Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Davros1 posted:

Put it another way, including the TV movie in '96, in "classic" Who, there was only 170 stories.

I count 159 (not including Shada, but including Trial as 4 and the dalek cutaway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at wikipedia's list you get to 160 including Shada and expanding Trial out to 4 stories

Nominally I would say Shada shouldn't count but I feel like the animated version with Tom kind of changes that since, even with them having to record new dialogue, it basically makes it as much of a "real" story nowadays as something like Power of the Daleks is

Not that quibbling about the exact number of stories by a number of ten one way or the other really changes the point of how prolific Big Fin's output has been

or that the animated versions of stories with no existing episodes are worse than just listening to the narrated telly soundtracks

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

or that the animated versions of stories with no existing episodes are worse than just listening to the narrated telly soundtracks

Disagree

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Talking of lost stories, check out this wholly remarkable trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMec25W4pC0

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Including my preorders, I just crossed 1000 stories on Big Finish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As I rip these DVDs, I’ve been watching a lot of 3rd Doctor stories I’d never seen before (which is most of them) and uhhhh I think I kinda love Jon Pertwee. It’s like someone crossed Ultra Q/Ultraman with a shoestring James Bond and it’s loving great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Me too!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I think Sirens of Time is actually a free download at Big Finish at the moment, funnily enough!

Your post made me go "hmm, I should go download that, since I originally bought it on CD back when it was released, and I dunno where my copy is, so I can have it as a backup just in case. And what's this, there's a sale on Cybermen stories AND all the Monthly Adventures..." and one :homebrew: moment later, I now have a bunch of new BF DW stuff to listen to. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I try to avoid installing apps where possible but I have to say the Big Finish app is pretty loving great in terms of being able to just click any story I've purchased and instantly download it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As I rip these DVDs, I’ve been watching a lot of 3rd Doctor stories I’d never seen before (which is most of them) and uhhhh I think I kinda love Jon Pertwee. It’s like someone crossed Ultra Q/Ultraman with a shoestring James Bond and it’s loving great.
Pertwee was the first Doctor I remember as a kid, so I give his stories a lot of leeway - but really, he doesn't have too many bad ones all told.

He was also the first time I got upset about a character on TV dying. I knew about regeneration in theory, but actually seeing him endure all that punishment (and be scared) in part 6 of 'Planet of the Spiders' before staggering out of the TARDIS and gasping his last was a huge shock to 7-year-old me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/cutawayuniverse/status/1372500039789068290?s=20

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Just listened to You are the Doctor and Other Stories, and it was a lot of fun. The McCoy/Aldred dynamic is as strong as ever, and the connected short story format works really well. The 'choose your adventure' style was a great gimmick and ended up being very funny. 'Come Die With Me' is a great pun. The story is good too, but that pun!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

POLL:

Best Kangs:

[ ] Red
[ ] Blue
[ ] Yellow
[ ] PEX LIVES

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

POLL:

Best Kangs:

[X] Red Kangs Rule
[ ] Blue
[ ] Yellow
[ ] PEX LIVES

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

[ X ] PEX LIVES

:hai:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really miss Murray Gold music in Doctor Who, and I really wish Big Finish was able to use more than just the theme tunes for the modern era Doctor releases.

I don't at all think the score from Segun Akinola is bad at all, but I really loved the ridiculous levels of bombast of Gold's stuff, and Akinola's is much more moody and ambient a lot of the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Completely unrelated:

https://twitter.com/adamlancegarcia/status/1373485156758138880?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

I really miss Murray Gold music in Doctor Who, and I really wish Big Finish was able to use more than just the theme tunes for the modern era Doctor releases.

I don't at all think the score from Segun Akinola is bad at all, but I really loved the ridiculous levels of bombast of Gold's stuff, and Akinola's is much more moody and ambient a lot of the time.

I’d love to hear the Gallifrey refrain in Big Finish audios.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'd love for the Series 10 soundtrack to release. :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Heads up, BBC America is showing the animated "Fury From the Deep" today at 6 pm

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A Rick Roll...but probably not the one you expected!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Remember Adam? No, not the brief companion of the 9th doctor who went turbo evil in a comic. The other one. The fake Torchwood member that got his own special introduction sequence.

Well, Big Finish remembers him

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

jivjov posted:

Remember Adam? No, not the brief companion of the 9th doctor who went turbo evil in a comic. The other one. The fake Torchwood member that got his own special introduction sequence.

I love BF but goddrat do they stripmine the hell out of the DW IP for characters to build new series around.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jivjov posted:

I mean, its probably not wise to be casting Bruno Langley in anything these days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I love BF but goddrat do they stripmine the hell out of the DW IP for characters to build new series around.

This one isn't a new series--just one monthly installment in the Torchwood range

TinTower posted:

I mean, its probably not wise to be casting Bruno Langley in anything these days.

Ahh. Yeah I'd actually kinda completely forgot about that. Yikes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

Where is Lizbeth's moustache. :colbert:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just think of them as the Doctor Who equivalent of a retirement plan.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jivjov posted:

Remember Adam?

No, but man, looking back at it, those first two series of Torchwood were ripping off Buffy even more than I remember. The overall tone, Adam, just going "gently caress it" and casting James Marsters with a British accent...

At least Torchwood wasn't written by a sex pest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No but one of the main characters IS a sex pest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No need to beat around the bush on that one, he's just a straight up rapist. It's one of the most baffling writing/character choices I can ever remember seeing in a television show. They just have one of their main characters be a literal rapist in the first episode and then he's supposed to be the "cool" guy character from that point on and I cannot figure out what the hell they were thinking.

I feel bad for Burn Gorman too, because it really put me off him as an actor for a long time even though he wasn't the guy who wrote the character. Happily he still seems to be doing okay, he was the antagonist of season 4 of The Expanse and was really, really loving good at being a hateable piece of poo poo without resorting to being a rapist (which... again, Torchwood had him be a rapist and thought he was still a protagonist!).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah he's a fine actor, it just sucks that the role that brought him to a wide audience is a monstrous bastard.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's even worse than that, because it's plainly obvious from the way that RTD writes him in that first episode that he doesn't consider that act rape. As sickening as it would be, Torchwood isn't a redemption arc for Burn Gorman, Occasional Rapist. The way you're supposed to read it is "this guy fucks."

I don't remember when I first (and last) watched Torchwood--maybe 2011 or 2012? But it was plainly obvious then that it was wrong. I can only imagine it's even worse now.

Anyways as an RTD palate cleanser, please watch It's a Sin. Achingly sad and liminal and funny and infuriating.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good news if, like me, you missed out on the earlier UK blu-ray releases.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1374692797001965575

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rochallor posted:

I don't remember when I first (and last) watched Torchwood--maybe 2011 or 2012? But it was plainly obvious then that it was wrong. I can only imagine it's even worse now.
poo poo, I just looked it up and found it's 10 years since Torchwood finished. :stare:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

It's even worse than that, because it's plainly obvious from the way that RTD writes him in that first episode that he doesn't consider that act rape. As sickening as it would be, Torchwood isn't a redemption arc for Burn Gorman, Occasional Rapist. The way you're supposed to read it is "this guy fucks."

Anyways as an RTD palate cleanser, please watch It's a Sin. Achingly sad and liminal and funny and infuriating.

And the really weird thing about it is, RTD wrote him using an alien date rape drug on both a woman AND her boyfriend, as if to say "oh that wacky Owen, what won't he do in the pursuit of hedonistic pleasure" :rolleyes:, while pretty much every sane person who saw that was skeeved out beyond belief. I know he wasn't because he was pretty much the most powerful man in British TV at the time, but he should have absolutely been raked over the coals for that poo poo when it originally aired.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's falling under the same general thought process of, say, the rape committed by the literal title character in Wonder Woman '84. It's getting excused as not technically tape due to magic/technology making it okay.

E: to be clear--it's absolutely rape and it's absolutely gross and bad. I'm presenting the excuse being made, not saying I agree with that line of thought

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

jivjov posted:

I think it's falling under the same general thought process of, say, the rape committed by the literal title character in Wonder Woman '84. It's getting excused as not technically tape due to magic/technology making it okay.

E: to be clear--it's absolutely rape and it's absolutely gross and bad. I'm presenting the excuse being made, not saying I agree with that line of thought

Oh, for sure. It's one of those things we're supposed to go away thinking "well it wasn't that bad" or ponder how the affected characters reacted when it was over and they realized what had happened.

Now you mention WW84, I'm actually left wondering which is the worst of the two. In TW, you have both a woman and a man being date raped by a main character, with the takeaway supposedly being "ha ha, the angry guy suddenly got turned gay/bisexual for a night". In WW84, you have a guy's body possessed and used without his consent, but really it's OK because he got to have sex with one of the most beautiful lady superheroes in the world, even if it wasn't actually him as a person, just his physical shell occupied by another person. They really are both just absolutely appalling scenarios that the scriptwriters figured would be good for laughs.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Burn Gorman is a fine actor, and its fun when he pops up in things (his chemistry with Charlie Day is a highlight), but Owen was an awful character. Aside from the issue with the first episode, his character is just "edgy nihilism". All of the characters were terrible people and not in the fun "oh they're morally conflicted and have to do bad things for good reason and that conflict drives the plot" way. They're just...bad people.

I've mentioned earlier about Jack literally having all the fun and charismatic parts of his character sucked out for that show, but none of them were fun - except Tosh, maybe? But that's because she was the most inoffensive one. The actors were fine, it was just a writing thing, since the Big Finish series and the versions of them from that seems to be much more liked, so at least some good things came out of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sarah Jane Adventures was cool and good albeit a bit childish at times.

I miss Sladen.

Let us not talk about Class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Happy 101st birthday Patrick Troughton!