Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah you can image the drive it's running from. I think it makes use of the volume shadow copy stuff windows has been able to do since Win7 (or maybe vista but I never used it) that allows it to copy in use files.

I can't believe how fast it was. Reflect took all of 3 hours to image my entire C drive. When I did it with HDD Raw Copy Tool or whatever the HDD Guru program is, it literally took 2 days. How the hell could it be that much faster??

Also I noticed the image came in at 493gb, but looking at my C:, it's using up 682gb. I am guessing (hoping) this is just some sort of compression going on and not that it missed 200gb of data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I can't believe how fast it was. Reflect took all of 3 hours to image my entire C drive. When I did it with HDD Raw Copy Tool or whatever the HDD Guru program is, it literally took 2 days. How the hell could it be that much faster??

The key is in the name

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It would be handy if you could have different wallpapers or even different shortcuts on each virtual desktop.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It would be handy if you could have different wallpapers or even different shortcuts on each virtual desktop.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/03/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-21337/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lol was that literally posted today?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Unfortunately this is just to change the wallpaper. I agree, different desktop icons/files/shortcuts would be nice too. Sometimes my kids want to use my computer and I'd prefer it if I could open a new desktop for them and not having show all the stupid crap I have installed.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Unfortunately this is just to change the wallpaper. I agree, different desktop icons/files/shortcuts would be nice too. Sometimes my kids want to use my computer and I'd prefer it if I could open a new desktop for them and not having show all the stupid crap I have installed.

Windows has had multiple user accounts for decades. Make a limited passwordless user account for them.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

oh yeah lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hey all, my wife's Window's 10 laptop has been running very poorly the past few days. Opening a program takes forever, opening explorer windows often has to be forced closed, etc. I tried to run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" in both PowerShell and a command prompt, and both times it just sits there doing nothing.

I thought maybe something went wonky out of nowhere with her SSD so I ran the Samsung Magician software and this is what it said:

I'm no expert but that write speed is abysmal and could be causing this, right? I would imagine that number should be at least 10 times higher, right?

If so is this just the SSD dying on us, or could something else cause it (like an errant program running in the background that would also give results like this)?

The drive seems to pass all SMART tests just fine so I don't know what to think.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Could be the drive, or the controller on the motherboard.

Out of curiosity, what is the temp. of the system? Could it be an obstructed fan and the system is thermal throttling?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Koskun posted:

Could be the drive, or the controller on the motherboard.

Out of curiosity, what is the temp. of the system? Could it be an obstructed fan and the system is thermal throttling?

Thanks for the reply! I don't think it's the controller because it's a ThinkPad with two SATA hard drives and the other drive (mechanical) has normal speeds for a mechanical drive.

The temps seem fine, thank you for the suggestion though.

The weird thing is I just enabled something called "RAPID mode" in Samsung Magician, and then rebooted. Now the computer is flying again, with no errors or lockups. I ran the test again and am getting 540/385 instead of 543/5.

But the weird thing is Samsung Magician is giving this error:

So the thing isn't even enabled, but it somehow fixed it? Unless the reboot somehow fixed the issue. Though that doesn't make sense either because 5 previous reboots (before turning RAPID on) didn't fix anything.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
If it happens again, open performance monitor and move to the disks tab and look for poo poo flooding the drive with writes

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The weird thing is I just enabled something called "RAPID mode" in Samsung Magician, and then rebooted. Now the computer is flying again, with no errors or lockups. I ran the test again and am getting 540/385 instead of 543/5.

RAPID uses system RAM memory as a drive cache, which means your drive appears to be crazy fast. This is just masking whatever problem is causing the abysmal write performance. While troubleshooting the drive, you should leave it off.

(Also IMO I would leave that off in general. Write caching in RAM means you have much more chance of data loss from power loss or hard crashes -- anything that got put in RAM but not written to the drive is gone.)

If so is this just the SSD dying on us, or could something else cause it (like an errant program running in the background that would also give results like this)?

The drive seems to pass all SMART tests just fine so I don't know what to think.

Errant program running in the background would show up on windows task manager. There's a column for disk activity. So if this is happening you can look at that (hit more detail if task manager is just a tiny list with no detail). If windows is trying to do an update in the background it can consume a lot of disk writes.

#1 - check that TRIM is enabled in windows. If TRIM is disabled, or the windows drive optimizer (what used to be defrag) has been disabled, and the SSD is never getting trimmed, it can have major performance impact especially with writes.

tldr The drive fills up with garbage data and has to use its own garbage collector to sort out where new writes can go. Trim is how the OS can tell the drive what is garbage that it can throw out right away.

#2 Was the SMART tests just the stuff in samsung magician, or another program too? You could download CrystalDiskInfo here to see the raw SMART info, just to see if the drive is reporting errors that magician thinks are not high enough to warrant a warning.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

namlosh posted:

If it happens again, open performance monitor and move to the disks tab and look for poo poo flooding the drive with writes

Klyith posted:

RAPID uses system RAM memory as a drive cache, which means your drive appears to be crazy fast. This is just masking whatever problem is causing the abysmal write performance. While troubleshooting the drive, you should leave it off.

(Also IMO I would leave that off in general. Write caching in RAM means you have much more chance of data loss from power loss or hard crashes -- anything that got put in RAM but not written to the drive is gone.)

Errant program running in the background would show up on windows task manager. There's a column for disk activity. So if this is happening you can look at that (hit more detail if task manager is just a tiny list with no detail). If windows is trying to do an update in the background it can consume a lot of disk writes.

#1 - check that TRIM is enabled in windows. If TRIM is disabled, or the windows drive optimizer (what used to be defrag) has been disabled, and the SSD is never getting trimmed, it can have major performance impact especially with writes.

tldr The drive fills up with garbage data and has to use its own garbage collector to sort out where new writes can go. Trim is how the OS can tell the drive what is garbage that it can throw out right away.

#2 Was the SMART tests just the stuff in samsung magician, or another program too? You could download CrystalDiskInfo here to see the raw SMART info, just to see if the drive is reporting errors that magician thinks are not high enough to warrant a warning.

Thanks a ton! I wasn't aware of the disk writing thing in Task Manager even though I'm in Task Manager all the time. I appreciate the tip! I guess I never looked there before.

I'll disable RAPID. Trim is in fact enabled. I have no clue what caused this to rear its ugly head seemingly out of nowhere. The SMART test thing was from Magician, but I will check in another program too.

I actually can't even believe the computer even started with a write speed of 5mbps.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks for the trick on changing inactive menu bar. Windows 10 looks nearly perfect by default but that bright white doesn't read as inactive at all, especially when it's brighter than normal color for active window. Changing it to a grey makes it look correct again.

quote:

Notepad is now updateable via the Microsoft Store outside major OS updates. It also has a new icon and has been promoted out of the Windows Accessories folder to its own place in the Start menu.

Yeah I bet it was real frustrating before trying to update Notepad in those common scenarios where you refuse to update the OS and for some reason desperately need updates to a program that works just like it did in 1995.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I bet it was real frustrating before trying to update Notepad in those common scenarios where you refuse to update the OS and for some reason desperately need updates to a program that works just like it did in 1995.

Gotta integrate Bing search into it somehow!
At least they finally added support for the other flavors of new line, instead of showing it all on a single line if a Unix style new line is in there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also they patched in an option for Find to cycle through the document.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Khanstant posted:

Thanks for the trick on changing inactive menu bar. Windows 10 looks nearly perfect by default but that bright white doesn't read as inactive at all, especially when it's brighter than normal color for active window. Changing it to a grey makes it look correct again.

Everything MS Store on my main machine is totally broken. Like, the Nvidia control panel shifted to the Store and now can't be opened from the taskbar icon and it throws an error on Windows start. Reinstalling does nothing. I dread anything important going to the Store.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Everything MS Store on my main machine is totally broken. Like, the Nvidia control panel shifted to the Store and now can't be opened from the taskbar icon and it throws an error on Windows start. Reinstalling does nothing. I dread anything important going to the Store.

Meanwhile on my system, which was having the same problems a month ago:

Klyith posted:

lol all the UWP apps on my PC have poo poo themselves again:

Everything on that list is unable to update or be removed, and most of them can't even run.

Three days ago it mysteriously fixed itself.

I did nothing, my last normal windows update was on the 11th, there's zero reason for them to suddenly work on the 17th. I had stopped trying to fix anything weeks ago and had put an in-place upgrade on my eventual to-do list. I don't even know what's happening anymore.
:psypop:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What's the best utility for mirroring five ancient low capacity hard drives into folders on a new USB drive?

ie i have 5 old computers and my buddy asked me to get the data if possible, so i want

D:/OldDrive1
D:/OldDrive2

and so on

asking here because i need a windows utility

edit: nvm i see i might try Macrium Reflect

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 20, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deviant posted:

What's the best utility for mirroring five ancient low capacity hard drives into folders on a new USB drive?

ie i have 5 old computers and my buddy asked me to get the data if possible, so i want

D:/OldDrive1
D:/OldDrive2

and so on

Robocopy

when copying a full drive it's helpful to do things like exclude the recycle bin & ntfs system folder, like so:

robocopy E:\ D:\OldDrive1 /E /B /DCOPY:T /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information" /NP /LOG:logfile.log /TEE

/B - backup mode which ignores permissions (needs an admin command prompt)
/DCOPY:T - copies the original date on folders
/XD - excludes directories, add more if you have stuff on drives that you don't want copied
/NP /LOG:logfile.log /TEE - logging, with large copies it's useful to log to file, so if anything fails you can review it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Klyith posted:

Robocopy

when copying a full drive it's helpful to do things like exclude the recycle bin & ntfs system folder, like so:

robocopy E:\ D:\OldDrive1 /E /B /DCOPY:T /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information" /NP /LOG:logfile.log /TEE

/B - backup mode which ignores permissions (needs an admin command prompt)
/DCOPY:T - copies the original date on folders
/XD - excludes directories, add more if you have stuff on drives that you don't want copied
/NP /LOG:logfile.log /TEE - logging, with large copies it's useful to log to file, so if anything fails you can review it

Ok, what would be the syntax to include _EVERYTHING_, bin, ntfs folder, etc? I was very clear that this guy was getting everything and i do not want to sort through it.

so far i have
code:
robocopy /b/e G: F:\Name\Drive1
Edit: nvm, i think i see what you're getting at.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 20, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deviant posted:

Ok, what would be the syntax to include _EVERYTHING_, bin, ntfs folder, etc? I was very clear that this guy was getting everything and i do not want to sort through it.

so far i have
code:
robocopy /b/e G: F:\Name\Drive1
Edit: nvm, i think i see what you're getting at.

Yeah basically the $recycle.bin is the trash folder, but it's not a normal folder and isn't easily usable when copied elsewhere. Like, you can copy it, and you could dig into it to pull stuff from the old trash, but it won't just show up accessible in the normal recycling bin on the desktop. If you want to get EVERYTHING you can copy it over though. Your buddy will probably need to look up a guide to get data out of it, if he cares.

System Volume Information is not user data at all, is totally meaningless when copied, and you should always exclude it.

IMO it's good to exclude these folders when doing plain file copy backups because they make restoring more difficult. Like, if you have a $recycle.bin in the backup you can't just ctrl-a & drag to the root of a new drive, because windows will throw a fit about you trying to overwrite another drive's system folders.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can use Disk2vhd to make a VHD (Virtual Harddisk file) from any connected disk or partition. Windows can natively mount VHD files as a drive too, so after you have the VHD file you can send it to someone else, they can mount it, and it'd be as if they had connected the original physical drive to their machine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

got it from there and yeah he doesnt need his recycle bin as far as i can tell

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Unless it's a boot drive what would be the motivation to clone rather than copy?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This new patch loving up printing is loving up my poo poo for real. People at work can't print checks now. Removing the March CU doesn't fix it. None of the new patches from Microsoft fixes it. Might be giving them new machines where my image is from last year and turn off Windows Update.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

This new patch loving up printing is loving up my poo poo for real. People at work can't print checks now. Removing the March CU doesn't fix it. None of the new patches from Microsoft fixes it. Might be giving them new machines where my image is from last year and turn off Windows Update.

Oh wow, I didn't know this was a thing. Yeah for the first time since I got this Canon laserjet printer 4 years ago, it just started failing at printing like two days ago and I could not figure out what the hell was going on since we changed nothing in my home. At least because of your post I now know why.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I usually check AskWoody.com for post-patch hysteria to calm down before I let Windows update my machine. Not always, those guys are like oddball computer preppers, but in cases like this, yeah. I print things.

Their advice, and advice I've seen echoed in this thread (I think) is: update when the involuntary beta testers work it out, then pause Windows update for the maximum, which takes you decently past Patch Tuesday.

This is not advice, nor necessarily advisable, but I will also sometimes disable Update altogether on the personal/work PC that I have complete control over.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It still baffles me how bad printing has been on Windows 10. But not on every machine. I have a couple Windows 10 installs which are fine with printing, one that can be iffy, and one that is turbofucked. This is before the latest patch.

I don't print much or often, but am glad that I also have Linux machines which, weirdly, have no problems with printing at all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't print much or often, but am glad that I also have Linux machines which, weirdly, have no problems with printing at all.

CUPS is..thankfully a lot better than it used to be.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

CUPS is..thankfully a lot better than it used to be.

Yeah, it's weird to say but at this moment in time Linux printing is more painless than Windows or Mac.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh god please don't remind me about mac printing

loving christ

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenNight posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know this was a thing. Yeah for the first time since I got this Canon laserjet printer 4 years ago, it just started failing at printing like two days ago and I could not figure out what the hell was going on since we changed nothing in my home. At least because of your post I now know why.

So the last cumulative update had a bug that caused a bluescreen if you tried to print with printers that used a particular driver ("KX driver for Universal printing").

To fix it they put out an emergency patch. Which stopped the bluescreen, but caused print failures in general on all sorts of printers. You want to remove KB5001567 or KB5001566 to make printing work again (assuming you don't have a printer that uses the bluescreening driver).

To fix that they put out another patch, but it apparently fails to install on most affected systems so they've pulled / slowed the rollout.

Next they're going to swallow a dog to catch the cat...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Personally I'm glad I haven't owned a printer for nearly a decade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Klyith posted:

So the last cumulative update had a bug that caused a bluescreen if you tried to print with printers that used a particular driver ("KX driver for Universal printing").

To fix it they put out an emergency patch. Which stopped the bluescreen, but caused print failures in general on all sorts of printers. You want to remove KB5001567 or KB5001566 to make printing work again (assuming you don't have a printer that uses the bluescreening driver).

To fix that they put out another patch, but it apparently fails to install on most affected systems so they've pulled / slowed the rollout.

Next they're going to swallow a dog to catch the cat...

I don't see either one of these patches installed nor do I see them in WSUS. Crazy.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I always find amusing how they can fuckup a pretty basic OS feature. You would think that something like printing is a solved problem, or file sharing or search even.

Nope, always new and spectacular ways to break stuff.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I always find amusing how they can fuckup a pretty basic OS feature. You would think that something like printing is a solved problem, or file sharing or search even.

Stuff you think is easy and solved is usually neither of those.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Windows printing seems pretty ancient and weird. Maybe they could redesign it but that would probably break stuff as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This actually falls way more on the shoulders of printer manufacturers and their colossally lovely software practices.