Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gimme some ancientbark tiled roof pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are there any practical means to retrieving wrecked boat materials in semi deep water? I’m assuming I’m going raising up the sea floor and hoping the 100 iron nails or whatever haven’t despawned. I’m happy I was at least able to retrieve the cargo pretty easily.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gimme some ancientbark tiled roof pieces.

When I reshingled mybroof a few years ago half the colors were variations of 'weathered bark'. Ancient bark would definately not be out of place

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Warbird posted:

Are there any practical means to retrieving wrecked boat materials in semi deep water? I’m assuming I’m going raising up the sea floor and hoping the 100 iron nails or whatever haven’t despawned. I’m happy I was at least able to retrieve the cargo pretty easily.

I've heard if you sit on a boat and have someone push you off you will sink to the bottom of the sea (and not drown). Perhaps you can do this and pick it up before you float up?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've heard that if you're sitting you'll sink all the way to the bottom. Either by someone shoving you off the side of a boat, or making a platform and breaking the supports, then sitting before the part you're on collapses.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
you can also jump into the water from a tall structure, so make like 4 ladders and jump off.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
All I need to build with stone is the two iron ingots, and I can gather the rest where I settle right?

Should I go for an iron axe or iron pickaxe? Do either of them gather resources faster?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Iron pickaxe is the highest level pickaxe and the only thing that can mine silver and obsidian so it's definitely he first priority.

As a downside though it can only be repaired on a level 2 forge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The advantage to iron tools is durability, with a max upgraded pickaxe you'll be overweight on ore before it breaks so it's nice to reduce trips to a workbench. Axe is less important but if you got surplus iron at some point you might as well upgrade it.

So if you don't care about durability stick with bronze or in-upgraded tools.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sanctum posted:

All I need to build with stone is the two iron ingots, and I can gather the rest where I settle right?

Should I go for an iron axe or iron pickaxe? Do either of them gather resources faster?

Correct.

Iron tools both gather faster and last longer. For mining Iron the faster gather doesn't much matter though, since muddy scrap is so soft.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My friend that I play with is a mad scientist. Can anyone guess what is going on in this picture?

Some tips re: mountain biome, based on our experience -

If you have a choice of mountains to explore and find your first silver, choose the one that looks/seems largest. We went through literally FOUR small mountain biomes without any silver before hitting the current one where we have a dozen or more silver veins. If you find one that looks like a massive fortress with steep walls rising up into the sky, that's a good bet. If it looks like just the white tip of a mountain then spend your effort elsewhere if there are alternatives.

When mining silver, consider using my friend's method. Bring both the iron pickaxe as well as an antler or bronze one. Do your initial prospecting with the antler or bronze. Since it can only uncover but not mine the silver, you can "sculpt away" the rock leaving the silver and expose the entire vein which is pretty much always in the shape of a 3 pointed star (like the center of a Mercedes Benz hood ornament). This allows you to see the entire vein and know when you're done. It also allows you to see if you've happened upon some silver in an adjacent vein, which has happened to us once or twice. If I hadn't laid the vein I was working on bare, I would have thought the little bit of silver that didn't seem connected was part of the same vein, but digging around it found a whole other vein.

When dealing with wolves, I've found that melee (iron mace specifically for me, then Frostner once available) and shield usage to be the overall best approach. Though wolf attacks can be parried, it's not necessary for effective shield usage. Just getting a block up early protects you from most or all of a wolf attack and leaves the wolf wide open for your counteratttack. The wolf seems to get easily stunned after a block or a hit and this stun lasts for quite some time so you can carefullly line up your strike. A good banded shield seems to do quite well against wolf attacks.

This gets to the other issue of fighting wolves in the mountains. Often times the wolves are at a different level, above you, and you can lose all your stamina swinging wildly at them and not be able to get a hit because you're at an awkward angle. If this is happening to you, recognize it early and don't continue to swing in this situation. You are better off just running to a lower or more level area where you can engage the wolf effectively from the same height.

We've also found that having a chest with an emergency body recovery set including some good food, an anti frost potion and/or a spare wolf cape is good to have in the mountains.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The major drawback of spears, in the end, is that I keep throwing them into the goddamn ocean.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Good. gently caress the ocean. It deserves it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

As in Spear 100? Did you console your way to that point? It's not exactly common or representative either way.

And Lox die to the same combo with Porcupine (and like 3 parry combos with the sword). Possibly less if you cheese your skills up, I have Sword ~40 and Clubs ~30 I think.

My spear level is at ~50 or so, sorry I misinterpreted. The weapon was upgraded to max level, is what I meant.

A buddy in my server left his fully upgraded Porcupine in a chest earlier today and it honestly felt like the damage output was still quite a bit lower than the Fang Spear when fighting Lox, mostly due to the fact that it attacks much more slowly and that the lionshare of the damage comes on the third hit of the combo. The spear just trucks all the time so it has more flexibility if you only have the stamina for a hit or two instead of all three. The trade off is that Porcupine is a lot more diverse of a damage profile because it has two good damage types. So I totally understand why people like it. But for me Fang Spear combo'd with parry abuse and Frostner in tow for larger groups is the sweet spot. I should mention I haven't even tried the Black Metal Sword yet simply because I think it looks stupid. (I wore the Troll Hood until I crafted Padded Armor for the same reason :banjo:)

Sanctum posted:

Also remember that you only need a single stonecutter at any location. Just destroy it, pick up the materials and move it anywhere you want it. Most people know this stuff by now, but it is really hard to get used to destroying your stations that you spent good materials building. Especially if you're coming from other survival games.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 21, 2021

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I have a weird thing where I remember I can move, like, stonecutters and stuff for free but I’ll drop a smelter and then be frown about its position for a week as tho I couldn’t just move that too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fennesz posted:

I should mention I haven't even tried the Black Metal Sword yet simply because I think it looks stupid.

You're not wrong about that. If I thought I was going to spending much more time with this game I would absolutely replace the textures with those of a marginally greener iron sword and shield. Those have the look perfect, trying to metal it up with chains and weird shapes is just silly.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finished the fourth boss and made my way to the plains. Holy poo poo it sucks when I get mobbed by 10+ fulings at their little villages.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Shoot them, you'll only pull a couple at a time. Until you shoot them enough that you get enough skill that you just murder them in one hit then they don't bother coming out to investigate anymore.

Then you get enough skill that you just don't care what they do because you're machine gunning arrows in there so fast even legolas asks you to slow down cause you're making him look bad

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Example of two adjacent (and partially interlocking) silver veins, exposed and dissected out from the surrounding earth and rock using mainly the antler pickaxe, and then mined with an iron pickaxe.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've spent enough time in the mountains to upgrade to silver/wolf gear and am ready to move on. I've found a few runestones, but none that pointed me toward a boss. I also grab dragon eggs whenever I find them because they seem important even though I don't know what they do yet. Can I get a general hint about what to do to move things along?

Also, is it possible for the trader to not spawn anywhere on a map? I've spent a decent amount of time in two worlds and haven't seen him yet. Would just sailing around for awhile be enough to find him, or do I need to explore every Black Forest I come across and hope I get lucky?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

BrianRx posted:

I've spent enough time in the mountains to upgrade to silver/wolf gear and am ready to move on. I've found a few runestones, but none that pointed me toward a boss. I also grab dragon eggs whenever I find them because they seem important even though I don't know what they do yet. Can I get a general hint about what to do to move things along?

Also, is it possible for the trader to not spawn anywhere on a map? I've spent a decent amount of time in two worlds and haven't seen him yet. Would just sailing around for awhile be enough to find him, or do I need to explore every Black Forest I come across and hope I get lucky?

The runestone that reveals the location of the fourth boss won't be one of the ones you come across in an open area. It will be in or near a ruined tower, usually draugr around as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Phigs posted:

Iron pickaxe is the highest level pickaxe and the only thing that can mine silver and obsidian so it's definitely he first priority.

As a downside though it can only be repaired on a level 2 forge.

that is a downside but i wouldn't say it's a particularly huge downside. in the use case of wanting to set up a forge near where you're mining, the biggest pain'll always be the copper imo. you can haul sharpening stones around and through portals pretty much at will as soon as your have your first stonecutter set up

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Example of two adjacent (and partially interlocking) silver veins, exposed and dissected out from the surrounding earth and rock using mainly the antler pickaxe, and then mined with an iron pickaxe.

Oh this might not be a bad idea to get the full vein exposed before mangling the terrain, nice

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Azhais posted:

Shoot them, you'll only pull a couple at a time. Until you shoot them enough that you get enough skill that you just murder them in one hit then they don't bother coming out to investigate anymore.

Then you get enough skill that you just don't care what they do because you're machine gunning arrows in there so fast even legolas asks you to slow down cause you're making him look bad

Bow skill is the most powerful skill in the game to get even halfway to max, every melee weapon skill is just increasing the damage, bow skill increases the damage but also increases the attack speed and reduces stamina usage because you charge it faster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As far as character growth goes in this game, is it always various forms of bigger/sharper stick, or are there other forms of power I can work toward long-term?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

As far as character growth goes in this game, is it always various forms of bigger/sharper stick, or are there other forms of power I can work toward long-term?

Skill matters too. A friend with a 70 level on bows is like a machine gun next to mine in the low 30s. But gear matters a lot more than skill.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Run/jump and a handful of other skills aside, it’s mostly jus my bigger damage numbers and better armor rating, and it scales in a way that completely trivializes content

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will be a rough balancing act years down the line to make enemies scale up in difficulty as you progress without also killing your newbie friends who are hanging around in your game or server and don't want to get chased down by goblins or worse at night while wielding sticks and stones.

Will be interesting to see if they keep going straight vertical progression past the plains with bigger numbers until the end or it will go horizontal with sidegrades and equipment that opens up new areas or is specialized for certain enemies.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 21, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Only real sidegrades right now are... the harpoon? Maybe the powerup from the bosses?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Is boss-completion enemy generation tied to character or to seed? For example, I haven't killed Yagluth because I don't want goblins all over my house, but if I did and then moved to a different world, would the gobbos follow or would I get pre-Eithkyr stuff?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Retrowave Joe posted:

Is boss-completion enemy generation tied to character or to seed? For example, I haven't killed Yagluth because I don't want goblins all over my house, but if I did and then moved to a different world, would the gobbos follow or would I get pre-Eithkyr stuff?

Server (if that's the same thing as seed, which I'm not sure). I killed bosses 3-5 on the "boss seed" that websites have posted, brought their trophies and materials to my dedicated server, but the server only recognizes that bosses 1-2 were killed there so no goblin issues. You could theoretically do this so only woodland animals attack and no trolls (which are tied in separately), I think

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Only real sidegrades right now are... the harpoon? Maybe the powerup from the bosses?

I'd say troll and bronze armor are sidegrades from each other.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Server (if that's the same thing as seed, which I'm not sure). I killed bosses 3-5 on the "boss seed" that websites have posted, brought their trophies and materials to my dedicated server, but the server only recognizes that bosses 1-2 were killed there so no goblin issues. You could theoretically do this so only woodland animals attack and no trolls (which are tied in separately), I think

Yeah, same thing. Thanks buddy!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Floppychop posted:

I'd say troll and bronze armor are sidegrades from each other.

This is a great example, and definitely something I wish there was more of in the game. I can’t imagine that they just randomly implemented this one instance of “cool alternate medium armor set that trades armor value for move speed and an interesting set bonus”, and this is just a case of the game being early access.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

causticBeet posted:

This is a great example, and definitely something I wish there was more of in the game. I can’t imagine that they just randomly implemented this one instance of “cool alternate medium armor set that trades armor value for move speed and an interesting set bonus”, and this is just a case of the game being early access.

:agreed:

I would wear the lighter armor without movement speed penalties 100% of the time. I can only imagine it'll be something that gets fleshed out more in the future. But :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be somewhat interesting if heavier/more protective armor made you less able to backpedal away from attacks, and they did some formula where if you do get hit you take less damage the further away you are. But I'm not sure if the quirk of being able to forever avoid attacks by moving backwards is a design decision or a limitation of their AI/netcode.

Basically allow the people in paper thin armor better ability to evade hits and dudes in ultra heavy iron gear get hit a lot more but feel it a lot less.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

EmbryoSteve posted:

Can anyone recommend a map sharing mod? I have a server and would love to be able to share maps with my buds

Several people in my friends server are using Explore Together and it works really well. When people using the mod are online the map is explored/shared automatically. If people go offline you can update their maps the next time they are online by doing a /sharemap command in the chat.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It'd be nice if they added a sailing skill - it should increase boat speeds and maybe narrow the angle of the dead zone so tacking is easier. So annoying when you are in a smaller channel and the wind turns against you.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Gully Foyle posted:

It'd be nice if they added a sailing skill - it should increase boat speeds and maybe narrow the angle of the dead zone so tacking is easier. So annoying when you are in a smaller channel and the wind turns against you.

I'd also love to see them add oars so you could have people row (faster than the min speed now) even into headwinds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

The runestone that reveals the location of the fourth boss won't be one of the ones you come across in an open area. It will be in or near a ruined tower, usually draugr around as well.

Cool, thank you! I don't think I've come across anything like that yet, but at least the vistas in the mountains would make it easy to spot.