Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All my pedals are beat to poo poo because, well, I use them indiscriminately. The only pedal I sorta use somewhat lightly (pushing the stomp to activate with my hand) is the Semaphore because Nick refurbished mine and I try to keep a good memento because dude was always solid with me.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

quote:

Top10 Super Phasers Under $1400?

indeed, TGP never disappoints

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Gear Page is loving moronic at the best of times. Bunch of boring players who spend all their time chasing their tones rather than playing. And the ones that do play just want to be some older player but slightly different.

They love to fetishise gear to the point of creepy obsession. As exampled by all the "Best Thing Under $2000" threads. Or the million "I put a tube into my amp and now it's a Dumble" sort of poo poo.

Also a lot of "aw we just always did it this way" poo poo. You know the kind.

It is one of my favourite forums to read depending on my mood because it can be as equally hilarious at times as it is infuriating.

Same as audio engineering forums. Lot of gear fetishism as well as a lot of "if I don't abuse my apprentice how will they know I am the king and ruler and one god? That's how my master did it, so they gotta go through it too, it's only fair!"

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

For horribly fascinating forums, I can't go past the Steve Hoffman forums; audiophiles, mastering fetishists and threads like "What did John think of Band On The Run?" and it's 70 fuckin pages long

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
tdpri seems fairly chill

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Stupid:

Remulak fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 22, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
that guitar looks like a ballsack

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have a soft spot for weird and German.

edit: this isn't coming out right but it is what it is, man.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Framus/Warwick Defender Has Logged On

NGL, if I had either a Framus, a Mayones or a Skervesen 7-string I wouldn't loving use anything else.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
These fuckfaces want close to 800 bucks for an entry-level guitar that cost like half of that when it first came out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i wonder why it's so expensive

quote:

Ibanez RG8 Left-handed RARE 2013 RG 8 String guitar lefty left lefthand lh

oh

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
People having an inflated sense of the worth of the gear that they're selling isn't just limited to left handers.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Henning rules. Half the time his humour grates on me, half the time it resonates well. But I appreciate his enthusiasm and more than anything his transparency about his role as a product demonstrator and advertiser. I do miss when he did cheaper and weirder stuff rather than either the latest released stuff or whatever boutique stuff he's given. But he's definitely good value.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

ship it!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

well it does look like poo poo, so this checks out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmfao what the gently caress.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Wark Say posted:

The Framus/Warwick Defender Has Logged On

NGL, if I had either a Framus, a Mayones or a Skervesen 7-string I wouldn't loving use anything else.

Framus sponsors (and makes zany poo poo for) Devin Townsend so they're all right with me.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

re: DIY pedals, it’s only frugal if your time is worthless. If you enjoy building or want to learn or something to make the hours spent on top of the materials cost worth it, then go nuts. if you hate everything beyond breadboarding and/or are short on free time then you’ll end up with a box full of jumbled parts and half drilled chassis. Like me. Waste.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You start by thinking it’ll save you money but it doesn’t. So you build pedals to sell so you can build more pedals. Then you start a company to somehow enable you to eat top ramen while also supporting your expanding building habit.

Quite a bargain.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It's frugal in the same way that learning to play guitar is frugal because you'll never have to buy music again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkwasthenight posted:

It's frugal in the same way that learning to play guitar is frugal because you'll never have to buy music again.
That's so loving dumb that I can almost buy somebody saying something that stupid.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

thats basically what eddie van halen did

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

Henning rules. Half the time his humour grates on me, half the time it resonates well. But I appreciate his enthusiasm and more than anything his transparency about his role as a product demonstrator and advertiser. I do miss when he did cheaper and weirder stuff rather than either the latest released stuff or whatever boutique stuff he's given. But he's definitely good value.

60 Cycle Hum is good for demoing cheap poo poo. He has a bunch of videos displaying cheap Chinese knockoff pedals, one of which I bought based on his video and still love. Just skip the unboxing portions, because what the hell, man, they're just pedals.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

thats basically what eddie van halen did
Eddie was both fairly talented and crazy hard-working at his craft, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/clubpenquinn/status/1374412261964451844?s=20

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Last time I was at GC I tuned probably 30 guitars and did a neck adjustment on two of them. dude behind the counter just gave me a wrench. I guess I come across like I know what I'm doing but I was kinda surprised he just let some rando dude wrench on their stuff

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lol that rules

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gramps posted:

Last time I was at GC I tuned probably 30 guitars and did a neck adjustment on two of them. dude behind the counter just gave me a wrench. I guess I come across like I know what I'm doing but I was kinda surprised he just let some rando dude wrench on their stuff

I just damage them then pull em out of the dumpster later

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Snowy posted:

I just damage them then pull em out of the dumpster later

"oh im not supposed to use this silver dollar as a pick? poo poo sorry man"

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/premierguitar/status/1376935055143137280

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

something tells me that bootweeker brand with 364 followers doesn’t have the rights to that image

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Better buy one now before they get cease and desisted and it becomes a collectors item.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Good point, snap em up up fast for that sweet resale money

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I’d rather have the card

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d rather have a Doc Ellis card pedal

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Having known a fair few of those dudes now I can confirm what you probably already know: The inevitable cease & desist they receive is part of the marketing strategy. When you don't need to sell millions of units to be successful the spotlight it gives is a bargain for the no-money they spent.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeths-dave-mustaine-officially-announces-partnership-with-gibson/

yeah, makes sense I guess

just kinda...I dunno, feels kinda lame

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, so loving funny:
  • My luthier/repair professor has a Jackson Mustaine King V.
  • A friend slightly older than me still swears by his ESP DV8.
  • I still have my Dean VMNT
  • I wonder if one of my younger students/friends is going to buy this dumbness
The Lion King was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glad to see Dave looking in high spirits but man, time has not been kind to him.