Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I kinda feel the same way, actually! I need to really sit down and try to get back into Age of Calamity..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, AoC looks decent but the uh variable framerate and lack of any maps that's aren't just walk towards the objective killing stuff easily makes it the worst out of the three Nintendo Warriors. Trying to make every character quirky in some way doesn't help either and some just feel plain awful to control. Or take up 3/4 of the screen so you can't see wtf is going on.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 20, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What would you folks say is the most recent good Warriors game on the PS4?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Darth Walrus posted:

What would you folks say is the most recent good Warriors game on the PS4?

I'm assuming you mean classic warriors, so I guess Warriors Orochi 4 ultimate maybe?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm assuming you mean classic warriors, so I guess Warriors Orochi 4 ultimate maybe?

I do not. Spin-offs are fine too.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Um... Spirit of Sanada? I'd definitely skip the entire current generation- DW9, WO4, PW4- from the sounds of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really, AoC looks decent but the uh variable framerate and lack of any maps that's aren't just walk towards the objective killing stuff easily makes it the worst out of the three Nintendo Warriors. Trying to make every character quirky in some way doesn't help either and some just feel plain awful to control. Or take up 3/4 of the screen so you can't see wtf is going on.

Yeah at first I thought it was cool how AOC made each character feel so unique, but after the shine wore off, I realized I didn't really enjoy playing as any of them besides Link, and that the fact that they all controlled so differently made it a bit hard to remember how to play them when I was forced to be someone other than Link. Say what you want about the repetitiveness of the rest of the series, but at least the basic control scheme means that you'll be sure to have a base level of competence with any character you happen to be playing as. Some of AOC's characters were real esoteric (gently caress all the bird people).

Playing as Link was fun as hell though, so at least they got that part of it right. And I actually do really like the whole glyph thing instead of the old item system from HW1, I hope more warriors games use it going forward.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I guess it's just a taste thing cuz I loved most of the characters. Even the ones I played least still had a lot of cool novelty to them.

There's also a lot of cool tech and tricks to certain characters, like the way Zelda can expose weakpoints on demand, Mipha's water spout puts her at the exact height to go for headshots on giant enemies, Daruk's impenetrable guard, or Urbosa's infinite cycle of hurting that can rip Lynels to shreds.

The Koei Warriors format has been very, very good to Nintendo IMO. I've loved all three of those games to bits.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what little I played of the demo, Impa was actually my favorite to play.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

From what little I played of the demo, Impa was actually my favorite to play.

Yeah I liked Impa mostly too, though trying to do her rune thing in large crowds could get a bit finicky (though there was probably some trick to it I never figured out). I imagine it is a matter of taste, and also being good at video games, but I found some of the characters and variety of playstyles to be a bit tricky to master compared to the usual musou fare.

I still loved the game on the whole and beat the main campaign and most of the side missions, but well before the end I def came around to agreeing with the people who say the first HW was better.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Persona Strikers and, weirdly, preorders of Samurai Warriors 5 for Switch or Xbox One are both included in Target's current buy 2 get 1 free if anyone is interested.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvivVW3u0BM

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/samurai-warriors-5-adds-shikanosuke-yamanaka-hanbei-takenaka-kanbei-kuroda-kazuuji-nakamura-and-sena

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1374729135386333187

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That's 18 out of 27 characters, right? I wonder who else is returning.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

boo!!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

that sorta sounds like the worst of both worlds

i did see one basic enemy attempt an attack in the gameplay though so ... maybe they arent just jumped up particle effects this time

e: didn't mean this post to be so negative, i'm cautiously optimistic cause i could do with a good warriors game. i just want a bit more focus back on the big battles not just smashing minibosses

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 24, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azran posted:

That's 18 out of 27 characters, right? I wonder who else is returning.

Nene and Hisahide seem like obvious picks.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So there's going to be 28 characters but 15 weapons?? :saddowns:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Dynasty Warriors 7 had a similar system as far as weapons are concerned and it was still a good game, particularly on the storytelling front, so I'm...optimistic about SW5 in that sense.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Any chance of a condensed video that doesn't have like an hour of pre-stream splash page and hype-build tunes? I can't stand that about streams, honestly.

EDIT:

Morter posted:

So there's going to be 28 characters but 15 weapons?? :saddowns:

Sounds like if you use the character's "preferred" weapon type you get ALL THE MOVES, but you can still use your fave character even if their preferred weapon isn't ideal for the mission?

I've never seen this before, but I'll give it a shot

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

What I mean is if there are 28 characters but "15 weapon types" then it sounds like some of them are gonna be clones?? Or am I misunderstanding.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Morter posted:

What I mean is if there are 28 characters but "15 weapon types" then it sounds like some of them are gonna be clones?? Or am I misunderstanding.

Looks like it'll be a DW7 thing where some characters share weapons (we already know there will be multiple spear users) but will have unique moves that differentiate them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh dang, really? Even with such a small roster? Hope they make the best of it :(

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Another movie trailer

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1377253095516819459/pu/vid/1280x720/TUOd3iLNhElmP0S2.mp4?tag=12

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bahaha they actually worked in Lu Bu horse surfing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It looks suitably cheesy. Would be good to watch with some friends and have a few drinks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Certainly doesn't look embarrassed to be a videogame movie.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I never played any Samurai Warriors games past 4, and I didn't use him much in WO3, so whenever I see Hanbei's name I just immediately think of him chilling with his Pikachu/Raichu in Pokemon Conquest.

gently caress, I want a Pokemon Conquest sequel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Same. Romance of the Three Yokai wasn't bad either.

In Musou clone news Underwater Ray Ramano ZAN 2 got announced and seems to be fixing a fair few things and is based on Mask of Truth.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/utawarerumono-zan-2-debut-trailer-details-and-screenshots

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Same. Romance of the Three Yokai wasn't bad either.

The what now?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chachi posted:

The what now?

https://koei.fandom.com/wiki/Youkai_Sangokushi

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More gameplay footage from SW5, and it looks like they've been learning from their recent entries. The game has traditional map-based combat, and they're doing the Pirate Warriors thing of giving you multiple swappable special abilities on a cooldown (which will presumably be unique to each character, keeping them distinct even if they share some of their weapon movesets), but it looks like you also have a rampage mode with a big fancy super attack at the end (with a really cool painted portrait cut-in to finish it off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhUtMo8HO_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtOgh8u_t8

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Coupons said P5 Strikers is $40 at Best Buy on both PS4/5 and Switch.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh, the brought back the Other side to SW5, thats a weird thing I always really enjoyed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Coupons said P5 Strikers is $40 at Best Buy on both PS4/5 and Switch.

Not in canada :smith:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Is WO4:U worth paying full price for if I've been playing WO3: U and found my Vita copy of DW8 XL? I've heard so many bad things about Orochi 4 but it looks decent and has the updated characters and movesets I liked from 8. I just ain't sure that it's worth $60 but I don't think it will ever go on sale for Xbox which is the system I play on.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It is not.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

PureRok posted:

It is emphatically not.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
WO4:U just doesn't feel as good gameplay wise as WO3:U even if it does add the movesets I liked from DW8/SW4. I'm just not a fan of the magic system in that game at all which ends up overriding what I usually enjoy.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well poo poo that kind of sucks. It looked pretty fun in some videos but I did wonder how the magic system would hold up because it looked a bit rough. Maybe I'll just try and find a cheap copy of DW8 to play on my tv because I'm kind of over using the Vita and am not sure I want to buy a Playstation TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The complete edition of DW8XL (includes base game and XL) is like $20 on PS4, the switch version is $40 but includes all the DLC, if you own any of those consoles.