Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

You also have stuff like Ao3 becoming a centre for a lot of fanfiction, and their no limit rules leading to more people into regular FF being exposed to the underbelly of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

hrm, yes, i can believe that even today animated animal loving is considered avant garde.

For too long we've denied the reality that furries are on the bleeding edge of every revolution

BFC posted:

I don't think that people who just want to do Zuko again understand that a lot of his arc is necessary, and really the bare minimum, for a truly satisfying redemption.

Yeah, you could really tell they were crunching for space by the end of season 3 and had to rush out a few final "bonding" episodes between Zuko and Aang, Sokka, and Katra (while taking a dump on poor Toph's unresolved angst :shepface:.) If anything, it really needed another half or full season to feel truly organic and like he'd finally overcome the prior 2.5 seasons of hunting and betraying them.

At least we got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voP9um7yi1Y

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It is a shame that bloodbending was set up to be this powerful yet morally gray ability that Katara only uses once after its introductory episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It is a shame that bloodbending was set up to be this powerful yet morally gray ability that Katara only uses once after its introductory episode.

*Eyes Korra* Er, yes. Once.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is Korra good?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yes and... err no.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's things to like about it but also a lot that weighs it down especially in its messaging

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just had a vision of Fox pundits ranting about “antis” as they currently do with “cancel culture,” and it filtering down to our family’s Republican boomer dad friends.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Korra is so frustrating to me because the show clearly has a lot of fans but I'm not sure if any of them actually enjoyed it all that much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Korra good?

If you like The Last Airbender, it's an interesting follow up, and it's cool seeing a non-western kind of early-modern industrial setting. It still has great fight scenes and the rich world building and music of the original show. However, the story arcs themselves are constantly undermined by executive and network bullshit like never knowing if they'd get renewed and constant backtracking on how many episodes were approved per-season. Plus general fuckery and mandates because Avatar as a property never comfortably fit kids show marketing schemas and demographic projections and that constantly made Nickelodeon queasy.

Ultimately, Korra lacks a strong, clear bad guy driving the whole story forward like the fascist, genocidal Fire Nation in TLA, and instead it has to make a lot of backflips between smaller antagonists it can't comfortably say are mostly right, ideologically, so it has to contrive reasons for why they're wrong and need to be punched.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 20, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Interesting, if kind of a bummer to hear. I'll check it out. I watched air bender for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some of you might know TB Skyren, who does a lot of deep dives of League of Legends character design (he's also got some quite good Let's Plays) and has recently been doing short bite-sized videos ideally suited for TikTok. Well:

https://twitter.com/TBSkyen/status/1373307786646421505

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Matt McMuscles - What Happened? - Cyberpunk 2077

https://youtu.be/J7E_HBXCnmg

UpIsNotJump - Hitman 3 VR Is A Nightmare - Here's Why

https://youtu.be/rP8g04bUWB0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofy thing about the whole new Avatar push by Nick is how dirty they ended up doing Korra when it originally aired.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Korra’s first season is okay but has pacing issues and I hate the very obvious romance subplot that didn’t need that much time waffling and developing.

The second season is dogshit (even the animation is subpar), and the only high points are the Wan two-parter and said romantic subplot being interesting.

The third season is much better, although as mentioned before they have a villain who is mostly right but has an arbitrary extremist methodology so they’re bad. A small consolation is season 4 where we get a Diet Ozai that is the kind of fascist the season 3 villain warned against.

So, starts good and goes down in quality, but goes back up in the second half. I’d say worth a watch if you liked the first series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

They do the same thing in the Pirate Warriors games and I love those games so much but god drat they are so ugly! Realistic skin textures looks so gross over cartoon or anime characters

Also, the chud meltdown over Snyder continues!

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1373202086939095042

:shepface:

i also think some stuff animation designs just don't look good in 3d and like you said the weird realistic poo poo looks loving weird. i feel like borderlands of all games is what they should be emulating because they do a good job of 3d cartoon people with semi realistic looks at times

also what the gently caress is wrong with these people on so many levels. like mother fucker, disney and lucas could give less of a gently caress about your weird videos. go have fun at your kids birthday party.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 20, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

alpharad plays through Jump Force, so you don't have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZYZBCiDIxU&hd=1

strong Poochy energy whenever a villain leaves a scene through a portal.

i am gonna say it. as someone who has never watched My hero academy and probably never will. it amuses me that All might is apparently a genuinely Good dude because he looks like loving Homelander with the "good guy" mask fully off and about to crush a childs head.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Korra good?

Yes, no, yes, no, briefly yes, kinda, yes, yes. People who watched the show can probably mostly line this up with the parts I’m talking about.

Anyways seasons 1 and 2 both start strong but also have some rather mediocre middles and conclusions (with an exception for a couple of episodes in the middle of season 2) but at least season 2 ends with way more spectacle.

Because seasons 1 and 2 never stuck the landing seasons 3 and 4 don’t reach the heights of Last Airbender but they are actually quite good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am gonna say it. as someone who has never watched My hero academy and probably never will. it amuses me that All might is apparently a genuinely Good dude because he looks like loving Homelander with the "good guy" mask fully off and about to crush a childs head.

In the actual series All Might is drawn with exaggerated, heavy shadows to create the impression of this awe-inspiring, unimaginably powerful figure. It's a playful nod to the way classic American superheroes are often drawn.
Jump Force does not replicate that exaggerated shading at all and it makes him look extremely cursed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

muscles like this! posted:

The goofy thing about the whole new Avatar push by Nick is how dirty they ended up doing Korra when it originally aired.

I guess I missed this, what are they doing now?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

from what I remember they were basically 100% sure nobody wanted 'more Avatar' and used any excuse like 'even though we keep loving with when it's on the ratings are low' to justify it and now they're all in on 'hey we know what you guys want...MORE AVATAR' long past Korra and focusing only on Aang stuff again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Augus posted:

In the actual series All Might is drawn with exaggerated, heavy shadows to create the impression of this awe-inspiring, unimaginably powerful figure. It's a playful nod to the way classic American superheroes are often drawn.
Jump Force does not replicate that exaggerated shading at all and it makes him look extremely cursed.

yeah. that makes more sense and is pretty cool but honestly the shadows make him look way more menacing. the dude just looks evil or at least like some plot twist villainy. i guess he is my anime version of Boo Radley.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 20, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

from what I remember they were basically 100% sure nobody wanted 'more Avatar' and used any excuse like 'even though we keep loving with when it's on the ratings are low' to justify it and now they're all in on 'hey we know what you guys want...MORE AVATAR' long past Korra and focusing only on Aang stuff again.
Like the back half of the final season was online-only, and this is back when streaming was only starting to really take off, so the audience wasn’t going to be as large. They cut the budget, forcing a clip show in loving 2014, and they forced Korra and Asami entering a relationship to be reduced to vague subtext because Nickelodeon can’t have a gay relationship on their show.

I mean, the show had legit issues with the writing, but Nickelodeon didn’t help matters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

Nick has opened up Avatar Studios focused on doing more Avatar stuff with the original creators back. Apparently the first project is going to be an animated theatrical movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. that makes more sense and is pretty cool but honestly the shadows make him look way more menacing. the dude just looks evil or at least like some plot twist villainy. i guess he is my anime version of Boo Radley.

he kinda is meant to look that, his whole thing is (without spoiling things) basically being MHA's Superman but he's got a pretty huge secret he hides for most of the story that, while isn't 'villainy' is a pretty major thing for Not-Superman to hide from EVERYONE except his pupil and a couple close friends, including his Not-Justice League. He's meant to look powerful and imposing and still kinda 'shady' and mysterious because he has a very obviously fake backstory that everyone just kinda goes 'yea no poo poo we don't know where he's from and all but...come on it's All Might, he's cool'. It's meant to feel a bit like he's got something dark he's hiding because he kinda is.

It's a very striking character design that's probably one of the more visually distinct shonen characters, which is why Jump literally stripping everything cool to make him a lovely action figure is so funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For comparison

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I stopped paying attention to MHA around the time the plague doctor mask fellas showed up, but All Might is a fantastic character and his gimmick of being a twig man with a penchant for coughing up blood who transforms into a completely different artstyle on a moment's notice is great

his whole thing is "never show weakness, so that those who are powerless don't have to worry or live in fear, because All Might is there to save the day" is pretty cool too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea All Might also is one of the rare examples of an anime character doing the whole 'always be smiling and happy even when you're in pain or afraid' thing right because his whole deal is 'I'm literally the objective number one hero here, I HAVE to project strength and confidence because my literal job is to run around Japan saving people at their worst and they need to believe in us as heroes or this whole thing falls apart'. He has a few genuinely well written moments where it's clear Horikoshi very unironically loves western comics because he just has All Might do very Superman style 'I'm the most powerful person on earth and even then I know there are people suffering and needing help I can't get to, so that's why we need to be sure heroes are a symbol of hope, because we are gonna fail these people and need them to not give up on us when we do'.

MHA, it's good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though MHA also does the actually heroes suck a whole lot actually so it’s a pretty standard capes comic at this point.

It’s also a bit boring

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
One of the ways I interpreted All Might's weird smile/shadowed eyes is as a sort of grimace, since the first chapter establishes that he's basically on borrowed time with all his accumulated injuries and sheer exhaustion from living the way he does.

I should get back on it, it's been a while since I last read any MHA. Did that storyline with the hospital raid wrap up? That's the last thing I remember reading.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
MHA is a coaster ride that goes up and down with every new arc. I binged through the first 2-3 arcs, then completely checked out during the Gentle thief thing and beak-mask guy, and now its just coasting along.

I remember an internet reviewer doing a vid on it, saying that it's popularity is in part of focusing on individual betterment instead of being part of a group. Dunno how accurate that is, but thought it was an interesting take.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though MHA also does the actually heroes suck a whole lot actually so it’s a pretty standard capes comic at this point.

It’s also a bit boring

eh I'd argue they do it better than a lot of capes though. Instead of the typical 'what if Superman...was bad' it's more 'super hero society, much like ours, suffers from systemic inequalities that even otherwise good people benefit from even if they don't understand it'. Like, Toga's whole backstory is 'incredibly powerful quirk, easily the potential to be one of the top level heroes, but it's gross to make work so her parents freaked out' and the whole 'Endeavor is a straight up eugenics freak who horrifically abused his wife and children' is contrasted with 'yea no poo poo we all KNOW that but our system is our system and he's the number two hero so what the gently caress do you want us to do' where it kinda makes everyone look just a little gross too. There's no real dramatic secret he's hiding about it, it's just 'lol I'm like the vice president of super heroes who cares that everyone knows I tortured my wife to make super-babies you literally can't take that away from me'.

There's always a pretty clear undercurrent of marketability and drama being a key part of what makes quirks 'good' or not and as the story goes it kinda evolves from 'lol internships with super heroes doing commercials and junk' to 'oh wait no you've actually set an economic and social system around making sure the guy who's sweat explodes feels like he's superior to someone who's power is 'frog' because that's how society treats those things.'

Plus the League of Villain's arc in the manga is really interesting in that you see them explore a more grayish kinda outlook on 'villain' vs 'hero' but they never really go 'ah ha, mayhaps the villains are...the true heroes???' It's always pretty well 'no, they're not, they're still doing terrible things but yea they're able to speak to a genuine chunk of our population because we've failed them.' Which is all a giant allegory for how cults in Japan do their thing.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 20, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That main kid is so sad. I hope his life got better. I only watched a few episodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

That main kid is so sad. I hope his life got better. I only watched a few episodes.

oh don't worry it's still a shonen manga, that kid's super fine now even if he's still always crying

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Archer666 posted:

MHA is a coaster ride that goes up and down with every new arc. I binged through the first 2-3 arcs, then completely checked out during the Gentle thief thing and beak-mask guy, and now its just coasting along.

I remember an internet reviewer doing a vid on it, saying that it's popularity is in part of focusing on individual betterment instead of being part of a group. Dunno how accurate that is, but thought it was an interesting take.

That’s all shonen really. It’s a genre that talks a lot about friendship but the actual actions mostly means is effectively just moral support.

MHA problem is it does big set piece action battles well. They give you a pretty cool gently caress yeah moment pretty consistently. But the characters themselves are pretty flat so everything between those set pieces kind of suck

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

muscles like this! posted:

Nick has opened up Avatar Studios focused on doing more Avatar stuff with the original creators back. Apparently the first project is going to be an animated theatrical movie.

lmao that's pathetic. They did everything they could to kill Korra and now suddenly they're reviving the IP because they think it can make them a little extra dosh. gently caress off Nick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hel posted:

You also have stuff like Ao3 becoming a centre for a lot of fanfiction, and their no limit rules leading to more people into regular FF being exposed to the underbelly of it.
I think it has to be stressed that Ao3 -- a completely all-encompassing, uncensored, unfiltered archival resource for all fanfiction of all stripes -- is unequivocally A Good Thing and that a lot of the pushback against it stems from profoundly puritanical, if not outright reactionary, mindsets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

he kinda is meant to look that, his whole thing is (without spoiling things) basically being MHA's Superman but he's got a pretty huge secret he hides for most of the story that, while isn't 'villainy' is a pretty major thing for Not-Superman to hide from EVERYONE except his pupil and a couple close friends, including his Not-Justice League. He's meant to look powerful and imposing and still kinda 'shady' and mysterious because he has a very obviously fake backstory that everyone just kinda goes 'yea no poo poo we don't know where he's from and all but...come on it's All Might, he's cool'. It's meant to feel a bit like he's got something dark he's hiding because he kinda is.

It's a very striking character design that's probably one of the more visually distinct shonen characters, which is why Jump literally stripping everything cool to make him a lovely action figure is so funny.

Captain Invictus posted:

I stopped paying attention to MHA around the time the plague doctor mask fellas showed up, but All Might is a fantastic character and his gimmick of being a twig man with a penchant for coughing up blood who transforms into a completely different artstyle on a moment's notice is great

his whole thing is "never show weakness, so that those who are powerless don't have to worry or live in fear, because All Might is there to save the day" is pretty cool too

thanks. yeah i am not a shonen nerd. i am sure the stuff is great and awsome and if i were younger id probably get into it more. i got put off shonen jump stuff HARD in high school so i never really looked into it outside DBZ and even that i only watched up to the end of the cell arc.

sexpig by night posted:

oh don't worry it's still a shonen manga, that kid's super fine now even if he's still always crying

i think my biggest hurtle getting into shonen is i dislike stuff with tons and tons of filler(which is ironic because i like Asscreed games and big rpgs) like i am sure the stories are great and cool but i can't get past the "lets have a 10 episode arc where we gently caress around on a side quest that won't mean poo poo until 300 episodes from now) or "the planet will explode in 5 mins" or the thing i hate in DBZ where its just Number battles after a while. like alprads video on the lovely game shows why i dislike those shows and many of the games based on them. because they are just the same story line over and over and death is meaningless most of the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Filler isn’t really a thing anymore at least for seasonal anime as they don’t need to produce weekly episodes every week and try not and overtake the manga it was based on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BrianWilly posted:

I think it has to be stressed that Ao3 -- a completely all-encompassing, uncensored, unfiltered archival resource for all fanfiction of all stripes -- is unequivocally A Good Thing and that a lot of the pushback against it stems from profoundly puritanical, if not outright reactionary, mindsets.

Not really, most of the pushback I see as a relative outsider are POC being sick of the unfiltered stuff leading to a lot of racist fan fiction, which signals that the space isn't for them. So it's not fan fiction of all stripes, it's fan fiction by people who aren't pushed away or excluded by the lovely stuff that they allow.