Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Intruder posted:

This is what happens when you pay minor leaguers like $15k a year

That or the Cubs minor league is doubling down on doing amphetamines before games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guze posted:

Its in pounds when you're trafficking it.

Edit: he says he was offer 500 bucks to bring it to Denver. Which is nothing to risk that kind of charge.

You can make $500 doing 2 catering jobs. Jesus Wept.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Skwirl posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone do that? Become a barrista and loving dominate a kickball league and make twice as much money if you're that good.

Because they love playing baseball and want to do it for as long as possible

Same reason everyone knows a dude in his mid 30s still playing bass on Tuesday nights for a crowd of 8 in some lovely bar

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Cubs guy was speeding and drifting into other lanes which is not something I would do with 21 pounds of meth in the car.

I'm not a crimes guy so idk

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
He’s 21, I don’t know who the gently caress he is or what he projects to be but I would guess he still had hopes of making it to the Big Leagues. It’s the 30+ year old dudes still hanging out in the minors who you gotta wonder about.

Edit: oh I misread the headline and he’s actually 26. Yeah that’s a dude who’s broken by the minors.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Guze posted:

Cubs guy was speeding and drifting into other lanes which is not something I would do with 21 pounds of meth in the car.

I'm not a crimes guy so idk

Trafficing for ps5 money aint exactly good economics so their risk reward scale is broken

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Galaxy brained himself into thinking that driving too much within the rules of traffic would make him suspicious because he would stand out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s 21, I don’t know who the gently caress he is or what he projects to be but I would guess he still had hopes of making it to the Big Leagues. It’s the 30+ year old dudes still hanging out in the minors who you gotta wonder about.

Aside from the big time names who get signed for a couple million at age 16 these south american international prospects are largely poor with poor families who are desperate for money to send back to their families. That's how you end up seeing them sign contracts well below their market value to get some security and an earlier payday (see the Braves with Albies and Acuna)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Skwirl posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone do that? Become a barrista and loving dominate a kickball league and make twice as much money if you're that good.

You know when they talk about a team’s “farm system”? That’s the minor leagues. They’re trying to develop into players worthy of being called up to the majors.

Most of them never will be and will toil in obscurity making barely anything at all, but...they’re following their dreams, I guess?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just gonna through it out there that the guy willing to transport 21 pounds of meth for $500 was probably loving high when he agreed to do it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

Aside from the big time names who get signed for a couple million at age 16 these south american international prospects are largely poor with poor families who are desperate for money to send back to their families. That's how you end up seeing them sign contracts well below their market value to get some security and an earlier payday (see the Braves with Albies and Acuna)

They could send more money home becoming a loving busboy

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Ehud posted:

You know when they talk about a team’s “farm system”? That’s the minor leagues. They’re trying to develop into players worthy of being called up to the majors.

Most of them never will be and will toil in obscurity making barely anything at all, but...they’re following their dreams, I guess?

Hundreds of guys are there just to be practice for potential Mike Trouts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They didn't grow up playing busboy, dedicate their lives to being busboys, and have the potential to be called up to make millions of dollars as a higher level of busboy while doing the one thing they love and have always wanted, being a busboy

Camargo made a bad decision, but he made it because someone took advantage of his desperation

e: Also if he decides to quit playing baseball and become a busboy guess who's not staying in the US anymore

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 20, 2021

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Feels like there's a lot of blaming labor going on here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

They didn't grow up playing busboy, dedicate their lives to being busboys, and have the potential to be called up to make millions of dollars as a higher level of busboy while doing the one thing they love and have always wanted, being a busboy

Camargo made a bad decision, but he made it because someone took advantage of his desperation

e: Also if he decides to quit playing baseball and become a busboy guess who's not staying in the US anymore

Sounds like he needs a union.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The snyder cut is a ridiculous movie. I thought the first was unintentionally hilarious, though, as well. I cannot take it seriously. Lots of good laughs. Ryan Reynold’s and his lantern’s absence was felt.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mr. Nice! posted:

[ancient lamentation music playing]

This became funny the more it said it during the movie. They were lamenting a lot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eifert Posting posted:

Seriously it's baffling that the MLB player union is so strong and every single one of them has gone through the minor league system in some way, but they can't get single A people a living wage.

The MLBPA doesn't represent MiLB players, unfortunately. The MLBPA doesn't give a poo poo about you until you're on a team's 40-man roster.

Intruder posted:

A lot of international prospects also get taken in, hook, line and sinker, by agents who promise them riches in America and all they need to do is sign a contract guaranteeing the agent something absurd like 30 percent--sometimes even more--of that player's career earnings. And these players don't have any sort of education in contract law, nor do they have a guardian angel on their shoulders telling them that they're getting scammed by a rooker, so they blindly sign their lives away to these sharks, then find themselves completely destitute a few years later.

It's honestly disgusting how much minor-league baseball completely chews up and spits out players year in and year out, and it will only get worse if the owners get the international draft that they've been trying to get for more than two decades (and I think they might get it this coming winter, because the MLBPA already signaled during the last round of negotiations that they were open to movement on that issue).

The MLBPA has fallen so far from its heyday of the '70s through the '90s, when it just clowned MLB and its commissioners in almost every single legal issue that arose. The Lords of the Realm, by John Helyar, is an amazing read about MLB's labor history, and it's highly recommended, though it does end when the 1994 strike began. I highly recommend The Game, by Jon Pessah, as a companion piece; it goes into exhaustive detail about the 1994 strike and follows MLB's labor issues up to 2015 or so. The Lords of the Realm is out of print, but I think it's only twenty bucks on Kindle, and The Game is only $8.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

One of the most darkly funny things about baseball I find is that the original Ken Burns documentary ending was finished right before the strike year and was all about how the game and its players were stronger than ever and nothing can stop this great American institution and whoops 1994 happens.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The highpoint of baseball's power and prestige was Homer at the Bat, and it's been all downhill since

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One of the most darkly funny things about baseball I find is that the original Ken Burns documentary ending was finished right before the strike year and was all about how the game and its players were stronger than ever and nothing can stop this great American institution and whoops 1994 happens.

And, conversely, one of the most frustrating things is that when Burns made The Tenth Inning, he barely paid any attention to any of the deep-rooted issues that finally boiled over in the 1994 strike (like how the owners finally dropped their dicks on the table and said they wanted a hard salary cap, how the players finally said they didn't trust Bud Selig at all because it was the first time the commissioner's office was "head owner acting on behalf of the other owners," the still-ongoing collusion allegations, and so much more), and instead spent what feels like more than half of its running time jacking off over the Yankees dynasty in the '90s and the Red Sox finally winning the World Series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

A lot of international prospects also get taken in, hook, line and sinker, by agents who promise them riches in America and all they need to do is sign a contract guaranteeing the agent something absurd like 30 percent--sometimes even more--of that player's career earnings.

See: Fernando Tatis Jr who is going to have to pay near $100m to such an agent though I wonder if there'll be some kind of settlement on that

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1373406405949018113?s=19

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The answer to the Cubs dude getting busted trafficking drugs is "lol Cubs gently caress da Cubs"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

I've had at least one coworker who was deported then showed to work a week later.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This was inevitable and frankly I kind of wanted to see if a team could make it to at least the sweet 16 without actually playing a game.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp apparently Walgreens in at least the Milwaukee area got a gently caress ton of J&J vaccines or something, because a friend in our group chat sent a random public portal link today and it has absolutely zero requirements, just asked for first name, last initial, email, DOB and then a form to print and fill out. I scheduled an appointment at 12:00 today and drove down to some community health center and got my shot at 3:00.

Does this make me the J&J gang leader? :confuoot:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

T-Square posted:

Welp apparently Walgreens in at least the Milwaukee area got a gently caress ton of J&J vaccines or something, because a friend in our group chat sent a random public portal link today and it has absolutely zero requirements, just asked for first name, last initial, email, DOB and then a form to print and fill out. I scheduled an appointment at 12:00 today and drove down to some community health center and got my shot at 3:00.

Does this make me the J&J gang leader? :confuoot:

Look at this gibroni only getting one shot

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1373427740997787648

incredible

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Neil Armbong posted:

Look at this gibroni only getting one shot

No poo poo, dude doesn't even get the benefit of 5G.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Absolutely amazing.

Ken Klippenstein is such a pro Twitter follow

e:

It sounds like it may have either been via contact with a ref that worked a conference tourney game for them, or exposure to the public in the hotel they stayed in. The refs and St. Bonaventure stayed in the same hotel as them and apparently lots of people weren’t wearing masks.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 21, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Getting out of the shower and then realizing that your wife threw the towel in the hamper is fun.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ll walk naked through my abode whenever I drat well please, what’s the problem?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

No poo poo, dude doesn't even get the benefit of 5G.

So far my only side effect is this strange dial-up noise I keep hearing.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bird in a Blender posted:

Getting out of the shower and then realizing that your wife threw the towel in the hamper is fun.

that's when you walk right up to her and shake yourself dry like a dog

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’ll walk naked through my abode whenever I drat well please, what’s the problem?

I was cold that’s the problem. That and I showered on the first floor and had to run upstairs to get a new towel.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

I was cold that’s the problem. That and I showered on the first floor and had to run upstairs to get a new towel.

Did you do the "Would you gently caress me?" bit from Silence of the Lambs?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey a GDT mistake for the wrong sport out of me!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I usually realize once I get in. Those sketchy moments tiptoeing across the tile to the cabinet without killing myself are always pretty frustrating. I may or may not have experimented with a modified dog shake to minimize drippage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Buy a couple extra towels? How many towels do you own that it's likely all of them are in the laundry at the same time?