Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Kaker mix - your HiLux is killer. Very interesting about that adapter, good info!

For fire vehicles I usually avoid the ones with pumps built in too as I am mainly interested in them as low mile, well maintained trucks. The Safari and Cruiser I won because I have people wanting them and I’ll never even have to list for sale.

The Daihatsu is so cool, I had to snag it, and the Atlas that is what I’ve been looking for exactly for a camper platform whether I build it or sell it as the base for a build.

And A Loud Fart:

I am opposite Kaker I am about 80% online. I have quite a few I need to sell locally that just aren’t big money but I have found a niche online and much prefer that.

Quite often the stuff I sell locally is purely word of mouth or someone sees me driving it and wants it. Have sold quite a few 4wd trucks and vans in my town just because I take the kids to school in it or drive to work.

My main motivations are 1 it is fun and keeps me occupied (way beyond occupied it’s almost another full time job) and 2 it makes me money. And 3 I too think it’s cool, why buy a new jelly bean crossover? Buy a freaking jdm 4wd people!!

everdave fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

88 Hilux double cab pickup finally in our possession and it's the ultimate dad killer. The green Hilux we had is the same deal, older millennials just love this thing, me included.

Hi, yes, you just described me! Love those trucks. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

And finished the night with one more, 1996 Nissan Atlas. Been wanting this platform for the ultimate camper build, but usually when I decide to keep something people start wanting to buy it.

Those do seem like they would make a great base for a camper or car hauler. Nice group of wins.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those do seem like they would make a great base for a camper or car hauler. Nice group of wins.

Thanks! I’m not a “fire truck fan” in that I don’t want to use them as fire trucks, but apparently people do! And that’s great. But for me I got the Atlas crew cab with 7,700 miles for WAY less than a similar “regular” one with 100k miles

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If I were an uber/lyft driver it would be really fun to buy one of these Crown Comforts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

If I were an uber/lyft driver it would be really fun to buy one of these Crown Comforts.

They’re almost all converted/sold as using propane/CNG for fuel, so.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just another 3 years till the s15 becomes legal, are they readily available or really expensive or have they all been turned into drift cars by now?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

just another 3 years till the s15 becomes legal, are they readily available or really expensive or have they all been turned into drift cars by now?

Available and expensive. People store stuff in Japan before it’s legal here. But anything can be had for a price.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On Wikipedia there's a pic of a retractable hardtop version :getin:. Although the taillights of an S15 remind me of a Grand Am.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If I was rich af and wanted to pointlessly burn some money, I'd try to buy a Delica with this rare TV accessory, then buy an FM Towns Car Marty and play period correct video games in my period correct car.

Car Marty
http://videogamekraken.com/car-marty-by-fujitsu-ten

lol inflation adjusted the Car Marty cost $2987.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Much cleaner and far cooler than the 95 ToyoAce we just sold. Remarkably different too, not just in the engine. This one is NOT a 'Just Low', meaning the rear wheels are the same size as the fronts yet are still doubled up. Still a flat bed, however. The bed itself is different, at least the sides and tailgate are totally different. The rear tailgate here has chains that can hold it level where the white one just fell all the way to the stops on the rear. The rear differential is much larger as well, owing I suppose to the fact that this is a true 1.5 ton truck. The front and interior seems the same, just much more blue. If you went with the blue vs the white I guess you got the nice visual treatment of the silver front fascia with a neat painted bumper. I don't know if that exterior sunshade was a factory part or not but it's rad as hell. The chrome on the wheels are covers but the steel wheels underneath are absolutely different as well.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I know this vehicle isn’t importable yet (2002) but I’ve been keeping my eye out on vehicles to ferry around extended family members to their doctors appointments/wherever since that usually lands in my lap, and I’d like to have at least the excuse of a use case to import something. But I stumbled across [url= something cool on OnePrice. A Crown Comfort with a woolen-looking interior.

Hybrid makes me skeptical though

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
@KakerMix dang that truck is clean! Very nice. I get potato quality port pics if I even get them.

@The Meat

I have not seen a hybrid Crown, but I chose a Crown Majesta as my daily, just took it on a 1200+ mile round trip. They are great cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I feel like I ask this anytime a truck is posted in here but what are the bed dimensions? That is a great looking truck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cacafuego posted:

If you or anyone else finds a nice 1st gen Subaru alcyone (American Subaru xt), with the pop up lights and a 5sp, please alert the thread. A friend had one of those and I’m on the lookout for one.

hello

1987 Subaru Alcyone 4WD Turbo, 5 speed. 170,000 km and rust, but looks nice enough considering there hasn't been one in the last year that's been a 5 speed turbo. Auction is up in 8~ hours so you have a reasonable amount of time depending on how serious you are.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

everdave posted:

Available and expensive. People store stuff in Japan before it’s legal here. But anything can be had for a price.

how much are we talkin here

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

hello

1987 Subaru Alcyone 4WD Turbo, 5 speed. 170,000 km and rust, but looks nice enough considering there hasn't been one in the last year that's been a 5 speed turbo. Auction is up in 8~ hours so you have a reasonable amount of time depending on how serious you are.

:tviv:

God I want that car so fuckin bad

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

im the completely batshit steering wheel

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I feel like I ask this anytime a truck is posted in here but what are the bed dimensions? That is a great looking truck.

Missed this.

If it's the same dimensions as the previous ToyoAce, it's 9 feet 2 inches long and 5 feet 2 inches wide with the sides up. Sides and tailgate down then it's ????

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

"Wow good job idiot nice Corolla" you say.
"Not so fast" I say, making this face: :smugdog:

1992 Toyota Cresta Tourer V JZX90. The 'Tourer V' is the real important part, because it means that this has a 1JZGTE twin-turbo straight six under the hood, traction control, LSD and ABS. This also happens to be a 5 speed manual version. It ALSO happens to be completely bone-stock. No single recaro, no racey steering wheel, it isn't lowered nor does it have a fat exhaust. It has under 78,000 total miles. The pictures don't show it well but this is the deep, dark emerald green.

It's a sleeper of the highest order and I am here for it.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Your level of knowledge on weird trim levels never ceases to amaze. I would have scrolled right past.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
That Cresta is exactly the car I'd want to replace my daily. I have a feeling it's going to be a long time though before one intersects with my ability to win it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man that's a cool sleeper. Great find!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Beautiful car, was on my short list for a keeper. Went with a Majesta purely for size and vacation duty, I could happily live with that beauty. Good buy!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Your level of knowledge on weird trim levels never ceases to amaze. I would have scrolled right past.

It's this platforms whole 'thing'.
There are three models, Mark II, Chaser and Cresta. Mark II is the 'base', Chaser is the sport, Cresta is the ~luxury~. This is the idea I guess, most people can't really tell a meaningful difference between a Chaser or a Mark II or a Cresta if everything else is the same, save for the Cresta having framed doors vs. frameless and all models having variations on the look. All are four door, all are RWD. The low tier models have G series engines in them (or diesels!) and are all auto. Move up towards the top though and hit the 'Tourer' models and now we're talking. Tourer S is a non-turbo automatic cruiser, like the SC 300 we got here in the states but four doors. Tourer V is the range topper and has the turbo-Supra level of power crammed into the four door body, with the available manual transmission and all the stability and traction control and go-fast bits.
It's a king of drifting, chassis is really stiff and it comes with tons of power right away. That's why when you find a stock one it's a small miracle and also not cheap in the slightest.
When looking through the auctions there are just little clues that give it away in the tiny-rear end picture. Mostly the '2500' displacement number, it's def. a JZ so a good chance it's the JZGTE rather than the non-turbo. Because they are so popular chances are good it is the Tourer V, and since I'm going to know if it's a manual transmission by the same info bar that shows me displacement I'll click through and examine the listing. This is outside of what we normally deal with, this is Nissan GTR zone.

Mtmd posted:

That Cresta is exactly the car I'd want to replace my daily. I have a feeling it's going to be a long time though before one intersects with my ability to win it.

Yeah we're curious to see how this fits as a daily. Like anything else cool prices are just climbing, these Tourer Vs with 5 speeds are Hilux/Land Cruiser money already at auction and steadily climbing. All the inexpensive ones have gone through the cycle, there aren't any left and now the ones that HAVE made it are being coveted. Just like MK4 Supras and MR2s, cheap ones are gone. If you're cool with automatics you can shave around 6k off the auction price with that alone and at least still get the turbos, or if you only want the platform you can buy a really cheap G series auto but why in the hell would you do that? :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 25, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

If it's the same dimensions as the previous ToyoAce, it's 9 feet 2 inches long and 5 feet 2 inches wide with the sides up. Sides and tailgate down then it's ????
Thanks for dimensions, it's surprisingly hard to find bed dimensions for a lot of this stuff. Keep having stupid thoughts about something like this as a race car hauler.

KakerMix posted:

1992 Toyota Cresta Tourer V JZX90. The 'Tourer V' is the real important part, because it means that this has a 1JZGTE twin-turbo straight six under the hood, traction control, LSD and ABS. This also happens to be a 5 speed manual version. It ALSO happens to be completely bone-stock. No single recaro, no racey steering wheel, it isn't lowered nor does it have a fat exhaust. It has under 78,000 total miles. The pictures don't show it well but this is the deep, dark emerald green.
Possibly the ultimate sleeper, so cool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
As somebody who lived somewhere I had to squeegee the rear window every morning, I wish all cars had rear wipers like that.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Yeah we're curious to see how this fits as a daily. Like anything else cool prices are just climbing, these Tourer Vs with 5 speeds are Hilux/Land Cruiser money already at auction and steadily climbing. All the inexpensive ones have gone through the cycle, there aren't any left and now the ones that HAVE made it are being coveted. Just like MK4 Supras and MR2s, cheap ones are gone. If you're cool with automatics you can shave around 6k off the auction price with that alone and at least still get the turbos, or if you only want the platform you can buy a really cheap G series auto but why in the hell would you do that? :v:

Yeah I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if I want any sort of JZ or RB turbo powered sleeper I'm either going to have to buy someone's ratted out project and unfuck it or just get an auto and figure out how to manual swap it. I just want a turbo straight six in a package that doesn't make every rear end in a top hat in a wrx rev at me!

Can't wait to hear more about how it goes as a daily!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I see deals on turbo autos all the time. A manual turbo 4 door is t out of the question but I think when it comes down to it, you want a Toyota and then you have competition. I picked my daily because it’s a giant NA motor I can get parts for at Advance. I would drive the hell out of Kaker’s recent buy.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for dimensions, it's surprisingly hard to find bed dimensions for a lot of this stuff. Keep having stupid thoughts about something like this as a race car hauler.

You can’t rely on the beds being consistent, some may be factory but others may be aftermarket. I suspect these Dynas may be slightly too small, you want the next size up.

This is a US spec Isuzu NPR but a great setup.

https://youtu.be/-xJENOQPcjE

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NPR is an option I'm considering and it helps they're everywhere with a ton of support and easy parts access. It does help I'm not transporting bigger cars, right now I'm using a 6x10 open trailer and can fit the car in a 6x12 enclosed.

I should really just buy a 6x14 enclosed and be done with it but it's fun to think about stupid hauler builds

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I looked on autotempest and found a dumper, fashion yourself some ramps and you might be able to make it work. Too much money though I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Isuzu-NPR-dump-truck-/224392902049

I bet you could find an actual flatbed car hauler in Japan for way less as long as you were willing to put up with RHD and the parts situation. But given they’re commercial trucks and you’re not daily driving it, you’re not going to be hammering it and any wait for parts isn’t going to be a problem.

Now this is far too new for you and also rocks half a million km but hey! You’d be up and rolling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BuckyDoneGun posted:

You can’t rely on the beds being consistent, some may be factory but others may be aftermarket. I suspect these Dynas may be slightly too small, you want the next size up.
AFAIK the majority of US market chassis-cab trucks use a standardized frame rail spacing set by the NTEA that's around 34" to allow more or less universal compatibility with aftermarket bodies. Assuming Japan has something similar there's probably nothing you can say applies to all bodies other than a maximum width.

I'm having trouble finding any published information about what said standard might be though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
FWIW I was seriously considering a JDM car hauler but in the end it didn’t make sense. The math doesn’t work out for me picking up vehicles. I do see low mile nice ones, and I’m a big Isuzu and Nissan fan whet it comes to trucks. But the shipping is so high for a long hauler.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Does anyone recognize the little wave button on the top right side of this factory deck? Something unique to japanese radio or just something for an optional cd changer?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

nmagness posted:

Does anyone recognize the little wave button on the top right side of this factory deck? Something unique to japanese radio or just something for an optional cd changer?

I could be wrong but I have that symbol for tv audio, I can pick up local talk radio with it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

NPR is an option I'm considering and it helps they're everywhere with a ton of support and easy parts access. It does help I'm not transporting bigger cars, right now I'm using a 6x10 open trailer and can fit the car in a 6x12 enclosed.

I should really just buy a 6x14 enclosed and be done with it but it's fun to think about stupid hauler builds

It doesn't make financial sense, but I too fantasize about getting a big-boy Dyna flatbed. There are plenty that show up, and it would be neat as hell to have. You're way better off getting a trailer as you mention, or at least getting a USDM Isuzu instead. But for style points, well.....

nmagness posted:

Almost positive it's for a traffic system thing in Japan, i've seen it before. This is the unit out of a 93 Hilux Surf. It has nothing to do with the CD changer, it IS unique to Japan as far as I know.

Sold the striped Prado today. Family from Missouri was heading through on the way down to the Keys. The son (college age) called us and asked to see the Hilux Surf we have. Meet them today, they take the Surf out for 30~ minutes or so on a test drive without us. They come back, and are much more talkative. As is normal, we start chatting about all sorts of things. Turns out the dad was the one the car was for, the son has had a few imports already and is super into Toyota. The dad says the 'we want to think about it, drive some newer ones' etc, typical wishy-washy stuff that lots of people do. Not a problem and expected. As we talk I ask if they want to see anything else as they are here, so why not. I point to the Prado, which was pulled out to make room for the Surf to get out of the warehouse. They didn't know it was ours (as they saw the Surf on craigslist, the son then found our website info and called from there but didn't actually look at our website) so then start looking at it. The dad asks how I would compare the Surf to the Prado.
Me, pointing at the Surf - "This is the better car to live with."
I then point at the Prado - "This is worse, but look at it."
We all chuckle, they ask to take the Prado for a test drive. Off they go for another 30~ minutes. They come back, the dad gets out and goes
"We'd like to buy this."
As we're doing the sale they mentioned that when they were on the Prado test drive they hit a light right in front of an open-air restaurant. EVERYONE looked. They didn't specifically say this is the reason, but if I were to bet I'd say that's the thing that actually sealed the deal with the Prado.
They came to look at the Hilux Surf, instead spent more money on a "worse" vehicle with the Prado. The mother had asked us if we knew what kind of tree we had in our warehouse zone, and we didn't. When we were out walking our dog tonight though we saw the same tree, looked it up and found out (Bottle Brush tree fyi). Sent the son a text to tell his mom what kind of trees they were. He texted back, said thanks and mom appreciates the information and that the Prado made it to Stuart no problem and that his dad is loving it even more.

It just so happens that this is the single fattest margin vehicle we've ever sold, as you can imagine today was a very good day :toot:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 27, 2021

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Such a cool story, congrats on the sale!

I took the Acty out for a bunch of errands, and met up with a friend in the ~trendy~ part of town for lunch. Before I got my stuff together and truck locked up I had a guy come chat me up about it. When he asked how much it cost to get here I inflated the number and he didn’t bat an eye. I need to make some cards or something to get a business started.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw a sweet blue Acty in upstate NY and thought of you guys :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

quote:

Almost positive it's for a traffic system thing in Japan, i've seen it before. This is the unit out of a 93 Hilux Surf. It has nothing to do with the CD changer, it IS unique to Japan as far as I know.

You are correct! I did a little research because I was curious as well (definitely not ETC as that didn't come in until '96) and it's a publicly available traffic information system, which works through the AM/FM radio bands in Japan.