Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Warthog Jumping

A whole bunch of shenanigans based on a literal blast from the past.

El Spamo posted:

Well, now that we've reached this level, I'll go ahead and post the video that introduced me to the insane physics fuckery that Halo provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

El Spamo posted the inspiration for this video a while ago, but if you never got a chance to watch it you should. I have no idea how this exists on YouTube, it has so much copyrighted music in it.

You can also download the original here if you want that legit early 2000s internet experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

That's not average sized? This is very unsettling.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

09 - Keyes

Once again we have to rescue Captain Keyes, but things are a little different this time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Chief remember my wish, if I ever turn into some kind of horrible flesh abomination used to neurally control an alien ship, be sure to punch me right in the loving face."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For the longest time, I did not know this was the same Covenant ship from earlier in the game. I took Cortana's statement at the start of the level to mean that this ship was a second Covenant ship that got left behind in the chaos of the Flood appearing, and all of the Covenant troops in the level were launched from the Truth and Reconciliation in a desperate bid to scuttle it before the Flood took over.

Also, I completely forgot the first part of the level. I remember Cortana warping you in upside down, but after that, everything else is a blur until you get back onto the ship. I genuinely do not remember the whole "jump into the pool of coolant from a warship reactor" section.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Guilty Spark did mention that the Flood were working to repair the ships that had crashed on Halo, so I was expecting something like this. Presumably there's similar infestation in the ship's engine rooms.

What surprises me from a story perspective is that the Covenant isn't simply commencing orbital bombardment of Halo and this ship. Even if they could get this cruiser flying again, all it takes is a single missed Flood spore and this mess starts all over again.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Cythereal posted:

Guilty Spark did mention that the Flood were working to repair the ships that had crashed on Halo, so I was expecting something like this. Presumably there's similar infestation in the ship's engine rooms.

What surprises me from a story perspective is that the Covenant isn't simply commencing orbital bombardment of Halo and this ship. Even if they could get this cruiser flying again, all it takes is a single missed Flood spore and this mess starts all over again.

Doing anything that might damage Halo is a complete non-starter for the Covenant, as at the very least it is a irreplaceable holy artifact. In fact in the books the Autumn is only able to make it to Halo for this very reason.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I never picked up on why the Flood were so focused on THIS ship, and why there was a giant hole in it. I like that the Covenant are freaking out about Flood containment about as much as we are

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

One extra cool thing that wasn't shown is that the banshees at the end have no collision once you fly off. The level doesn't end until Cortana stops talking so if you just drop right down and climb into it as soon as the elite climbs out you can safely ignore all those spec ops covenant by flying straight up through the ceiling to wait for the fade out.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Right. Keyes.

The level I always forget exists.

We talked about the flamethrower earlier, and it's relevant again! This level originally featured it!

You were supposed to burn the implants out of the Captain's skull with it.
This was changed because the reference material was... Well, remember how Mortal Kombat gave its devs PTSD?

Other things to note, uh... Oh! That thing with the shields mentioned last episode, where you can launch yourself if you time a jump on them right as they come back? The only way to make the par time in this level. It's annoying.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just a quick note regarding coolant: y'all seemed to think coolant would automatically be super cold (thus, frost effect) - actually a lot of coolant used in the real world isn't. It's just efficient at heat transfer, cooler than what's being cooled, easy to circulate, etc. Water is the most common coolant used in the real world, including on some nuclear reactors etc. There are even applications where the coolant is very hot - but temperature stable, and still cooler than the thing being cooled. Liquid sodium is used to cool some fast reactors, for example.

Obviously whatever they're using in this level is meant to be some exotic substance the Covenant have (hence, glowing green). But there's a decent chance it's not cold.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

AradoBalanga posted:

For the longest time, I did not know this was the same Covenant ship from earlier in the game. I took Cortana's statement at the start of the level to mean that this ship was a second Covenant ship that got left behind in the chaos of the Flood appearing, and all of the Covenant troops in the level were launched from the Truth and Reconciliation in a desperate bid to scuttle it before the Flood took over.

It's kind of weird, because you'd think it'd get mentioned in the game that it was the same ship, but it never does. That detail comes from the novelization, and I almost wonder if the author just didn't want to make up a new name and decided to re-use it.

Ikasuhito posted:

Doing anything that might damage Halo is a complete non-starter for the Covenant, as at the very least it is a irreplaceable holy artifact. In fact in the books the Autumn is only able to make it to Halo for this very reason.

I totally forgot this detail. I actually am wrong in the commentary where I say the spec ops elites are there to destroy the ship. Cortana says in the opening cutscene that they are trying to repair it for some reason, although maybe they'd destroy it out in space to avoid damaging the ring.

malkav11 posted:

Just a quick note regarding coolant: y'all seemed to think coolant would automatically be super cold (thus, frost effect) - actually a lot of coolant used in the real world isn't. It's just efficient at heat transfer, cooler than what's being cooled, easy to circulate, etc. Water is the most common coolant used in the real world, including on some nuclear reactors etc. There are even applications where the coolant is very hot - but temperature stable, and still cooler than the thing being cooled. Liquid sodium is used to cool some fast reactors, for example.

Obviously whatever they're using in this level is meant to be some exotic substance the Covenant have (hence, glowing green). But there's a decent chance it's not cold.

Yeah I studied refrigeration cycles in university, although that was over a decade ago (big sad). I know coolant isn't some magically cold liquid, but it would have been a cool video game thing that would have made sense intuitively, if not realistically.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I totally forgot this detail. I actually am wrong in the commentary where I say the spec ops elites are there to destroy the ship. Cortana says in the opening cutscene that they are trying to repair it for some reason, although maybe they'd destroy it out in space to avoid damaging the ring.
If the plan is "get the ship flight-capable, then blow it up in space off the ring", then I have no idea what the Covenant commander is thinking. The sheer amount of risk involved would far outweighs the benefits of such a plan. I could buy that the Covenant are trying to render the ship inoperable (damage the reactor/engines/weapons beyond repair, for instance), but getting the ship off the ground just seems like an exercise in futility. Unless the Covenant believes that too many of their engineers/mechanics were assimilated by the Flood (thus potentially giving the Flood knowledge of how to repair the Truth and Reconciliation), then I could see why they'd go for this absolutely bonkers plan.

Granted, I've never touched the Halo novels, so it's entirely possible the novels explain this part of the game better than what's in the main game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

At this point I think the covenant still think they can win the fight against the flood, so are actually intending to fully retake the ship. Alternatively maybe they realised the reactor could blow and wanted to stop that to protect the ring itself?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The novel reveals there's a minor Prophet aboard the ship.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I guess he didn't see that coming

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Keyes tumor thing really is gross

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

McTimmy posted:

The novel reveals there's a minor Prophet aboard the ship.
Well, that definitely reframes the opening of Halo 2 in a different light.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RIP Keyes. We will never forget you and your memorable valor of....
of....

Well you landed the ship better than the one we rode down, so that counts right?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I know it probably goes into some external slot that has no direct communication with his body, but I was always uncomfortable about how Chief is fine with the chip covered in infectious space zombie goo being jammed straight into his head, as long as he gives it a bit of shake first.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I know it probably goes into some external slot that has no direct communication with his body, but I was always uncomfortable about how Chief is fine with the chip covered in infectious space zombie goo being jammed straight into his head, as long as he gives it a bit of shake first.
I've always seen that as a quiet indication of how desperate the situation has become. The Flood are spreading rapidly across Halo, so Chief has no real time to not only mourn the death of his commanding officer, but to properly clean the Flood goop off of Keyes' implants before plugging them into his suit. He has to get to the Pillar of Autumn and blow up the reactors immediately or else the Flood will find a way off of Halo and become the widespread galactic threat they have been alluded to being in the past.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

AradoBalanga posted:

I've always seen that as a quiet indication of how desperate the situation has become. The Flood are spreading rapidly across Halo, so Chief has no real time to not only mourn the death of his commanding officer, but to properly clean the Flood goop off of Keyes' implants before plugging them into his suit. He has to get to the Pillar of Autumn and blow up the reactors immediately or else the Flood will find a way off of Halo and become the widespread galactic threat they have been alluded to being in the past.

Or that the homicidal AI will set off the rings and destroy all life.

It's sort of telling when the genocidal alien juggernaut you've been at war with for decades has been bumped down to a moderate concern.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 21, 2021

General Calculus
Aug 2, 2014
I find the classic graphics for the Flood brain mass to be more horrifying, since it looked more like Keyes was fully assimilated by it. Really emphasizes how sharp of a turn the second half of the game takes into sci-fi horror compared to the first half.

Regarding the those black spec ops Covenant, the elites are notable in that they are the only ones to throw grenades, and will straight up tag you if you don't dodge out of the way. I think they also fire faster and more aggressively compared to the other elite types, which is why they seem to do more damage.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

10 - The Maw

Time for the big finish. Let's go out with a bang!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I really love that ending for some reason. It's very bleak and desolate in a way that matches the rest of the game and the sole survivor bit fits with the shift into horror genre the game does. It would be a real shame if almost all of it got retconned later on...

And as much poo poo as I gave Keyes for being a nonentity last time, landing the ship instead of letting it crash land DID kind of save the day in the end, so I might have been a tad too mean.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact about that helmet tease - if you hack the camera to be able to see inside the ship during that scene, his helmet doesn't actually come off. It just puts an extra helmet in his hands to put next to him, and the actual model, since it was never meant to be shown like that, just keeps the helmet as per normal since the cutscene camera can't see his head when it happens anyway.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fun fact about that helmet tease - if you hack the camera to be able to see inside the ship during that scene, his helmet doesn't actually come off. It just puts an extra helmet in his hands to put next to him, and the actual model, since it was never meant to be shown like that, just keeps the helmet as per normal since the cutscene camera can't see his head when it happens anyway.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's not surprising to me that Master Chief and Cortana are the sole survivors. It is weird to me that there's no mention of trying to contact or warn anyone else other than calling in Foehammer. Like, if they knew everyone else was dead, that would be one thing. But it didn't seem that way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The talk about LAN parties at the end made me age 5000 years in an instant. Thank you for making me feel that old.

I am looking forward to Halo 2 and the surge of big name talent that came in to do the voice work/soundtrack.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Huh, Halo 1 seems like a really short game

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

malkav11 posted:

It's not surprising to me that Master Chief and Cortana are the sole survivors. It is weird to me that there's no mention of trying to contact or warn anyone else other than calling in Foehammer. Like, if they knew everyone else was dead, that would be one thing. But it didn't seem that way.

They got flood to deal with. Gotta go and gotta go now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Neat LP so far, and I liked the ending.

Seems like a surprisingly good game, even if I don't care for Master Chief.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given that the Halo spins to simulate gravity, there's no way that chunk would fall towards the other side of the ring after the Pillar exploded.

:goonsay:

Also, if the Pillar had just crashed into it, wouldn't that have destroyed the ring, too? But then there wouldn't have been a game.

Great LP. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, if the Pillar had just crashed into it, wouldn't that have destroyed the ring, too? But then there wouldn't have been a game.

The Pillar of Autumn is one and a bit kilometres long.

Halo is 318km wide, and 20-odd deep. The Autumn isn't breaking that at any speed she can achieve under her own power.

Also, the astute among you may have noticed an issue with the Warthog Run, given the Autumn's stated length. I can only assume UNSC shipwrights have mastered TARDIS technologies.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

malkav11 posted:

This is another case of "it's in the book". Human forces are actually aware of what MC is up to and are in the process of trying to make their escape during the last mission. It doesn't go great.

Ablative posted:

Also, the astute among you may have noticed an issue with the Warthog Run, given the Autumn's stated length. I can only assume UNSC shipwrights have mastered TARDIS technologies.

To add to this, here is a layout of the warhog run imposed on the Autumn.

What makes this better is that we can see that the longsword on the forward right side of the Autumn. So this means we travel well above and three times the length of the ship forward to go slightly up and back.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I really like the comedy bits, Halo just doesn't have enough backing it up to take itself that seriously. I feel like they kind of lose that throughout the series, it gets pretty joyless later on.

And absolutely gently caress getting those grenades in the holes, it's so tricky. Especially with plasma grenades which don't even have the good grace to bounce in occasionally even if you're not right on target.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ablative posted:

The Pillar of Autumn is one and a bit kilometres long.

Halo is 318km wide, and 20-odd deep. The Autumn isn't breaking that at any speed she can achieve under her own power.

Yes, but I meant if the reactor blew up if the ship smashed into the ring.

If just sitting on the beach and going boom was enough to destroy Halo, hitting it at the speeds spaceships travel at and the reactor exploding would have double boomed it.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Does anyone know how Sgt. Johnson survives that ending?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Outpost22 posted:

Does anyone know how Sgt. Johnson survives that ending?

Full-on naked retcon, because fan reaction to the character was so strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Legendary ending was never canon anyway.

Also there are a lot of guys with that character model, so even if it was they could just say it wasn't actually Johnson.