Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I find people being angry extremely relatable. It's weirder if you aren't, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

accusing everyone in this thread of being a cishet is very tiring, especially when you're incorrect about it.
(bolding added after a misunderstanding)

I absolutely understand why Rumda might be a little tired and irritable having to constantly be the one pointing out transphobia, constantly having to pretend to be ok about it when it hurts her, and why that might translate to her stance coming across as agressive sometimes.

She shouldn't have to do the emotional labour of being polite every time someone steps on her identity, whether they meant to or not.

Transphobia doesn't always come from a conscious or malicious place, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out. And when a trans person calls it out, the absolute least people can do is take a second to listen and self examine.

Honestly, would you be ok if an issue that attacked your identity kept coming up? I don't mean this as a personal attack on you, I mean that for the purposes of this argument, I want you to take one thing about your identity you feel sensitive about and imagine that people are doing constant microagressions against it (again, not necessarily consciously or maliciously).

Do you think you could, or should remain polite and nonconfrontational in the face of that barrage?

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Nobody is arguing what happened wasn't transphobia and that it wasn't poo poo.
VitP specifically did. Most of the people Rumda calls on their behaviour come right back with a 'well actually.' And I think most of those people would realise their behaviour has issues, if they took a second to step back and self examine.

In the moment someone realises there's a problem, they have a choice. They could say "Oh poo poo sorry, you're right, how do I not get this wrong?" But they don't, people in general go super defensive and start saying why they're not. And I'm tired of pretending that it's ok.

She corrected me during the GIC discussion. I took the time to read what she wrote in good faith, and not just scanning it for phrases I could refute. I realised that I had an incorrect assumption, and instead of falling for the outrage at being 'intellectually cucked' (as VitP puts it) by having by beautiful ideas assaulted, I saw that I was wrong and I later acknowledged that.

This forum is called Debate and Discussion. We shouldn't have to entertain people who cannot accept the possibility that they might be wrong. Beyond the threadshitting, beyond the ethical stances and beyond everything else, if you need a fundamental reason people like Pissflaps and VitP should go, it's this.

I don't get the hate on Breath Ray for example. A lot of the time when they post, someone will throw up the phrase 'literal nazi' because of something they were linked to either offsite or in another thread. I've yet to see them argue for anything racist in here.

But I see VitP going through the same loop again and again. Lays low and engages mostly with newbies. After a while even they will challenge him when he lets slip by using woke as an insult or by just outright attacking someone. Then he starts getting quoted, everyone who had him on ignore starts telling him to gently caress off, and a bunch of people who don't see this happening again and again start accusing us of driving him out because they only saw the latest flare up.

Defend your position, absolutely. But nobody is getting a trophy, or a scholarship or anything meaninful at the end of this. We're not fighting for points to win here. There should be more good faith discussions going on, and that means when everyone is telling someone like Vit P that they're wrong, they should be willing to entertain that possibility rather than laying low for a while and then hopping right back on their bullshit after a while.

When all someone doing is flaring up with anti progressive freeze peach poo poo every few weeks and learning absolutely nothing - they're not debating, they're not discussing; they're waving their precious opinion around and having a tantrum when someone does actually challenge it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 20, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Don't get me wrong, trans people who suck are real,I exist for example, but I just want to get across that it's really easy to label minorities as aggressive or angry when all they're doing is asserting their own experiences, stories and discrimination

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1372844041113542657

when we did this poo poo in america after 9/11 it was dumb as poo poo glad to see it’s coming back here

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

:yeah: to all in this post

I mean, I'm not privy to any off-site drama or whatever, but the least people could do in this thread would be to at least consider that they might still be wrong or biased or accidentally insensitive despite all the Correct Leftist Opinions they hold or how much of a Good Person they consider themselves to be or whatever.

Especially when called out by trans posters in a way that frankly doesn't seem all that aggressive or rude, really. "Well, akshualy"-ing in response is honestly a bit low, in my opinion. Yeah being called out doesn't feel nice I suppose, but I'd assume that it kind of pales in comparison with what trans people go through in this country, and many other countries.

nurmie fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 20, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I am not sure if I do?
I mean the NIP stuff is a specific example. She says she has concerns about the NIP leadership, NIP guy says "Nah it's fine," no details are brought up, everyone seems to shrug and say 'maybe they both have a point,' when it kind of seems like Rumda's point is that she was kicked out of the slack without her concerns being addressed.

I think the NIP stuff should probably be discussed, especially if we're going to support the party even as a meme.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GuyTories/status/1372976946401972224?s=19
Lmao its all such a grift. Now you can be suspended for calling for lynching black people and get paid as a free speech warrior for it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have no idea what a wokescold is and i enjoy my life this way

Continuity RCP posted:

Vice signalling?

sounds to me like a Victorian era crime

misuse of the telegraph as a primitive form of cyber-sex maybe :monocle:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1372844041113542657

when we did this poo poo in america after 9/11 it was dumb as poo poo glad to see it’s coming back here

I remember asking during the US election and primaries do they have companies all over the country that sell giant US flags or do they have a whole team following people around putting them up.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean the NIP stuff is a specific example. She says she has concerns about the NIP leadership, NIP guy says "Nah it's fine," no details are brought up, everyone seems to shrug and say 'maybe they both have a point,' when it kind of seems like Rumda's point is that she was kicked out of the slack without her concerns being addressed.

I think the NIP stuff should probably be discussed, especially if we're going to support the party even as a meme.

I wasn't sure if something else was meant than that but yeah I agree that "it's fine we're a good party it's just twitter drama not important" is not a good or convincing rebuttal. Sounds dodgy to me.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 20, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

Don't get me wrong, trans people who suck are real,I exist for example, but I just want to get across that it's really easy to label minorities as aggressive or angry when all they're doing is asserting their own experiences, stories and discrimination

I like you and don’t really get why you get so much poo poo for your views on Scotland and the U.K. to be honest. I get what you’re saying, I know a lot of trans people and the vast majority I find Very Sound. After VitP’s frankly completely unhinged attack on Rumda i do think it’s time to get them out the thread. I can handle having VitP around if just for someone to argue with but that really crossed a line.

E: yeah I literally can’t form an opinion on the NIP stuff cos no ones giving any details.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 20, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
more vicious in here than a civil service typing pool reunion imo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I like you and don’t really get why you get so much poo poo for your views on Scotland and the U.K. to be honest. I get what you’re saying, I know a lot of trans people and the vast majority I find Very Sound. After VitP’s frankly completely unhinged attack on Rumda i do think it’s time to get them out the thread. I can handle having VitP around if just for someone to argue with but that really crossed a line.

I appreciate it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Some of us limit our exposure to social media and/or other forums because those things are a cancer to mental health. If I want examples of people being absolute cunts to other people, I can leave my house engage with society.

I need no evidence to accept that anyone trans is getting abuse from people online, but don't expect me to proactively look for that poo poo online so I'll understand any thread incidents if they happen. If there is something off-site that's happened that's related to drama in the thread, say so (and if you link to it, 'content warning' it, so people can decide whether to look).

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

why the gently caress are you quoting me with this post that is about vit p. Am I coming off as someone defending him? Especially considering I was one of the people telling him to gently caress off during the GIC thing? Or is this part of this loving 11d chess offsite bullshit I'm supposed to be privy to?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm replying to the two points in the post I quoted.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm replying to the two points in the post I quoted.

so you actually loving think it was wrong me for my to ask learnincurve to not loving call me a cishet when I'm bisexual? I suppose you think it's all well and proper to accuse bisexuals of being het since they pass anyway right so gently caress them? Solidarity for me but not for thee poo poo, the reality is she loving did invalidate my identity, didn't stop doing it and will probably do it again but hey who gives a gently caress about those drat bisexuals.

I never blamed rumda for bringing up things that make her angry relating her identity, I just don't want to get into arguments about things I wasn't loving aware of happening and I don't know about.

At no point did I loving agree with or defend vit p, when I said nobody was defending transphobia I guess I shouldve specified that but still, gently caress you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's assuming a LOT that wasn't in my post.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's assuming a LOT that wasn't in my post.

you loving assumed plenty that wasn't in any of my posts you loving oval office, how about you in good faith address some of the poo poo i said? Or is good faith only for when it suits you?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I tell you what, flags are insanely sexy. Let he who has never hosed a flag throw the first stone

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

you loving assumed plenty that wasn't in any of my posts you loving oval office, how about you in good faith address some of the poo poo i said? Or is good faith only for when it suits you?

It is possible for people to quote your post and then use that as a route to expand onto things they wanted to say more generally.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

It is possible for people to quote your post and then use that as a route to expand onto things they wanted to say more generally.

gently caress off you tedious oval office, they knew what they were doing.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals Good Faith Posters Team and have over 300 confirmed owns.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who was that poster who wanted to fight in the car park behind ASDA.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

In other "check the background" news:

https://twitter.com/PaulWilliamsLAB/status/1372991466239299588?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Christ this thread is boring today!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Good if true

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

For what it's worth that's how read it

also for what it's worth here is the post mentioning the "cishets".

learnincurve posted:

He’s right about this thread’s treatment of our girl Rumda, :colbert: maybe everyone has been stuck in this thread going in circles for too long but to “outsiders” this hostile behaviour towards her for going against what the cishets have decided is or isn’t transphobia, and what trans rights should be, is pretty chuffing weird.

I mean I might be blind to microaggressions, myself being a cishet and all, but it doesn't read to me as describing the population of this thread as "cishets" only. Bi erasure sucks though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Alright. Looking back at the post in context, the post you quoted and replied to was by LC about Rumda, and her getting attacked for being confrontational about transphobia in the thread.

I was using your statement that you found it 'tiring' as a jumping off point to continue that thread, but I guess rereading it carefully, it was the assumption that the thread was cishet that you found tiring and not the discussion about tranphobia, so I apologise for that innaccuracy.

My first thought when wanting to reply was that if people are feeling tired or upset by Rumda pointing out transphobia, we are probably experiencing less than a tenth of the existential exhaustion trans people go through every day just trying to exist and go about their lives on this hell island.

Maybe I didn't make that distinction clear enough, maybe I shouldn't have scan read your post and replied to my initial reading of it. But I really don't know why you're reading it as an attack on you and maybe you can clarify the points in my post where I attacked you, because I am genuinely confused and want to know how I gave that impression.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nurmie posted:

I mean I might be blind to microaggressions, myself being a cishet and all, but it doesn't read to me as describing the population of this thread as "cishets" only. Bi erasure sucks though

I did read it that way but I am used to it so I suppose it doesn't bother me very much. Plus I know for a fact I'm never going to get LC to change how she expresses things even if it did.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nurmie posted:

I never said that (what he thinks), I said over several pages that it’s the cishets in this thread that need to step back and check if they listen to trans people enough. Believe women.

If that guy going off thinks it applies to him, when he’s not cishet, then that says way way more about him that it does me.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

:yikes:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Alright. Looking back at the post in context, the post you quoted and replied to was by LC about Rumda, and her getting attacked for being confrontational about transphobia in the thread.

I was using your statement that you found it 'tiring' as a jumping off point to continue that thread, but I guess rereading it carefully, it was the assumption that the thread was cishet that you found tiring and not the discussion about tranphobia, so I apologise for that innaccuracy.

My first thought when wanting to reply was that if people are feeling tired or upset by Rumda pointing out transphobia, we are probably experiencing less than a tenth of the existential exhaustion trans people go through every day just trying to exist and go about their lives on this hell island.

Maybe I didn't make that distinction clear enough, maybe I shouldn't have scan read your post and replied to my initial reading of it. But I really don't know why you're reading it as an attack on you and maybe you can clarify the points in my post where I attacked you, because I am genuinely confused and want to know how I gave that impression.

Initially when you qouted my in that post I was confused as to why you took me qouting saying I would not like to be referred to as cishet as somehow attacking rumda for calling out transphobia and then the rest of the post was about vitamin p, so I made the post slightly annoyed asking why you bothered quoting me in that post to which you replied that you were specificially replying to those points at that I got extremely angry and was under the assumption you thought I was either defending vitamin p or was of a similar ilk and got extremely angry, since I very quickly due to my many undiagnosed mental illnesses can go from slightly annoyed to psychotically angry I ended up lashing out probably to an extreme degree than most people would but it was probably to an extent bottling up the anger I had in general.

I think generally this whole thing was probably a big misunderstanding on all sides and I'm sorry for *gestures vaguely towards thread*

nurmie posted:

i (still) don't understand what learnincurve was reffering to so I was under the impression she was referring to the NIP chat earlier and was accusing anyone taking part as a cishet but I did probably jump to conclusions on it, I once again am extremely mentally ill.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's kinda a confusing post, "he's right" in that context seems to refer to vitamin p but the rest of the post is the exact opposite of what vitamin p thinks so I didn't know how to read it

anyway perhaps it is best to just talk about crisps again for a bit

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

thinking about scampi niknaks, I remembered that I actually like all the niknak flavours

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E: scampi niknaks are extremely my poo poo, as are rib & saucy. Nice n Spicy are the tragic consolation prize in those multipacks.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Initially when you qouted my in that post I was confused as to why you took me qouting saying I would not like to be referred to as cishet as somehow attacking rumda for calling out transphobia and then the rest of the post was about vitamin p, so I made the post slightly annoyed asking why you bothered quoting me in that post to which you replied that you were specificially replying to those points at that I got extremely angry and was under the assumption you thought I was either defending vitamin p or was of a similar ilk and got extremely angry, since I very quickly due to my many undiagnosed mental illnesses can go from slightly annoyed to psychotically angry I ended up lashing out probably to an extreme degree than most people would but it was probably to an extent bottling up the anger I had in general.

I think generally this whole thing was probably a big misunderstanding on all sides and I'm sorry for *gestures vaguely towards thread*
That's fair, everyone's going through their own stuff, and the internet / text is a medium that is very prone to misinterpretation. I'll go edit bolding into my post to make it clearer to anyone else what I was doing if it helps.

I didn't think you were defending VitP, but I do have a habit of using 'you' rhetorically in posts and it's bitten me in the rear end before.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
yeah it does seem to me like a great big misunderstanding to be honest. Being angry is completely valid though.

however, for what it's worth, I honestly think that 99% of this thread generally engages in good faith, which is worth considering (might be hard when everything sucks as much rear end as it currently does of course)

again, fwiw i might not be reading stuff correctly as well - tripping balls on a shot of Astra Zeneca and 35 hours without sleep here lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wasn’t targeting anyone directly - way back when this drama started I initially begged people who were not-LGBT+ to remember that this is a deeply complicated issue which revolves around horrific evil people trying to strip trans men and women of basic human rights, and when non-trans people start giving opinions on what is or isn’t transphobic then they deny the trans community the free agency to name their own oppressors.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The nice n spicy ones do get a little dull after a while though. I would judge the person who buys the multipacks of just those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's fair, everyone's going through their own stuff, and the internet / text is a medium that is very prone to misinterpretation. I'll go edit bolding into my post to make it clearer to anyone else what I was doing if it helps.

I didn't think you were defending VitP, but I do have a habit of using 'you' rhetorically in posts and it's bitten me in the rear end before.

i'm not good at reading at the best of times tbh, all of this probably hasn't been helped with my ear ache turning into tinnitus for the past 2 days which I do not recommend to anyone!