Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm just reporting what I saw. If Snyder says his preferred vision is 4x3, that's the version I'm going to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you're meant to watch it on your phone... don't tell me people have been watching it on their TVs!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wish I still had my old behemoth 19" Samsung 997DF 1920x1440 CRT monitor to watch the Snyder Cut on.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 21, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

It's going to sound dumb, but I actually have a projector that I haven't used at all in the past year - just haven't been in the mood to watch movies during the pandemic.

I hooked it back up just for the Snyder cut. And it was awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And frankly if you watch Superman '78/the Donner Cut of II back-to-back you basically see that Man of Steel is just a remix of those two movies that theorizes a little bit more about what is going on with the other Kryptonian characters.

This lends a lot of credence to my theory that if Man of Steel was the EXACT same movie in every way with the only difference being Superman literally winking at the camera and saying "You're a real pain in the neck!" (like Lois says before casually murdering Ursa in Superman II for a comedy beat) right before he snaps Zod's neck a lot of the same people that hate it today would have seen it as the best superhero movie ever made.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do think widescreen has benefit over the more squared formats in general.

I think of it this way, a widescreen format is really great for vistas and panoramic views, but doesn't really lose out on more intimate shots because the sides of the screen can fade into your periphery. It's like how when you watch a play, you can focus in on one character and not get distracted by the stage.

I think the issue with that Flash/Superman better shot is that the shot is actually still being framed as a wide shot, but the difference now besides seeing Wonder Woman for a second is that you have all this just empty space below the heroes. And because it's empty space directly below the heroes, it doesn't blend into the periphery. I think someone said something about wider images being easier to take in, but I think the problem is the opposite. Our eyes are good at filtering out stuff on a horizontal plane but not a vertical.

Once again, you can still make good use of the more squared format, but I feel like people are kind of teetering on the side of there not actually being a difference between the formats. They both have drawbacks and selecting an aspect ratio is a choice. Of the two though, widescreen is the more versatile.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teagone posted:

I wish I still had my old behemoth 19" Samsung 997DF 1920x1440 CRT monitor to watch the Snyder Cut on.

That sounds like it would make an awesome environmental weapon...sorry I’ve been playing a lot of Hitman recently.

I really don’t begrudge people for being weird about the 4x3. As mentioned in this thread, for years 4x3 (which isn’t even accurate cause it’s IMAX ratio in this case) meant pan and scan or full frame. I mean I remember buying the ID4 and widescreen vhs by chance and Fox had a promo touting widescreen and honestly it took my head a little time to wrap around it, because the whole idea of part of a film being cut off and your not buying the full movie or even offered seemed kind of crazy to me. I couldn’t believe you’d even do such a thing. I’m sure I’m not alone in that surprise. I think it’s fine and oddly less distracting because everything is center focused and it’s actually easier to watch, but I’m not also surprised that some feels it’s a weird scam or issue. Especially after the years of battling to get rid of pan and scan and then widescreen pan and scan for tv broadcasts (which is still a thing).

I should say I still love widescreen and for something like a Cheng Chen movie I wouldn’t want anything but that.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

McCloud posted:

You got those backwards. There's nothing normal about comic book Clark Kent. That's kind of the point, there's not a million Clark Kents running around, he's a person of singular purity, honesty and goodness who has an innate sense of The right thing.

Snyders Superman meanwhile experiences doubt, fears, remorse, he makes mistakes and there are consequences for his actions, the universe doesn't bend itself over to contrive a solution for difficult situations for him. The whole point of BvS was to show that he isn't a god or a saint, he's a dude doing the best he can. He's probably one of the most relatable Supermen, if you think about it

This is the reason I really liked MoS. Beforehand, I didn't think much about superman. Didn't love him, didn't hate him, just knew he was a character that existed. Then that comes out and he's...just a dude, trying his best. Doubting himself, doubting his place, but pulling through and doing the right thing anyway. And I got into that interpretation. The fact that I finally realized that Superman's story is an immigrants story also helped.

But other people not only didn't like it, they saw that Superman as evil and uncaring because he didn't smile enough? Or because he wasn't actually Sky Daddy who was perfect and could stop all the bad things? I just couldn't see the film that way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

4:3 was chosen for this movie because a relatively tall format suits close, detailed shots of upright bodies, which is an impressive and pleasing way to depict superhero characters.

HBO Max presumably put the disclaimer in front of their biggest release to date because they didn't want to get a bunch of tech support calls from people wondering why there are black bars on the side of the screen. They don't do this for other movies that were shot in 4:3, presumably because anybody watching old rear end movies already knows they're narrow.

I assume that some part of the reason why either the format or the disclaimer is a subject of derision comes from people who, rather unkindly, find the concept of "Zack Snyder's artistic vision" laughable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem with black bars watching a movie is you just know that there's naked people over there if only they would fill in the whole image

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

roffels posted:

If you do some side by sides, there are definitely some cropped and squished shots to make 4x3 in the Snyder cut. Notably some of the shots during speed-force time in the fight against Superman, and some of the shots in the Wonder Woman opening fight had the sides of the image cropped.

Those ones specifically are a result of the cameras. The slow-mo stuff used a high speed digital camera that had a different aspect ratio than the 35mm cameras used for the rest of the movie. Would've been fine for the original theatrical release since it was closer to the native AR of the high speed cameras, and cropped for the HBO Max version to maintain a consistent ratio (Unlike say, Transformers 5, which cuts back and forth between aspect ratios on a shot-by-shot basis depending on the camera).

This happened on BvS as well - some of the IMAX sequences included widescreen 35mm footage that had to be upscaled and cropped/reframed to keep things consistent for that release.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 21, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've been watching random scenes as mini films, and I 💯 love that Cyborgs origin is Supermans except he crushes the disembodied dad pep talk and just does his own thing, which is randomly helping people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And frankly if you watch Superman '78/the Donner Cut of II back-to-back you basically see that Man of Steel is just a remix of those two movies that theorizes a little bit more about what is going on with the other Kryptonian characters.

And then Justice League has the same “run around in a circle until you rewind the universe” ending.

That’s my fave reference after Batman repeating the bomb trick from Batman Returns.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/YoonaBalloona/status/1373401091073835012

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

roffels posted:

It's going to sound dumb, but I actually have a projector that I haven't used at all in the past year - just haven't been in the mood to watch movies during the pandemic.

I hooked it back up just for the Snyder cut. And it was awesome.

what are the dimensions of your wall

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This film looks absolutely beautiful on a CRT.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Quotey posted:

what are the dimensions of your wall

Closer to 4x3 but it's set-up to project at 16x9 because if I were to enlarge the image, my light fixture would get in the way.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
if you wouldn't renovate your house for the snyder cut i have no respect for you

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Quotey posted:

if you wouldn't renovate your house for the snyder cut i have no respect for you

Apartment dweller.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Asteroid Alert posted:

Same w/ my 2005 iPod Video

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Asteroid Alert posted:

Dude....did you keep one over this long or do they still make them? I don't even know nowdays.

I imagine the whole dark-light/contrast would work well. I should get an OLED.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

smoobles posted:

Same w/ my 2005 iPod Video

I watched Citizen Kane for the first time on an iPod Video, David Lynch eat your heart out.

e: it fit perfectly

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I gotta figure out how to get the movie running on my PVM. I might have to borrow my friend's Roku Express.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
me in 1999 watching a dvd: dang this joinks is wide 😳

me in 2021 watching snyder cut: dang this joinks is tall 😳

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
so did snyders dad die or smthn, he very obsessed with dads

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
His daughter died, though when that happened the movie was mostly done so I doubt it influenced much more than the end credits song

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jay-V posted:

How the tables have turned...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jay-V posted:

A lot of comic book characters have daddy issues

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jay-V posted:

So was the berg

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jay-V posted:

they should have called them daddyboxes

say it out loud. daddy. boxes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2house2fly posted:

His daughter died, though when that happened the movie was mostly done so I doubt it influenced much more than the end credits song

I think it probably effected some of the other song choices in the movie

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mantis42 posted:

they should have called them daddyboxes

say it out loud. daddy. boxes.

Fatherboxes are a thing in the comics

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

2house2fly posted:

oh drat

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have no doubt that it's the reason "Distant Sky" is in the movie; it's one of the songs from the Skeleton Tree album that Nick Cave wrote about the death of his son.

"They told us our dreams would outlive us.

They told us our gods would outlive us.

But they lied..." :smith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gatts posted:

I imagine the whole dark-light/contrast would work well. I should get an OLED.
HBO Max did not run beautifully off my PS5.

I need the 4k Snydercut disc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh yeah...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

you're meant to watch it on your phone... don't tell me people have been watching it on their TVs!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

HBO Max did not run beautifully off my PS5.

I need the 4k Snydercut disc.

PS5 HBO Max doesn't do 4K.

In fact I think Netflix is the only one of the big streaming companies with a 4K PS5 app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timby posted:

I have no doubt that it's the reason "Distant Sky" is in the movie; it's one of the songs from the Skeleton Tree album that Nick Cave wrote about the death of his son.

"They told us our dreams would outlive us.

They told us our gods would outlive us.

But they lied..." :smith:

The next album, Ghosteen, is about processing and accepting that grief too