Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FalloutFan56 posted:

Chaos wars? Is he a guest character in another game or am I completely off?

It's another game, largely famous for its extremely mediocre translation and worse voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I was wondering when that was going to come up in this thread.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Specifically, Chaos Wars is a big mash up of characters from different games and companies.

I don't even know why they decided to throw all these characters in together other than that they're RPG characters.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Shadow Hearts is so goddamn goofy that stuff like this stands out a lot, so it's p drat memorable

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Ishimura still has the picture of himself and Ben Hyuga posing with Kawashima on his wall and I don't know if that's :smith: or :unsmith:.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id be angry.
Betraying his friends so he can wage preemptive war on everyone? Thats a few more kicks between the ribs, minimum. Itd have been easier to accept if he didnt understand or cared about the weight of his actions, but he chose otherwise.

His whole speech before he gets a kicking of his life amounts to "I had no choice"

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 19, 2021

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CX: Mistakes of the Past

<walks up to Karin's side> Where's Yuri?
...Huh?
Well...

Hmm. He's still pretty down, huh?
Yeah... Maybe we should get, I don't know, a bench put out here for him to sit on?
A bench?
Yeah, it just seems like it would fit there, you know? Just a weird feeling I have.

Well... I'll see what I can do to help.

Roger trots towards Yuri.

Um, Roger!
Karin, the leader of the Inugami Clan was looking for you.
For me? Are you sure?
Yes, she's at the Fountain of Sukune.
Hmm... uhh...
Just go and meet her. You're not doing Yuri any good staring at him from a distance making concerned noises and frowning.
<frowns> Hmm...

Karin departs as Roger strolls up and sits beside Yuri.

<gets himself comfortably seated> Hmm. Yeah...

You couldn't kill him, huh?
No...
Even though you wanted to, right?
Yeah...
I heard you gave him a good beating. Did that help any?
No...

Hurts, doesn't it?
Yeah...
...Good. That's how it's supposed to feel.
...Hm?

Music: ICARO (Piano Arrangement) ~ Main Theme

He's lost it all. His Iron Soldiers, his mad scientist, Kato, Nicolai, everything. All he's got to look forward to is a short, sad life.
I bet he had one of those ill-defined lingering coughs to indicate declining health on top of it, right? You know the one. I doubt the beating you gave him improved that condition.

But it's more than enough time to think over all the crimes he's committed...
The thing is, even he was just... doing what he thought was right.
In a really crappy way. Not that I'm one to talk. I solve most of my problems by punching and kicking them. But...

He was fighting for his country, his grandson.
But... What have I been fighting for...? When that kid was staring at me like that, I realized I had no idea.
Just find something new to punch is all I seem to do anymore... The German army... Weird cults... Russian wizards... The Japanese military... And I dunno why...

Music: ENDS

You're fighting for Alice, are you not? I think that you are.
Huh?!
For the world she loved so much? The future...
<glances over at Yuri> And also you. ...Her dreams were very important to you.

So I think that maybe you fight to try to help her dreams come true. Am I wrong?

OLD Music: ALICE

Alice...
C'mon, you've got to buck up. This isn't like you.
You would usually be getting fired up and rowdy about something by now. Maybe yell "bite me!"
No matter how much you want to, you know you can't change the past!

<nods> I know that. But I can't stop...
No one stops... Sometimes it feels almost like it's way too late to stop...
It's difficult to live a life without having any regrets.

Roger stands up and stretches.

I've been alive for 700 years...

Music: Relaxation Mood ~ Relief

...And I've spent most of that time regretting.
Give or take a couple of centuries slumbering in a coffin. I need my beauty sleep, after all. And look, it did me wonders!
<smiles and chuckles>
Heh. You don't look a day over 500.

That's right. Laugh. Just laugh and go on. That's the best thing to do. Then you can look back at even the saddest things and smile.

<stares into the horizon> ......

Yuri?
Yeah?

I'm going to bring Alice back to you.
What?!

The Émigré magic that Kato used on Ouka... Many famous wizards have tried and failed. Even I've felt its dark call...
I did transcribe the entire tome, after all...
However, I've always resisted its temptations.
<rubs neck> ...Well. Except for that one time I gave myself immortality.

Yuri jumps to his feet.

Uh... But...?!
What is Kato planning? We simply have to find out what his intentions are. Like he said, the secret is in the book!
You're going to... bring the dead back to life?

Music: Serious Mood ~ Unrest

The two of us will. If one of us goes crazy and... turns into a monster... then the other one will be forced to kill him and stop the magic.
See, I have already covered all of the angles.
H-have you...?
Undoubtedly!

How about it?
...Okay. I want to do it.
Good. Then let's hurry up and take off for Europe. I've got to prepare the tools I need in order to perform the ritual.

JESUS loving H CHRIST! What the gently caress is wrong with you, Roger Bacon?! I thought you were supposed to be the smart one in this gang of misfit dipshits! That is the worst possible idea you can ever have to get Yuri over his depression! Using the Émigré Manuscript has a near 100% track record of being a colossally bad idea. ESPECIALLY, when bringing back the dead proper like. The best results so far have been Kato creating Ouka. But she was just a clone that looked (with enhancements) and sounded like Yoshiko Kawashima and not actually the real person brought back to life. And even then she just ended up dying as well sending Kato into pure "gently caress it, going to destroy the planet" levels of over this poo poo depression. And that's the most successful use of the Émigré magic to date!

If you need a series refresher, the two we've seen the Émigré Manuscript directly used to resurrect a loved one the results were:

In Koudelka, after a year of abducting prostitutes and murdering passing Welsh people as sacrifices, Patrick Heyworth managed to resurrect his dead, Elaine! Well, just her body... Didn't quite get the soul returned to a mortal vessel part down... In fact, she turned into a ghost. So the result of the body itself was just a magically infused, animalistic flesh golem that could contort into a nightmare creature. It immediately killed Patrick and anyone else that ventured near. It eventually turned into an unstoppable giant bug monster that literally needs divine intervention from Capital G God to Rapture it out of existence.

Conclusion: This is an insanely bad idea!

In the original Shadow Hearts, a Dr. Jack in London couldn't get over the death of his mother in a very Norman Bates kind of way. Luckily, he got his hands on the Émigré Document from a helpful passing dapper warlock. He then opened an orphanage in order to collect enough stray children as sacrifices to mash into a biopaste in a massive cauldron to resurrect his mother. Yeah... that turned into a soulless giant bug monster composed of orphan biomass... Oh and the guy that performed the ritual struck up the ire of Yuri and his previous band and got punched to death. But not before seeing the monster mash version of his mom and it getting punched to death too.

But surely, the third time is the charm! There is no way we would have to face a grim insectoid revenant of Alice Elliot's corpse. Roger Bacon is a professional. We probably won't have to murder dozens of abducted prostitutes or orphans to bring back Alice!

Meanwhile, at the Fountain of Sukune...

You want to see me?
That is kind of out of the blue. But I'm here.

So, how is he doing?
He's still pretty depressed.
Roger is talking with him now. I'm sure he'll find a decent way to cheer him up.
I'm sure he will be fine soon.
Hmm...
Yes. He is so much like my brother. Inside and out.
Is... is he really?
Spike up his hair some more and throw him in a green coat and they could be twins.

Music: Relaxation Mood ~ Relief

You care for him, don't you?
...Um.
<nods> Yes, I like him a lot.
<nods> I thought so.
You don't spend all afternoon staring at a distance at someone while they're depressed otherwise. It would just be creepy then.

A woman like me... Do you... think he could ever love me?
Love you?
I-I mean you'd know... as his aunt.
We are related by blood and he does look like my brother but... we have only been acquainted for a few weeks. You have known him far longer than I.
Yes. But... I don't really know about this kind of thing.

<chuckles> Oh, come now! Don't be silly! Of course he could love you!
<smiles> Thank you so much.
You're welcome, but... What is it exactly that's worrying you?
<looks to the floor> ......
What is it, my dear?
<holds up hands> Nothing. It's just...
Yes?
I know that he doesn't feel the same way.
Are you sure?
<closes eyes and nods>

Music: Past ~ Personal History

He's still in love with Alice.
Alice?
Again, I don't actually know my nephew or his past very well yet.
His lover. She died protecting him.
But I love him too! More than anything! I don't think he knows how I feel...
My brother was also rather dense. So that would check out.

But you do plan to fight for him? Don't you?
<nods> ...Yes.
I haven't left the main party once.
That boy was born under a strange star.

Saki uses Instant Transmission to reach clear across the shrine cavern to walk up to Karen.

His whole life, he's been fighting with his destiny...
His destiny?
Yes. No matter what he does, he cannot escape.
Just look at the bizarre adventure he has been on trying to do so.

You too, Karin. You were born with a heavy destiny as well.
Me too?
<nods> Yes...

I called you to this place because I wished to give you this.

Saki hands Karin a picture.

?!
It's a photo of him from just before he went overseas.

We only get to see the back of the photo for now. It's going to be really embarrassing for Yuri when it turns out he used to be one of those people that were fugly as sin when they were young children and had a big glow up after they hit puberty.

I thought that... you might like to see what he look like as a child.

Music: Field of God-Dog ~ Village of The Dog God

Well, that was kind of a strange talk. Speaking of strange, the game dumps us at the far end of the path to the Fountain of Sukune. This would lead one to believe we were meant to guide Yuri over to the shrine as that's where the previous scene with Karin ended. But, nope. That place is empty. Karin and the others have already returned to the fold.

Indeed, there is absolutely nothing to do in the village but leave. I'm not sure why the game didn't just dump us back on the world map. In any event, that concludes our adventures in Azabu Kamiyashiki. Now onward back to vague points in Europe to set out on performing the worst possible idea ever!

That was a fairly short but eventful chapter. And we do have some new entries in the ol' Library.

Monster:

"Guys. I ran out of juice. I'm stuck in here. Can someone get me out of this thing? Guys?"

Of mention, we have defeated the entire Iron Soldiers faction. They're in the defunct villainy pile with Sapientes Gladio. Kato's vague world-threatening plans and Operation: Dumbasses Resurrect Yuri's Girlfriend are the only outlying issues.

I like to think the top of it is just jutting out of the ground at a park with kids climbing over it like a jungle gym.

Character:

Kosuke Ishimura, the bed wetter, joins General Heimann from the Prologue to the game as one of two characters who have an out-of-cutscene lower poly model and character portrait that are NEVER used outside their Library entries. We never see this dweeby child or his grandfather ever again.

Video: Episode 110 Highlight Reel
(You should click here for The Bad Idea Zone™)

I do believe we have met every significant named character in the game now. So check out this cute collection of doodle stickers. To get our minds off the TERRIBLE goddamn ideas going down in the plot at the moment.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 21, 2021

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
That sticker with Yuri and Alice is adorable. Clearly a scene from the future when this resurrection goes flawlessly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I like that Rasputin doesn't even rate a sticker.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Goddrat Roger, in 700 years have you never had to deal with someone that's going through some issues? You don't offer to resurrect the dead via almost-certainly-catastrophic forbidden magics every time someone needs to deal with emotions.

I'm starting to think falling back to Earth from the Moon all those times knocked something loose in his head.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Yuri in deeply emotionally troubled state planning to use the magical that has resulted in nothing but horrible supernatural tragedies until this point to resurrect his dead girlfriend?Yeah, this is going to end well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

I like to think the top of it is just jutting out of the ground at a park with kids climbing over it like a jungle gym.

Wouldn't be the only Japanese robot to do that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To be fair, Yuri wasn't going to do it until suddenly the usually irresponsible in a responsible way Roger stepped in.

By the way, remember it's Roger that told Koudelka and company 'lol, this rite was never for bringing people back, the Fomors used it to make mindless labor slaves, it can't work at all'. HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Lenny and Veronica! I remember Lenny and Veronica! From back in the relatively-cheerful times!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Wouldn't be the only Japanese robot to do that.

Ah, Trider G7.

(I only know this from Super Robot Wars).

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Oh that's in Tryder? So that's what Billy's mech was referencing in Xenogears!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
What really makes Operation Resurrect Alice screwed up IMHO is they're putting Operation Stop Kato on hold for it. What if the world blows up while we're working on a really bad idea?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
No, see, Roger's on to something. If you take two catastrophically terrible ideas and ram them into each other at sufficient velocity, they'll cancel out harmlessly and just leave everyone scratching their heads trying to remember what they came into the Inadvisable Ritual Room for. It's science!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Ha ha, no way Yuri's THAT brash or stupid enough--

OH poo poo ROGER, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! :gonk:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

achtungnight posted:

What really makes Operation Resurrect Alice screwed up IMHO is they're putting Operation Stop Kato on hold for it. What if the world blows up while we're working on a really bad idea?

Kato at the very least left a Bond villain clue, saying that the Emigre fuckery will reveal some part of his master plan. On the other hand in the last adventure, back when Yuri was a lot dumber, there's no excuse for him and the team chilling out doing sidequests while Albert was off making phone calls to some Lovecraftian abomination.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I haven't played past this part (last thing I remember with any clarity is the ship dungeon), but Yuri is a rational guy. If this goes forward, he'll come to his senses. Even the most rational person falls prey to their emotions now and then, and Yuri's been through more than most, even by RPG standards

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
We can throw the inevitable horribly monstrous creature that we're a out to create at Kato and solve two problems at once

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Hoo boy this is a terrible idea, also can Roger fight, has he ever been like a secret boss or something? How would he stop Yuri if (ha!) things go south?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Considering Yuri's luck, I'm guessing the Alice-monstrosity will have just enough of her soul to end up taking the Mistletoe curse in Yuri's place.

Yuri will have to live knowing his girlfriend sacrificed herself for his sake for the same thing twice over.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

zealouscub posted:

Hoo boy this is a terrible idea, also can Roger fight, has he ever been like a secret boss or something? How would he stop Yuri if (ha!) things go south?
I assume it was Roger subtly saying that "I'm gonna be doing all the dark magic and ritualing here because you're quite frankly an idiot, your part in this is to stand around watching and murder me if I go off the deep end."

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Hey, maybe Roger of all people, having read the uncut version of the Emigre, knows how to do it “properly”. It’s stated he removed the section on immortality, but maybe he hosed with the other parts, too?

Or maybe they stop at the “create a body” part.

e: also everyone else needed to murk a load of scrubs to accumulate Malice, whereas Yuri's been stomping trash mobs all game. His necklace is a nice, shiny resurrection-red!

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 20, 2021

Malah
May 18, 2015

Roger.

What the gently caress!? :psyduck:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Roger Bacon is a profession.
professional, but I do like the idea of a proper Roger Bacon certificate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

The Émigré magic that Kato used on Ouka... Many famous wizards have tried and failed. Even I've felt its dark call...

To me, this line together with the rest of the exhange implies that Roger is looking to prove he's a better wizard than all the others who've tried the ritual and failed. Maybe that's just me, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lunar Suite posted:

Hey, maybe Roger of all people, having read the uncut version of the Emigre, knows how to do it “properly”. It’s stated he removed the section on immortality, but maybe he hosed with the other parts, too?

Or maybe they stop at the “create a body” part.

e: also everyone else needed to murk a load of scrubs to accumulate Malice, whereas Yuri's been stomping trash mobs all game. His necklace is a nice, shiny resurrection-red!

The body creation is not the hard bit
Its the not having the body get possessed by a murderous eldritch demon anathema to all life.

Also I like the Large Bad Idea Collider theorem.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm starting to think the destroy all life in the active vicinity part of the actual ritual for immortality that Roger used was an unforeseen side effect not even the original Emigre text alluded to. Something like boiling wolf's bane and the bark of an oak tree in your own piss accidentally results in some magic bullshit that most wizards wouldn't even have begun to think of while your own life is spared in the process. And the whole human sacrifice parts of the resurrection ritual might be something he added as troll bait. To the trained eye, it'd read like some mediocre edgelord wizard's ramblings, his own little way of trying to tell real warlocks to stay the gently caress away, and anyone crazy enough to actually do it would eventually get themselves caught due to their incompetence and if that didn't happen, at least the abomination monster would make short work of them after.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 21, 2021

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
the sacrifices are for collecting Malice, which is a deeply dangerous but potent energy source. Malice is 100% necessary for doing poo poo like piercing the veil between death & life or summoning ancient primordial entities. Yuri's been collecting the stuff from killing trash mobs the whole game, so if they did do a ritual there wouldn't be any need for killing a bunch more people.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, didn't Nicolai just release the Vatican's storehouse big toxic waste silo of Malice? Maybe they could use some of that and keep it from being as big a problem. But just because there's no orphan/prostitute slurry this time doesn't mean the resurrection is gonna go all right unless Bacon knows something not in the Manuscript (which is totally possible).

Although I doubt it'll come to an actual resurrection, considering Karin is the Designated Love Interest for this game. Most likely they'll get a Speak With Dead where Alice's ghost shows up for long enough to help with the Mistletoe Curse or some part of the Kato Situation and then tell him to let go of his grief and be happy or something like that before fading away again.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
If there's one thing I appreciate about this, it's that Roger is actually willing to do it for Yuri. Like, I got the feeling throughout the first two games that Roger was too old to give more than a basic level of a gently caress (that being "yeah, the end of the world is probably bad").

But like, at this point he clearly cares a hell of a lot about Yuri if he's even considering doing this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

ultrafilter posted:

To me, this line together with the rest of the exhange implies that Roger is looking to prove he's a better wizard than all the others who've tried the ritual and failed. Maybe that's just me, though.
I mean, if there's anyone who has the actual capability of proving it, it would be Roger.

There's also the fact he's not doing it for himself, unlike all the previous people who've tried using the manuscript. Whether that will matter any, who knows, magic is a fickle beast

FalloutFan56
Jan 3, 2020
Ah, come on guys what's the worst that could happen? I mean yes, it doesn't have a good track record but surely this time it'll work right? ...I really hope Alice's ghost shows up and tells him this is a bad idea.
I also now know what Chaos Wars is and it's both hilarious and hard to watch.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I mean, he *is* the guy who translated the drat thing to start with, that does give him a leg up on his competition.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FalloutFan56 posted:

Ah, come on guys what's the worst that could happen? I mean yes, it doesn't have a good track record but surely this time it'll work right? ...I really hope Alice's ghost shows up and tells him this is a bad idea.

I streamed Chaos Wars for charity once and its worst sin is that it's extremely boring. It plays like a low-rent Phantom Brave.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

FalloutFan56 posted:

Ah, come on guys what's the worst that could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FalloutFan56 posted:

I own the game and have yet to play it for long enough to actually unlock the Shadow Hearts cast. It's a generic but surprisingly playable underneath the bad translation and worse voice acting. Supposedly the voice cast shares several last names with staff working for the localization house, so the working theory is the boss just hired a bunch of relatives to do the VA.