nausea gas on them like they did to protesters in the 60s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mulaney Power Move posted:

spring breakers behaving exceptionally bad this year. i say use nausea gas on them like they did to protesters in the 60s.

They weren't exactly acting responsibly last year either

Happy anniversary (plus one day) of that tweet!

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Think the brazilian variant is somewhat effected by vaccinations, its more a tragedy of what would happen without lockdowns and compliance.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Second dose trip report: wife's fever came back full force at the 48 hour mark of symptom onset after having been mostly ok after 24 hours. The internet says symptoms can last 3 ish days so hopefully she's better soon. Her symptoms have been mostly curbed by tylenol though so that's good.

I'm 20 hrs post injection and feel fine lol, arm is barely sore.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Could someone just confirm something for me - are the stated efficacy rates for the vaccines the reduction in likelihood of getting severe (i.e. requiring hospitalisation) disease, the likelihood of getting any kind of symptomatic infection, or the likelihood of getting any kind of measurable infection? Or is the reduction for all three actually around the same? And what does this actually do to the chances of a given individual who's exposed? The reason I ask is that non-expert sources will occasionally throw out a "no deaths or hospitalisations" headline about one or the other of the vaccines (particularly the AZ one) but they never seem to back that up with actual proof.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Could someone just confirm something for me - are the stated efficacy rates for the vaccines the reduction in likelihood of getting severe (i.e. requiring hospitalisation) disease, the likelihood of getting any kind of symptomatic infection, or the likelihood of getting any kind of measurable infection? Or is the reduction for all three actually around the same? And what does this actually do to the chances of a given individual who's exposed? The reason I ask is that non-expert sources will occasionally throw out a "no deaths or hospitalisations" headline about one or the other of the vaccines (particularly the AZ one) but they never seem to back that up with actual proof.

All of the vaccines went through phase 3 trials where the efficacy numbers were calculated based on slightly different primary endpoints. For Pfizer it was laboratory confirmed infection, for Moderna it was symptomatic disease. For J&J it was laboratory confirmed moderate to severe disease.

There are tons of documents out there on clinicaltrials.gov and in NEJM where the trial results were published. They aren't hard to read either so you can get all the information you want about what symptoms were counted, how efficacy was calculated etc.

Regarding the no deaths or hospitalizations thing I think some experts have tried to steer conversations towards that because like I said all the trials were different. They had different endpoints and took place with different types of variants being common. People have been trying to compare efficacy numbers but that's not really appropriate given how different the trials were so the only thing you can really say is that all the vaccines are great at keeping you out of the hospital and out of the ground.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

7of7 posted:

All of the vaccines went through phase 3 trials where the efficacy numbers were calculated based on slightly different primary endpoints. For Pfizer it was laboratory confirmed infection, for Moderna it was symptomatic disease. For J&J it was laboratory confirmed moderate to severe disease.

There are tons of documents out there on clinicaltrials.gov and in NEJM where the trial results were published. They aren't hard to read either so you can get all the information you want about what symptoms were counted, how efficacy was calculated etc.

Regarding the no deaths or hospitalizations thing I think some experts have tried to steer conversations towards that because like I said all the trials were different. They had different endpoints and took place with different types of variants being common. People have been trying to compare efficacy numbers but that's not really appropriate given how different the trials were so the only thing you can really say is that all the vaccines are great at keeping you out of the hospital and out of the ground.

Makes sense, and I think it would be nicer if the popular-science type coverage talked this up (with a bit more backing) than just bandying around percentages which it turns out are even less informative than I thought they were.

I suppose there's a bit of bet-hedging going on though, nobody particularly wants to be saying "Get this jab and you definitely won't die" even if for the vast majority of people this is absolutely true, because then having to explain to the family of the first person to die after being vaccinated (and with billions of people that's going to happen almost no matter how good the vaccine is) gets much harder and probably does more harm in the long term than the more wonkish approach.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some extraordinary raw data you might be interested in here, because our (mostly AZ) NHS vaccination program has been monster.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Testing has ramped up hugely because they are testing school kids now, new cases have flatlined at the 5-6k mark which in real terms means they are tanking, and hospitalisations are dropping. - It’s all in proportion to the vaccination program and exactly what you would expect to see if it’s working.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suppose there's a bit of bet-hedging going on though, nobody particularly wants to be saying "Get this jab and you definitely won't die" even if for the vast majority of people this is absolutely true, because then having to explain to the family of the first person to die after being vaccinated (and with billions of people that's going to happen almost no matter how good the vaccine is) gets much harder and probably does more harm in the long term than the more wonkish approach.

Yeah it's really tough. With biology nothing is certain. Some people just don't develop immunity. Other people might test positive despite being vaccinated just because they managed to get a test when the virus was still replicating in the nose/mouth and hadn't been snuffed out yet. A lot of news reporting is optimized for keeping people in a frenzy these days but it's good to not be too swayed by any one story (don't be a feigl-ding) and to try to keep an even keel.

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1373382086371987465?s=20

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if the vaccines dont work why does the government really want you to get one. no one thinks for themselves anymore. they all go to college and get brainwashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if the vaccines dont work why does the government really want you to get one. no one thinks for themselves anymore. they all go to college and get brainwashed.

Vaccines not being perfect != Vaccines not working.

Get out of here with ignorant takes like this.