Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kai D. O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There was a point where I legit forgot whether or not Buggy D. Clown was real or a joke someone made

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's all real, Buggy will become the Pirate King, Stelly is gonna sit on the chair, Noah will carry all the fishmen to the surface, and Caribou is next nakama.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
O'D. En
Turns out Oda got confused and thought he was referencing Ireland with the Wano arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

What is gross about a man wearing a diaper

I mean, the Diaper Bombs are a little suspect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Law is just fronting a tough guy act right?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Len posted:

Correct.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

Eh, he seems to take himself pretty seriously. It's just that the rest of the world doesn't.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Law is an alien visitor from a much more grim and serious shonen manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Law seems like he’s trying to be the Sasuke of this world but nearly everything about it is so goofy that it’s impossible (also Law is much more likable)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terror Sweat posted:

There's some real fun googling ahead of you. Though, since you're here on SA your definition of gross may be skewed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Law seems like he’s trying to be the Sasuke of this world but nearly everything about it is so goofy that it’s impossible (also Law is much more likable)

I was pretty ambivalent on Law on his intro besides Bepo but he’s been pretty consistently great since Punk Hazard tbh. We haven’t had a straightman since...poo poo, freaking Vivi.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Libra posted:

That's what it feels like so far yeah

He's the Surgeon of Death and covered in edgy tattoos

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
it takes him a while to warm up to the crew but Law has been a great addition. It does feel a bit weird that we know him so well but his crew barely exists

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Terror Sweat posted:

There's a huge difference between an adult man wearing a diaper, and an adult man wearing just a diaper.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

He's not gross, he's a hard-boiled hunk!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Every time you think about The Game or Big Hat, you lose The Game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rereading punk hazard and i think my all time favourite thing in one piece is people commenting on how the crew are even more insane than portrayed

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

it takes him a while to warm up to the crew but Law has been a great addition. It does feel a bit weird that we know him so well but his crew barely exists

excuse me did you forget about the BEAR????

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Bepo or Jean Bart?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
It's pretty crazy that we are past the half way point (by most people's reckoning) of the Wano arc and we still have 0 backstory on.. basically any of the Beast Pirate crew members. There's been stuff that's been teased such as King being apparently the last member of an "extinct" race, Queen having a background with connections to Judge and possibly Vegapunk.. Who's-who has some sort of previous history with Jinbei.. I'm sure i'm forgetting a bunch of that stuff.

It still feels like Oda is building up the tension and when he starts tying together and resolving some of these plot points it's going to be a real treat :)

**a thought that just came to my mind is that by way of comparison to the last couple major arcs in Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island, we got extensive background where the members of the Donquixote pirates and the Big Mom pirates were younger and just starting out in their careers as pirates. I'm sure we'll be getting some of that stuff with Kaido in particular in the future, but the relative absence of those kinds of narratives in this storyline may actually enhance some of the themes being explored by Oda here, namely that the Beast pirate crew have no real connections or loyalty to each other. So in a way, leaving out that kind of stuff (and the story is already crowded enough without jamming in a bunch more exposition) could serve to enhance the story in some respects

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 22, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Starsfan posted:

It's pretty crazy that we are past the half way point (by most people's reckoning) of the Wano arc and we still have 0 backstory on.. basically any of the Beast Pirate crew members. There's been stuff that's been teased such as King being apparently the last member of an "extinct" race, Queen having a background with connections to Judge and possibly Vegapunk.. Who's-who has some sort of previous history with Jinbei.. I'm sure i'm forgetting a bunch of that stuff.

Do you recall when the Queen background stuff was teased? I don't remember that.

I assume we'll hear more about Jinbei's history with Who's-Who when we switch back to their fight.

I figure we'll only find out King's race/background if his mask gets damaged or destroyed during a fight in this arc. Though I could also see Big Mom abducting him at the end of the arc and the mystery remaining a mystery for now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jassa posted:

Do you recall when the Queen background stuff was teased? I don't remember that.

I assume we'll hear more about Jinbei's history with Who's-Who when we switch back to their fight.

I figure we'll only find out King's race/background if his mask gets damaged or destroyed during a fight in this arc. Though I could also see Big Mom abducting him at the end of the arc and the mystery remaining a mystery for now.

He refers to Vinsmoke Judge in the "wink wink they have history" kind of way when he looks at Sanjis wanted poster. (995)

Im inclined to believe theres a connection because theres only a few people at the highest levels of science in OP, and they all seem to know, and even worked with, each other.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Speaking of King, any bets on what his face looks like? Oda loves him some face reveals for masked characters like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

Speaking of King, any bets on what his face looks like? Oda loves him some face reveals for masked characters like that.

It'll be normal but he just hides his face bc he's the only Tengu without a big nose.

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 22, 2021

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Marluxia posted:

excuse me did you forget about the BEAR????

who could forget Bepo? I'm just saying the heart pirates are barely in the story outside of Law

I'm hoping they get to do something cool during wano :pray:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
looking forward to this chapter revealing nothing about why oden appeared, because oda loving loves that style of cliffhanger

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd just like to say, we are... on the cruise! Oh yes. And I am on the manga cruise now, after many years of being an anime first One Piece watcher. I never thought it would happen, but the proof is in the pudding, and 0.7 chapters per episode or whatever is just not doing it. Even 1 chapter per episode had me putting good ol' OP on the backburner for years, I'm back on Punk Hazard at the moment.

So I watched 602 eps, and now I've been reading vol 68 and 69, way way better than that arc was coming across in the anime. Though not my fav arc per se. What's weird is it's not even for me "faster" time wise, for fiction and comics I subvocalize as they call it, not a speed reader. It's at least 18 mins for me for a chapter so far. But it feels a lot better than the anime had been for a while, I guess because I'm filling it in with my imagination, rather than me having to watch crazy slow reactions and other added slow things. Really just everything is slow at 1 chapter or less per ep.

I'm reading Viz's one at the moment, but I may give the color version a try once I get to the part where somebody applied Viz's translation to that, in mid-Dressrossa.

But anyhoo, this has me feeling excited to be a One Piece fan again. Here's to at least 300 chapters read this year.

On how to fix the anime, which has been discussed and I guess there's time slot and deals that are way above my paygrade. I say make each episode 9 minutes long, so we can double the pace, and fill the rest of the time-slot with the characters answering fan mail and doing omake or something. Anybody with two brain cells who gives a hoot could fix that train, those Toei maniacs blew it all up! drat YOU TOEI! drat YOOOOOU.

Oda is cool though. I also went back and read a bit more of the SBS and whatnot, man he's funny.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He refers to Vinsmoke Judge in the "wink wink they have history" kind of way when he looks at Sanjis wanted poster. (995)

Im inclined to believe theres a connection because theres only a few people at the highest levels of science in OP, and they all seem to know, and even worked with, each other.

It doesnt have to mean theres any sort of connection outside of the professional connection. Its not strange that Chopper knew who Dr Hogback was

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are the games that aren't Pirate Warriors worth looking into? i feel like goofy open world pirate adventure should be an easy no brainer

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Len posted:

Are the games that aren't Pirate Warriors worth looking into? i feel like goofy open world pirate adventure should be an easy no brainer

no, just play wind waker

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Len posted:

I mean they're bigger than drat near everything else so going through is always an option

Are the movies with checking out?

Movie 2 (Clockwork Island Adventure) is a must, and the Dance Carnival short is a major must. And listening to every anime OP and ED many a time is key as well.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
really looking forward to the chap

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Meme Emulator posted:

It doesnt have to mean theres any sort of connection outside of the professional connection. Its not strange that Chopper knew who Dr Hogback was

Yeah, it doesn't necessarily mean that, but through Caesar, the SMILEs, and queen being a (bio)weapon maker and a Yonko commander, Im suspecting hes privy to a lot more.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

really looking forward to the chap

:same:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Libra posted:

As much as it's easy to think Law is a stoic badass super star, let's not forget that he was also a giant fanboy of Germa 66 and was able to explain Sanji's powers to him during his first fight as Stealth Black.

Also the fact that right before the timeskip he was resting against a sleeping Bepo like he was a giant pillow.

Also the time he got really upset when he learned ninjas don't say "Nin Nin" when they run.

Also the time the Straw Hats were talking about breakfast and he awkwardly informed them he doesn't want any bread.

Law's a huge dweeb, you're all getting scammed!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

On how to fix the anime, which has been discussed and I guess there's time slot and deals that are way above my paygrade. I say make each episode 9 minutes long, so we can double the pace, and fill the rest of the time-slot with the characters answering fan mail and doing omake or something. Anybody with two brain cells who gives a hoot could fix that train, those Toei maniacs blew it all up! drat YOU TOEI! drat YOOOOOU.

It turns out people react kinda horribly when they do something along these lines, iirc that’s what happened around Ennies Lobby (only they were entire episodes of shorts) and it was largely what contributed to a lack of filler arcs from that point going forward. Shame, that’s where we got the short of Luffy and Zoro as old ladies doing Osakan/Bronx accents.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Everything about the OP anime makes sense when you realize that until very recently, any anime that was an adaptation of a source material (Manga, LN, etc) was basically just an advertisement for that source material. The OP anime does exactly what it's supposed to do, sell volumes of the Manga.

It used to be that the only way an anime would be truly good was if it was an original anime (Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.). That's been changing in recent years though, see shows like AoT and MHA being made in smaller seasons with an actual budget.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

Everything about the OP anime makes sense when you realize that until very recently, any anime that was an adaptation of a source material (Manga, LN, etc) was basically just an advertisement for that source material. The OP anime does exactly what it's supposed to do, sell volumes of the Manga.

It used to be that the only way an anime would be truly good was if it was an original anime (Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.). That's been changing in recent years though, see shows like AoT and MHA being made in smaller seasons with an actual budget.

The OP anime since Marineford or so has been unusually bad even by the standards of old-school long-running shonen anime, though, because other long-running shonen anime were capable of pausing for filler arcs instead of just stretching every chapter into a full episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

One Piece anime fans, the one who didn't see any issues with it during years of total garbage, are the least discerning people on earth, and if it switched to a seasonal format and massively upped the quality they'd be screaming until they were blue in the face to get their weekly fix back.