Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who hasn't seen it I have to ask, what's the explanation for Martian Manhunter not helping out all those other times the world almost ended?

If that bothers you I highly recommend you never watch the CW Supergirl series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah I dunno, real chicken/egg conversation to me. I feel like tackling why Thanos' plan wouldn't work means The Avengers are ok with losing half of the life in the universe as long as they went toward a plan that would work. Ultimately the lives are the most important thing. "We don't trade lives, Captain" and all that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How about just use the gauntlet to lower fertility rates if you're so stuck on overpopulation being the issue.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think anyone thinks the films endorse Thanos, just that their approach is muddled. Thanos is portrayed as ruthless, not delusional; the problem with his plan is the price is too high, not that his plan neither makes sense nor relates to reality. there is time to pick out the upsides (however slight) but not enough for anyone to explicitly reject his premises. possibly the writers are trying to ground a character in a real ideology and didn't think much further; possibly the writers actually think Malthusian theory is valid even if it doesn't justify genocide; possibly they're just aware that if you start picking holes in Thanos' argument, someone might ask "why not use the wishing glove to make infinite everything" and the whole thing falls apart
I thought this was obliquely addressed with Thanos's statements that when he proposed this plan on Titan they called him insane and that he expected the sun to rise on a grateful universe once his plan was enacted. He wants to do the Snap to prove He Was Right and to make everyone acknowledge that He Was Right. It's a fundamentally irrational plan by an irrational person who has utterly convinced themselves of their logic and trying to reason with him is pointless.

I do think that ties into the narcissistic breakdown referenced in this thread as well, which Thanos is more explicit about. 2014 Thanos sees the response to his work and instead of his righteousness being acknowledged, everyone thinks he's a monster (just like his fellow Titans once did). It's an utter refutation of the central delusion his madness is built on and he can't stand it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
#Release the un-desaturated snydercut

Lurdiak posted:

How about just use the gauntlet to lower fertility rates if you're so stuck on overpopulation being the issue.

How about just give people fusion power, or quadruple the resources, or eliminate all existing pollution, or, or, or

site fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 21, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Release a build your own cut Justice Leage

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Peyote Panda posted:

I thought this was obliquely addressed with Thanos's statements that when he proposed this plan on Titan they called him insane and that he expected the sun to rise on a grateful universe once his plan was enacted. He wants to do the Snap to prove He Was Right and to make everyone acknowledge that He Was Right. It's a fundamentally irrational plan by an irrational person who has utterly convinced themselves of their logic and trying to reason with him is pointless.

I do think that ties into the narcissistic breakdown referenced in this thread as well, which Thanos is more explicit about. 2014 Thanos sees the response to his work and instead of his righteousness being acknowledged, everyone thinks he's a monster (just like his fellow Titans once did). It's an utter refutation of the central delusion his madness is built on and he can't stand it.
IMO some of the best villains are the ones that think they're heroes, which I think is why Thanos works well. I appreciated that they just let him put forward his twisted logic with the understanding that the audience is not going to sympathize with him, but that they will at least understand his motivation. It's a decent change from most of the villains being very mustache-twirling at times other than a very small few.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That’s why Loki is best, because he is the hero of the first half of Thor. He’s unambiguously right to be doing what he’s doing, and his heel turn comes because of everyone else making GBS threads on him, not because his premise or methods are revealed to be wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Because then you just get krogans trying to destroy everything

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
14 hours later I have finished the Snyder cut. I hear they are going to do it in black and white, my only question is “how could you tell?”

Movie is better than the theatrical release but it’s still a piss soaked color washed miserable slog, and now Superman is in a black costume because m’edge.

Honestly it needs another cut, that washed away the god awful color wash, and chops away dumb poo poo like women singing bjork at aqua man, and generally trims down several dozen 20 minute long scenes down to say... five. Removing the whedonisms was good, the entire nightmare scene was stupid, and the inclusion of Martian man hunter was pointless. They could have wrapped the whole thing at the JLA clubhouse purchase.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The nightmare scene gave me some pause. Are they actually saying that if Lois dies Superman will go nuts and start killing everyone? Like that's a pretty intense indictment of Superman, that he's such an emotional trainwreck that he can't just grieve like the rest of us. Good thing he didn't do this when Pa Kent died.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

theironjef posted:

The nightmare scene gave me some pause. Are they actually saying that if Lois dies Superman will go nuts and start killing everyone? Like that's a pretty intense indictment of Superman, that he's such an emotional trainwreck that he can't just grieve like the rest of us. Good thing he didn't do this when Pa Kent died.

I don't think succumbing to Anti-Life because you were brainwashed by the God of Nihilism is quite the same as normal grieving

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The implication is that he's open to being corrupted by the anti life equation in his moment of grief.

But evil Superman stories are overdone nowadays.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's better than the original version, but you could still cut an hour and lose nothing. And you could probably cut an hour and a half and lose very, very little.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Edit:^^ Apparently my take is not particularly uncommon!

Saw it, way better then the theatrical cut but you could cut an hour off the runtime and have a basically superior film, because you need one less bathroom break to get through it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zzulu posted:

What is this revolution people speak of though? Who is going to rise up against who exactly? Killmonger wanted to conquer the entire world by force. He wanted to kill anyone who refused this new world order. He was not altruistic in any way. He used the idea of "the oppressed" rising up as an excuse to start a global conquest where every nation on earth would have to submit to Wakanda or be destroyed

Oppressed South Africans who still live under apartheid in everything but name could get their rightful owed property and better living conditions instead of being forced to live in tin shacks, as a direct example.

Wakanda has the power to fix the problems that colonialism caused to black people worldwide to a large degree; at the very least take a chunk out of it. And some of it would be done in a way that makes some people uncomfortable if you want to help people right at this moment.

This stance is exaggerated by the villain as "rule everyone" and made cartoony instead of being given the weight it was needed. With the resolution of the hero being "I understand, we will build community centers in the hood" (because that's the safest possible liberal approach to "solving" issues like that).

The obvious fix would be TChalla wanting to use Wakandas power to reverse affect colonialism, not violently, but in other ways - and have the CIA help their operative Killmonger to overthrow TChalla to install a more status quo friendly king because they fear the power structure being affected in America.

All of the elements are even there for that; its almost baffling that wasn't the plot since it mirrors real life...were it not a Disney movie that had similar issues with Rogue Ones depiction of a terrorist protagonist.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

theironjef posted:

In Injustice it's Superman himself who killed Lois, due to a plan put in motion by the Joker. Wouldn't be surprised if some angle like that was the plan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Joker also mentions that Clark’s child is dead as well, so it’s not just Lois. It’s the loss of his whole family, which makes him weak and vulnerable to exploitation from Darkseid.

It’s still a dumb and contrived way to get Evil Superman, but the movie lays just enough groundwork to make it plausible.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The anti-life equation removes free will. I interpreted it as Superman falling to its influence and becoming a lackey of Darkside. There is that short scene of Superman looking distraught with a corpse in his arms and Darkseid puts his hand on his shoulder.

So it's less Superman going berskerk because he's sad and more Superman being corrupted at his weakest and joining Darkside

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

theironjef posted:

It's too bad the movie doesn't explain what the anti life equation is at all because (having watched injustice recently) this is how I read it too

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It sucks that they already did the whole “Batman loses his cool and plans for/enacts ways to kill Superman” plot, considering he’s still going to go evil in the future regardless. A Tower of Babel adaptation would’ve been really cool as a second or third JL film to fracture the team just before Apokalips invades, it’s almost like having Batman try to kill Superman right out of the gate was an idiotic plot beat.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I can't believe there's a 4-hour Justice League movie and it's not an adaptation of Kingdom Come, New Frontier or even Rock Of Ages but a plot that would be, maybe a 3
parter in JL Animated.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

I can't believe there's a 4-hour Justice League movie and it's not an adaptation of Kingdom Come, New Frontier or even Rock Of Ages but a plot that would be, maybe a 3
parter in JL Animated.

Darkseid is a bigger story than anything you named. The animated series took literal years of setup before they did a similar version of this stuff.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Darkseid is a bigger story than anything you named. The animated series took literal years of setup before they did a similar version of this stuff.

Yeah and it was better, but what I'm saying is, it's nuts that there's a 4 hour Justice League movie and it's plot is pretty much the first Avengers movie
(plus Superman resurrection) instead of trying to adapt Final Crisis or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah and it was better, but what I'm saying is, it's nuts that there's a 4 hour Justice League movie and it's plot is pretty much the first Avengers movie
(plus Superman resurrection) instead of trying to adapt Final Crisis or something.

I feel like we would have seen a bit of influence from final crisis in the finale to this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

IMO some of the best villains are the ones that think they're heroes

This is, fundamentally, why Cape Fear works: Max Cady believes he was legitimately wronged, and that his defense was intentionally torpedoed, by Sam Bowden. Now, obviously, the audience isn't meant to see Max as the good guy or anything, he's a completely deranged psychopath, I'm saying that his character works because he completely buys into what he's selling.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Timby posted:

This is, fundamentally, why Cape Fear works: Max Cady believes he was legitimately wronged, and that his defense was intentionally torpedoed, by Sam Bowden. Now, obviously, the audience isn't meant to see Max as the good guy or anything, he's a completely deranged psychopath, I'm saying that his character works because he completely buys into what he's selling.

It speaks to how well a villain works when they have an internal logic to them. Francis Dolarhyde is compelling because you can understand how he got to be the way he is; he’s not sympathetic but the audience can commiserate with feeling alone and outcast and abused, and you’d almost feel bad for him until he starts murdering families and putting mirrors in their eyes.

Compare this to Lizard from Amazing Spider-Man, who just goes crazy and wants to turn everybody into Goombas like him. There’s no structure to him, he was just the villain out of necessity because Spider-Man needs to punch somebody, and he’s a hollow and forgettable character as a result.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jiro posted:

Am I the only one that was hoping that the way Flash runs in the movie was a Whedon thing and that he would look a bit more normal running for the Snyder version?
I think the thing people are not getting here about his run is that it looks like it's directly influenced by some kind of zen meditation/Tai chi poo poo where his movements are fluid.

Like, I can see an explanation that goes running like the T-1000 would be incredibly damaging to himself/cause Shockwaves because you're chopping a limb up and down at supervelocities. Just look at his intro scene: his shoes disintegrate because they can't handle the torsion/friction that comes from him pivoting, then he gingerly walks across the street and when he starts stopping his feet dig into the street.

I know it's weird but I like the look. Like he's gliding through things.
Skating the infinite comes to mind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah looked like ice skating to me

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Looked dumb, to me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Usually when I see a superspeed sequence the speedster activity looks pretty effortless, but the Flash in this using the high end of superspeed really does look like it requires a ton of effort and focus, and I really like that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zzulu posted:

Looked dumb, to me
Being kind of unnatural is the purpose. It shows intentionality, training, focus.

Else you get this:

And

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the ice skating stuff looks bad, but then again the moment where he stops all that falling debris is probably my favourite depiction of super speed ever so it's a mixed bag

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karloff posted:

I think the ice skating stuff looks bad, but then again the moment where he stops all that falling debris is probably my favourite depiction of super speed ever so it's a mixed bag

For me it's still the Quicksilver sequence in Days of Future Past, but this is still really, really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This poo poo was figured out 40 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually think that the Sonic movie actually did super speed fairly well but it had the advantage of being about a cartoon hedgehog so the goofy elements didn't stand out as much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think a fear of looking goofy is what keeps most modern speed effects from looking any good. No one wants to do the cg equivalent of animation smears to really sell it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Karloff posted:

Yeah the little flashes (ha!) you see of him mid-stride from the hostage POV are excellent. It’s too bad Miller sucks and their Barry is obnoxious because I thought the Flash action bits were some of the better parts of the finale.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 21, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lurdiak posted:

I think a fear of looking goofy is what keeps most modern speed effects from looking any good. No one wants to do the cg equivalent of animation smears to really sell it.

Not one of Al Jaffe's best Fold-Ins, I've got to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.