Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shipon posted:

is this the person who was in the lyft with adam

yellowcar posted:

that was sarah lerner

The absolute best story. I'm not sure how Adam manages to make folks like her and Chelsea Clinton gravitate towards him, but God bless him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Thoguh posted:

It's actually kind of surprising because not even the NSA gives a poo poo if you've smoked pot as long as you admit to it and aren't currently smoking.

so there was probably some other reason they were fired and they just made an excuse with the weed

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thoguh posted:

It's actually kind of surprising because not even the NSA gives a poo poo if you've smoked pot as long as you admit to it and aren't currently smoking.

I don't know a single federal agent who has not smoked pot.

The only thing I can think of that would even remotely lead to this is if they had lied about it earlier.

For example: In an earlier interrogation/questionaire they said they had never smoked pot, and then later said that they had. There's no leeway for any lie, no matter how small, when obtaining a security clearance.

Like, you can be denied a clearance for not paying your bills on time.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 04:15 on Mar 21, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know a single federal agent who has not smoked pot.

Cop spotted.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Not if they ever smoked pot.

those weird rear end kids don't smoke weed specifically bc they know it'll hinder their careers.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Nobody cares that much, it is simply what the cheapest animation looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFb7BOI_QFc

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

this person is on the left and incessantly a scold. no surprise they're wrong about this too

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

our interview with historian @ruthbenghazi

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

this person is on the left and incessantly a scold. no surprise they're wrong about this too

I can't actually process someone admitting to believing the Iraq war propaganda. Tens of millions of people protested. I don't know how anyone could look back and say "Well poo poo there was no way for anyone to know"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I can't actually process someone admitting to believing the Iraq war propaganda. Tens of millions of people protested. I don't know how anyone could look back and say "Well poo poo there was no way for anyone to know"

i was in high school and i knew it was bullshit. i am supposed to take someone who was in their 20s at the time of the iraq war and believed the story seriously when they scold people for anything? lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

i was in high school and i knew it was bullshit. i am supposed to take someone who was in their 20s at the time of the iraq war and believed the story seriously when they scold people for anything? lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RZO8y-R9k&t=52s

"poo poo, it all sounded perfectly credible to me at the time!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the point was that American media was able to convince lots of people that there was a legitimate reason to going to war in Iraq, so you shouldn't assume that you're immune to propaganda regarding Xinjiang because they're certainly lying about that too and yet saying so gets you tagged as a genocide denier

https://twitter.com/jacob__posts/status/1372973532141948930?s=19

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Judakel posted:

I was 20, didn't believe it, and registered my disapproval by voting for libertarian candidate mike badnarik in 2004 which goes to show you didn't need to be smart to not buy into it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the point was that American media was able to convince lots of people that there was a legitimate reason to going to war in Iraq, so you shouldn't assume that you're immune to propaganda regarding Xinjiang because they're certainly lying about that too and yet saying so gets you tagged as a genocide denier

Yeah, with Iraq there was the same element of "Saddam is killing people you monster!" if you weren't on-board.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Judakel posted:

I was in grade school and got assigned to defend the invasion in a debate. My galaxy brain argument was that the war would probably kill less people than continuing the sanctions regime.

i would have been so powerful if social media existed back then.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Atrocious Joe posted:

I was in grade school and got assigned to defend the invasion in a debate. My galaxy brain argument was that the war would probably kill less people than continuing the sanctions regime.

lol this is a much better argument than what I heard from republicans (and dems) in 2003

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Andorra posted:

New Ms. Frizzle shrinks the class down small enough to see Elizabeth Warren's chromosomes, where they find the DNA that proves she's cherokee

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

*drawing of guy strangling his brain as his brain tries to strangle him*

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

bedpan posted:

i am staggered at the amount of things that people projected onto biden, even though those things were directly at odds with his entire history

libs still be quoting things from his website that he's never even seen as authoritative proof that joe biden supports [nominally progressive thing] that joe biden has spent his entire career fighting against and just last week reiterated his opposition to

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/jacob__posts/status/1372973532141948930?s=19

you had to get like 6 tweets into their thread to even get to that point. its a colossally dumb way to frame their point and also just flat out wrong from the beginning with some weird revisionist history and they just double and triple down on it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I was 19, and there was a schoolwide walkout for a protest rally in the quad. I was 75% sure the WMDs claim was bullshit. Then they let the college Republican head get up and voice his dissent. He was, I poo poo you not, a Tucker Carlson cosplayer. That's when I became 1 million percent certain that the WMD claims were bullshit.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

edit: you know what, the fact that y'all are dumb as poo poo is self evident without my pointing it out

i forget sometimes that my just being in a thread makes some people post badly

:thunk:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Andorra posted:

New Ms. Frizzle shrinks the class down small enough to see Elizabeth Warren's chromosomes, where they find the DNA that proves she's cherokee

You never see the other side of her head, due to the animation style, but she has the "Blood & Teeth" tattoo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

I knew they were lying because it was loving obvious. Also, I remember the 6 month period where every month the government came up with a new reason we had invaded, then it was publicly proven to be false, then they came up with a new reason and the media echoed it. gently caress

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

she's right

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i was a teen when the iraq war kicked off and i won't pretend to have been against it for any real ideological reason, i was just a bratty "gently caress authority maaaaan" kid, but at least i was against it

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

As a grade schooler raised on Tom Clancy novels and Fox News, I was for the Iraq War at the time. It's been a bit of a journey.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the day 9/11 happened I told my school friend "well that's what America gets for loving around in the middle East"

I had to keep that sort of talk quiet pretty quickly. Iraq was obvious bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

the day 9/11 happened I told my school friend "well that's what America gets for loving around in the middle East"

I couldn't find the 9/11 one

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the one 9/11 thing i remember was in 2003 i think, where they pulled every student out of class to sit in the auditorium to first watch a montage of 9/11 footage set to horrid country music and that terrible AHM PROUD TO BE 'MURIKAN song, then an army recruiter took the stage to tell some bullshit tearjerker story about his friends not coming back from iraq before walking off stage with a poo poo-eating grin on his face, then they played about 15 minutes of archival tanks shooting and planes dropping bombs footage set to buttrock

i remember being like what the gently caress am i watching

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

this person is 15 right

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

I knew they were lying because it was loving obvious. Also, I remember the 6 month period where every month the government came up with a new reason we had invaded, then it was publicly proven to be false, then they came up with a new reason and the media echoed it. gently caress

I assumed that tweet was referring to the people who believe current US government claims while simultaneously believing they would have known the government was lying about Iraq.

There are a lot of people who are like "yeah the government lied about Iraq, but the things it's currently saying about Syria/China/whatever are different and true."

0 rows returned posted:

the one 9/11 thing i remember was in 2003 i think, where they pulled every student out of class to sit in the auditorium to first watch a montage of 9/11 footage set to horrid country music and that terrible AHM PROUD TO BE 'MURIKAN song, then an army recruiter took the stage to tell some bullshit tearjerker story about his friends not coming back from iraq before walking off stage with a poo poo-eating grin on his face, then they played about 15 minutes of archival tanks shooting and planes dropping bombs footage set to buttrock

I have two vivid memories from the day of (when I was in 10th grade):
- TV was on in Chemistry class and I remember being very weirded out when the first building fell because I was basically watching mass death happen in real time
- Sitting around at lunch and feeling very awkward because some students were crying and I was worried people would think I was a bad person because I wasn't

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i got in pretty big trouble for saying I thought the Istanbul HSBC and the British Consulate bombings in 2003 were understandable responses to the Iraq War in a long post on the guestbook of some older kid’s personal home page

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Rutibex posted:

I like to imagine you were in elementary school. Don't correct me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

I was 19, and there was a schoolwide walkout for a protest rally in the quad. I was 75% sure the WMDs claim was bullshit. Then they let the college Republican head get up and voice his dissent. He was, I poo poo you not, a Tucker Carlson cosplayer. That's when I became 1 million percent certain that the WMD claims were bullshit.

I was pretty libpilled at this time in my life and bought the WMD claim but still thought the war was a terrible idea. We didn't invade Iraq after gulf war 1 because it would have been a decade+ long waste of money and lives according to Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney, and we had secured Kuwait's position so what would an occupation actually gain anyone, and yet somehow invading them when they hadn't done anything like invade a neighboring country but when they had biological weapons was a good idea according to *checks notes* Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld? And where the gently caress was Bin Laden? Not in Iraq that's for sure.

Anyway later I just soured more from there, came to realize the entire war on terror premise was a farce in total along with the buildup of the national security apparatus that it enabled, but there were a ton of good reasons to oppose the war even if you bought some or all of the lies, and I think that's equally as true for the drumbeating against China right now.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Mar 21, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

the only thing i really remember is the principal condescendingly repeating the point that "this isn't a game, this is real" over the P.A, like we all thought a terrorist attack was a fun prank call

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

look through the comments for an unending parade of the dumbest fuckers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I remember how a lot of people in my school thought that we were in Iraq because they caused 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
drat sad i missed out on being in a protest/walk out against the iraq war