Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

x1o posted:

From ARR through to Stormblood her character model had the same skin tone (#A88369). In Shadowbringers her skin tone shifted to a lighter shade (#CEA382).

This could probably be explained by her starting to lose her tan by living in the shade the entire time, but who knows. As for Gaius, yeah that's just the artist being weird.

But wouldn't the concept art be made before the in-game models, in case of Gaius and the Nier Tribe people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

The main thing I want MHA to do is to remember the girl heroes still exist more often, otherwise very good, love the art, characters neat and so on.

Right? Give me more Jiro, cowards.

'Remember your female heroes exist' is sadly a criticism you can throw at every current shonen battle save maybe Hiro Mashima and the Fire Force guy (although the last one can be shaky).

JordanKai posted:

Oof, I never noticed this. Every female character getting a wasp waist post-timeskip distracted me from the whitewashing. :kstarehair:

Oda was never good about female body types, bouncing between 'attractive' and some form of 'gonk' (and the very first female villain appeared as the latter but is now the former) but now they're so stylized on top of Robin getting whitewashed and feeling like the series had gotten kinda bad about women in general I just dropped it post-timeskip. Although that was also partially because it's really hard to match the earlier heights of CP9 and the Whitebeard War.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Bleach had a decent ratio of male and female heroes.
The villains on the other hand..

Andrew Verse posted:

But wouldn't the concept art be made before the in-game models, in case of Gaius and the Nier Tribe people?

Gaius I dunno.
The Nier tribespeople art is newly made for the rerelease of Nier Replicant.
Even in the original game, the girl character was paler than the male and than her upper image (though not That pale).
And the male character's art feels like they (deliberately maybe) just made him brighter as opposed to white (if that makes sense)

edit: In-game those characters look better (though still brighter, but the whole game's palette seems to be less colorful now). So this seems to be a case of the artist being wrongheaded I guess?

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 21, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

x1o posted:

From ARR through to Stormblood her character model had the same skin tone (#A88369). In Shadowbringers her skin tone shifted to a lighter shade (#CEA382).

This could probably be explained by her starting to lose her tan by living in the shade the entire time, but who knows. As for Gaius, yeah that's just the artist being weird.

also she's been plucked from the jaws of death multiple times now so losing some complexion isn't particularly far-fetched

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't agree with the Y'shtola thing but I'm willing to concede on it, but Gaius it the true weird one because that piece of concept/promo art doesn't matter, his current in game look is that model at the top. He's one of the darker characters in the game.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DeafNote posted:

Bleach had a decent ratio of male and female heroes.

Yeah, they all equally job to Ichigo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Y’shtola one does not hold up. If your race lives in the hot, sun-soak regions, that’s not tanning but your skin getting darker over the generations to adapt. Like, the point is whitewashing, so saying her skin color is just a tan is...not great.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah, they all equally job to Ichigo.

You say that as if Ichigo has a good win rate.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I can't believe we actually got the fabled "This new reboot of a cartoon has ruined the way all the characters look for no reason." boogeyman cartoon nerds always worry about and it was in the form of the new Magic School Bus show.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Macaluso posted:

I don't agree with the Y'shtola thing but I'm willing to concede on it, but Gaius it the true weird one because that piece of concept/promo art doesn't matter, his current in game look is that model at the top. He's one of the darker characters in the game.

I was just talking about how weird it is that XIV has separate cases of children who are extremely pale despite having one or more parents that are dark skinned. It would've been cool seeing the Twins or Yda with at least some sorta color on 'em.

Japan has a weird issue with colorism in general though. A good example of this is Nico Goldstein in Devil May Cry 5, who is half-Black and despite her concept art reflecting this and her face model being mixed, they still lightened her skin and straightened her hair in the final product.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vanderdeath posted:

I was just talking about how weird it is that XIV has separate cases of children who are extremely pale despite having one or more parents that are dark skinned. It would've been cool seeing the Twins or Yda with at least some sorta color on 'em.

Japan has a weird issue with colorism in general though. A good example of this is Nico Goldstein in Devil May Cry 5, who is half-Black and despite her concept art reflecting this and her face model being mixed, they still lightened her skin and straightened her hair in the final product.

the twins are rough yea but to be fair for yda she was made when there were no female Midlanders in 1.0 so they really couldn't remake her model in the old cutscenes easily while doing the massive 2.0 overhaul and all.

Now to completely undo that, there ARE darker skin tones for Highlanders they could have used rather than her albino like skin tone...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I can't believe we actually got the fabled "This new reboot of a cartoon has ruined the way all the characters look for no reason." boogeyman cartoon nerds always worry about and it was in the form of the new Magic School Bus show.

The weird thing is that show has been around for a few years now and the controversy only just happened.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DeafNote posted:

You say that as if Ichigo has a good win rate.

He at least gets more fights than every other character in the series combined.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ryan Hollinger takes a look back at 2006's hottest Internet meme movie Snakes on a Plane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnxYZ38lFM&t=111s

(Timestamped to skip the 2 minute VPN sponsor spot :catstare:)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sexpig by night posted:

the twins are rough yea but to be fair for yda she was made when there were no female Midlanders in 1.0 so they really couldn't remake her model in the old cutscenes easily while doing the massive 2.0 overhaul and all.

Now to completely undo that, there ARE darker skin tones for Highlanders they could have used rather than her albino like skin tone...

Yeah, that's my main issue: there were brown skin tones for male Highlanders even in 1.0 (I played one in 1.0) and the lore for Gyr Abania and Ala Mhigo was set even back then, so it was definitely A Choice to make her blonde-haired, blue-eyed and extremely pale.

I think another reason why it bugs me is that Eorzea is Fantasy Not-Africa and you mean to tell me there's so few brown people? :cmon:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWS4V7DeamM

RagnarRox with another obscure horror game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So evidence (video, chat logs) got posted onto a reddit that outs Danny from Game Grumps as a sex pest preys on his younger fans. So look forward to that piece of drama exploding all over this thread. I'm not sure how cool it is to link these things or how credible it even is, just came across my discord server I frequent.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWS4V7DeamM

RagnarRox with another obscure horror game.

Koudelka's pretty legit. I picked it up after seeing it in one of those PS1 games recommendation collages and binged through it over a weekend. Some things are definitely rough, but I enjoyed the character interactions, the setting as well as the soundtracks.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Arin sure knows how to pick co hosts

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Super soul-crushing. I haven’t been super-engaged with the Grumps since around the time they axed like every other show that wasn’t just Dan & Arin, but he always seem like a super nice guy. Which, in hindsight, does make it all the easier to ensnare fans like that :smith:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ugh, felt legit sick when I heard.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there's a joke about Dan idolizing 80's rockers too much leading to poo poo like this but I'm too grossed out to make it. Man that sucks.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Yeah, this has been floating around for a while but a mix of Avidan's popularity and unhinged hate-fans desperately latching into any negative rumour had me taking it all with a mine of salt. Rant grumps is typically the kind of subreddit where if they said the sky was blue I'd go outside to check. It seems the receipts are in.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 21, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, poo poo.

:(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What is it about low level e-celeb status that turns off the part of people's brains that remembers grooming your underage fans is not, in any way shape or form, okay? I swear I read this exact same story about [insert streamer, youtuber, influencer, etc] multiple times a year.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

What is it about low level e-celeb status that turns off the part of people's brains that remembers grooming your underage fans is not, in any way shape or form, okay? I swear I read this exact same story about [insert streamer, youtuber, influencer, etc] multiple times a year.

A whole bunch of actual celebs did the same thing in the 70s

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sydin posted:

We had the same problem last year in wrestling where it seemed like half of the UK scene were nonces or abusers.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
its because the people who decided to make their whole lives weird publically analyzed products were willing to make that sacrifice because they really wanted something that the lifestyle gives them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's not an e-celeb thing it's just a fame thing, people sadly realize they have a pretty sizable audience that includes young people who look up to them and the whole 'loving groupies' element of fame seems like a pretty fun perk. I mean, as scummy as it is Dan's on the less repulsive side of this by at least waiting until the fans are legal I guess (I wanna be clear that grooming like this is 100% not good and also an abusive thing and this is in no way me 'defending' Dan doing this nasty rear end poo poo).

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
With how often sex things come up in game grumps videos, or at least the compilations I've seen, it doesn't really surprise me that Dan was outed as a groomer.

Making content aimed at/popular with children and very often bringing sex into it really should have been a red flag to more people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh when i want 'action manga with female characters who do stuff' shonen manga isnt really gonna be my port of call, cause like, its shonen, aimed at teen boys and the editorial staff is mostly old dudes. ofc it has lots of female fans/female authors but still, there's a weighting going on there.

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's not an e-celeb thing it's just a fame thing, people sadly realize they have a pretty sizable audience that includes young people who look up to them and the whole 'loving groupies' element of fame seems like a pretty fun perk. I mean, as scummy as it is Dan's on the less repulsive side of this by at least waiting until the fans are legal I guess (I wanna be clear that grooming like this is 100% not good and also an abusive thing and this is in no way me 'defending' Dan doing this nasty rear end poo poo).
eh, id definitely say a certain part of it is that 'e' celebrity opens it up to people who might not be conventionally attractive or charismatic, who in turn might not have much experience with romance/sex. plus it being on the internet means its way easier to get access to random people half-jokingly talking about how attractive you are or w/e. put that all together and it seems designed to basically boost the bad impulses celebrity already brought.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vonnie posted:

Making content aimed at/popular with children and very often bringing sex into it really should have been a red flag to more people.

imo thijs is one of those things that's all about "how do they do it" don't really want to say 'talking to children about sex' is an inherently groomer thing to do because thats how you get people shutting down sex ed classrooms shutting down pride parades. otoh you also do not want to be a creep.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah and i mean like, plenty of childrens cartoons have sex jokes that kids arent gonna get and im not gonna say the staff of animaniacs are groomers for putting in a joke about fingering the artist formerly known as prince. you just have to not be a weirdo about it (difficulty: impossible)

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah and i mean like, plenty of childrens cartoons have sex jokes that kids arent gonna get and im not gonna say the staff of animaniacs are groomers for putting in a joke about fingering the artist formerly known as prince. you just have to not be a weirdo about it (difficulty: impossible)

Pretty sure Dan told an extended story about loving (or not loving) a prostitute during an episode of Katamari, if that helps clarify what I mean by "Bringing sex into it".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah thats weird

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

tbh when i want 'action manga with female characters who do stuff' shonen manga isnt really gonna be my port of call, cause like, its shonen, aimed at teen boys and the editorial staff is mostly old dudes. ofc it has lots of female fans/female authors but still, there's a weighting going on there.

eh, id definitely say a certain part of it is that 'e' celebrity opens it up to people who might not be conventionally attractive or charismatic, who in turn might not have much experience with romance/sex. plus it being on the internet means its way easier to get access to random people half-jokingly talking about how attractive you are or w/e. put that all together and it seems designed to basically boost the bad impulses celebrity already brought.

oh yea I do agree the internet and all makes this a lot EASIER for randos to get into, I was just saying it's not some new youtuber/streamer kinda pattern of abuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually in the very very early days didnt the gamegrumps literally call their fans 'cumsluts'

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hmm that may be too far

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What happened now? People laughed at how it looked bad and had a new intro song by Lin-Manuel Miranda years ago, did a lot of people suddenly just notice that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s weird to see a genuine accusation mixed in among posts complaining about how Game Grumps isn’t as good as it was and about how they make too much money from merchandise, and all the replies talk about this like it’s another complaint about how they’re not funny any more.

It’s like the posters don’t understand the gravity of what they’re posting about and are treating it as another thing to complain about because they don’t like game grumps vs something genuinely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s weird to see a genuine accusation mixed in among posts complaining about how Game Grumps isn’t as good as it was and about how they make too much money from merchandise, and all the replies talk about this like it’s another complaint about how they’re not funny any more.

It’s like the posters don’t understand the gravity of what they’re posting about and are treating it as another thing to complain about because they don’t like game grumps vs something genuinely bad.
i mean there's a big dossier on every bit of drama from 2020 and there's poo poo like 'stole a fan's art without permission and refused to give credit' and 'randomly stuck epilepsy-bait in the middle of a video with no warning and legit sent somebody to the hospital' mixed in with 'they accidentally uploaded a mario party video with the wrong name'