Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Elusive Samurai has been getting more and more interesting. I feel like it's making a case for itself even if it hasn't yet had its shining moment.

I actually liked this chapter for a change. Especially the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's that volume sales are much more important than rankings/the ToC

Yes. Phantom Seer's first volume, for example, is selling very well, despite being in the back of the ToC.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's that volume sales are much more important than rankings/the ToC

Both matter to some extent, if what I've read is right.

A series with really bad volume sales is unlikely to survive, and a series with amazing sales can be at the back of the magazine without risk, but there's a lot of middle ground, depending on series type.

For example, the common wisdom is that ratings matter a lot less for ecchi manga, because voters are more reluctant to admit they're reading them in polls. Meanwhile, gag manga are seldom top sellers, but having a few gives the magazine as a whole better variety, so something like Roboco selling less is fine as long as people reading the magazine like it.

(Good sales still help, of course.)

It also helps if you're drawing an audience Jump wants to cultivate, and it hurts if sales are static, helps to have a unique niche, hurts if you're a veteran pulling rookie numbers, etc. There's a lot going into the math, and sometimes just being surrounded by worse flops can get you a much longer run.

(Phantom Seer's in an interesting place. TOC placement is abysmal, but the sales are pretty solid, with growth potential. 100K over 2 volumes is a pretty solid start, even if it's easy to forget with how insane series like Spy X Family and Kaiju 8 have been. Can't say I've ever seen anything like it.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do we know if Kaiju 8 and Spy X Family are still selling like crazy?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

No idea about Kaiju 8 since I don't remember numbers past the first volume, but SpyXFamily is still moving 6-digits worth of volumes which is pretty insane for stuff that's not in weekly jump.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yes.

Spy X Family crossed eight million copies in circulation with the last volume released, with volume 6 getting a million copy initial print run. Kaiju 8, meanwhile, announced that it has over a million copies in circulation with only two volumes released.

Jump Plus is really going places right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
turns out makng stuff available online for free encourages people to buy stuff as a response lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

turns out makng stuff available online for free encourages people to buy stuff as a response lol

Well, eventually. Jump Plus only really started catching on with Fire Punch a couple of years after it launched. And even then, the hits were respectable, but well below mainline Jump, with titles like Astra Lost In Space and World's End Harem getting Black Clover style numbers on the high end.

Spy X Family and Kaiju 8, meanwhile, are selling better than My Hero Academia, despite not having anime to promote them. It's a pretty impressive jump over their contemporaries. A Jump Plus, if you will.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I Am Fowl posted:

Elusive Samurai has been getting more and more interesting. I feel like it's making a case for itself even if it hasn't yet had its shining moment.

It's not something I look forward to every week, but whenever I turn on the app during new releases, I see that and instantly gravitate towards it.

It's very good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I like The Elusive Samurai, but I'm a little curious about the long-term direction of the plot given the historical events it's based on. According to the Wikipedia article on the real Hojo Tokiyuki, this supposed master of running away got caught and beheaded in the end. Maybe the series will end on a high note with the Emperor pardoning him?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

god i loving love mashles stupid lil celebration bits after every "victory" the crew has

they're always perfectly short and silly

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

I like The Elusive Samurai, but I'm a little curious about the long-term direction of the plot given the historical events it's based on. According to the Wikipedia article on the real Hojo Tokiyuki, this supposed master of running away got caught and beheaded in the end. Maybe the series will end on a high note with the Emperor pardoning him?

Yeah I'm really interested in how the story goes with the foregone conclusion + the priest who's apparently from the future???

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fereydun posted:

god i loving love mashles stupid lil celebration bits after every "victory" the crew has

they're always perfectly short and silly

Yeah they're perfect length and very cute.

Silver2195 posted:

The last page looks like a set-up for the inevitable transition to battle manga...

I know, and I fear for it. Stupid magic hijinks have been great so far.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Unjustice works by forcing someone to do the "opposite" of what their justice is. This is kind of a wibbly wobbly concept if you think about it too hard, but ultimately it means they'll do the opposite of what they think is right, or will force them to commit what they perceive as injustices. Since this caused Billy to attack Juiz, I'm guessing it meant he didn't really want to kill her. Although then he seemed like he was about to finish her off, so I dunno if that was still the unjustice effecting him or not.

Thank you! Really sounds like plot no power. It'll either save the day or never work properly due to some loophole.
We don't know what billy is right? We just know he copies? So he's unoriginal?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Silver2195 posted:

i dont think you need to spoil things that happened irl hundreds of years ago, especially when the intended audience likely knows the history

similarly, does the hyougemono manga end with oribe's seppuku? that would make me sad

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Elusive Samurai was indeed a good chapter. I skipped last week so I'd have 2 this week to try and get a better flow. But this would've been a solid chapter even without that.

Maguchan was nice.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

What happened to High School Family that made people suddenly start liking it? Good to see Elusive Samurai doing well, at least. Phantom Seer and Build King are still doing terribly.

Despite the rough first impressions, High School Family is actually pretty hilarious. This chapter starts off with a weird cliche, but then takes a massive swerve to the absurd. The author is really good at nailing the punchlines at the end. :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Relin posted:

i dont think you need to spoil things that happened irl hundreds of years ago, especially when the intended audience likely knows the history

The manga clearly explains that the intended audience learned a bit about this stuff in school, but forgot it immediately after the test. :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Relin posted:

similarly, does the hyougemono manga end with oribe's seppuku? that would make me sad

I would be very very surprised if even a hardcore otaku westerner had any clue who even a single one of these characters were.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well my first impulse when the series started was to look up the characters and i feel like that wouldn't be uncommon

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Thank you! Really sounds like plot no power. It'll either save the day or never work properly due to some loophole.
We don't know what billy is right? We just know he copies? So he's unoriginal?

I think the recent chapter implied that he can only use the copy power on people who don't believe in him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

love to kill my new series with solid sales performance

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1375797416058818560?s=19

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

At least it sounds like they're giving it a few more chapters to wrap things up, instead of what they did to Guardian of the Witch.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

f

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
:(

I liked Phantom Seer. It had good art and I liked the story so far.

I’d much rather I Tell C get cancelled because that’s a big old turd.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

:(

I liked Phantom Seer. It had good art and I liked the story so far.

I’d much rather I Tell C get cancelled because that’s a big old turd.

I Tell C has a straight up bad concept, but surely it hasn't been in the magazine long enough to be cancelled yet? It's been obvious for a while that Phantom Seer was going to be cancelled soon, along with Build King.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

I Tell C has a straight up bad concept, but surely it hasn't been in the magazine long enough to be cancelled yet? It's been obvious for a while that Phantom Seer was going to be cancelled soon, along with Build King.

I honestly can't think of how a series could get canceled faster than Time Paradox Ghostwriter, and that made it to 14 chaps so I'd say that's about as fast as quickly as a series can get canned. Unless there's something that got killed off sooner? Even Guardian of the Witch made it to 19 chapters.

Bullshit that Bone Collection only got 15 chaps.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Tell C has such a bad concept I don't know how it got made.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, I'd like the praise The Last Saiyuki for handling cancellation well. It superficially does the same thing as Guardian of the Witch (skipping to the end with the good guys succeeding), but it works surprisingly well here because it's set up the setting and characters such that you get a general idea of how and why the good guys succeeded, and it makes sense on a thematic level. Whereas Guardian of the Witch basically goes, "Yay, we magiced/scienced up a solution to the problem somehow!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is there a worse cancellation ending than bleach? sure it was bad for a long time but that ending was legendary

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bleach wasn't cancelled. it ended prematurely because kubo was literally dying from overwork.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah, Bleach was still selling really well, it'd fallen off from like it's highs but was still popular and selling enough to let Kubo finish it how he wanted to. If it wasn't for you know him being sick as poo poo and killing himself trying to keep up with that schedule.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There was the manga about the guy looking for a book to revive his wife, that was great and ended way too quickly.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was the manga about the guy looking for a book to revive his wife, that was great and ended way too quickly.

Don't even mention it. I am still pissed about Marry Grave. :argh:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

Oh it’s been in long enough to be cancelled. (More than a couple chapters was long enough)

I don’t follow rankings or anything so I had no idea Phantom Seer was going to be cancelled. I guess it’s obvious if you follow polls or something but I just read what pops up on the Shonen Jump app. I’m honestly surprised Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin is still running.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Novelty tends to get a series a few more chapters, I think. ACAB Dolphin is at least a fairly novel concept, which I think is one reason it's still around.

Ghostwriter also had a novel concept, which just goes to show how loving awful it was that it died so quickly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Don't even mention it. I am still pissed about Marry Grave. :argh:

At least we got a montage of all the cool stuff we could have seen. :smith:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ghostwriter started out with me going “wow this is a really cool idea, but is it sustainable?” And then I don’t know if it was because it crashed and burned but the answer almost right away was “no it isn’t” and it immediately started in on other ideas.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shame about Phantom Seer getting cancelled, but it just really lacked something to make you get invested in the characters and story.

As for Ghostwriter, the second it introduced the actual author of the manga the MC was plagiarizing and he didn't try all that hard to come clean about the whole thing, it removed any sympathy you might have for the guy. The weirdest thing is that despite being a manga about making manga, it didn't really show that much love about the topic. It doesn't go into the details of the manga-making process, and the MC always seems so stressed and miserable from drawing. It's just not fun at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Novelty tends to get a series a few more chapters, I think. ACAB Dolphin is at least a fairly novel concept, which I think is one reason it's still around.

Dolphin cop series is a huge bummer because Beelzebub was one of my favorite WSJ series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Oh it’s been in long enough to be cancelled. (More than a couple chapters was long enough)

I don’t follow rankings or anything so I had no idea Phantom Seer was going to be cancelled. I guess it’s obvious if you follow polls or something but I just read what pops up on the Shonen Jump app. I’m honestly surprised Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin is still running.

It's long enough to be terrible, but manga tend to get more than 10 chapters even if they're disasters. Chagecha is the only series to be cancelled after just one volume in recent years. Most of the time, they get at least two.

Jump generally wants to know if a series can get an audience before canning it.

As for Dolphin, vets with a success under their belts tend to get more slack. It's most obvious with Samurai Eight, but the basic idea is that if you can connect to audiences once, you probably can figure out how to right the ship again.

Not always true, but that's the theory.

(Which is part of why Seer's cancellation is so weird. What's even happening here?)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 28, 2021