Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/19/01

No Stephen Collins today.

Brenda Starr 2/10/46

Smokey Stover 1/21/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I had never heard of BCN before thisthread. I love it!

Also love the pun in panel 2

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Snorkmaiden does what a Snorkmaiden do

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (August 25, 1990)

I scanned these in big batches and this slipped through. On the page you barely notice that the colors are slightly wonky but apparently the scanner made it much worse.

What did Isomoron think would happen after he scammed all his M-club pals anyway, they'd just forget it and let bygones be bygones? A man so clearly having poisoned his own well.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Seems to be a combination of a desire for respect and an inner demand for victory. He probably could have taken his last big scam winning and retired elsewhere for good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mikl posted:

(Also, this is the second mention of the "rabbit license" thing, which apparently is something that can be taken away by the Rabbit Council for serious transgressions; the first time it showed up, if you'll remember, Kevin was at risk of losing it because he's too unfit to properly run away from threats.)

But what is a rabbit license? He's still a rabbit whether he has one or not. Does it mean he's not considered a rabbit? If that's the case then couldn't all those rabbits who got in trouble for fighting back against being murdered just purposely lose their rabbit licenses and then say "Hey gently caress you we're not rabbits so we can do what we want"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

(In Norway there was a trend with bottlecaps with a short message. They were called "gorks" because the norwegian word for bottlecap is "kork". These bottlecaps then became collectibles because of course they did.)
TegneHanne

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

(the norwegian word for lollipop is "love on a stick")
Nemi

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'll let you make your own joke here.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

That song is from 1965. All the kids are singing it!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Thank you everyone for explaining yesterdays panel, I can barely count in French

B Kliban

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

That song is from 1965. All the kids are singing it!

What a pair of pricks. Didn't even give her a blanket.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

fondue posted:

Thank you everyone for explaining yesterdays panel, I can barely count in French

Thanks to that old Muzzy commercial from back in the day, for a while I thought "JUS SWEE LA JOON VEE" was counting to five in French. You'll learn it the same way you learned English, kids!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

But what is a rabbit license? He's still a rabbit whether he has one or not. Does it mean he's not considered a rabbit? If that's the case then couldn't all those rabbits who got in trouble for fighting back against being murdered just purposely lose their rabbit licenses and then say "Hey gently caress you we're not rabbits so we can do what we want"?

IIRC, Kevin says that rabbits who fail to renew their license get downgraded to 'long-eared rodent', who are considered to be way lower in the Hellworld pecking order (which makes Holbrook's decision to have Kevin's ex-wife transition into a rat yet another way to poo poo on her).

Doomykins posted:

Seems to be a combination of a desire for respect and an inner demand for victory. He probably could have taken his last big scam winning and retired elsewhere for good.

Mämmilä does a great job of showing how old men in power would rather gently caress over each other endlessly because their fragile egos can't handle a little slice of humble pie. It's just too bad that the townspeople are the ones who usually get caught in the crossfire.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There are so so so many things wrong with Kevin and Kell, so let me aim for the fat and easy target: with so, loving SO many interspecies couples, just why the gently caress are K and K important at all? I mean other than they are author favorites, etc.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

What a pair of pricks. Didn't even give her a blanket.

I think the intended gag here is that she was so tired she fell asleep in the same room while they're still arguing

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is doing you a favor, really.

Working Daze doesn't seem to know that is, in fact, the cleaning crew's job.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix reflects on Masters of Orion.

Cul De Sac is making me want to play Shadow of the Collossus.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

I swear to god no one better complain about Sally Forth ever again

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

There are so so so many things wrong with Kevin and Kell, so let me aim for the fat and easy target: with so, loving SO many interspecies couples, just why the gently caress are K and K important at all? I mean other than they are author favorites, etc.

I think the idea is that Kevin and Kell are the first ever interspecies couple, and they're supposed to be a shining beacon of acceptance and empathy that inspires others to date outside their own species. Except it doesn't work because Kell never even shows remorse for killing prey species, and Kevin's fine letting the murders continue as long as it doesn't affect him and his immediate family.

Also ignore the fact that Fiona's mom and dad, as well as Ralph and his dead sheep wife, have beaten K&K to the punch.

Why is Ophelia even promising anything? Sad story or not, her boss instantly assumed the worst of her and just did a massive breach of privacy. This whole drama is so stupid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Oct. 2nd, 1940

Axa

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Look, if I step in glass and you get your foot caught in a bear trap, I'm still bleeding.

I actually usually like Sally Forth

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Except it doesn't work because Kell never even shows remorse for killing prey species, and Kevin's fine letting the murders continue as long as it doesn't affect him and his immediate family.

It hasn't come up a while lot, but Kell apparently changed her hunting behavior after marrying Kevin. Before, she just hunted random people off the street like most Herdthinner employees. Now she goes to The Wild to hunt, targeting people that have explicitly opted out of society.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

sweeperbravo posted:

this [Rex Morgan arc] is so tiresome

It’s so unearned. Genre switches and meta-humor exist only to try to hide that this cast is so flat and boring.

Reminds me of a high school essay written by a kid who has nothing to say about the subject, so he just writes a paper about how lame and pointless college essays are and thinks he’s the first to do so.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Gatto Grigio posted:

It’s so unearned. Genre switches and meta-humor exist only to try to hide that this cast is so flat and boring.

Reminds me of a high school essay written by a kid who has nothing to say about the subject, so he just writes a paper about how lame and pointless college essays are and thinks he’s the first to do so.

At least Rex is making an effort instead of doing a multi-week arc about how old people find dogs pleasant.

Mary Worth had such a clear and easy to follow formula: find a problem, meddle in it, move on. I can't figure out why they abandoned it.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Still less wordy than Skippy gets sometimes at least!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I just can't get over the aggresively weird way that Angelique's face is drawn. That horrible protruding underbite. It haunts me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 1/21/40

Uh, where are they going? Did olde fire stations somehow imply the location of the emergency with the way the bell rang?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

coronatae posted:

I just can't get over the aggresively weird way that Angelique's face is drawn. That horrible protruding underbite. It haunts me.

Like that one woman in FOOB, the one Liz's horrible future husband married? Therese? The one who only had a baby because he badgered her nonstop, and on the condition she never have to raise it, and how shocked he was when she meant it?

I mean, how ELSE will we know they are evil? Though Kevin did marry her for some reason.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what purpose plundering ornamental goods serves in a post-apocalyptic society with no functioning trade networks. I could see it making sense as an intimidation tactic except that's the exact opposite of what the captain is doing by maintaining a secret treasure hoard.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what purpose plundering ornamental goods serves in a post-apocalyptic society with no functioning trade networks. I could see it making sense as an intimidation tactic except that's the exact opposite of what the captain is doing by maintaining a secret treasure hoard.

In the case of the stolen bell an argument could be made that this is an important religious artifact for the people and by stealing it they are being kept in a state of fear and will thus be more dependent on a big strong leader like Cap... but chances are that's not the story for every one of the things in Cap's hoard, so yeah. What's Cap gonna do with a model ship or a naked lady statue? He can't eat it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

My Lovely Horse posted:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Still less wordy than Skippy gets sometimes at least!

Thank you for you support.. and any other type of reaction, for that matter. :smug:

The MLH-Approved "Sally Forth"

The FrumpleOrz-Scorned "Skippy" (August 24, 1933)

Pearls Before Swine, Which Everyone Goes Back And Forth On

Peanuts, multi-year honoree of the "It's Complicated" Award for Readership Relationship. (March 22-23, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean, recipient of innumerable curses from The Society of People Who Take This poo poo Too Seriously. Card carrying member, by the way.

Crankshaft, current holder of the Participation Trophy from the Thread Guilt By Association League.

"Classic" Mutt and Jeff, the beneficiary of an eerie post-9CL hangover calm. If it's not an award, it should be.

Rip Haywire, official comic strip of the International House of Pancakes.

Thimble Theater, created by one of the handful of guys who has a legit award named after him, so it fits the theme better than anything. (October 19-20, 1937)

Thank you for reading this message, which is the recipient of a certificate of recognition from the EasyEW Society of Half-Assing His Effort Posts At The Last Minute.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 21, 2021

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Like that one woman in FOOB, the one Liz's horrible future husband married? Therese? The one who only had a baby because he badgered her nonstop, and on the condition she never have to raise it, and how shocked he was when she meant it?

I mean, how ELSE will we know they are evil? Though Kevin did marry her for some reason.

oh my god I see what you mean

I think Angelique's profile reminds me of the way OBH characters are drawn in profile which only deepens my dislike of both

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I'm so used to smug retail employees in Retail and smug customers in Dustin it's kind of throwing me for a loop to just see a polite retail employee having a polite interaction with a polite customer used as a punchline with no snark.

This has also made me realize that Tina's Groove is my favorite comic about a commercial establishment. Because the customers and the employees are the butt of the joke in equal measure, or often not at all, and it's never mean-spirited either way.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Some Guy TT posted:

Uh, where are they going? Did olde fire stations somehow imply the location of the emergency with the way the bell rang?

Yup, via wikipedia:

When the box is activated by turning a knob or pulling a hook, a spring-loaded wheel turns, tapping out a pulsed electrical signal corresponding to the box's number.[1] A receiver at fire headquarters annunciates the pulses through flashing lights or tones, or via a pen recorder, and the box number is matched to a list of box locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A bit of correction regarding Kevin & Kell: the title characters are "important" because they were this universe's first publicly out predator-prey couple. Apparently the world doesn't give a poo poo about interspecies breeding, as long as it's between species with the same diet.

Case in point, in Classic Kevin & Kell (April 10-14, 2000):

R.L. is worried that it will come out that he's married to Angelique, because it means he will lose the respect of his employees by being married to a prey species. This will be resolved two months of strips later. If you don't want to wait for it: he'll introduce her as a rat at the yearly company pic-nic, and go "rats are omnivores, so they're kinda sorta predators too, so it's okay."