Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

As soon as they start attacking civilians they are bad guys.

Depends on the civilians, IMHO. Jeff Bezos is a civilian but anyone who broke into his top floor office and tossed him out the fuckin window would be the world's greatest hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I thought "the Blip" was the 5 years that half the world missed. Doesn't make it any better.

If it wasn't that it seems that's what it is now. They specifically said in this episode that the Flag Smashers believe everything was better "during The Blip" so it seems it's describing that period of time now and not either of the actual acts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, I'm also wondering how they're going to strawman the Flag Smashers into being actual villains.

Hopefully the rest of the episodes ditch the Law & Order quality exposition dialog and clear up why lefties are the bad guys because the Action, Story, Acting, Cinematography, etc was all great.

I thought "the Blip" was the 5 years that half the world missed. Doesn't make it any better.

I suspect they're going to go with "this is the cover we're using to distract from our actual dastardly deeds". I mean, Batroc pulled all the people into one place to help him get away with the stolen loot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Depends on the civilians, IMHO. Jeff Bezos is a civilian but anyone who broke into his top floor office and tossed him out the fuckin window would be the world's greatest hero.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT VINCE

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Medullah posted:

I suspect they're going to go with "this is the cover we're using to distract from our actual dastardly deeds". I mean, Batroc pulled all the people into one place to help him get away with the stolen loot.

That wasn't the person you put in the spoilers.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Not only this but I only saw them attack cops so far, which is apropo given that cops fall under "attack civilians = villain"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT VINCE

I know I know. I'm actually really nervous how they approach this. I personally think marvel has a decent, if not perfect, track record for this stuff, but a bunch of poor, mostly minority young people in black and red clothes and masks who are attacking rich people being the villains in 2021 is... Hard for me. I don't think I'm going to end up being happy no matter what they do here unless they honestly just portray them as being right. If you make it so Zemo is using them, it's the Dark Knight Rises problem, where actual, real world problems are written off as gullible people being manipulated, if you make it so they're just Evil, then you're again taking real world problems and saying anyone who has them is bad. It's a no win and I don't think I'm going to come out of this show feeling at all positive about their portrayal of this clear antifa analog.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

That wasn't the person you put in the spoilers.

Really? Maybe I just assumed it was since I had it spoiled for me on Twitter that he was in it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Medullah posted:

Really? Maybe I just assumed it was since I had it spoiled for me on Twitter that he was in it.

Batroc was the guy in the first action scene with the planes/helicopters, he’s not part of the Flag Smashers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Medullah posted:

he's in the episode, but not in that scene

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Batroc is in the opening and leaps right off a fuckin plane, presumably to his death.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I knew that was him in the beginning, for some reason I assumed it was him there as well. I suppose then it'll be Dud from Lodge 49

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If we're talking about the big guy I'm pretty sure he's just a red herring to make people who haven't been following behind the scenes stuff think he's the leader, not the lady handing out the masks, and isn't gonna be anyone important or even named from the comics. Maybe as an Easter egg he's named after one of the flag smashers from the comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know it only kinda bothered me during WandaVision but I think I've officially decided that the Marvel Studios intro is the most up its own rear end thing and I hate it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batroc is in the opening and leaps right off a fuckin plane, presumably to his death.

He's the one who jumped out of the helicopter before it exploded and was wearing a working squirrel suit and parachute, I'm pretty sure he lived

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

As soon as they start attacking civilians they are bad guys.

Luckily nobody is a civilian in a war with america.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He's the one who jumped out of the helicopter before it exploded and was wearing a working squirrel suit and parachute, I'm pretty sure he lived

The last time we see him he's flailing around while falling straight down. Maybe he got the suit going after we cut there, but until they confirm other wise, I'm assuming he's street pizza.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe I'll be proven wrong but the show opening with Sam working with the government while the Flagsmashers are introduced as gonna be the villains, but then the US coming out with a new, official white Cap with the shield and everything gives me confidence it's gonna swerve a potential "antifa is bad" message.

Steve wasn't afraid to tell the powers that be to go gently caress themselves to be a hero so I can easily see Sam embracing that (again) as the next Cap being his arc. Along the way, Bucky realises that he'll never have peace, but he can use his skills to fight for a better world and make up for his past misdeeds through good acts going forward. Show ends with him finally telling his friend how his son died, maybe.

Thanks for reading my marvel fanfiction.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

The last time we see him he's flailing around while falling straight down. Maybe he got the suit going after we cut there, but until they confirm other wise, I'm assuming he's street pizza.

They made a point of showing him escaping the thing that exploded and then never actually showed him hit the ground after that. He's not a random mook, he's a named villain and he's highly trained with a way to save himself. He's alive until we hear otherwise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

As we all know from years of comics, if they don't show a body, the person is obviously dead forever

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he made a well timed leap off the ground and survived

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

he made a well timed leap off the ground and survived

This answer I'll accept. The rest of you, try harder next time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, he's Batroc ZEE LEAPER

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

TwoPair posted:

You know it only kinda bothered me during WandaVision but I think I've officially decided that the Marvel Studios intro is the most up its own rear end thing and I hate it.

it's like five times longer than it needs to be and is scored like a cartoon about a large bear going jogging, just the pits every time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The extremely short version from AoS would be better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's fine on movies, it's too much on TV shows.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Yeah seeing it maybe twice a year is whatever seeing it every week for months is grating.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I mean, he's Batroc ZEE LEAPER

Master of the French art of foot-fighting.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Honestly even if they hadn't shown him jumping out before the explosion I'd still assume he survived, it's action movie/comic book logic. They would have to do one of those "close up on his face while he acknowledges it's the end" things.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A talking coyote posted:

Yeah seeing it maybe twice a year is whatever seeing it every week for months is grating.

Yeah that's my thought, I never really noticed it back when it was just movies but now on a weekly basis it's like come on guys not every episode of this show is loving Endgame.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, I'm also wondering how they're going to strawman the Flag Smashers into being actual villains.

Hopefully the rest of the episodes ditch the Law & Order quality exposition dialog and clear up why lefties are the bad guys because the Action, Story, Acting, Cinematography, etc was all great.

Only one Flag Smasher actually needs to be a bad guy, the rest can easily be well intentioned civilians falling under the sway of a charismatic leader for a while, especially if that leader doesn't actually support their goals. Chances are they'll also have a few super loyal mooks that are in the grift so the fight scenes can be longer.

Also when would Tony have been able to set up provisions in a will for guys like Sam? The time between their rebirth and his death was like 10 minutes. I guess he could have done the whole thing on speculation.

That said I do like imagining him sitting around working out the finances of every other Avenger snapped or otherwise and trying to figure how much money to leave each without being insulting. "Scott seems to have some sort of security start up job that certainly collapsed during the snap, but he also owned a three story San Francisco townhome that he lived in alone, so he's nearly as rich as I am somehow... How much money does a wizard need? Does Stephen need less money because he's a better wizard or more money because sorceror supreme isn't a paid position but librarian of Kamar-Taj probably is? Hawkeye seems to own about half of Montana, he'll be fine. How many layers of hanger-on do I need to insure here. Am I doing something for Sharon Carter?"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 20, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like when it comes to the baddies US Agent is going to be sent to rah rah against them and talk about how awful they are while Sam and Bucky are more understanding toward their plight. Obviously Zemo is a bad guy who probably can't be reasoned with. I feel like the lady is ripe for a face turn. Maybe I'm wrong and the optics will be awful, but I feel like the MCU has always been very aware of modern era Captain America's pitfalls and worked to avoid them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Given all the other stuff in the episode I'm assuming they'll acknowledge that Flag Smasher isn't being super evil or anything down the road. I'm also kind of expecting a twist where Walker turns out to not be an rear end in a top hat or anything

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sam's backstory has me thinking a lot about the snap. Did the fishing industry suffer dramatically from half the fish suddenly disappearing, or was it better for the survivors as half the fishermen suddenly vanished? Fish populations are often already pretty close to unsustainably low, did losing half the blue fin tuna population all at once put them on an unstable crash to extinction where even half of them coming back five years later couldn't save the species? I'm assuming Thanos just didn't care about critically endangered populations, like eliminating half of all surviving vaquita porpoises would almost assuredly eliminate the species in a few years time. He might have dropped the population of Lord Howe Island stick insects from 24 in the world to 12! Way to save a species by assuring their death by genetic diversity loss, Thanos.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The snap is just half of "all life" though right? It's not necessarily species by species. There might be entire species wiped out, while some are unaffected. Entire towns gone or untouched. Maybe all the cast of a certain TV show or sitcom is gone. Maybe all of a certain cicada species vanished, but no one is gonna notice until they are five years late for the breeding season. There might be entire planets out there that woke up one day and suddenly all their stored food is spoiled and the buildings are run down.

We know that some whale species recovered populations during the blip, maybe carp are doing fine now too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said back when Far From Home came out that I would watch a series about the after effects of both the snap and the blip on people's lives that has nothing to do with superheroes. Basically a Leftovers but with Hulk references.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

Sam's backstory has me thinking a lot about the snap. Did the fishing industry suffer dramatically from half the fish suddenly disappearing, or was it better for the survivors as half the fishermen suddenly vanished? Fish populations are often already pretty close to unsustainably low, did losing half the blue fin tuna population all at once put them on an unstable crash to extinction where even half of them coming back five years later couldn't save the species? I'm assuming Thanos just didn't care about critically endangered populations, like eliminating half of all surviving vaquita porpoises would almost assuredly eliminate the species in a few years time. He might have dropped the population of Lord Howe Island stick insects from 24 in the world to 12! Way to save a species by assuring their death by genetic diversity loss, Thanos.

Well he's not known far and wide as "Thanos the Rational Titan."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Well he's not known far and wide as "Thanos the Rational Titan."

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to get in an argument with his ideology, I'm just curious about the ramifications of his results.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The snap is just half of "all life" though right? It's not necessarily species by species. There might be entire species wiped out, while some are unaffected. Entire towns gone or untouched. Maybe all the cast of a certain TV show or sitcom is gone. Maybe all of a certain cicada species vanished, but no one is gonna notice until they are five years late for the breeding season. There might be entire planets out there that woke up one day and suddenly all their stored food is spoiled and the buildings are run down.

We know that some whale species recovered populations during the blip, maybe carp are doing fine now too.

I would say that's the best "unstable molecules" style answer to deal with this stuff going forward. Otherwise it raises all kinds of complex questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

theironjef posted:

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think it ended up being "Half of all Intelligent Life." Considering that the inciting event for the dude was mass starvation on Titan, it doesn't make sense for Thanos to wipe out half the universe's food at the same time as half it's intelligent population. That doesn't change anything. Consider that we never see any plants or animals ash out or come back to life. This is especially notable in Wakanda where there's grass and trees everywhere, but none of them are vanishing while half the people are.