Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

On the plus side Deshaun never kissed his son on the lips while getting a massage

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Multi-Ddimensional Time Traveler Brain: Buzbee is an agent of David Tepper Tom Brady

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There was actuality a story on usatodays sports thing that the Texans normally provide massage therapists but were having issues getting guys access because something something protocol.

Huh, I wouldn't have expected that

Not that it makes flying instagram people in any less shady

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would be curious what y'all want to see in contrast, then, I guess, because a) I don't see how having a story laying out all currently know facts easily accessible is burying something and b) I don't believe for a second ESPN editorial has formed the opinion that all these women are lying and is acting on that and c) even if a and b are true if there's anything here that's real ESPN will simply not be able to bury it so why would they try now? What would represent responsible coverage of this?

Hate to belabor this so much, I think the disconnect, I guess, is with a.) here? Just because something is literally covered in a news story if you dig around a bit, it does not mean it is featured prominently.

Like, imagine if instead, the story was that Deshaun Watson was traded to the Jets. Every 15 minutes or so, ESPN would repeat the story on TV and spend some time discussing it. I would be able to go to espn.com and ctrl+F "watson" and get a result. Every reporter on the NFL beat would have a tweet linking to the story and/or post their take on it. On the NFL landing page, it would occupy the space currently occupied by Richard Sherman, or at least the space by Smith-Schuster or Golladay.

That sort of treatment signals to the audience that a story is important. It's why people make a big deal about what's on the cover of a newspaper or television news spend a lot of time discussing what should be on their "A-block". By doing the absolute bare minimum to cover/promote this story, ESPN is able to truthfully state that they are covering a major news story, but they are artificially depressing the reach a story of this magnitude would ordinarily have.

As to what constitutes responsible coverage, I don't have the exact answer, but it would have to be somewhere between the coverage a Watson trade would have received and what they're doing now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Texans signing Phillip loving Lindsay is featured just as prominently than their superstar QB sexually assaulting 22 women

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's a similar thing happening with draft coverage and Micah Parsons. You have to really dig to find the stuff about his locker room behavior
It's just simply not mentioned even though it might create big problems in the NFL if he tries to pull that in the league.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The women are gonna have to get in front of cameras and tell their stories. They shouldn’t have to but I think they’re basically bring forced to by the inattention at this point.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Intruder posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have expected that

Not that it makes flying instagram people in any less shady

Yeah it's still weird as hell to be flying in people. Makes me wonder what he was getting away with when it comes to the people the team employs really.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I assume all of the investigative reporters for ESPN/SI are down in Houston right now and there’s not more on the front page because these places don’t have sourced stories to report.

There’s no way they’re willfully ignoring this, there’s just nothing to report yet other than what the lawyer says

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would be curious what y'all want to see in contrast, then, I guess, because a) I don't see how having a story laying out all currently know facts easily accessible is burying something and b) I don't believe for a second ESPN editorial has formed the opinion that all these women are lying and is acting on that and c) even if a and b are true if there's anything here that's real ESPN will simply not be able to bury it so why would they try now? What would represent responsible coverage of this?

It's already been stated better, but the issue is in the way it is being covered. The story didnt even hit major news outlets (at least not nationally) until late Friday, which is basically what happens when people want a story to be buried.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The lawyer is doing these women no favors. There are law firms who represented multiple high profile Me Too accusers that would undoubtedly be doing a better job.

Maybe Ronan Farrow is making some calls.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 21, 2021

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
ok panthers, 2 firsts. I think this might be as low as we are willing to go.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

andey

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The lawyer is doing these women no favors. There are law firms who represented multiple high profile Me Too accusers that would undoubtedly be doing a better job.

Maybe Ronan Farrow is making some calls.

i mean, i expect masseuses (nor most people) don't really follow law hierarchy

wouldn't be surprised if the first woman just searched "HOUSTON BEST LAWYER" and buzzbee came up due to that award he won

then once he was handling the first couple plaintiffs he'd end up with all of em since he was the once looking for them and building a case file

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Intruder posted:

Yeah :smith:

Hard to believe that a week ago he was an incredible role model who the team was loving over

I guess they just rubbed him the wrong way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/21/lawyer-will-request-a-grand-jury-to-consider-criminal-charges-against-deshaun-watson/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There’s no way of knowing yet if the lawyer isn’t getting ahead of himself again.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao leaking parts of his defense plan like it's some primetime event.

"The Decision" but for his plea.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I guess they just rubbed him the wrong way.
Watson thought his offseason was going to have a Happy Ending involving a trade to a more competently-run organization, but after having his expectations TAMP'ed by the Houston front office it appears his winter will end in a series of not-so-Hidden Charges.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
ESPN may not be going all in on this because they don't want to piss off the NFL

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nodoze posted:

ESPN may not be going all in on this because they don't want to piss off the NFL
:lol: If Roger Goodell tries to suppress this story

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

:lol: If Roger Goodell tries to suppress this story

It's not about them suppressing it, the NFL just gets butthurt sometimes when their media partners rip them in the media or bring negative attention to them

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Nodoze posted:

It's not about them suppressing it, the NFL just gets butthurt sometimes when their media partners rip them in the media or bring negative attention to them

Remember when PFT had the "Days since an NFL player was arrested" counter which almost never got into double digits. Plus it's in their media partners profit line not to make this big news.

Honestly to me this is worse then Gordon, Vick & Rice. In a fair world, he would never play again. In this one he'll probably play before Josh Gordon ever does again,.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I suspect the sports media is waiting for actual charges to be filed or for something more than social media stuff from Buzbee before they give this more coverage. I think as soon as that happens, ESPN, NFL Network, all the other places and whatnot will start treating it seriously.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fartknocker posted:

I suspect the sports media is waiting for actual charges to be filed or for something more than social media stuff from Buzbee before they give this more coverage. I think as soon as that happens, ESPN, NFL Network, all the other places and whatnot will start treating it seriously.

Deshaun's supposed to give his statement this week, that might do it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

syzpid posted:

Remember when PFT had the "Days since an NFL player was arrested" counter which almost never got into double digits. Plus it's in their media partners profit line not to make this big news.

Honestly to me this is worse then Gordon, Vick & Rice. In a fair world, he would never play again. In this one he'll probably play before Josh Gordon ever does again,.

Easily worse than Josh Gordon cause he's just loving his own life up. Vick and Ray Rice are closer because those are pretty bad for different reasons, but I think what Watsons been doing is still way worse.

It's tough to say whether it's worse than what Hernandez and Carruth did but that becomes a discussion about whether physically abusing and emotionally damaging a lot of people for life is worse than outright killing someone

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

nfl scandal power rankings

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

You guys forgot Ray Lewis murdered someone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

half cocaine posted:

You guys forgot Ray Lewis murdered someone.

To be fair if that happened today and not in 2000 it would probably be different.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Nodoze posted:

Easily worse than Josh Gordon cause he's just loving his own life up. Vick and Ray Rice are closer because those are pretty bad for different reasons, but I think what Watsons been doing is still way worse.

It's tough to say whether it's worse than what Hernandez and Carruth did but that becomes a discussion about whether physically abusing and emotionally damaging a lot of people for life is worse than outright killing someone

I don't mean by any means to diminish the impact that Watson's actions will have had on his victims, but Hernandez very much killed a man.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

syzpid posted:

Is it tho? Gordon, sure. But Vick? Being a fan of a team who has employed both a rapist and a dog killer, I can tell you the strength of the furor over signing Vick as a backup -- several years post his release from prison -- was way more vitriolic than anything that came from Roethlisberger's two known sexual misconduct incidents which were graphically detailed.

This could very well be entirely explained by straight-up racism. But there is also something odd about people's reaction to animal abuse vs violence against women. It's remarkable enough to mention

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

tarbrush posted:

I don't mean by any means to diminish the impact that Watson's actions will have had on his victims, but Hernandez very much killed a man.

I know he did. Is doing what Watson or someone like Bill Cosby did worse than shooting a guy and killing him? Yeah you took his life away but it's not like the other two didn't in their own way either. It's a weird moral discussion

Vick got so much hatred because a lot of people can rationalize crimes against a person but not anything involving animals because they are largely seen as innocent whereas a person might have done something to "deserve it" at some point

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Carruth and Hernandez are worse

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'd put Watson on the same level as Kellen Winslow Jr.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

DJ Chark doo doo doo doo doo doo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

half cocaine posted:

Hmm where is this on your criminal acts tier list?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

the thing about winslows level is he gets access to a stamina/dexterity boost which can increase his dps

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

dm: *sigh* fine, roll for initiative
carruth: sorry im laying down someone else roll for me

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

D-LINK posted:

Is it tho? Gordon, sure. But Vick? Being a fan of a team who has employed both a rapist and a dog killer, I can tell you the strength of the furor over signing Vick as a backup -- several years post his release from prison -- was way more vitriolic than anything that came from Roethlisberger's two known sexual misconduct incidents which were graphically detailed.

This could very well be entirely explained by straight-up racism. But there is also something odd about people's reaction to animal abuse vs violence against women. It's remarkable enough to mention

Yeah, the Michael Vick dog fighting thing was a massive story that was covered by every major media outlet as basically their #1 story when that broke in 2007 and even people who didn't give a poo poo about football were following it and commenting on it. How big that was at the time really can't be understated. The only NFL-related stuff that I can recall getting a similar level of attention since then was Aaron Hernandez in 2013, which obviously was a murder investigation and the subsequent trial and everything related to it went on for a while, and for a briefer period of coverage, Ray Rice, which only really blew up a week or so after the initial reports when the video of the incident came out.

The Roethlisberger incidents weren't covered to nearly that extent. I had to look up when they occurred and were reported; the stories came out in July 2009 and March 2010. I don't think they got the same level of national news coverage, and I honestly can't recall ESPN or NFL Network spending much time on them, and that was still the era where I'd usually have the former on as background noise almost 24/7.

As you said at the end, it could all be straight up racism. There is also still the fact that this is all developing, as the initial stuff against Watson is still less than a week old and really wasn't taken seriously based on Buzbee during that first 24 hours or so. The Hernandez thing had like a week or so between when his house was searched and when he was arrested and charged, and even the second post in the ol' Hernandez thread noted it was just a small side column on ESPN's website while his house was being searched, and that was after some details had already started coming out. This might be massive in a few days when Watson's statement comes out, it might be nothing. Can't say yet.

half cocaine posted:

And FWIW, that was another horrible story that got very little coverage, but obviously there is a massive difference in Watson's status (A top tier QB on the rise, subject of trade rumors and all that) and where Winslow Jr was (Last played in 2013, all the stories started coming out in horrible detail around 2018).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hernandez also in all likelihood killed 3 men. And who knows what was covered up in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Tebow knows.