Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: wrong thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Surprised this didn't get posted here yet:
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1372766463556083715

I knew about the street vent teleporter and "mirror" tricks but I had no idea about the submarine trick in Death Row or the sprite walkways.

I like that it ends with a "bet you might think the windows into the apt were to mask something after learning all of this but nope! They're just like this!"

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

JLaw posted:

One of my favorite new-generation Quake mappers JPal has a big ol' medieval release today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_qgbRBYoA

Greymoor

In contrast to some other impressive new stuff that swings for the fences with new styles in elaborate AD maps, JPal's output has been fun because it really looks and feels like evolved/matured original Quake.

Lots of good Quake this month!

Just went through this, finished the last shambler with 7 health points and 8 shells left. Had to do some really strategic dodging to feed him 2-3 rockets to lower his HP a little bit. Super solid, nice looking map, slightly mazey at points, but definitely has it's own ideas for design, and as you said, it feels like logical evolution of Quake.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I like that it ends with a "bet you might think the windows into the apt were to mask something after learning all of this but nope! They're just like this!"

A chat like this but for shadow warrior would be good too, it had the sector portal things like for water but you could see through them for fake RoR.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/stopskeletons/status/1373493814996865031?s=21

The Ultimate DOOM experience.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/FittingDoomIMGs/status/1373432699155750914

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Flannelette posted:

A chat like this but for shadow warrior would be good too, it had the sector portal things like for water but you could see through them for fake RoR.
Shadow Warrior could do real Room over Room, it basically took the whole water thing but extended it to drawing the stacked sectors as well, instead of leaving them occluded, which is how they get the transparent water. Of course doing this would have been performance cost prohibitive in the Duke 3D days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsNJCt5VGjU

The Lucasarts Jedi engine could do this too I believe (the bridges in Dark Forces and the multi-story buildings in Outlaws) and I assume GZDoom does it in a similar manner?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 21, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man I got Doom2 again after like a quarter century and I'm getting my butt kicked by some of these WADs. I'm Edge-of-Tomorrowing some of these fights over dozens of attempts. Still remember all those sounds.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a reason for that creaking you feel in your bones.

https://twitter.com/Croteam/status/1373598167896354819

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The best Serious Sam game is the demo version of The First Encounter, played on your brand new computer with Windows XP.

Also I believe Serious Sam was the first game that was made explicitly as a call back to earlier titles in the FPS genre, not following the then-current trend of linear movie-like Half-Life'sque experiences, or the upcoming deluge of World War II games, following the huge success of MoH:AA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wait Serious Sam came out only 4.5 years after Quake?

I guess time really moves slower when you're young :corsair:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Quake was released in June, 1996. Quake II was released in December, 1997.

I was so sure it was like 3 or 4 years between them, but nope. 18 months.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

There's a reason for that creaking you feel in your bones.

https://twitter.com/Croteam/status/1373598167896354819

gently caress me I remember playing the Demo in HS and thinking “ahh so this is what a retro FPS is like” because I didn’t start playing PC shooters until Half Life.

My first FPS was probably....Turok on N64?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Really grateful to be part of the millenial cohort who discovered Doom via a friend whose older brother/uncle/dad installed it on the family PC and you got to play it as a group experience when you went over to their house.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing Doom 1 and 2 via GZDoom with the Brutal Doom mod, and gently caress, I don't think there's a better feeling FPS than this, is there? It just feels so satisfying just killing and gibbing things. Vanilla Doom already feels very satisfying, but with Brutal Doom is just pure glee. Rip and tear indeed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Meh, wake me up when you can run Doom on a PS2 DVD remote

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Convex posted:

The technological progression of FPS games in particular is absurd.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Plan Z posted:

The technological progression of FPS games in particular is absurd.

Yeah I remember going from Wolfenstein to Doom in the space of like 1 year seemed crazy at the time, but then 1 year felt like an eternity to a 9 year old.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Convex posted:

Doom II - > Quake III is only a little more than that

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It really is crazy when you think about stuff like going from Doom to Unreal Tournament 99 in the course of ~6 years.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It really is crazy when you think about stuff like going from Doom to Unreal Tournament 99 in the course of ~6 years.

Can you just imagine traveling back in time, showing someone who just played Doom a future video game magazine and whispering in their ear "yes, these are actual PC game screenshots."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

or wolfenstein 3d to half-life

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Can you just imagine traveling back in time, showing someone who just played Doom a future video game magazine and whispering in their ear "yes, these are actual PC game screenshots."

I was still playing Doom as a "modern" game in early 1997

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
quote is not edit

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

What blows my mind is if you built a top of the line gaming computer in 1997 it was hopelessly out of date by 2000 to the point where a new game probably doesn’t even run.

Meanwhile, that top of the line gaming rig you built in 2012 can probably still play most games today at medium settings / 1080p.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What blows my mind is if you built a top of the line gaming computer in 1997 it was hopelessly out of date by 2000 to the point where a new game probably doesn’t even run.

Meanwhile, that top of the line gaming rig you built in 2012 can probably still play most games today at medium settings / 1080p.
My decent gaming computer died catastrophically a few years ago. I spent a few hundred quid on a secondhand casual bit-of-gaming machine, transferred my ssd, and I'm still not worrying about system requirements when I buy games.

It's going to be a hell of a shock if things start moving quickly in the minimum specs field again.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Convex posted:

I was still playing Doom as a "modern" game in early 1997

Wait, they planned to release a version of Unreal for Nintendo 64?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yes, and PSX. And it was supposed to have shareware demo.

https://twitter.com/KGOrphanides/status/1373707052778975235

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It's a good thing, too, because the video card I bought 4 years ago costs nearly 4x as much today as it did back then.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I have a GTX 1060 just laying around in case I ever want to play something at 144hz again (because I buy cheap monitors apparently) and it's nice knowing I have a backup cash fountain in case my car breaks down or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

It's a good thing, too, because the video card I bought 4 years ago costs nearly 4x as much today as it did back then.

Please for the love of God could Bitcoin crash before we get an Elden Ring release date. I built my computer five years ago (upgraded some parts since) but I wanted to build a new one for it.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've been playing Doom 1 and 2 via GZDoom with the Brutal Doom mod, and gently caress, I don't think there's a better feeling FPS than this, is there? It just feels so satisfying just killing and gibbing things. Vanilla Doom already feels very satisfying, but with Brutal Doom is just pure glee. Rip and tear indeed.
If you like Brutal Doom's gameplay, the Project Brutality mod might also be worth checking out; it's basically a Brutal Doom fork that adds a whole bunch of additional monsters, weapons and miscellaneous stuff. Just be aware that while both mods are technically compatible with most WADs, the majority of WADs are very much not designed for that kind of gameplay, so if things get overly difficult it's not necessarily your or the mapper's fault. There is a dedicated Brutal Doom map-pack, but it doesn't have a particularly good reputation regarding map quality, as far as I know.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Please for the love of God could Bitcoin crash before we get an Elden Ring release date. I built my computer five years ago (upgraded some parts since) but I wanted to build a new one for it.

It'll take either the EU or the US regulating crypto currency, or several whales trying to cash out at once and discovering that the only thing propping up the price are the miners and brokers buying up small transactions and encouraging the rubes to "buy and hold! we're going to the moooooooooooon!"

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Carpator Diei posted:

If you like Brutal Doom's gameplay, the Project Brutality mod might also be worth checking out; it's basically a Brutal Doom fork that adds a whole bunch of additional monsters, weapons and miscellaneous stuff. Just be aware that while both mods are technically compatible with most WADs, the majority of WADs are very much not designed for that kind of gameplay, so if things get overly difficult it's not necessarily your or the mapper's fault. There is a dedicated Brutal Doom map-pack, but it doesn't have a particularly good reputation regarding map quality, as far as I know.

Nice, thanks for the info! I was wondering about Project Brutality too, gonna need to check it out after I'm finished with my current Brutal Doom run.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Carpator Diei posted:

There is a dedicated Brutal Doom map-pack, but it doesn't have a particularly good reputation regarding map quality, as far as I know.

i have played this like three times and it’s very uneven but also very entertaining. check it out imo. although i do feel like as long as i’m endorsing his work i should point out that the brutal doom guy is a notorious racist and rear end in a top hat, so gently caress him. mod’s fun though

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

brutal doom guy is a notorious racist and rear end in a top hat

Goddamnit I didn't know that, what a shame.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

treat posted:

I have a GTX 1060 just laying around in case I ever want to play something at 144hz again (because I buy cheap monitors apparently) and it's nice knowing I have a backup cash fountain in case my car breaks down or something.

I have the same card! Built my current system in 2016.

I just checked the price for the 1060 6gb and :stare:

Hope my system can stay relevant for another 5 years and Crypto finally fucks off (lol it won’t). :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1373712027986751490?s=20

That's right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema