Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

There is also this option which is much easier vs the Pi

https://youtu.be/eXfultzENjY

No fuss no muss.

Ah, just slap some stuff on a generic Android box; cool, cool.

I'm also thinking of doing... something enclosure-wise with a broken-rear end NES I've had for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's also MiSTer which will give you a much more accurate experience but there's no cores for PS1/PSP at the moment (though PS1 at least is in development)

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's also MiSTer which will give you a much more accurate experience but there's no cores for PS1/PSP at the moment (though PS1 at least is in development)

Now THAT is something! :circlefap:
Darn, N64 seems technically impossible on the platform... Eh, I still have my N64.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Now THAT is something! :circlefap:
Darn, N64 seems technically impossible on the platform... Eh, I still have my N64.

Honestly if you have the money you can get some of these more powerful NUC machines that will do pretty much everything up to PS3.

They are tiny as hell too.

If you look at that dudes YouTube channel he reviews a lot of them for emulation.

It’s not a bad way to go if you want to be sure to emulate everything possible with no fuss.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Super Console X is the best all round emulation box right now. Powerful, cheap, plays everything up to dreamcast without fuss and you can install kodi or plex and use it as your htpc

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

MarcusSA posted:

New unboxing / quick look.

At 13:00 he talks about how he uses the L1/L2 which makes way more sense vs whatever that other dude was doing lol

https://youtu.be/LJdSWVt7IbQ

yeah, this looks way more sensible than what the other guy was doing, I'm gonna grab one after all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I am gonna hold off on it TBH. My Aya Neo would be here a out the same time and that can do significantly more. I might just hack my vita or something in the mean time ( or just use the fuckin RG350 I already have ).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

flavor.flv posted:

The Super Console X is the best all round emulation box right now. Powerful, cheap, plays everything up to dreamcast without fuss and you can install kodi or plex and use it as your htpc

does the price point start skyrocketing once you include ps2/gamecube?

i’ve seen a dedicated tower for $500 that does everything up to 360 and ps3 (so presumably wii as well) and i don’t think i quite need that much power (yet) and the fact that it’s windows based means it’s essentially just a pc in a pc form factor which takes some of the fun out of it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

i’ve seen a dedicated tower for $500 that does everything up to 360 and ps3 (so presumably wii as well) and i don’t think i quite need that much power (yet)

Yeah to about the 200 range for that.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The 351v is really nice though I can see a little backlight leakage on solid black screens from certain angles

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
According to redditors, the 351V is glass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think these are all the retro handhelds I have.

The big one is a GPD something ( I can’t remember)

The white one is a GBA clone (it has a GBA slot on the bottom).

The RG350 works great.

The retro mini doesn’t work so great but it wasn’t expensive.

The GPD 3DS clone works ok I just need to change the firmware around because the stock stuff sucks.

Edit: it’s a GPD XD

quote:

The GPD XD contains a Rockchip RK3288 SoC, which consists of an ARM Cortex-A17 clocked at 1.4 GHz, paired with the Mali-T764, which is clocked at 600 MHz. This allows the XD to be used for native 3D accelerated Android games as well as emulation, which is the device's main selling point. The device's power allows it to emulate systems up to the Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo DS, albeit with varying levels of quality. The system also has 2 GB of DDR3-SDRAM and a 720p display.[5]

So maybe a little les powerful vs the 351? It’s hard to say.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 19, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Declan MacManus posted:

i’ve seen a dedicated tower for $500 that does everything up to 360 and ps3 (so presumably wii as well) and i don’t think i quite need that much power (yet) and the fact that it’s windows based means it’s essentially just a pc in a pc form factor which takes some of the fun out of it

I think a hard thing to balance is the price to performance ratio with these types of consoles which is why these devices have kind of hovered around changing the form factor.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m jealous of your Oregon Trail handheld lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’m jealous of your Oregon Trail handheld lol.

That was a $25 target special!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, if we're including that kind of thing, then this is my collection:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

flavor.flv posted:

Oh, if we're including that kind of thing, then this is my collection:

I’m gonna need links for all these, especially the skee-ball!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've been meaning to make a big effortpost about these things,

The 3 inch machines are made by Super Impulse

Boardwalk Arcade (WARNING: the ninja turtles pinball table is the only one of these worth getting)

Tiny Arcade (WARNING: the ninja turtles arcade is a port of the java flip phone game and it loving sucks)

Skee Ball and Rampage are made by Basic Fun as part of their Arcade Classics line, and most of them are walmart exclusive. Anything I can find on ebay or amazon is severely overpriced, if you're outside of the US you're pretty much boned. Sometimes stuff shows up at Toys R Us, but it's a crap shoot what makes it out of the states. If anybody can get ahold of that Fix-it Felix Jr. machine please PM me

The street fighter machine is actually a bootleg genesis system on a chip I got on aliexpress, and it has a bunch more roms on it including mortal kombat, streets of rage 3 and bible adventures. It's the jewel of my collection.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000290771486.html

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well my GPD XD run was short lived. The stock firmware was always whack so I tried to flash it to a better custom version (the firm ware should work as its a big community one) and well its bricked lol.

I'm not 100% sure the device was always working to start with :shrug:

I spent a few hours trying to fix it but no dice.

Oh well!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Toooootal shot in the dark but I’ve had hardware unbrick enough to reflash after pulling the battery for a few minutes. Maybe try that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Toooootal shot in the dark but I’ve had hardware unbrick enough to reflash after pulling the battery for a few minutes. Maybe try that?

I’d have to take the back off and pull it that way.

It’s an android machine and it takes me to the android recovery screen it just doesn’t see the update File on the SD card.

There is another option but that involves installing sketch Chinese software on my PC and doing it from there.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
My wife loves the 351v and has mostly been playing snes on it bc it's pixel perfect. She had one as a kid and never played the marios for it, just the donkey kongs, and so really loves it

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
On the small screen, it's definitely better to have the home consoles perfect and GBA scaled

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

It’s an android machine and it takes me to the android recovery screen it just doesn’t see the update File on the SD card.

There is another option but that involves installing sketch Chinese software on my PC and doing it from there.

Might have to join us in the “I ordered a 341V” club!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The 64 gig card comes with the goofiest romset ever, Dreamcast stuff it can't run more than a few fps, Pokemon romhacks, etc

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

MarcusSA posted:

if it's the original GPD XD, make sure that you're installing legacyrom, cleanrom is only for the GPD XD+. Way back when i downloaded the rockchip flashing tool (or something named like that) and reflashed mine that way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Voodoo Cafe posted:

if it's the original GPD XD, make sure that you're installing legacyrom, cleanrom is only for the GPD XD+. Way back when i downloaded the rockchip flashing tool (or something named like that) and reflashed mine that way.

Yeah that’s what I did and it just locks up on the boot screen. Sometimes it reboots itself but it never gets past the legacy rom boot screen.

In other news DC got a pretty nice boost on the RG351

https://youtu.be/vfL3ohWaYgk

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My RG351V has been “dispatched”.

I assume that means shipped. That was fast! I did FedEx too so maybe next week sometime?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Rolo posted:

My RG351V has been “dispatched”.

I assume that means shipped. That was fast! I did FedEx too so maybe next week sometime?

Mine was dispatched the 13th and arrived the 17th. Ordered on the 8th.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SchnorkIes posted:

Mine was dispatched the 13th and arrived the 17th. Ordered on the 8th.

Oh awesome, you live in the states?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Rolo posted:

Oh awesome, you live in the states?

yes east coast

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SchnorkIes posted:

The 64 gig card comes with the goofiest romset ever, Dreamcast stuff it can't run more than a few fps, Pokemon romhacks, etc

Premade images almost always suck. I've tried a few on Retropie setups, and they almost always have arcade games set to the wrong emulator, games listed twice because they left original and revision 1 ROMs on there (with no differences listed in the title), and all kinds of other nonsense. They seem to go for the biggest number of games regardless of quality.

I've been building sets for myself that I can just copy from device to device so I don't have to deal with that stuff.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

TVs Ian posted:

Premade images almost always suck. I've tried a few on Retropie setups, and they almost always have arcade games set to the wrong emulator, games listed twice because they left original and revision 1 ROMs on there (with no differences listed in the title), and all kinds of other nonsense. They seem to go for the biggest number of games regardless of quality.

I've been building sets for myself that I can just copy from device to device so I don't have to deal with that stuff.

Yeah I'm honestly making a pared down "best of" set so I don't have 16,000 games on there when there's probably 30 that will ever see play.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
On these Chinese emulator consoles that try to have artwork and such preloaded for most roms: how do they recognize your collection, i.e. is it by filename ala goodset, nointro, etc, or is it by hashdump ala retroachievements?

Because I'd like to get one of these things some day so I'm thinking about cleaning up either my filenames or making sure I have the right dumps, because gently caress messing with full romsets of anything, ever.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

On these Chinese emulator consoles that try to have artwork and such preloaded for most roms: how do they recognize your collection, i.e. is it by filename ala goodset, nointro, etc, or is it by hashdump ala retroachievements?

Because I'd like to get one of these things some day so I'm thinking about cleaning up either my filenames or making sure I have the right dumps, because gently caress messing with full romsets of anything, ever.

I'm going to guess it varies with the software, the 351V has wifi and so I'm going to guess it just uses emulationstation's setup because that's what it is.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Imagined posted:

on the rg351 it just searches for the file name of the rom and downloads the metadata and cover art from the internet. works like 99% of the time. if it doesn’t pick it up you can do a manual search, or as a last resort add the record yourself by editing an xml file and dropping a png in a folder

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SchnorkIes posted:

Yeah I'm honestly making a pared down "best of" set so I don't have 16,000 games on there when there's probably 30 that will ever see play.

I do this with all my flashcarts and whatnot, I actually enjoy making a curated collection, going through best games and hidden gems lists and whatnot

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SchnorkIes posted:

yes east coast

Sweeeet same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/TGze7TNAqbM

This just popped up in my feed and might be a pretty good alternative to the super console X.

It looks like it’s $50 from AliExpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi

There is a new gameboy micro (that also plays ps1 games)

https://youtu.be/kuXmCcR2arY

lol

$77

I really shouldn’t buy one but drat it’s so cute.