Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda depressing that Watson being an Afghanistan veteran hasn't dated the character at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

One of the few well-done spots of BBC Sherlock. Opening with Watson's PTSD was a very, very smart move on both a textual and metatextual level.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big part of the original Holmes stories is that Watson is a very intelligent person and a professional doctor who Holmes keeps on hand because of his medical knowledge, with the common sense and people skills being a bonus. The ideal narrator for a super-intelligent character is almost as smart as they are, and has genuine skills to be of use to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYosZDMIpY4

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Poirot doesn't have any meaningful relationships with women because the stories aren't really about Poirot. He's just a pile of eccentricities that serves as a familiar base to readers. The majority of the content isn't any different than Agatha Christie's other novels, which are typically easy going, pleasant reads. The longer Sherlock Holmes stories suffer because everything that isn't the setup and resolution of the mystery are not as well done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Russian holmes series is surprisingly good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

I would read a story where it turns out the guy in a bathtub with two bullet holes in the back of his head really was suicide.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

Poirot doesn't have any meaningful relationships with women because the stories aren't really about Poirot. He's just a pile of eccentricities that serves as a familiar base to readers. The majority of the content isn't any different than Agatha Christie's other novels, which are typically easy going, pleasant reads. The longer Sherlock Holmes stories suffer because everything that isn't the setup and resolution of the mystery are not as well done.

Yes, I was half-joking and probably Christie overlooked the fact, and/or designed Poirot as "do not define anything too specific" beyond the upper class adjacent famous ex-police chief. He did run the Brussels police force at one point, and made a point in his last case about taking life, if it is the only thing he can do to prevent murder from taking a place.

But it did not stop Agatha from making him a sort of pervert in that particular case by the standards of the time, considering the capability to observe young women's knees in detail, work in a women-only boarding school, and be able to conclusively deduct things from them. It could sort-of-work if the tennis outfits were above-knee length but they didn't do even that in the TV version IIRC, so basically it made Poirot look like a suspected peeping Tom.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The thing about Poirot as written is that he is old. In his very first appearance he is supposed to be a retired belgian police officer. Christie herself said it was a major mistake making him so old. It limits him so much - either he's a super creepy old man or he's a grandpa figure to any young people he meets.

The knees thing strikes me as something Christie herself noticed as a mother of daughters (which isn't even true but anyway) and gifted to Poirot without considering how weird it would sound coming from an elderly bachelor.

Edit: Christie herself grew to loathe Poirot - she hated his egotism, smugness and general character. She actually liked Miss Marple, but said she was a much harder character to introduce into situations because she was a quiet lady in a country village, whereas Poirot was a professional.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Mar 21, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
how about miss marple, she’s pretty cool

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would read a story where it turns out the guy in a bathtub with two bullet holes in the back of his head really was suicide.

"So what you're saying, Holmes, is that Masaryk closed the window after himself when he jumped out of it?"
"Sure Watson. It happens all the time...if you know what I mean."

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.
On the subject of Agatha Christie books that didn't age well: Taken at the Flood(aka There is a Tide...) has a romance subplot where:

a young woman just discharged, IIRC, from the WAVES or being a nurse or something similar (it's been years since I read the book) after WWII returns to her rural village, where she finds herself restless and longing for something more. Said village includes a dude who's been pursuing her for marriage since they were young and who she's never really felt any romantic inclination towards (there might also have been something about her doubting the sincerity of his feelings?); she keeps telling him this but in true misogynist fashion, he refuses to take no for an answer. She debates about leaving the village to iirc, take up nursing work in South Africa, but is hesitant to take such a huge life changing step. Meanwhile the dude continues to pester her, to the point where she thinks about accepting his proposal because she's so desperate for a life change but she knows she doesn't feel that way about him and never will. I think she might also have a romantic thing with the guy who ends up being the murderer? So she's also got that.

Poirot arrives in the village in pursuit of crime and she tells him about her problems. He very kindly and sensibly advises her to truly figure out what she wants out of life, but in his opinion, she should opt for adventure and the nursing job. She continues to dither. Then, towards the end of the book, something happens that makes Jerk #1 furious with her, to the point that he actually attempts to strangle her out of rage.

Does she call the loving cops on him and get him arrested for assault and attempted murder? She does not. Instead, she decides that his rage-induced strangulation proves that he really did love her all along and decides to loving marry him. And does.

The TV adaptation changed that poo poo and rightfully so: instead her last scene is her leaving on a plane to start a new life elsewhere.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There is actually is a case where watson shoots a guy and it gets officially reported as a suicide but that wasn't the murder holmes was called in on.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tunicate posted:

Which one? The one that came from the Soviet era or another one?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Best Holmes is Secret of the Pyramid, or at least my decade-old memories of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Best Holmes is In the 22nd Century

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I think there was an episode of Forensic Files along these lines. Cheap, poorly maintained handgun was the culprit. I think. Could be remembering incorrectly.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

One of the few well-done spots of BBC Sherlock. Opening with Watson's PTSD was a very, very smart move on both a textual and metatextual level.

My personal favourite Holmes adaptation will always be the BBC radio plays with Clive Merrison and Micheal Williams and iirc that version of A Study in Scarlet begins with Watson being injured in Afghanistan too. That's one of the few adaptations I can think of that takes the idea Watson is disabled and traumatised and makes it a believable ongoing thread that's relevant to his character. Honestly, they do a great job throughout the series of building the characters with the voice acting and added vignettes, while still primarily being a very straightforward set of adaptations. The fact that both the main characters are clearly but non-explicitly shown as dealing with mental health problems grounds their friendship without making it maudlin or exploitative.

Holmes can be an obsessive, impulsive dick but is still mostly likeable and when he hurts Watson's feelings he's shown as genuinely, if clumsily, contrite. And Watson reacts to Holmes' more worrying behaviour - like shooting up his own wall, or shooting up cocaine - with a very relatable mix of worry, anger and sometimes resigned fondness that's surprisingly realistic to how it feels to have a very dear friend who does impulsive self-destructive things when they're not feeling well.

Also they treat the Irene Adler thing straight up as presented in the text, which is nice because I think the character who actually appears in the story - the scandalous woman who outsmarts Holmes and gets to marry her paramour and keep her collateral - is more interesting than the "romantic heroine" or "ambiguously villainous sexy lady" she ends up getting adapted as.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The already mentioned Hbomberguy's essay has a lenghty section on how Moffat was able to turn a very positive representation (for the time) female character - smart enough to fool Holmes and to earn his respect - into...a dominatrix that is outsmarted by Holmes, needs to be saved by him and also is in love with him.
Moffat's Moriarty, while being somewhat closer to the original (IE: his role being Holmes brilliant enemy), is culpable of every possible bad writing stereotype, the worst one being he's a living mystery box with no pay-off, slathered over every single seemingly unrelated thing happening in the world.
In fact, Moffat's main issue as a writer is that all of his worlds gravitate 100% around the protagonist, and everything everyone does is either in function or to oppose them. In Sherlock's case, this is made even worse by the reshoots that turn completely unrelated episodes into the big overarching MORIARTY HAS AN EVIL PLAN plot that ultimately goes nowhere.

Speaking of Adler and Moriarty at large, one issue both characters share is that they are 1-off characters in the originals and are instead treated as recurring characters in most adaptations. They have the Boba Fett syndrome of being too cool not to remember while actually having very little "screen time" and development in the original material.

E: I want to jump on the David Suchet :bandwagon: cause he's such an awesome Poirot he puts every other single actor portraying the belgian detective into a bad light simply by existing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The most puzzling thing about the Moffat-Gatiss collaborations to me is the weird contempt that comes through for the original material. Sherlock, Jekyll, Dracula - I think they genuinely do love the source material, at least I know Gatiss does and i've no real reason to think Moffat doesn't. But then why mock it so ceaselessly? Why make spiteful, contemptuous references to the original stories? Why be cruel to people who are picking up what you're putting down? I mean poo poo, you don't *have* to write TV shows, just don't if it makes you so cross. I dunno.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HopperUK posted:

The most puzzling thing about the Moffat-Gatiss collaborations to me is the weird contempt that comes through for the original material. Sherlock, Jekyll, Dracula - I think they genuinely do love the source material, at least I know Gatiss does and i've no real reason to think Moffat doesn't. But then why mock it so ceaselessly? Why make spiteful, contemptuous references to the original stories? Why be cruel to people who are picking up what you're putting down? I mean poo poo, you don't *have* to write TV shows, just don't if it makes you so cross. I dunno.

Insecurity, at a guess. Irony poisoning is a big big thing these days, you can't be caught being completely sincere

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

HopperUK posted:

A lot of it comes, I think, from a "this is not your dad's Sherlock/Jekyll/Dracula" syndrome which affects a lot of modern productions. It usually stems from the need to sell a product to a different audience and usually manages to piss off both the old fans and the new target audience. See also: 95% of any video game or comic book adaptation (until recent years at least) - from the classic Super Mario Bros/Street Fighter and X-Men Origins: Wolverine to a 2020 Sonic movie with the main character that looks like a weird CGI monster instead of the original look (which is rather important for a character whose identifying characteristics are almost entirely tied to the look itself).

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Mar 22, 2021

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

The already mentioned Hbomberguy's essay has a lenghty section on how Moffat was able to turn a very positive representation (for the time) female character - smart enough to fool Holmes and to earn his respect - into...a dominatrix that is outsmarted by Holmes, needs to be saved by him and also is in love with him.

Yeah, Moffat's Adler is by far one of the most egregious. A Scandal in Belgravia was the exact moment I decided to stop giving it a chance; not only was it the least respectful take on the character possible, the plot somehow managed to be way less fun than A Scandal in Bohemia. Like I'd much rather have watched Holmes dick about in disguise and have his elaborate setups clowned on - it's been a while since I read it but I swear she tricks him into officiating her wedding at one point - than whatever boring direction involving the CIA they ended up taking the plot in.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

small ghost posted:

Like I'd much rather have watched Holmes dick about in disguise and have his elaborate setups clowned on - it's been a while since I read it but I swear she tricks him into officiating her wedding at one point -

They drag him in to be a witness at the wedding, yeah, and he thinks it's really funny.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IMO Holmes was better when he was a complete weirdo genius that refused to retain any knowledge that wasn't immediately useful to him as a detective so Watson had to be the guy to remind him of poo poo like the earth revolving around the sun.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

IMO Holmes was better when he was a complete weirdo genius that refused to retain any knowledge that wasn't immediately useful to him as a detective so Watson had to be the guy to remind him of poo poo like the earth revolving around the sun.

Holmes response to being told that was great because he just says "cool now I'm going to forget you said that so I don't waste precious brain space with useless information".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Since we're talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ReidRansom posted:

I think there was an episode of Forensic Files along these lines. Cheap, poorly maintained handgun was the culprit. I think. Could be remembering incorrectly.

This sounds familiar to me too. Really weird situation.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Started watching The Monster Squad. Lot of kids saying slurs in this movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember watching that because to my then-friend it was "his" special movie he aspired to one day make himself (lol), and even in the 00s I remember being a bit :kstare: at all the "realistic" dialogue of slurs coupled with the out-of-nowhere revelation that the scary old German guy was a Holocaust survivor side by side with the goofy Dracula/Wolfman poo poo.

Don't get me wrong I see why it was a cult classic-- that is how certain kids would talk back then and overall I commend it for clearly succeeding at its goals, but the dissonance is pretty jarring in a bad way. Definitely keeps it from being "good" good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The virgin stuff is not great either. And Frankenstein’s monster did nothing wrong and should have been able to stay on Earth.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Our local PBS affiliates tend to show the same handful of Midsomer Murders episodes for months at a time, then will switch to a different handful, seeming to never actually cycle through the whole show or even a full series.

Recently we upgraded stuff so now we get the Ovation channel too, which shows ALL the Midsomer Murders episodes, and I thought to myself, how splendid! I can see what I've been missing out on! :)

I started watching the first episode of the entire show and I'm only about halfway through it but holy poo poo "haha" that casual 1997 homophobia played for laughs :stare: You have troy being a floppy haired douchebag with his commentary, where it's like okay I guess it's plausible we're not supposed to agree with him but it's also definitely not pitting him as being "in the wrong," especially since the gay character in question is written tremendously creepy and stereotypically, including sharing a disquietingly audible on-the-lips kiss with his mother (comfortably resting in the "sissy" subset of mama's boys, who probably turned gay because their moms loved on them too much, of course). Like the character is clearly supposed to be uncomfortable and creepy but looking back from 24 years later, his being flamboyantly gay really shouldn't even factor in to the discomfort equation here!

I'm glad as a society we've mostly moved past that in our media but it's really jarring to take in, especially sinc ein all the PBS-safe repeats I've seen, I don't remember seeing anything close to it in tone*, and I'm wondering now if the other episodes I've missed out on are going to feature more fun cultural backsteps to surprise me

*i've watched too many british crime solving shows, but i'm pretty certain that later years feature gay characters who aren't portrayed grossly and are in fact presented sympathetically; then again I might just be spoiled by and/or confusing things with Miss Fisher and like, Father freaking Brown

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The only thing I recall about Midsomer Murders is that a few years into the show someone asked one of the showrunners (writer? I forget) whether they'd have a more diverse cast and he said something like he thought it'd spoil the tone of the village involved. It was weird and racist. Sorry to be so vague but it pissed me off even back then.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It was one of the producers; he was told to step down in 2011 after he said that ""We just don't have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn't be the English village with them. It just wouldn't work" and claimed that the show was "the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

It was one of the producers; he was told to step down in 2011 after he said that ""We just don't have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn't be the English village with them. It just wouldn't work" and claimed that the show was "the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way".
https://i.imgur.com/TkxexFv.mp4

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

HopperUK posted:

The only thing I recall about Midsomer Murders is that a few years into the show someone asked one of the showrunners (writer? I forget) whether they'd have a more diverse cast and he said something like he thought it'd spoil the tone of the village involved. It was weird and racist. Sorry to be so vague but it pissed me off even back then.

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, this is kinda right in the worst possible way. The other day my (heavily pregnant) wife was walking the dog around the house and a tiny old lady approached her. She muttered "You disgust me" - probably louder than she intended to - then asked my wife directions to a local landmark (that anyone living in the area would know). Then she asked her if she was Brazilian. Finally, she started a rant about all the terrible things immigrants were doing to the neighborhood and how things use to be different and better. So...+1 for accuracy I guess?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean, this is kinda right in the worst possible way. The other day my (heavily pregnant) wife was walking the dog around the house and a tiny old lady approached her. She muttered "You disgust me" - probably louder than she intended to - then asked my wife directions to a local landmark (that anyone living in the area would know). Then she asked her if she was Brazilian. Finally, she started a rant about all the terrible things immigrants were doing to the neighborhood and how things use to be different and better. So...+1 for accuracy I guess?

Eugh. Whereabouts in the UK is this?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Roblo posted:

Eugh. Whereabouts in the UK is this?
West side of the Irish Sea in a medium to large city in a neighborhood that is 85% people that have been there for generations, so it kinda fits the "village" part of the story - an area that has only recently started to see any kind of diverse people. Tbf, we've always been treated nicely when visiting small towns, but I expect things to be different if you are living there instead of being the news of the day at the local pub.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of these communities consider you an unwelcome stranger if your grandparents didn't know their grandparents.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah my girlfriend and I were briefly considering moving to a region like that but realized very quickly we'd have better luck climbing a sheer rock face covered in butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of these communities consider you an unwelcome stranger if your grandparents didn't know their grandparents.

In America we call that New England parochialism.