Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It's an efficiency rating. In turn, low efficiency ratings generally mean lower quality (at least up to gold, beyond gold it rarely matters).
I guess my emphasis wouldn't be on the efficiency per se, but the fact that manufacturer's don't cut corners for units that are rated for the higher efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
USA, no Microcenter (that I know of, anyway).

I was previously using an older but still somewhat OTT gaming rig I bought off of somebody else before it blew up. :( I'm largely ignorant of the finer details of pretty much all of this stuff, but I think I have an okay handle on things? Usage is 1080/60 single monitor, primarily gaming and maybe some streaming/v-tuber stuff down the road. No overclocking or anything extra. The current plan is to just pay AVA to build a new machine because to hell with the endless loving around with hardware, but I'm not sure if that's strictly a good idea/economically sound. Edit: I've been straight-up told by my dad he will pay the overhead to get it pre-made. v:shobon:v

This is roughly what I'm looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($178.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1 TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1 TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($132.08 @ Amazon)
Total: $1369.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-19 19:37 EDT-0400

Note: The 3 HDDs are just to get a sense of the power consumption/case requirements. I've got a bunch of old drives I want to migrate. Similarly the video card I'm salvaging from the previous machine.

Judging from some other recent posts I've picked a good CPU, cooler, PSU, and case. I'm infinitely less sure about the mobo and RAM so if anyone has specific advice re: those I'm happy to hear it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 20, 2021

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Old man rant:

Why is it so hard to find cases without windows these days?

I'm not saying they aren't cool for boutiquey custom loop show-off fun builds that people do as a hobby; I get why that's cool.

But how has it become "there's only one case at MicroCenter without a window"? In many situations it's just light pollution and there's really nothing exciting to look at anyway.

Here's some of my current home builds, none of which I could see myself wanting a windowed case on:

- Main workstation and gaming PC. It's under a desk and off to the side anyway and sans-window looks sleeker to me.

- HTPC. Yeah, I definitely don't want blinking lights here. That's just distracting.

- Fileserver. Because copious amounts of sata cables are so pretty? Need to admire the network cards?

I'm looking to pick up some parts for a cheap Valheim server build this weekend and all the drat budget cases now have plastic windows, like I really need a bunch of run-of-the-mill cheap parts on display for some reason. I just want something that will disappear in the corner like basic cases used to.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 20, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As someone who is trying to flee away from a dumb, overly-showy case that I find questionably designed to boot...I feel you. :v:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fractal.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Yeah. I like Fractal. Main workstation mentioned above is in a Define R6 & previous build was in an R5. HTPC is some reasonable older Corsair number, fileserver is in a beloved and ancient ultra-tall chieftec case with a ton of drive bays.

Of course, while Fractal does mercifully sell cases with no-window options, my local MicroCenter carries a total of six of their models, all with tempered glass (one is tinted tempered glass, though!).

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

admiraldennis posted:

Old man rant:

I'm not saying they aren't cool for boutiquey custom loop show-off fun builds that people do as a hobby; I get why that's cool.

But how has it become "there's only one case at MicroCenter without a window"? In many situations it's just light pollution and there's really nothing exciting to look at anyway.

Here's some of my current home builds, none of which I could see myself wanting a windowed case on:

- Main workstation and gaming PC. It's under a desk and off to the side anyway and sans-window looks sleeker to me.

- HTPC. Yeah, I definitely don't want blinking lights here. That's just distracting.

- Fileserver. Because copious amounts of sata cables are so pretty? Need to admire the network cards?

I'm looking to pick up some parts for a cheap Valheim server build this weekend and all the drat budget cases now have plastic windows, like I really need a bunch of run-of-the-mill cheap parts on display for some reason. I just want something that will disappear in the corner like basic cases used to.

They totally exist, just shop brands that feature silence.

Fractal Design Define R5 - Mid Tower Computer Case - ATX - Optimized for High Airflow and Silent - 2X Dynamix GP-14 140mm Silent Fans Included - Water-cooling Ready - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2Z11QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_23SVXRJ54J96G7F2344G

be quiet! Pure Base 600 Black, BG021, Mid-Tower ATX, 2 Pre-Installed Fans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7PGIPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_53ZT00J44W5F0DZRYK00

I used to hate lights but my wife wanted some glowing fans and then I got jealous lol.

RGB has def improved over the years.

In have a soft dim blue on my case lights and its stunning down there.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Just point the side panel towards the wall cover it with tape. :v:

Online, the cheaper cases seem to come in metal side panels. I'm really leaning towards a hinged side panel though. Regrettably, those all seem to be $200 CAD.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Butterfly Valley posted:

At least you have the 2060, that's enough GPU to be going on with for the time being. Also there's no such thing as a 6GB version of the 3060, there's only a 12GB version and then the 3060ti which has 8GB.

yeah, I got my numbers flipped. Misread the 2060 at 599€ for a 3060.
I also screwed up my double-take on the price for the 2060 (when I actually read it correctly as a 2060).

So the 2060 I bought for 380 last year is now almost twice as expensive. :cripes:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Any recommendations for 120mm rgb case fans? Trying to hit the sweet spot between cost and quality.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I also screwed up my double-take on the price for the 2060 (when I actually read it correctly as a 2060).

So the 2060 I bought for 380 last year is now almost twice as expensive. :cripes:

I see prices on eBay for three times what I paid for my 5700XT. I need it but I’m not sure why I don’t just camp a discord, grab a 3070, and then sell my 5700 to some weirdo online when the 3070 arrives.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The Swedish Amazon site has sellers trying to scalp GTX 1050s, 1650s and 1660s for €500 - €1000 right now, and on that same site my 5700XT is selling for about 4x what I paid for it in late 2019... :psyduck:

I guess my ITX PC is going to be stuck with its GTX 960 2GB for a bit longer :(

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Any recommendations for 120mm rgb case fans? Trying to hit the sweet spot between cost and quality.

I tend to recommend people try to stick to a single rgb ecosystem whatever they go with.

Corsair has some nice looking fans.

These are really nice looking and on sale, they have 16 LEDs
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-LL120-120mm-Light-Lighting/dp/B075VGN4M1

These are more expensive and have 34 LEDs each
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-LL120-120mm-Light-Lighting/dp/B075VGN4M1

Thermaltake's fans tend to go on sale for like practically half off but im not seeing anything right now.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Thermaltake/RiingRGBFan_Fan/page/F4B96218-862D-45EB-A572-881B7668CD35

Speaking of Corsair

:okpos:icue 4 came out like 4 days ago:okpos:
Introducing the new CORSAIR iCUE (v4.X) - Megathread
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=1085979

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tuyop posted:

I see prices on eBay for three times what I paid for my 5700XT. I need it but I’m not sure why I don’t just camp a discord, grab a 3070, and then sell my 5700 to some weirdo online when the 3070 arrives.

It's actually really hard to just camp anywhere and actually get a card. I've been trying to get a 3070 at <$700 (so already insane scalper prices) for over a month and not having any luck, even with physically showing up at stores right after trucks arrive.

Not saying you shouldn't try, but don't expect to have awesome luck.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm currently toying with the idea of going in for a VR headset so I can play flight simulators like DCS in VR. Specifically considering an HP Reverb G2. My current rig is i7 8700K and i think that's fine for the task, but I'm wondering if replacing the 1080 Ti is something I should consider or considering the prices of cards at the moment should I settle for what I have for the time being?

Outside of VR the computer is still handling everything I've thrown at it so I think if the 1080Ti can drive the Reverb G2 reliably then I don't feel that inclined to update.

You really want to get a verification for this or find recommended specs for running DCS World with the Reverb G2. For me DCS has definitely been the toughest VR load to handle. Flight simulators are generally resource hogs and Eagle Dynamics may be a too small outfit to optimize it well.

I have i5-3550K, GTX 1660 and Oculus Quest 2, usually use it with Virtual Desktop. With DCS this setup managed maybe 30FPS. I haven't done much work yet to tinker with settings to improve it. But this setup runs pretty much any other games just fine. With Elite: Dangerous I haven't noticed any frame rate issues, except maybe on planet surfaces, but that may be just the bumpy ride. Star Wars: Squadrons also seemed to run with my limited testing, with default settings it seemed to even run better than with my 1440p144 monitor.

There are three sources you could try for better information. Our own DCS World megathread, DCS World: This 2080Ti might finally let me hit 50 FPS!, the title of which may already tell you all you need. The general VR megathread. And the Eagle Dynamics VR forum.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

admiraldennis posted:

Old man rant:

A tinted glass window goes a long way, here. Combine that with choosing parts that either don't illuminate or allow you to bypass it, a tinted window on a case becomes a shiny panel. Some windowed cases even have symmetric side panels, allowing you to place the window on the less-visible side of the case (or simply the backside, which probably won't be letting a whole lot of light through.)

I know what you're getting at, though, the window thing has become pretty pervasive, and everybody has their own personal tipping point on how ridiculous they'll allow their case to look in a room. It narrows down your choices.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 20, 2021

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
I think windowless cases will make a gradual comeback as more companies follow Corsair and Fractal onto the maximum airflow train. Even Cooler Master made a move in that direction with the NR200.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can't have rgb without glass. Maybe someone'll come up with a glass panel with fan mounts though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I mean if you filter pc part picker for cases with no windows there are 300+ results. Lots of corsairs, fractals, cooler masters, and even some phanteks and nzxt's with no windows.

It's just that most of the stuff that gets posted here and is popular has windows because people like RGB these days and showing off their builds.

And if you go small form factor, there are many specialized cases without windows.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

The best SFF cases are really just tiny ventilated boxes

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Paradoxish posted:

It's actually really hard to just camp anywhere and actually get a card. I've been trying to get a 3070 at <$700 (so already insane scalper prices) for over a month and not having any luck, even with physically showing up at stores right after trucks arrive.

Not saying you shouldn't try, but don't expect to have awesome luck.

Been at it over a month with no luck. You need a lot of time to sit around waiting for drops. Not like I can troll best buy on my phone at work.

Funny enough managed to snag a ps5 for a friend though. So atleast there's a bit of hope.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
So I'm building a PC based on my last post here and I've run into an issue with installing the CPU cooler (Ryzen 5 3600 stock). Apparently the motherboard (ASRock AB350M Pro4) is an Amazon refurb and despite being "inspected by Amazon" did not come with the mounting brackets or backplate for the cooler! Not something I was aware I'd need, since the installation instructions for AM4 socket Ryzens have an option for bracketless coolers, but we're here now. Got a freefloating cooler on top of a CPU that I can't screw in. Mobo was a gift, so contacting a vendor for a bracket is out. I need a cooler (with brackets and backboard) and probably some new thermal paste. Are there any decent aftermarket options that won't break my bank?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

zgrowler2 posted:

So I'm building a PC based on my last post here and I've run into an issue with installing the CPU cooler (Ryzen 5 3600 stock). Apparently the motherboard (ASRock AB350M Pro4) is an Amazon refurb and despite being "inspected by Amazon" did not come with the mounting brackets or backplate for the cooler! Not something I was aware I'd need, since the installation instructions for AM4 socket Ryzens have an option for bracketless coolers, but we're here now. Got a freefloating cooler on top of a CPU that I can't screw in. Mobo was a gift, so contacting a vendor for a bracket is out. I need a cooler (with brackets and backboard) and probably some new thermal paste. Are there any decent aftermarket options that won't break my bank?

Scythe Mugen or Fuma, or Arctic Esports 34 Duo are all solid options

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Scmg-5100-Computer-Cooling-Black/dp/B06ZYB8K77
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Fuma-Heatsink-Twin-Tower-Design/dp/B07QMK5R45
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MC8CRVZ

EDIT the Scythes are probably easier to install for what it's worth

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2021

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

You're still going to need an AM4 backplate, since pretty much all aftermarket coolers use the one that comes with the motherboard.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It looks like the Scythe comes with an AM4 backplate in the pictures but just be sure if you go that route. My Coolermaster one did as well.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Can't have rgb without glass. Maybe someone'll come up with a glass panel with fan mounts though.

Like my PC case back in 2004/2005, but with glass instead of plastic for the sidepanel :D

zgrowler2 posted:

Would it not be enough to just buy an AM4 backplate from someplace like Amazon?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

My first attempt at a build in 9 years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($218.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Red Devil Video Card ($604.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.84 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1604.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-20 19:27 EDT-0400

Any criticisms welcome. I'm a little iffy on the GPU, but I don't feel like waiting for bitcoin to die.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So I have an AIO 240mm watercooler for my CPU, 3 120mm intake fans on the front (just the bog standard ones that come with the TD500 case) and a 120mm exhaust fan in the back. What else can I do for my temps? I don’t have to fix them but I’m bored and that’s been my PC building project since actual upgrades are basically unobtainable.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Shaddak posted:

My first attempt at a build in 9 years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($218.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Red Devil Video Card ($604.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 on @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.84 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1604.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-20 19:27 EDT-0400

Any criticisms welcome. I'm a little iffy on the GPU, but I don't feel like waiting for bitcoin to die.

That case is huge, are you sure you want a full tower? Also, do you really need an optical drive? I'd go a little bigger on the PSU, maybe 650W, in case you want to upgrade video card / proc in a few years

Don't buy Windows, go to SAmart and get a legit key for $15

Thread-favorite Western Digital SN550 NVMe drive is about $50 less than what you've got picked out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

This is roughly what I'm looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($178.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($132.08 @ Amazon)
Total: $1369.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-19 19:37 EDT-0400

Note: The 3 HDDs are just to get a sense of the power consumption/case requirements. I've got a bunch of old drives I want to migrate. Similarly the video card I'm salvaging from the previous machine.

Judging from some other recent posts I've picked a good CPU, cooler, PSU, and case. I'm infinitely less sure about the mobo and RAM so if anyone has specific advice re: those I'm happy to hear it.

No comments on this?

I've been second-guessing the mobo and RAM picks and if I can sort those out I can go ahead and push the button. Is 32 gig ultimately overkill, even if I do end up doing some casual video editing/production work down the line?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

CloFan posted:

That case is huge, are you sure you want a full tower? Also, do you really need an optical drive? I'd go a little bigger on the PSU, maybe 650W, in case you want to upgrade video card / proc in a few years

Don't buy Windows, go to SAmart and get a legit key for $15

Thread-favorite Western Digital SN550 NVMe drive is about $50 less than what you've got picked out.

I probably don't need a full tower, I just like having the extra room. As for the optical drive, I watch all of my movie collection through my computer (as I don't have a tv). I will look into that hd, though.

What's the deal with buying just the windows key?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The motherboard is fine, you’ve got two M.2 spots if you want another drive down the line and it’s not a cheap piece of crap. 32GB is also fine as long as you’re getting memory that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, 16 GB is the minimum but there’s new consoles coming out and it’ll give you breathing room if there’s a bad port. Pre-patch HZD had me over 16 (I was at like 22GB system memory used) so I’d expect 32 to actually start getting gaming use soon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The motherboard is fine, you’ve got two M.2 spots if you want another drive down the line and it’s not a cheap piece of crap. 32GB is also fine as long as you’re getting memory that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, 16 GB is the minimum but there’s new consoles coming out and it’ll give you breathing room if there’s a bad port. Pre-patch HZD had me over 16 (I was at like 22GB system memory used) so I’d expect 32 to actually start getting gaming use soon.

Gotcha. 32 it is, then.

As for the motherboard, as I was doing some basic research I came across a weird comment, someone claiming its power design (or somesuch) burns out PSUs, but I'm guessing that's pure bullshit? I mean it was literally some rando on the Tom's Hardware review comments, with no follow-up or anything. But given what may have killed my previous machine was the mobo eating the CPU (the ASUS X99 Deluxe II seems to be infamous for doing that from what I could dig up) I'm a little extra paranoid about making sure I buy a board that isn't gonna gently caress me over down the line. :ohdear:

Otherwise, yeah, the extra M.2 slot was part of the plan. I'm gonna transplant the one from the old machine along with all the other drives.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

32GB is also fine as long as you’re getting memory that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, 16 GB is the minimum but there’s new consoles coming out and it’ll give you breathing room if there’s a bad port. Pre-patch HZD had me over 16 (I was at like 22GB system memory used) so I’d expect 32 to actually start getting gaming use soon.

The new consoles are already out. And the Series S has 10GB of RAM. And wasn't HZD legit a total memory leak?

I do agree with you 32GB is fine if it's in the budget, but it's definitely not necessary for gaming right now and probably not *soon*. BUT, ram is at a pretty good price point these days.

By the time games/systems are fully utilizing 16GB+ regularly, DDR5 will be the norm imo.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 21, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The new consoles are already out. And the Series S has 10GB of RAM. And wasn't HZD legit a total memory leak?

I do agree with you 32GB is fine if it's in the budget, but it's definitely not necessary for gaming right now and probably not *soon*. BUT, ram is at a pretty good price point these days.

By the time games/systems are fully utilizing 16GB+ regularly, DDR5 will be the norm imo.

:lmao: completely forgot they were actually out since they’re so hard to find.

HZD was part possible memory leak and also some insane RAM allocation. If a botched PS4 port can crack the 16GB barrier I have no doubt a sloppy current gen port can too.

But yeah, RAM is relatively cheap now. Get while the getting’s good just in case the prices go bonkers again.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So I have an AIO 240mm watercooler for my CPU, 3 120mm intake fans on the front (just the bog standard ones that come with the TD500 case) and a 120mm exhaust fan in the back. What else can I do for my temps? I don’t have to fix them but I’m bored and that’s been my PC building project since actual upgrades are basically unobtainable.

What are your temps now? I don’t see you getting too much lower without some significant changes and investment, unless you hosed something up in the initial build.

At the higher end, cooling can be a very diminishing returns game when it comes to air.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What are your temps now? I don’t see you getting too much lower without some significant changes and investment, unless you hosed something up in the initial build.

At the higher end, cooling can be a very diminishing returns game when it comes to air.

GPU is a 3060Ti Founder’s Edition, 58-60 under load while OC’d, CPU is a 10900KF OC’d to 5.1GHz that sits at 50-55 degrees during gameplay and will hit about 82-86 if I put it through cinebench. I think I may be at the point where I can’t really up the cooling but I’m open to ideas. Or ideas for other things to do to my computer. Otherwise it’s just wrapping up the cable management and putting in RGB and a little disco ball and I’m done.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GPU is a 3060Ti Founder’s Edition, 58-60 under load while OC’d, CPU is a 10900KF OC’d to 5.1GHz that sits at 50-55 degrees during gameplay and will hit about 82-86 if I put it through cinebench. I think I may be at the point where I can’t really up the cooling but I’m open to ideas. Or ideas for other things to do to my computer. Otherwise it’s just wrapping up the cable management and putting in RGB and a little disco ball and I’m done.

Those are ridiculously good temps, especially with both parts OC’d. Cinebench temps don’t really matter because it’s not real world for your use here.

Under 60C you’re no where near any thermal throttling, and dropping the temps lower won’t squeeze out any additional performance, so it’s mostly pointless. If stability isn’t an issue, you even have plenty of cooling headroom to push additional OC.

The only reason I’d consider loving with the cooling is if you have temp issues on anything else like ram, which is unlikely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Those are ridiculously good temps, especially with both parts OC’d. Cinebench temps don’t really matter because it’s not real world for your use here.

Under 60C you’re no where near any thermal throttling, and dropping the temps lower won’t squeeze out any additional performance, so it’s mostly pointless. If stability isn’t an issue, you even have plenty of cooling headroom to push additional OC.

The only reason I’d consider loving with the cooling is if you have temp issues on anything else like ram, which is unlikely.

I kind of figured, between the AIO and the card being semi-blower most of the heat is directed straight out of the case and I set very aggressive (belligerent, even!) fan curves. Temps are/were just the one thing I have left where I can dick around and have objective results, and I love seeing how far I can push stuff. I guess I’ll just fix up my cables and do my RGB, thanks. Maybe when computer part prices are sane again I’ll go into business building bespoke custom stuff as a hobby.

E:Time spy stress test has me holding steady at 56 degrees GPU and 48 degrees CPU, I don’t think I’m improving on this. I’ll probably make a benchmarking/dumb optimizing thread here in the next few days though, I can’t be the only one who thinks this stuff is weirdly fun.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Shaddak posted:

I probably don't need a full tower, I just like having the extra room. As for the optical drive, I watch all of my movie collection through my computer (as I don't have a tv). I will look into that hd, though.

What's the deal with buying just the windows key?

FWIW, I built my last main system in 2016 with an optical drive for "I'll totally watch movies while I game" and used that maybe three times until my recent new build a month ago, which was entirely without an optical drive and it's absolutely worth the space and cost and hassle savings. Get a USB optical drive for the times when you need one, and otherwise enjoy an easier build and more efficient case.