Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

They retroactively made Terry a literal clone of Bruce Wayne in the comics and I think one of the weird serial cartoons that only got like 1 season on the WB, so just hold Batman Beyond in its own little cradle of canon safely from the other bad Batmans.

Oh I know. But as a True Bantam Fan I can selectively ignore stupid canon. Terry rules and Bruce is dumb and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Inspector Hound posted:

Double feature with Boss Level

Ooh, thanks for mentioning this! I'm always on the hunt for media involving time loops, and- oh. Mel Gibson. >:| I also have no idea who Frank Grillo is, but I'll check this out regardless, it sounds fun.

cubicle gangster posted:

3 times since it came out my fiancee asks me to delete her save on hohokum so she can play it over, she beats it over a couple weeks of 15-20 min sessions, and that's it. No other games, no mobile games, just not at all interested in finding out if there's anything else she may also like.
We are about to hit the 4th cycle, downloaded it to the ps5 for her last night.

Oh man, I loving loved Hohokum. It's been years since I've poked at that game, maybe I'll do so later this week. Proteus too!

It's only on Steam and Switch at the moment, but the creators of Hohokum have a new game out, maybe she'll like that too?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/951750/I_Am_Dead/

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 20, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does SOR4 have a remix of Dreamer because otherwise I don't know if it can top the list of best SOR soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlb8UYuSIp8

Bust Rodd posted:

They retroactively made Terry a literal clone of Bruce Wayne in the comics and I think one of the weird serial cartoons that only got like 1 season on the WB, so just hold Batman Beyond in its own little cradle of canon safely from the other bad Batmans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This should be the OP of this forum

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does SOR4 have a remix of Dreamer because otherwise I don't know if it can top the list of best SOR soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlb8UYuSIp8

Dreamer is referenced at the beginning of the Rising Up elevator run, which is coincidentally the best track in SOR4. Dreamer is also what plays in this section if you select the Retro Soundtrack option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwWUPCS-sgY

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Supposedly the most complicated animal action sequence ever filmed (outside of a French arthouse movie about dogs taking over the world)

White God is Hungarian. And it is very good if hard to watch. Gut puncher (and not really a "does the dog die" tear-jerker way.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The John Wick lore is nonsense but the movies are all fun to watch. JW3 is worth it for Marc Dacascos and also because it gives Lance Reddick something to do

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

VideoGames posted:

So I just spent the last couple of days (minus streaming) learning how to edit video. :)

I made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg8rYlDRMvw

I hgope you enjoy!

heal veeg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fuckin LMAO

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

So I just spent the last couple of days (minus streaming) learning how to edit video. :)

I made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg8rYlDRMvw

I hgope you enjoy!

This is amazing :D

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Big news if you missed it (like I did): the wishlist feature is back on the browser version of the PSN store.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I started Sekiro. Havent had much time with it so only really got through the prologue but seems pretty cool I guess :smuggo:

Any hot tips for newbie shinobi?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn posted:

I started Sekiro. Havent had much time with it so only really got through the prologue but seems pretty cool I guess :smuggo:

no hesitation!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

there's a dude just to the right of your little hut you can practice moves on, worth using

buy as many Spirit Emblems early on as you can cos they go up in price later

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Never stop attacking. There is no stamina, the only thing you ever have to worry about is taking damage. The game really, really wants you to be aggressive. Blocking in fact makes your posture recover faster, not slower, so blocking also has far fewer downsides than you are probably used to.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Picked up Streets of rage 4 on sale and it's really fun.

Really not used to playing games with almost no defensive options in tyool 2021 though. I guess the defense special is good, but I find myself really wishing for a dodge or block or something. it feels a little cheap when you are locked into a combo and an enemy is able to wind up and land a hit mid combo with nothing I can do about it. I know it's true to the original game but I wouldn't have minded them adding a few more moves.

Still, very cool game though. it's actually sort of tough. Especially since I played the first 6 levels as blaze before realizing she's terrible lol. The new girl they added is super powerful.

A lot of SoR4's depth is in learning where your iframes are, and managing the mob such that you don't need to rely on them as much. It's weird to not have direct defensive options at first, but once you get the hang of it you feel really badass using offense as your defense. Tips for most characters: plenty of iframes to be found in neutral special, neutral jump, and throwing enemies behind you. Also avoid locking yourself into combos until you're ready, poking with jabs to stunlock enemies is a good crowd control maneuver. Once you have 2+ enemies vulnerable in front of you and the coast is clear you can unleash a combo. And HMU if you want to co-op, it's way fun.

Edit, one last tip: pay attention to that combo counter, it's not just for experts. Points give you lives and combos give you points, so it's an important tactic for surviving a stage.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s not 100% accurate to say “never stop attacking”, you still have to do the brawler thing where sometimes it’s their turn to attack and your turn to respond. But the way you respond is to deflect or block, dodging around and trying to make them miss you doesn’t work nearly as well as in other From games. The evade button is for certain moves where it’s the only play that’s intended to work; most of the rest of time you should be in their face trading blows.

There are some enemies where you can kill them just by deflecting all their attacks until they blow their own posture bar and give you an opening.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I mean, you obviously shouldn't be attacking literally at all times, but compared to other From games, it's nearly always much more beneficial for you to keep up the pressure than to pull back and react. Enemies will capitalize on it if you let them dictate the pace of the fight, while keeping the pressure up forces them to keep up with yours and damages their posture even when they block, which makes getting to the next deathblow that much faster. Posture damage is usually much more important than health damage as well, so being as aggressive as you can safely be is nearly always the better idea than being reactive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The key to gitting gud at Streets of Rage 4 is to master enemy stacking and staggers. Basically you want to induce all the bad guys to stack up on the same plane so that you can beat them all down without getting counterpoked yourself. That means learning their movement patterns and speed so that you can get them all to come at you in a single wave. The other aspect that goes hand in hand with this is staggering. If you let your basic light combo drop early, you can pick it back up again while enemies are still in a hitstun state, which opens up more combo damage without the chance of them breaking out of it. This is incidentally why Blaze is one of the best characters in SOR4, because she has a really good 3-hit stagger and a ton of combo routes that all do excellent damage. Her forward special has amazing range and her Blitz attack can combo OTG, good defensive options with her air special as well. Blaze can do it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u7CXLWbT7w

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was at the very end of my first SoR4 playthrough when my PS4 died. I never felt like playing again even though I liked it but I’m tempted to pick it back up on the 5. The music is so good. Have they added/ updated anything?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah there was a significant balance patch, exquisite tea can probably give you the details but the headline is Axel got majorly buffed. He's a lot more fun now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dotemu have said that the SOR4 team is working on something but nothing has been officially announced yet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Good sekiro tips, thanks. I managed to kill the guy in the prologue that you have to deathblow twice without getting hit, I think. Felt pretty good. Combat is so fast that its hard to get an idea of what's going on atm. Cant wait to get more into it tomorrow

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Good job. If you found that guy easy to handle, I think the game will be a good fit for you. I had to try it five or six times before I finally got the hang of how to approach that fight.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

*Buy firecrackers from the Crow Mob in the first area after the prologue.

*A blind woman is also near there and will give you a bell if you pretend to be her son. This bell can be used at the shrine in the Idol Carver's house to access an optional area that's a bit harder, but there are good items that way.

*As soon as you get a chance purchase the mikiri skill in the skill menu. Having this skill automatically changes a neutral press of the dodge button from "step forward" to "step forward and stomp on enemy's weapon". Besides parry timing it is the most essential skill in the game.

Feel free to stop by the sekiro thread, I put lots of tips into the OP and everyone loves to help a shinoobie.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860077&pagenumber=1

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Ugh. So I'm not big on racing games, but the PS4 Pro I bought came with a Logitech G29 wheel + pedals. I figured I'd sell it off to help defray some of the cost and come out with a pretty cheap Pro setup.

I wasn't getting any bites locally (likely because I didn't have the optional shifter), so when I saw a cheap shifter come up for sale (AU$30) I bought it to bundle with the wheel/pedals and hopefully move it along quickly. I booted up GT6 to confirm the shifter was working last night and damnit if it didn't actually make it kinda fun.

Kind of afraid to try Farpoint now, got the stupid gun accessory along with this thing that I was also planning to sell...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

*Buy firecrackers from the Crow Mob in the first area after the prologue.

*A blind woman is also near there and will give you a bell if you pretend to be her son. This bell can be used at the shrine in the Idol Carver's house to access an optional area that's a bit harder, but there are good items that way.

*As soon as you get a chance purchase the mikiri skill in the skill menu. Having this skill automatically changes a neutral press of the dodge button from "step forward" to "step forward and stomp on enemy's weapon". Besides parry timing it is the most essential skill in the game.

Feel free to stop by the sekiro thread, I put lots of tips into the OP and everyone loves to help a shinoobie.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860077&pagenumber=1

I managed to sneak in another half hour or so of sekiro before dinner and I managed to kill another two-deathblow general guy although he took a few tries. He dropped a gourd seed and another thing. Do gourd seeds always drop from tough enemies or are they sometimes found on the ground?

I can tell already that the addition of a third defensive option with the jump is gonna gently caress me up. Souls games you can really just get by with just reflex dodging, but having to decide if I need to parry, dodge, or jump on reflex is gonna be tough.

Fighting regular mooks feels so good tho. Cut cut parry cut dead next

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I managed to sneak in another half hour or so of sekiro before dinner and I managed to kill another two-deathblow general guy although he took a few tries. He dropped a gourd seed and another thing. Do gourd seeds always drop from tough enemies or are they sometimes found on the ground?

I can tell already that the addition of a third defensive option with the jump is gonna gently caress me up. Souls games you can really just get by with just reflex dodging, but having to decide if I need to parry, dodge, or jump on reflex is gonna be tough.

Fighting regular mooks feels so good tho. Cut cut parry cut dead next

Gourd Seeds and Memories are dropped by specific enemies chosen by the devs. No rng or anything.

Yeah, you're gonna want to prioritize jump over dodge in most situations. Jumping is often just a straight up jump to avoid a sweep and following it up with goombastomping the enemy. Dodge is not useful in most battles so you should avoid the BloodSouls instinct to do it alot. The lone exception is neutral dodge mikiri, which is an essential technique.

So basically, when the perilous kanji comes up:

if it's a perilous thrust, dodge/mikiri right into it

if it's a perilous sweep, jump straight up over it

if it's a perilous grab, dodge/sprint backwards away from it

The alternative is to get a perfect parry against those perilous moves, but if you miss the perfect parry you get owned.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gourd seeds can occasionally be found in chests and such, but sometimes they're also on minibosses (if it has more than one deathblow pip, it counts as a miniboss.) Memories are only obtained from boss fights. Beads can also be found in the world, there are a few hidden ones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

JW3 is OOOOOO-Kay, merely “pretty good”. It has a couple of truly insane action sequences but ultimately is dragged into a puddle of bad lore and weird globe-trotting nonsense and even though the fights are extremely high quality John’s style morphs from the graceful and minimal gun kata of the first film to basically Black Widow style “endless cascade of flips and rolls”. Special shout-out to Halle Berry and her killer shepherds, that action scene is already legendary. Supposedly the most complicated animal action sequence ever filmed (outside of a French arthouse movie about dogs taking over the world), and Berry had to live in a hotel room with the dogs for 6 weeks to properly train and bond with them.

Watch John Wick if you live violence, it’s good.

JW3 also has an amazing amount of crotch destruction. Just dudes getting bitten and shot in the junk all over the place.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Had my music on shuffle and this came on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatSWEDUNe8

Best Spider-Man theme ever, I'll fight you.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

fridge corn posted:

Hold block a lot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stare-Out posted:

Had my music on shuffle and this came on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatSWEDUNe8

Best Spider-Man theme ever, I'll fight you.

Ok

The best spiderman theme is the cover of the TV theme Michael Bublé did for one of the Raimi movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDBx6ZUBo4E

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Still thinking about how the PlayStation 3 and Spider-Man used the same font...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trophy for finishing the PS3 area of Astro's Playroom is called 'With great power...'

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Vikar Jerome posted:

when they can figure out the rights issues :negative: (or pull out the n64 and snipe a cheap copy on ebay)

Rights are easy, but it was a N64 only game and there's no clear sign anybody has a copy of the original source code which makes things complicated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rocket Pan posted:

Rights are easy, but it was a N64 only game and there's no clear sign anybody has a copy of the original source code which makes things complicated.

You worked on the Turok remasters right?
I noticed in the Hive of the Mantids stage in 2 there were some items in weird impossible to get areas like just before the death planes in bottomless pits or on a super high ceiling and wondered if there was any reason for that or it was just a weird bug? Didn't see that in any other stages.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Playing Cherry in SoR4 almost feels like cheating.

Game so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Sakurazuka posted:

You worked on the Turok remasters right?
I noticed in the Hive of the Mantids stage in 2 there were some items in weird impossible to get areas like just before the death planes in bottomless pits or on a super high ceiling and wondered if there was any reason for that or it was just a weird bug? Didn't see that in any other stages.

Indeed.
As far as we can tell, they were always there (at least from the assets we were handed). It's possible they were ordinally obscured by the draw distance so nobody really noticed while the levels were designed, or something in the code was manually removing them. By the time we noticed, we weren't exactly in a hurry to go in and remove them given the volatility of our editing tools.