Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

spwrozek posted:

I would reach out to the shop and/or to jones and see what they will do. I wouldn't accept that.

Yeah, I already reached out to Jones and the shop.

Thankfully the shop has a 45 day return window... I'm just afraid that they're gonna be out of stock and their only recourse is to give me my money back. I'll likely have to shell out full price at another shop/site :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Doesn't matter if it's outta the shop window, jones has a warranty and I would never accept something like that. I've had to return stuff to Never Summer when it arrived with a bent edge and they were super easy to deal with.

You could reach out to jones and see what they can offer you, if the shop doesn't have another in your size and you can't find the deal elsewhere.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 18, 2021

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Doesn't matter if it's outta the shop window, jones has a warranty and I would never accept something like that. I've had to return stuff to Never Summer when it arrived with a bent edge and they were super easy to deal with.

You could reach out to jones and see what they can offer you, if the shop doesn't have another in your size and you can't find the deal elsewhere.

Thankfully the shop has been super responsive and helpful thus far. I went ahead and ordered a replacement while they're processing my return, I also requested that they use additional packaging material to better protect the new order. They were very apologetic and accommodating to that request, asking that I send pictures of the original packaging materials used.

Haven't heard back from Jones yet, but I didn't reach out until rather late yesterday. Hopefully the irony of the damage being directly adjacent to their quality control sticker isn't lost on them.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

CO goons, what are you thoughts on passes for next year? I went with Epic this year but I'm considering going with Ikon next year just to try out more mountains. Considering that Ikon really only offers Winter Park and Copper in the front range compared to Epic's Vail, Beaver, Keystone, and Winter Park, do the Ikon mountains get bigger crowds?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

CO goons, what are you thoughts on passes for next year? I went with Epic this year but I'm considering going with Ikon next year just to try out more mountains. Considering that Ikon really only offers Winter Park and Copper in the front range compared to Epic's Vail, Beaver, Keystone, and Winter Park, do the Ikon mountains get bigger crowds?

I will get an Epic again I am sure. It seems like WP and Copper are just as crowded (you get Eldora as well). If you want to travel a bunch to other resorts Ikon has a better lineup across the west.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Don't forget the mountain collective, you only get 2 days per destination but depending on how often you plan on skiing that could be plenty.

Only a couple of CO destinations, but you do get unlimited half price tickets after your two days at each destination I believe.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm with spwrozek, if you are going to vacation outside of CO a lot, go Ikon. Otherwise Epic

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

Do you have any intention of skiing in Utah? Ikon give 7 days at Deer Valley (Ski only resort, to be warned though) and that would be a location you could drive to in 8 -10 hours.

Epic has Park City Mountain Resort, which is really nice too, and unlimited days, so if you went up a lot that could be worthwhile.

If you are going to ski outside the front range, and make a trip out of going to another resort maybe think of the resort you have always wanted to visit and get the associated pass. In regards to travel though, and I may be wrong on this, I would expect prices next year to not be competitive. As soon as a majority of the people are vaccinated there is going to be a huge rush to vacation and travel and "get back to normal" so distance ski trips next season my be more difficult or expensive.

If you are prior military Epic has veteran passes, while Ikon only has retired or active. On the other hand Ikon looks to have a discount for college, and discount on kids passes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do you have any intention of skiing in Utah? Ikon give 7 days at Deer Valley (Ski only resort, to be warned though) and that would be a location you could drive to in 8 -10 hours.

Suggesting Der Valley over Alta/Bird, blasphemy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Suggesting Der Valley over Alta/Bird, blasphemy.

Park City is good too. Not sure exactly why, but I prefer the Park City location.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Partial Octopus posted:

We've done Epic this year and the last two. Now that we're going to be living in Colorado, traveling for a few days in the middle of the week will be easier, and we won't have to factor in traveling to Denver, I think we're going to go with Ikon next year and go for the full pass. That way, we'll also get some days in at Steamboat and try to ski Aspen for the first time. Does that make sense?

edit: Ended up getting to Crested Butte at 130pm today so got some runs in. :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crosspost from the scooty frooty thread to demonstrate why helmets are such a good idea:

https://i.imgur.com/6Oop6hU.mp4

Also, Vail's letter today saying they are cancelling reservation system for next year is not surprising. Still wondering what they are going to announce on the 23rd.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is big big news. Can't wait.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As I wait through pretravel quarantine, any recommendations for those of you who've skied/ridden Stowe especially for mixed skiers/snowboarders? I figured we'd check out the front four (Goat, National, Starr and Liftline) and depending on conditions climb up to the ridgeline to Profanity Chute, Hourglass Chute and Rock Garden. Any other must ski/must do? Also we have one person who is most comfortable on groomed blues/greens any recommendations for trails to ride with them that'll still be fun for the others too?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Can't give any word on Stowe specifically, but can say that the green mountains are definitely peak VT thaw / freeze cycles at the moment. Today at Sugarbush was not great as it did not get warm enough after yesterday and so the all groomers were hardpack and lol at the thought of going down ice moguls. Next week looks good as it'll stay warm so stuff will be soft, but that's probably going to risk killing off some of our expert terrain as it was already starting to have big patches open up last week during the last thaw.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

It is big big news. Can't wait.

I am starting to think it might be non ski related. Maybe like they are adding Summer activities to it. Like mountain biking or something outside of the primary ski season. Give people a reason to travel to the vail owned resorts and lodging and whatnot during the off seasons.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am starting to think it might be non ski related. Maybe like they are adding Summer activities to it. Like mountain biking or something outside of the primary ski season. Give people a reason to travel to the vail owned resorts and lodging and whatnot during the off seasons.

Free bike park access to keystone would be dope. I doubt it though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Vail's alpine coaster is going from $40 to $140 per ride...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Scarf posted:

Vail's alpine coaster is going from $40 to $140 per ride...

$40 to ride an Alpine coaster sounds expensive as poo poo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

IncredibleIgloo posted:

$40 to ride an Alpine coaster sounds expensive as poo poo.

I think the one at Aspen is even more...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Some of our kid racers are at Jay Peak on a post season trip and one of them was wearing her Mountain Creek Racing jacket. A random guy sees her on the mountain and says "Hey, I'm from there" and then he proceeds to slam down a beer while taking a piss in front of everyone. Classic NJ.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Master_Odin posted:

Can't give any word on Stowe specifically, but can say that the green mountains are definitely peak VT thaw / freeze cycles at the moment. Today at Sugarbush was not great as it did not get warm enough after yesterday and so the all groomers were hardpack and lol at the thought of going down ice moguls. Next week looks good as it'll stay warm so stuff will be soft, but that's probably going to risk killing off some of our expert terrain as it was already starting to have big patches open up last week during the last thaw.

"probably going to risk killing off some of our expert terrain" sounds wildly optimistic, honestly, it's supposed to be four days of 50s and sunny followed by a week of rain (and still 40s/50s). This weekend is probably the last call for a huge swath of terrain in the northeast.

Uncle Lloyd fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 20, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

poo poo's winding down in the NE and I just bought my pass and will be getting my first day in soon.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy poo poo crested butte is awesome. Wife and I took a lesson today and the instructor took us over to the north face. Awesome snow, awesome conditions. A+.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
god dammit I love the corn skiing so much

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Corn is second only to pow imo

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

How you guys feel about breakable crust since the sun didn't do its job and make the corn?

It is still great on a snowboard. Less fun on skis though...from what I can tell.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Personally I love having to jump turn down 20 degree slopes to actually slow down. Very fun. Had some of that at current creek earlier this week. N to E facing aspects were genuinely awesome skiing though.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m always too worried about my knees in chunky spring snow on skis. But snowboarding is basically wakeboarding at this point and it’s fantastic.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I’m always too worried about my knees in chunky spring snow on skis. But snowboarding is basically wakeboarding at this point and it’s fantastic.

Pretty much. It is great.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

This girl I know bagged the San Joaquin couloir yesterday and that is a really good trophy line

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Post the ski playlist if you got em

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/02Iyc1dYrokOfWRrMOzsP2?si=cyC4NkNVS4mtXb7ZZPAFVQ

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

This girl I know bagged the San Joaquin couloir yesterday and that is a really good trophy line

drat. That is massive.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Hooooooooly poo poo

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I am uncomfortable just looking at this.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

How you guys feel about breakable crust since the sun didn't do its job and make the corn?

It is still great on a snowboard. Less fun on skis though...from what I can tell.

Oh I love it. Had my adjustable backcountry poles this one day years ago because I lost a basket on my other poles the day before. Of course I started this run in some nice fresh (though heavy) snow, halfway down turned into a sneaky rain crust. Started not breakable and then... was.

Bent my pole, now it’s just a heavy non adjustable one

https://youtu.be/488IliK1KCI

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

2nd Stop of Ultra Natural from Baldface is on Red Bull TV right now. This time they have all Canadians who had the last few days to put together an edit and a top to bottom run to be judged.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

:eyepop:

Good for them, wow.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I watched a YouTube of that and it looks insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A technique question for you guys: when I'm carving a turn, I'm finding that most of my weight is on the inside edge of my outside ski. For example: if I'm turning to the right, most of my weight is on the inside edge of my left ski. The outside ski also drifts behind my inside ski, and the inside ski is kind of "loose." Is that bad? Are there any drills to fix that?