Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jay-V posted:

so did snyders dad die or smthn, he very obsessed with dads

He has a few adopted children. It's hard for me to separate that knowledge from his storytelling of Superman as an adopted immigrant or Cyborg's "I'm not alone" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
HBO Max basically says "Do you have a Samsung TV? No? Well gently caress you then"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RBA Starblade posted:

The next album, Ghosteen, is about processing and accepting that grief too

Very much so. I've only spoken to Nick once about Ghosteen, but he said to me that the album is about the terrible space and emptiness that his family is experiencing, even now, years after Arthur's death. Nick's relationship with his first son, Jethro, in particular, has become particularly strained (not that it was ever that great to begin with), and he and his wife, Susie, went through a period of living separately because they were both having such a terrible time processing their grief over Arthur. And, of course, there's Arthur's twin, Earl, who I imagine is still experiencing unimaginable pain (Nick's kids are 100 percent off-limits in interviews, and even when he and I have friendly chats, I never bring up his children or Susie). I imagine Snyder is very drawn to both Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, given the shared experience he has with Cave.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I should really start charging David Lynch rent because this clip lives in my memory rent-free. I think about this clip at least a few times a week.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

roffels posted:

He has a few adopted children. It's hard for me to separate that knowledge from his storytelling of Superman as an adopted immigrant or Cyborg's "I'm not alone" line.

also interesting in light of his abandoned initial plans for justice league 2 and 3, where superman (having disassociated from his human identity after dying and identifying solely as Kal-El, the kryptonian) regains his humanity through raising bruce's son with Lois.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

smoobles posted:

PS5 HBO Max doesn't do 4K.

In fact I think Netflix is the only one of the big streaming companies with a 4K PS5 app.

Amazon has 4k on ps5 app. I think it’s just hbo max and Disney plus that don’t have it. I don’t have hulu

E: if your tv has airplay you can send the 4k version of justice league to it without Apple TV on an iPhone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I should really start charging David Lynch rent because this clip lives in my memory rent-free. I think about this clip at least a few times a week.

It's this one and the one where he gets a headache thinking about Wookiees.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Quick q: after Steppenwolf takes the final box, Victor is looking at where his dad was, he says "this wasn't your..." and then trails off, and then realises that his dad marked the box. Anyone know how that sentence was going to end? It has the vibe of referring back to something earlier in the movie but I don't know what specifically

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

Quick q: after Steppenwolf takes the final box, Victor is looking at where his dad was, he says "this wasn't your..." and then trails off, and then realises that his dad marked the box. Anyone know how that sentence was going to end? It has the vibe of referring back to something earlier in the movie but I don't know what specifically

Presumably “...redemption”.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked Stephen Wolfe's redesign and his shiny spikey suit

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

https://youtu.be/xu8SB_xte9M

Neat. Good to see how happy the actors were working with Snyder on JL.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

https://youtu.be/xu8SB_xte9M

Neat. Good to see how happy the actors were working with Snyder on JL.

drat I was hoping for a longer video! It’s just so good to see everyone really like working with him. He’s so stoked in the footage while making this, just what a good vibe

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

He always refers to the cast as “they’re all my friends” and he really seems to mean it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Anti-Life Equation is simple, it's the key to destroying free will, which is the fundamental quality of all life, and therefore will annihilate all life. I guess the Death Equation didn't have quite the same ring.

E: It also further illustrates what a ripoff Thanos is of Darkseid.

this is preposterous, the fundamental quality of all life is 'procreation', and almost all life happens completely without guide.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’m trying to catch up on the thread so forgive me if these have already been mentioned but I couldn’t get past some things with this:

Wonder Woman jumping down to some hidden alcove that shows all this fight from the past. Where the gently caress did she jump to?

O hey master Darkseid, I found the location of the anti-life equation. It’s here on Earth. Excellent, now use the mother boxes to destroy the planet for me.

And am I supposed to believe the destruction of Earth somehow would spare Steppenwolf?

Like wtf?! I guess it was better because it clarified some origins and people’s motivations, but it still felt patchy. 4 hours did go by pretty quick though.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m trying to catch up on the thread so forgive me if these have already been mentioned but I couldn’t get past some things with this:

Wonder Woman jumping down to some hidden alcove that shows all this fight from the past. Where the gently caress did she jump to?

this actually threw me, too. i assume it was something under the temple of athena or whatever.

quote:

O hey master Darkseid, I found the location of the anti-life equation. It’s here on Earth. Excellent, now use the mother boxes to destroy the planet for me.

And am I supposed to believe the destruction of Earth somehow would spare Steppenwolf?

what gave you any reason to believe that desaad and darkseid cared about Steppenwolf at all? the tragic element of his character is that his loyalty to their cause is far greater to their consideration for him. 'the thing about loyalty to a cause is that the cause will always betray you.'

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Everyone was just being generic a dick to poor Stephy, but Darkseid will literally do anything for the anti life equation so he'd show up to earth with Stephy if it's there. Remember him just making friends with Lex Luthor and getting himself stuck in the source wall with him just to get it at the end of JLU?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Like wtf?! I guess it was better because it clarified some origins and people’s motivations, but it still felt patchy. 4 hours did go by pretty quick though.

1. It was some ancient Amazonian ruin that showed the Amazon's retelling of the first time Darkseid came to Earth. Diana was led there by her mother's magic arrow.

2. The Mother Boxes don't just destroy. They can terraform, reconfigure, and recreate. At one point when the heroes discuss using the boxes to resurrect Superman they say the power of the boxes could, for example, turn the smoke and ash of a burnt down house back into a normal house. So presumably, they could return Earth back to its ancient form, when the Anti-Life Equation was written on its surface.

3. Again, the Mother Boxes don't just destroy indiscriminately.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://twitter.com/lesdoggg/status/1373846380486164483?s=21

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Now this is the kind of reaction tweeting I crave!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Presumably if the heroes hadn't interfered Steppenwolf would have boomtubed away before the planet blew up

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Maybe that portal was for Stephen Wolf to escape thru, unless it was for DarkSeid to watch him die up close after he succeeded, which would be pretty funny

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The world would have been fuuuucked if Zod knew Earth had some motherboxes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Unity is meant to convert the Earth's ecosystem into being like that of Apokolips. That wouldn't be a problem for Steppenwolf, who's already from Apokolips, and, indeed, already used the first two Mother Boxes to create a small Apokolips-like environment in his base.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hmm, come to think of it, why didn't the Atlanteans or Amazonians do something about the Kryptonians who were trying colonize their planet? Why must Superman alone be the one to break General Zod's neck? Makes you think...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe he'd get his Nosferatu looking scientist to reconfigure it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Zod would be a dweeb and follow kryptonian custom to avoid messing with stuff like that

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

roffels posted:

Yeah, connecting this really made the proposed JL trilogy ideas land for me. Of course he'd be connected to Clark being adopted (it's probably why the Pa Kent scenes in MoS and BvS are some of the best parts) and of course he'd want to end it like that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Hmm, come to think of it, why didn't the Atlanteans or Amazonians do something about the Kryptonians who were trying colonize their planet? Why must Superman alone be the one to break General Zod's neck? Makes you think...

The Kryptonian invasion happened over the course of a couple of hours, they probably barely heard about it by the time it was over

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also they had no TVs or phones for them to get Zod's message.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The very quick sketch of what Atlantis is like in this was kind of interesting, talking about Prince Orm can't spare anyone to guard the box because he's pacifying the rebel regions

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Detective No. 27 posted:

can you imagine Steppenwolf having to face down Zod

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Horizon Burning posted:

Where did you learn to fight, conquering a million plane - oh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Horizon Burning posted:

Okay now you're making me want a one-shot where Zod kills Kal-El but Steppenwolf shows up right after, so Zod ends up having to defend Earth from the forces of Darkseid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I literally just saw her tweets pop up in my timeline right now and I need to sleep but gently caress I want to stay up and watch all her live tweets, lmao.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Gatts posted:

Dude....did you keep one over this long or do they still make them? I don't even know nowdays.

I imagine the whole dark-light/contrast would work well. I should get an OLED.

My local arcade had an extra Apple Studio Display in storage and I got it for free.

OLEDs are nice, I watched the film first time on one.

The 4:3 frame format works pretty well in 1600x1200 resolution.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The snydercut is a strange movie but there is nothing like it, so it is still a success and is going to have a very interesting legacy in movie history.

I think Snyder should do a musical one day - his too-earnest style is, in the end, unfit for action blockbusters (or "action" because for Marvel action scenes are an afterthought), but would be at home where being dumb and honest and over-the-top is the norm. Sucker Punch is almost a jukebox musical but it is held back by trying to be an epic thirsty gamer film first and foremost (also ugly as sin).

Pirate Jet posted:

The people who watch this movie without liking Zack Snyder are whatever, what strikes me as odd is how he’s managing to catch the flack for the flaws of comic books. Like “ugh there’s an EVIL MATH EQUATION!? And their planet is named APOCALYPSE!?” like, did you expect him to “fix” comic books for you?

They are the reason that like 3/4 of comic book movies are hopelessly embarrassed of their roots.
You might've thought that kind of talk would die off after a movie about a purple man with INFINITE GAUNTLET (a magic glove with infinite powers) made all the money in the world but nah.
But truth be told, Kirby was mocked during the original run of New Gods as a washed artist and it took until late 80s for Fourth World and his other 70s stuff to be properly celebrated.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

I think Snyder should do a musical one day - his too-earnest style is, in the end, unfit for action blockbusters (or "action" because for Marvel action scenes are an afterthought), but would be at home where being dumb and honest and over-the-top is the norm.

WB should bring Jim Steinman back and pair him up with Snyder to turn his abandoned Batman stage musical into a film

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Adaptations being embarassed of their source material end up far more cringeworthy, since they can never find remotely worthwhile substitutes for what they cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Timby posted:

Very much so. I've only spoken to Nick once about Ghosteen, but he said to me that the album is about the terrible space and emptiness that his family is experiencing, even now, years after Arthur's death. Nick's relationship with his first son, Jethro, in particular, has become particularly strained (not that it was ever that great to begin with), and he and his wife, Susie, went through a period of living separately because they were both having such a terrible time processing their grief over Arthur. And, of course, there's Arthur's twin, Earl, who I imagine is still experiencing unimaginable pain (Nick's kids are 100 percent off-limits in interviews, and even when he and I have friendly chats, I never bring up his children or Susie). I imagine Snyder is very drawn to both Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, given the shared experience he has with Cave.

Woah, you know Nick Cave?! That's awesome!