Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maha posted:

I remember reading something about an industry practice of cutting off some part of a food animal to trigger some stress response that would cause them to either mature faster or breed more often. I thought it was farmed fish, but my searches are failing. Is it one antenna off a lobster or something? Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Declawing of crabs, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maha posted:

I remember reading something about an industry practice of cutting off some part of a food animal to trigger some stress response that would cause them to either mature faster or breed more often. I thought it was farmed fish, but my searches are failing. Is it one antenna off a lobster or something? Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

"Eyestalk ablation" on female prawns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyest...d%20commercial.

It's all pretty gross.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

regulargonzalez posted:

If we're limiting it to strictly items that specifically indicate America (everyone knows the latest Marvel movie or w/e is from the US but it's not marketed as "America's Avengers"), then Doritos. Cool ranch flavor becomes "Cool American" in Europe.

And I know Levi's are considered "the" jeans to have in many countries. Again, they're not directly advertised as American but everyone knows they are.

The blue Doritos flavour is actually just called Cool Original in the UK, which always seemed to me to be the most :effort: way to name a snack

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Media -- movies, tv, music.
If that's too amorphous, maybe the iPhone or steel.
Probably software.
Maybe pharma (development obviously, and the inherent quality. Not so much the marketing and sales part).
Military hardware -- jets, subs, tanks, missiles. Military efficiency and effectiveness in general.
Space -- satellites, launches, exploration of distant bodies.

Wish someone would explore this distant body haha am I right girls?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
how much personal information can someone see, while buying a product from your redbubble, aside from what you put in your profile?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hot sauce brands definitely, for me personally. Louisiana Hot Sauce is something I mail order because the local brands just can't compete. You guys know your junk food.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a tool to show a map of the area wherein addresses all use the same city field? I can find maps of a given city's limits, but that's usually smaller than what I'm looking for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

hooah posted:

Is there a tool to show a map of the area wherein addresses all use the same city field? I can find maps of a given city's limits, but that's usually smaller than what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but if you search for just a city's name on Google Maps, it will highlight the town boundaries for you in red. It's precise down to the street level.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
On a door frame, what is this strip called?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dokmo posted:

On a door frame, what is this strip called?

A "stop".

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

nishi koichi posted:

how much personal information can someone see, while buying a product from your redbubble, aside from what you put in your profile?

I buy things on redbubble pretty regularly and I don't think I've ever noticed any particular information about the design creator during the process. I think it would be more of a concern on platforms where you're shipping out a product yourself, since there's a return address; redbubble doesn't have anything like that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

hooah posted:

Are you looking for the official area where a city name applies, areas that might be under that name for mail/shipping purposes or colloquial usage? The former can usually be found easily via Google maps as previously said, but the latter two are trickier to pin down.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there a word or concise phrase for recognizing that something is undesirable but prevention is not working so policy is changed to let that thing happen in the most desirable way?

Needle exchange would be a good example of what I'm talking about.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there a word or concise phrase for recognizing that something is undesirable but prevention is not working so policy is changed to let that thing happen in the most desirable way?

Harm reduction?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trapick posted:

Harm reduction?

That's not quite it, but I don't think there's a better match.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Are you looking for the official area where a city name applies, areas that might be under that name for mail/shipping purposes or colloquial usage? The former can usually be found easily via Google maps as previously said, but the latter two are trickier to pin down.

City names are a lot more fluid than people think. I live in a newly incorporated city in a zip code that spans into another city that 10 years ago incorporated 5 different cities/areas into one. As a result I receive mail with one of three different city names on it, depending on how recent the company’s mailing database is.

USPS doesn’t care as long as the ZIP is correct.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Might depend on where you live. I'm not American, but I've made the experience that local post services can waffle between using the address as given by the city name or the address as given by the ZIP code depending on who sorted your letter. When those things don't match, it can be up to the postal worker's own discretion to guess which one was the location you really meant.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FCKGW posted:

City names are a lot more fluid than people think. I live in a newly incorporated city in a zip code that spans into another city that 10 years ago incorporated 5 different cities/areas into one. As a result I receive mail with one of three different city names on it, depending on how recent the company’s mailing database is.

USPS doesn’t care as long as the ZIP is correct.

Yeah, that was exactly the reason I was asking what name they were looking for. There are areas down here where the cities aren’t exactly new, incorporated 15-20 years ago in some cases, but they can get mail with 3-4 different city names for the same address/zip code seemingly at random.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

Depending on what you need out of the map, and if you can do some leg work, USPS has a tool to look up the official city name for each zip code, and any unofficial names there might be

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

Mitigation?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not exactly right either, but pragmatism?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

As others have said, administrative boundaries can be plotted in google maps. If you are trying to do data crunching, you can also get a GeoJSON file of the polygon that makes up the boundaries from the OpenStreetMaps library following this procedure.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Agreeing with "harm reduction," it's exactly the phrase people tend to use with needle exchanges.

e: another term that might be related is "realpolitik" which goes along with the other suggestion of "pragmatism"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dupersaurus posted:

Depending on what you need out of the map, and if you can do some leg work, USPS has a tool to look up the official city name for each zip code, and any unofficial names there might be

Thanks. Mostly this is just curiosity, since the city isn't that big, but we've got two towns between us and what the legal city limits are, but our mailing address is still part of that city.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Radio, microwave, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, x-ray, and gamma radiation are all made by photons with different frequencies. Alpha waves are electrical signals in your brain have nothing to do with them.

efb

We see visible wavelengths because receptors in our eyes are tuned to respond to that specific frequency band, which is a very useful band for us to use to see

Is there a non-anthrocentric term for visible light?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

380-700 nm light

e: to really make it non anthrocentric you would also have to include a definition of the nm, which is the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1e-9/299792458 of a second.

A second, of course, is the time duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the fundamental unperturbed ground-state of the caesium-133 atom. Obviously.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 22, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

It's explicitly the human-visible spectrum of light, so why would we need one? The acknowledgment that it specifically refers to the wavelengths that are visible to humans is kind of baked into the definition of the term.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

*talkin to an intelligent alien* What kind of light do we see? Okay so uh... you got this Ce-133 atom right? And you know how it's got two hyperfine levels of its ground state... *alien nodding along politely and just thikning about alien baseball or something*

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Necessary evil?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Are there any teeth-whitening products you can use at home that work well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

Crest professional white strips works well in my experience. I also got one of the uv lights that goes in your mouth when you sue the strips that supposedly helps. But yeah, the strips seem effective in my experience.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Teeth whitening products are basically bleach that melts your teeth. This is bad for the teeth. I assume some of them make your teeth whiter, but they all gently caress up your teeth.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

artsy fartsy posted:

To give you the same advice my own dentist gave me: don't use anything more aggressive than teeth-whitening toothpaste at home, or you might do irreparable damage to your enamel. Anything that works faster than these should only be used by a medical professional and even then there are likely to be some long-term consequences, especially if it is done repeatedly. The site I linked in this post lists a number of them that should do the job, assuming you're in the USA. If not, you can probably google for some good brands yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not even the teeth that are at greatest risk; it’s the gums.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What's a good iPhone to 3.5mm audio adapter w/ a charging pass through for use in a car with only an aux cable?

I see ones that are like $10 during a cursory Google search. That seems suspiciously cheap. Trying to find one that won't potentially blowup or burn down my gf's car.

Edit: I guess a 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapter would work as well

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 22, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dog nougat posted:

What's a good iPhone to 3.5mm audio adapter w/ a charging pass through for use in a car with only an aux cable?

I see ones that are like $10 during a cursory Google search. That seems suspiciously cheap. Trying to find one that won't potentially blowup or burn down my gf's car.

The availability and quality of such cables was really bad when the iPhone 7 came out. I went through several of them before getting a Bluetooth to aux thing that works great. I paid twenty whole dollars for it and it’s worked great. I should have gotten one earlier.

It was a a generic Chinese brand and the model I bought isn’t sold anymore. This TaoTronics looks similar.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can recommend TaoTronics as a manufacturer. I own a number of their wireless headphones and they're all solid quality for the price.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

Possibly “decriminalization”. Unsanctioned is also similar.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

None of these completely work so I am coining the word now.

Repropastrate: To adopt a suboptimal goal or solution to a problem when the optimal goal or solution proves impossible or unworkable.

That's it tell your particularly nerdy friends

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sighokaying. Or spelled Cyokaying, so it looks like it's from Greek or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you’re in a religion that forbids meat, do they allow practitioners to have the fake meats? Like, Incogmeato brands.