Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Syd Midnight posted:

Can't be, because when you combine them you get solid gold, not explosions (aside from the ZP guy quitting and leaving forever).

though sometimes combining the zen pencil guy's own words with his comic can be good too

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Don't you dare spin your cocoon in my chair, Bartholomew. That's where I'm sitting.

Can you also catch me some chips

According to my phone, this comic features Adaptato and reginale

I have gratitude for your platitudes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Syd Midnight posted:

Can't be, because when you combine them you get solid gold, not explosions (aside from the ZP guy quitting and leaving forever).

though sometimes combining the zen pencil guy's own words with his comic can be good too

lmao

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Syd Midnight posted:

Ah, so this is what it's all for

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People who enjoy sharing and consuming all that sort of "inspirational" stuff like Zen Pencils usually seem oddly brittle to me. Like they're effusive and friendly and positive but also ready to snap at any time. Also beyond the sometimes poorly sourced quotes from famous people they often seem to have this really dark view of human nature.

In my personal experience, you don't generally talk about how good things are or how lucky you are when you're feeling good or lucky. You say it because you need it to be true, and that's generally why people who seem super positive like this can blow up at you if your coping strategy is bursting their balloons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Honestly they're more likely to blow up at you because trying to destroy someone's worldview because they shared a lovely webcomic with you is a bizarrely antisocial thing to do. I mean I find that "inspirational" glurge as annoying as anyone, but this last page of people saying "Chicken Soup for the Soul eh? They must lead hollow, fearful lives" is some real eyerolly neckbeard-Confucius type crap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Moon Monster posted:

Honestly they're more likely to blow up at you because trying to destroy someone's worldview because they shared a lovely webcomic with you is a bizarrely antisocial thing to do. I mean I find that "inspirational" glurge as annoying as anyone, but this last page of people saying "Chicken Soup for the Soul eh? They must lead hollow, fearful lives" is some real eyerolly neckbeard-Confucius type crap.

Yeah the real violence is telling someone a lovely webcomic is lovely

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'm not really sure how sharing my own personal experience and feelings is equivalent to attempting to create a unified theory of why people do things, but ok.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think they live hollow, fearful lives, I think they scare me. My anecdotal life experience has taught me that they're less likely to respond to something unexpected or negative in a calm or productive manner. I'd prefer loud and pushy over somebody who shares Zen Pencils or has an inspirational quote of the day calendar.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Moon Monster posted:

I think that sometimes people respond to glurge-rear end stuff like this by striving to be anti-glurge, and the thing is that if you're defining yourself by NOT being something, you're still using it as your self-definition. Like it's a question of intensity. "lmao what the gently caress" or "that's pretty sad' is one thing, "this literally hurt me" is another.

There are brittle-rear end weirdos in all nooks and crannies. They may be more or less common in some vs. the others, but any social group with a size greater than 1 is going to have weirdos in it. The solution is to accept you're the weirdo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
dun dun DUUUUUUN!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I disliked Justice League and I disliked Batman vs Superman, quite a lot actually,

But I did like Man of Steel. It was pretty solid in my opinion

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I disliked Justice League and I disliked Batman vs Superman, quite a lot actually,

But I did like Man of Steel. It was pretty solid in my opinion

Interesting. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on Justice League et al. Please keep us updated if you watch any more DC films.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arrhythmia posted:

Interesting. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on Justice League et al. Please keep us updated if you watch any more DC films.

No don't

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I liked this part of the Snyder Cut

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Crying from pride like the original right?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nessus posted:

I think that sometimes people respond to glurge-rear end stuff like this by striving to be anti-glurge, and the thing is that if you're defining yourself by NOT being something, you're still using it as your self-definition. Like it's a question of intensity. "lmao what the gently caress" or "that's pretty sad' is one thing, "this literally hurt me" is another.

There are brittle-rear end weirdos in all nooks and crannies. They may be more or less common in some vs. the others, but any social group with a size greater than 1 is going to have weirdos in it. The solution is to accept you're the weirdo.

im gay

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can't be anti-glurge. One of my best friends is a glurge.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

loving LOL

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

This is kinda why the big thing in online culture is sincerity nowadays, for better or worse. Glurge is basically defined as 'toxic positivity', which easily becomes just as bad as negativity.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

One of the people I take care of at work has a sister in law that's relentlessly positive and upbeat. I've never met her but I've talked with her on the phone a few times. The other night I took a phone call from her. I forget exactly but it went something like "Hi, this is [name]. I have a message that I want you to pass on to [other name]. Actually, it's the same message as before, but that's okay, because it's new every time I say it. I want you to tell her that I love her very much, and that god loves her very much. Please tell her good night, and that I am so thankful she is in my life, and that she's the best sister I could ever have."

Some people just gotta be like that. Her message was, in fact, the exact same as the last time she asked me to pass it along

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ziv Zulander posted:

One of the people I take care of at work has a sister in law that's relentlessly positive and upbeat. I've never met her but I've talked with her on the phone a few times. The other night I took a phone call from her. I forget exactly but it went something like "Hi, this is [name]. I have a message that I want you to pass on to [other name]. Actually, it's the same message as before, but that's okay, because it's new every time I say it. I want you to tell her that I love her very much, and that god loves her very much. Please tell her good night, and that I am so thankful she is in my life, and that she's the best sister I could ever have."

Some people just gotta be like that. Her message was, in fact, the exact same as the last time she asked me to pass it along

It's a good message. I hope a webcomic artist doesn't use for their nefarious purposes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nessus posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is kinda why the big thing in online culture is sincerity nowadays, for better or worse. Glurge is basically defined as 'toxic positivity', which easily becomes just as bad as negativity.

It's pretty telling that the term was created by the snopes.com online community whose entire reason for existing was pretty much an embodiment of that xkcd "Someone is wrong on the interrnet!" strip and was chock full of smug brittle knowitalls.
I used to post on their forums quite a lot back in the day but eventually drifted away when it became clear that a lot of them weren't really concerned about finding the rights answers via research and discussion, only in proving that the answers they're already arrived at were the right ones. Pretty much the opposite of what I thought the group would stand for.
Mrs Snopes used to keep the forums in check while Mr Snopes ran the website side of things but when they separated the forums were pretty much left to their own devices and got even worse.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty telling that the term was created by the snopes.com online community whose entire reason for existing was pretty much an embodiment of that xkcd "Someone is wrong on the interrnet!" strip and was chock full of smug brittle knowitalls.
I used to post on their forums quite a lot back in the day but eventually drifted away when it became clear that a lot of them weren't really concerned about finding the rights answers via research and discussion, only in proving that the answers they're already arrived at were the right ones. Pretty much the opposite of what I thought the group would stand for.
Mrs Snopes used to keep the forums in check while Mr Snopes ran the website side of things but when they separated the forums were pretty much left to their own devices and got even worse.

Mostly false. The site's creators aren't called Mr and Mrs Snopes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

it's sad to see what happens to sites with bad owners and mods

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's sad to see what happens to sites with bad owners and mods

I also used to post on the worth1000.com forums which all went to gently caress because of the lovely owner, I've had the worst luck

E: oh poo poo maybe I'm a jinx :ohdear:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

It's fine to take inspiration from whatever saccharine crap. It's also fine to make fun of Zen Pencils. Namaste

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Maybe throw in a little Talented too. Oh, and did we already say Handsome?

'Is this what you wanted,' said Beartato, gyrating wildly to the beat, sweat pouring down his giant goofy face. 'Is it worth it to you?' Reginald's macarena slowed visibly as he considered the question. Then he jumped into the air, clapping and turning a quarter-turn to the left: 'Yes, Beartato. Yes it is.'

At least I captured the subtleties of the light of late summer glancing off his paws

How long will you haunt me Bartholomew

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Fools Infinite posted:

'Is this what you wanted,' said Beartato, gyrating wildly to the beat, sweat pouring down his giant goofy face. 'Is it worth it to you?' Reginald's macarena slowed visibly as he considered the question. Then he jumped into the air, clapping and turning a quarter-turn to the left: 'Yes, Beartato. Yes it is.'

The little touch of Reginald messing with the partystat to affect the partyometer instead of just touching the partyometer is fantastic.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The partyometer is behind glass.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1372925831216041986

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This guy looks like the DOOM SLAYER of trees.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think PFSC is really starting to pick up, but I'm a sucker for showcases of terrible people in their natural environment: unavoidable family events.