Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I got the train running on that one. What were the Alaska talks and what happened there, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/mont_jiang/status/1373867029346803716?s=21
Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ReutersIndia/status/1373356236096294913?s=20

hmmm. India has always had close ties to Russia and is one of, if not biggest, buyer of its arms.

India has a deal for the S-400. Which the US sanctioned Turkey over for purchasing.

I wonder if they'll be able to thread the needle here. India has greatly stepped up it purchase of weapons from the US and Modi does seems to be moving away from India's non-alignment, but other officials seem very reluctant.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
India already pressed the brake on confrontation with China
* reach tank/defensive structure withdrawal agreement with China
* reach bufferzone agreement with China in the finger area
* reach short term cease fire agreement with Pakistan.
* reopen 15 investment projects from China (this is the biggest signal)
* India and China had a high level border meeting on the same day of the quad meeting

It's just that neither China nor India talk about it. India still go to the quad meeting but the joined statement doesn't mention China. Also India is trying to make American let them mass produce the Johnson Johnson vaccine. I mean there is no reason why the vaccine initiative need to go through the quad since Japan and Australia are completely useless. But if India can sucker the Johnson vaccine from Biden, more power to Modi.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yup, here’s a source that’s usually sympathetic to Pakistan

"TRT World posted:

Pakistan’s top leadership this week [indicated](https://www.dawn.com/news/1613200/time-to-bury-the-past-and-move-forward-coas-bajwa-on-indo-pak-ties) that it is willing to start talks to normalise ties with India, prompting some observers to wonder what has caused a sudden change of heart.

Already fraught relations between the two nuclear-armed South Asian neighbours hit rock bottom in August 2019 when New Delhi unilaterally stripped the nominal autonomy of the disputed territory of Kashmir - the only Muslim-majority state in India.

Islamabad has all along maintained that resolution of the Kashmir issue must be at the heart of any future dialogue.

Even now Prime Minister Imran Khan and the powerful army chief, Qamar Javed Bajwa, preconditioned talks to peace in the Himalyan region, part of which is under Pakistan's control. What’s missing is the usually fiery rhetoric. In a January speech, Khan likened Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government to the “Nazis”.

Speaking at a security forum in Islamabad on Wednesday, Pakistani’s Prime Minister Imran Khan said Kashmir was the “lone irritant” hampering economic integration of the region. A day later, Bajawa echoed similar sentiment, saying it was time to “bury the past and move forward.”

“Forget all this, we must learn to see through these statements,” says Zafar Hilaly, a former Pakistani diplomat and political analyst, adding that Islamabad is probably trying to appease US President Joe Biden.

“Biden is completely, utterly, totally with India. He pretends that he’s concerned about India’s (deteriorating) human rights record but he’s arming India to the teeth.”

Modi was among the leaders alongside Japanese and Australian prime ministers who attended the Quad summit last week - the first such official meeting Biden hosted since taking office.

On Friday, the US Defense Secretary Llyod Austin arrived in New Delhi on a three-day trip, which includes a meeting with his Indian counterpart and discussions on China and Afghanistan. This is Austin’s first foreign tour, signifying the importance the Biden administration attaches to cementing ties with the South Asian country.

Hilaly says there’s little hope for lasting peace as Modi’s Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) continues to pursue anti-Muslim policies.

**Until a bomb goes off **

Some Indian analysts say that Islamabad’s eagerness is to counter India’s efforts to lobby other countries into imposing sanctions on Pakistan for its alleged role in financing militant groups.

“There is increasing pressure from FATF,” says Ajit Singh, a South Asia analyst at the New Delhi-based Institute of Conflict Management, referring to the Financial Action Task Force, a Paris-based multilateral organisation that oversees what steps states have taken to curb money laundering.

Pakistan is among the countries, including Albania and Morocco, which are part of an FATF grey list. These countries have been asked to improve financial compliance and introduce relevant laws to avoid sanctions.

“It is very difficult for Pakistan to stop supporting Kashmir-centric terror groups. But if the Pakistan leadership provides lip service (towards peace), at least it will help take off some of the international pressure and maybe even help them get out of the grey list,” says Singh.

But there’s reason to believe that the two sides are concurrently working towards some sort of rapprochement. And maybe it’s India that took the first step.

“India has made deliberate attempts since 2015 (after Modi came to power) to sideline Pakistan internationally and not talk to it. So I think the main switch has to come from the India side,” Dr Gareth Price, a South Asia expert at the Chatham House.

“I think there has probably been some backchannel communication to see if they can start engaging.”

In a surprise move, top Indian and Pakistani military officers agreed last month to a ceasefire along the heavily guarded border. While that’s nothing unusual and from time to time the two militaries have taken a break in launching projectiles at one another, it came at a time of heightened tension.

The two neighbours have fought three wars and came to the verge of another in early 2019 after dozens of Indian soldiers were killed in a suicide attack, which India blamed on Pakistan.

Price says New Delhi’s desire to have a say in the affairs of a war-torn Afghanistan could also be one of the reasons behind the detente.

“Certainly Pakistan can not be isolated because whatever happens in Afghanistan, it is going to have a role in it,” he says.

The US has pulled out most of its troops from Afghanistan where the government of President Ashraf Ghani - who has close ties with India - is feeling pressure from the Pakistan-aligned Taliban.

The economic fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic could have played a part in bringing the two sides closer, says Price.

“Both countries are perfectly capable of talking to each other. A lot of the tension along the border is for show. This cycle of talks has gone on since the 1980s.

“But it often happens that when they start negotiations, a bomb goes off, killing Indian soldiers, India blames Pakistan and the talks are called off.”

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

lol vaccine nationalism

TBH I think the reason the UK vaccine rollout has gone so well is because it's the Oxford vaccine, we're the first, rah rah the EU are doing badly

If we had to accept the Pfizer (or God forbid the Sinovac vaccine) then we'd see just as much rejection of it

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Me reaping: Yes, yes!!

Me sowing:

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1373779835718303747?s=19

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

TBH I think the reason the UK vaccine rollout has gone so well is because it's the Oxford vaccine, we're the first, rah rah the EU are doing badly

If we had to accept the Pfizer (or God forbid the Sinovac vaccine) then we'd see just as much rejection of it

I don't think demand is the limiting factor here. The EU is just institutionally allergic to telling companies what to do, so a lot of their domestic production gets exported.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

people refusing to get vaccinated if they know it's going to be Sinovac is precisely what's happening here in the PH

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

well given Filipino politicians and leaders are getting private access to western vaccines, it’s not surprising that sinovac is seen as an inferior product by the general population

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

well given Filipino politicians and leaders are getting private access to western vaccines, it’s not surprising that sinovac is seen as an inferior product by the general population

the news that broke in December of last year about Duterte's security detail getting vaccinated illegally had them using Sinopharm (which is different from Sinovac, and isn't approved for use here, even up to today)

besides that, what we've seen instead are people like Duterte and Health Secretary Duque suddenly deciding to pass on getting vaccinated, using their advanced age as an excuse

now that there actually is a small supply of vaccines available, we're starting to see small-time politicians like mayors and town councilors skipping the line, but at best they're getting AZ if not Sinovac

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Singapore’s the only “developed” country which China has shipped vaccines to and they’ve declined to use it so far in lieu of a mix of AZ and Pfizer. they have a pretty good healthcare system which doesn’t play politics so that should indicate general uncertainty about sinovac

the EU not certifying sinovac for their vaccine passport program would be a major blow to getting international adoption of it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

stephenthinkpad posted:

India already pressed the brake on confrontation with China
Braking and backing the car up are not the same thing.

quote:

* reach tank/defensive structure withdrawal agreement with China
* reach bufferzone agreement with China in the finger area
I'm aware. I'm the one who posted the news articles about it. Military clashes risk outright war and that's not benefitical. Not at the moment at least. Border issue has not been resolved.

quote:

* reach short term cease fire agreement with Pakistan.
These tend to fall through quickly and I think you're misreading what success here means. If it holds India can focus more of it's military against China instead of Pakistan.

quote:

* reopen 15 investment projects from China (this is the biggest signal)
An unfortunate typo here. India froze 150 investments. They've cleared 45. A ban on Huawei in June looks likely. No movement on unbanning China-made apps or Chinese companies from bidding for stakes in state-run firms.

quote:

* India and China had a high level border meeting on the same day of the quad meeting

A positive development, but remember that while militaries have been pulled back, they are doing so to reposition. PLA is still moving forces into the rear areas and building capabilities to rapidly deploy force to the Line of Actual Control. The Indian Army is also building and planning for rapid deployment of reserves across the LAC.

quote:

It's just that neither China nor India talk about it. India still go to the quad meeting but the joined statement doesn't mention China. Also India is trying to make American let them mass produce the Johnson Johnson vaccine. I mean there is no reason why the vaccine initiative need to go through the quad since Japan and Australia are completely useless. But if India can sucker the Johnson vaccine from Biden, more power to Modi.
India didn't join that statement because it is hosting the BRICS summit later this year and wants it to be a smooth success.

You're a bit behind the news on the vaccine. India has already been approved to mass produce the Johnson vaccine.

China-India relations look to be headed downward to me over the med-term, but that's not what I was originally posting about. I was wondering how India balances its growing ties with the US to its existing close relationship with Russia. That's one of the strongest obstacles preventing India fully aligning with the US.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Mar 22, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My post was not quoting your post? Why do you think I was replying you on the Russia stuff? I was just putting some new Sino-India news together which I was too lazy to post separately.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Zenz gets alot of attention, but the "news agency" he relied on for his numbers should get a bit of scrutiny.
Note he doesn't actually quote them, he quotes this Japan Newsweek article which claims (in 2018 no less) that 20-40 percent of the entire Uighur population are in camps, citing "Istiqlal TV". Istiklal is a turkic word meaning "Independence". Istiklal Tv goes by a few other names, and rebrands itself every couple years or so. It's current incarnation is the "Turkistan Times". Before then it was the "East Turkistan News Agency". Strangely, for an organization that is supposedly an outlet for whistleblowers or whatever they pose as, there is no way to get in contact with whoever is running it, and they lack a physical office here in Istanbul. You can no longer find the article claiming 20-40% of the population is in camps, as that article was on one of the former websites they've since nuked. I've been loving around with wayback but no luck yet. They did recently start an English channel with a handfull of translated interviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRAekgtUBc
This video claims to be an interview with a woman who served as a teacher in the camps, but the womans testimony feels odd in comparison with similar interviews with people who suffered in places like the Ogaden, or Myanmar, or Kashmir. Or even the testimony of other Uighurs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3ZE-gqhhE
Here she is four days ago with another story about Uighurs being skinned alive. Make your own judgements about the reliability of this org, and it's "information". It looks like these videos have contact information in their news ticker ribbons, maybe I'll do some sleuthing in my freetime.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say Russia isn’t the only issue but Iran as well. More to the point, India is still going to be wary of China in the near future but siding with the US fully probably wouldn’t gain them as much as they would lose.by disrupting the delicate balance of power that is in place in Eurasia at the moment.

Also, India can already buy Western arms and probably has alternatives to the f-35. Also, a FTA with the US is unlikely.

I can see India growing closer to US to a point but they really don’t have much to gain from being in its orbit. If anything it makes far more sense to simply play different sides each other.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

people refusing to get vaccinated if they know it's going to be Sinovac is precisely what's happening here in the PH

bolsonaro tried to push that one here (with Russia too) and got incredibly owned by memes of all things

to summarize the sentiment it goes like "you are talking with people who take drinks from strangers during carnival and eat street food that might as well be irradiated, meanwhile China builds a railroad in a week and Russia has put the first person in space, these guys are more than legit"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1374029196758949893

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
CNN front page has a story on parent/children separations in Xinjiang right next to a story on a US border patrol facility in Texas...

Demonic cracker nation etc etc

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well since EU and Canada has done it, lets see if ScoMo has the balls to do it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Gorman Thomas posted:

CNN front page has a story on parent/children separations in Xinjiang right next to a story on a US border patrol facility in Texas...

"You see China separates families while we unite families when we put them in detention centers with no AC or water."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorman Thomas posted:

CNN could actually find both the parents living outside of China AND the children in Xinjiang

which is more than I can say for the parents and children separated by ICE at the US border

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
US really going to grandstand about how they handle undocumented immigrants better than China but how else do you manufacture consent?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

#stopasianhate

but we want to stop the development of 1.3 billion of them, cause chaotic regime change that'll kill hundreds of thousands of people, and ideally balkanize the country so we can control its headwaters, just to be sure

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SCS_PI/status/1373886128177041410

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

China is just going to devote to shitposting while US tries the 'I'm not touching you' trick.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DesertIslandHermit posted:

China is just going to devote to shitposting while US tries the 'I'm not touching you' trick.
i checked in on CCTV today and there's a video of a boomer singing about the motherland as a bunch of dudes do cool kung fu moves on the great wall. i've gotta send this to the china watchers and have them weigh in about xi jinping's new red guards... i'm hearing back... apparently the kung fu dudes are saying "ok boomer" but they're not doing it in a mean-spirited way or asking if the boomer is okay, they're acknowledging orders to kick america in the balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOIPtWoVyRU

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Mar 22, 2021

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

cmon shoot that poo poo down lets do this

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

cmon shoot that poo poo down lets do this

I will lmao until death if Biden prompts war against China. It's either him or the Republican that comes after him that says Biden didn't do enough.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

VideoTapir posted:

Why does the US military spend millions training non koreans to speak the language (and having half of them fail not because the language is hard but because they didn't choose korean and don't give a gently caress) when there are a couple million koreans in the US who would at least have connections to the language and therefore some motivation?

I am pretty sure it is so there is a supply of korean speakers who can spy on south korea...I am not sure that non koreans are any less risk for blabbing to NK.

As a former Navy Cryptologic Officer, part of my job involved canvassing the crew of whatever ship I was stationed on to look for native speakers, including Korean speakers. We often bring them up to the bridge to translate on ship-to-ship radio. We can't use them for anything classified, but they're a valuable resource nonetheless.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ltugo posted:

As a former Navy Cryptologic Officer, part of my job involved canvassing the crew of whatever ship I was stationed on to look for native speakers, including Korean speakers. We often bring them up to the bridge to translate on ship-to-ship radio. We can't use them for anything classified, but they're a valuable resource nonetheless.

nice avatar, seaman

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Countries do this all the time; Russia is pretty infamous for doing it to Canada constantly lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
not looking forward to ww3 tbh

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah China send most her military planes down this southwest part of Taiwan, inside Taiwan's ADIZ. This part has deeper ocean and where the submarines will go.

In other unrelated news, Taiwan just dropped 2 ancient F4E today.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

paul_soccer12 posted:

nice avatar, seaman

I earned it!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

not looking forward to ww3 tbh

I want to know who is going to start it (It’s America but which President).

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

US really going to grandstand about how they handle undocumented immigrants better than China but how else do you manufacture consent?

xinjiang isn't immigrants it's just chinese citizens that are an ethnic minority

honestly idk how China handles undocumented immegrants. that one white journalist who spent 9 years writing in china without a work visa to do journalism makes me think China is probably more chill

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

I want to know who is going to start it (It’s America but which President).

https://i.imgur.com/3OOfmiX.mp4

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Antonymous posted:

xinjiang isn't immigrants it's just chinese citizens that are an ethnic minority

Yeah I worded that badly. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

US really going to grandstand about how they handle muslims better than China but how else do you manufacture consent?