Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah the guideline is more geared towards small typos and issues that are really not worth fixing. He said he'll do so for bigger stuff like misinformation, outdated info, or just wanting to get rid of slurs and such, and old usernames would likely fall under the first two. Like Jewel said, no harm in trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Alright, thanks! I figured it'd be fine but didn't want to bug them needlessly.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Okay, so I don't have a test post yet because the actual content I want to LP doesn't exist yet, but I'm trying to use the time waiting for it to exist to work out technical kinks. So one of the big things about making LPs archival friendly is to keep images to 900 pixel width or less, yes? The game I'm hoping to work with has a pretty wide base resolution. So I'd like to ask you guys what looks best?

For reference, this is the full size image with no modifications.

This is the image with the sides cropped out to make it 900 wide.

This is the image straight resized to 900 wide.

This is the game rendering at a non-HD resolution slightly resized to 900 wide.

Which of these bottom three looks best for readability? I have an idea what might be right, but I want multiple opinions.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd personally say the last one looks best, but just avoid using the resized image because the text might become unreadable on smaller displays or if you don't have 20/20 vision. The text on the resized gameplay is better, though you might want to go with cropped if text readability might end up being an issue.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Commander Keene posted:

I'd personally say the last one looks best, but just avoid using the resized image because the text might become unreadable on smaller displays or if you don't have 20/20 vision. The text on the resized gameplay is better, though you might want to go with cropped if text readability might end up being an issue.
Agree. If you are cropping text go with resize16-9.png, as it allows for maximum width. If you are not cropping the text, resize4-3.png is the best compromise imo. Mind that cropping the text could add a lot of admin time, depending on how text heavy the game is.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

After mulling it over a bit I think it'll just be best to go with resized 16:9 pictures and go heavy on transcription, instead. It'll probably save the most time. There's definitely a good bit of text and not a lot gained from having it in picture form, especially because textboxes do widen or shrink based on how much there is in it so I can't just write a macro to get the perfect box every time.

A little later in the year my current character will get access to a high level area, and I might craft a test post from running through it just as practice. I'll throw that here if I end up deciding to do that.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 20, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trying to LP Maplestory? Good luck.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ibblebibble posted:

Trying to LP Maplestory? Good luck.

Yeah, good luck OP.

IMO Cropped looks best, knowing that around a good 20-25% of the screen is essentially useless for screen shots because its all UI.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What if Sectoids were cute? Let’s Play Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a 3rd party Mario game designed by Ubisoft combining the classic Mario Characters and their Rayman murdering Rabbids. Yes, I am obvious.

It’s basically an x-com game, simplified, and made cute. It’s for kids after all, and it’s actually cute and somewhat. I unironically love it.

I’ll be joined by my funnier smarter wife Mistywave, as we tackle this game. I’ll be controlling the single player, and yes, we’ll do all the co-op games too together.

Now, I know this is a kids game, so what’s better than making it into a drinking game? That’s right, I’m ripping off Danaru, and gonna be drinking. My wife will be drinking too, but on her own schedule not my drinking conditions.

Drinking Conditions:
Everytime I miss a 50% shot
Everytime I get hit by a 50% shot
One sip per level rating. Perfect: 1 Good: 2 Fine: 3
If any of my characters get knocked out, I finish the drink
If I get a golden shot, sip.

Of course, feel free to suggest more conditions for me!

Now, enough of me babbling, here’s the link to the videos

Updates
Update #1 Wherein we lay out the drinking conditions

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 28, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol, i thought politics drove you to drink. video games too?

this looks fun, bunnyofdoom!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sally posted:

lol, i thought politics drove you to drink. video games too?

this looks fun, bunnyofdoom!

I actually have left politics entirely now and have a good job. So i need new drinking excuses.

And thanks! I am trying to have fun with it. I already got the 2nd video recorded

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Surely the new job will be a good enough drinking excuse :v:?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I actually have left politics entirely now and have a good job.

hahaha, i'm so happy for you! congratulations!

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
This was a good read. Someone in the thread I started recently told me a rule was to post here before starting a thread and I had no idea so hopefully it’s ok that I’m doing that now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not a rule, but it is generally encouraged to post an OP and your first update or two here before you start a new LP to get feedback, especially if you're new to the site/LPing. If you're confident in what you got, though, you can always :justpost:.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello LP!

I have lurked around here now and then (but not as much as I should have) for a while and read some pretty wonderful LPs of older games over the years. I have decided to post because I believe this is the best place for some advice. I do a ton of streaming now, with a set schedule and since Novermber last year (with a big break in december/january) I have played through Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II (beaten on Sunday) and just this Tuesday started Dark Souls 3. :)

I am able to save all my streams thanks to downloading them from twitch and have just started to learn video editing. I would like to make compilations and whatnot and made a simple one already for the PS4 thread. (I have Vegas Pro from a humble bundle)

My question is quite open ended but involves the video editing part. I can cut my streams up into clips and order them but does anyone have any general tips for what makes a good video, or how I should be editing, or just in general something that newbies should be aware of?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Make a video you would want to watch if someone else made it. Everything else is just details. You're never going to please everyone, so make sure you're part of your target audience.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Nidoking's advice is the most important thing to learn. Though beyond that I suggest cutting out repetitious deaths unless they're really entertaining, and the same with backtracking. Tightly edited videos and stream highlight compilations are much easier to watch because you're not spending 20 minutes watching someone try and fail to beat a hard boss or platforming challenge.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, what do you want to make, really? An LP video and a "best of" compilation are two wildly different beasts and are going to appeal to vastly different audiences. If you just want to cut up some clips and stick them in a highlight reel, that's easy and requires nothing more than some quick jump cuts between funny/cool moments, maybe set to some music of your choice. It's not really what we do here, but it's easy to share and makes for a good "trailer" if you have vods or a proper LP on hand to watch. Beyond that, we start diving into LP "styles" and philosophy and you'll never get anyone to agree on what the "correct" way of doing that is.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yeah, like has been said three different ways, the important thing here is the story you're putting together. One way or another, thise things are always stories.

Often LPs will pace themselves in step with the actual story of the actual game, but with Souls etc it's always more about the player getting through it all than it is about chapter one followed by chapter two. In a stream, the story is always, you're gonna try, and someone's gonna cheer you on, because this time might be the time you make it, or if not then you'll try again. When you're cutting this together into a video in retrospect there needs to be a different angle because each time you present a take it's already known if this will be the one or not. If you've been doing blind streams of the inspirational overcoming Souls barriers kind, one obvious idea is to stitch together takes that clearly show progression; the first comedic wipe to an overwhelming new challenge, each time you figure out a new trick or get to grips with some part of it, all building up to the final take where you win, with, like, one big cathartic achievement per video or something of that sort. It's up to you to figure out exactly how many takes is appropriate to put in a video and how to present them, and you won't always have to present them the same way; one video might be five or six selected attempts in their entirety, another might be unedited footage of three straight attempts that happened to go well or interestingly, another might be a fast forward through ten attempts, or a supercut of 50 deaths, or you could have five or six attempts with death supercuts in between them or whatever. Either way, you're dividing up the whole playthrough into little stories, and you're cutting up the footage to tell that story, somehow.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Welcome To LP, VG!

presumably you aren't wanting to do commentary over everything and start up individual threads? if you're just cutting uo the footage into more easily digestible chunks, then i'll echo the "cut out repetitive deaths". even if funny to you, longplay deaths lack the context of a cat jumping on someone's lap and commentary reactions. if there is a spot where you eat five deaths, say, cut the footage out between the first and last and fade between them imo. makes for better pacing. (but save the footage of all deaths for a super cut where you play yakkety sax over top--classic move).

otherwise i'd just organize you videos by appropriate sections in the game. i'm personally not a fan of longplays where each video is just an hour-long continuous stream... i prefer when videos are labeled. I'm not to bother if the Crystal Caverns vid is only 20 minutes versus the Duke's Archive taking 40. Or even if there are three hour-long Anor Londo videos... the organization helps me find an appropriate area and means less scrubbing to find the gameplay bit i'm interested in.

but of course if you are pondering How To LP them, that's another bigger box where, like Artix, i could was philosophical for days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Nidoking posted:

Make a video you would want to watch if someone else made it. Everything else is just details. You're never going to please everyone, so make sure you're part of your target audience.

I'll echo this. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on what makes a good video and what works for one person may switch another person off. Don't be afraid to put in moments that you're proud of, is amusing to you or moments that brought you satisfaction. Ultimately, what you're producing is yourself and even though you're condensing yourself it should still have your personality and style attached too it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you Nidoking, DoubleNegative, Artix, Fedule, Sally and Rocket Baby Dolls for your patience and your answers.

I think my question was a bit boneheadedly vague to others but in my mind I understood more what I was getting at. You have all helped and it was the more philosophical nature of what makes a video LP than how do I edit files.

I think in a way it is like writing and I should just watch others to get what I am trying to form into a question and it would help give me ideas. I would like to turn my whole journey into a kind of blind LP from start to finish and ideas about cutting repetition and focussing on the meat of what is happening is probably best. I am going to lurk a few video LP lps and read more tutorials on editing video/sound.

Thank you all most graciously! :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
heck yeah, VG! check out the stickied recommendations thread too. the OP is filled with a bunch of top recommendations from various SALP goons. also you can just ask for something in particular and you're sure to get a hit suited to your tastes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, because I want to do the rounds in boosting visibility for this... Awful Survivor is back! And this time it's in SALP territory:

JOHN CENA posted:

We're launching an all new season of Awful Survivor, and we want Let's Play to get as involved as possible! Sign up, get your buddy to sign up, get your dog involved, or at the very least join the Viewer's lounge once the game begins! We're coming to YOUR subforum and want you to be a part of the action! We're also looking for a lore oracle familiar with the history of the Let's Play forum so please get in touch if you wish to contribute in that way.

Survivor is a fun game, simple to play, difficult to win! Every couple of days you have challenges and every other couple of days, your tribe will have to vote someone out! This is a game that encourages viewer engagement, through following the player's confessionals, getting in on ~secret alliances~, finding game changing secret advantages, getting to chat with other former players and viewers as the game progresses, it's absolutely a fun journey that you won't wanna miss!

>>Join today!<<

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Thank you Nidoking, DoubleNegative, Artix, Fedule, Sally and Rocket Baby Dolls for your patience and your answers.

I think my question was a bit boneheadedly vague to others but in my mind I understood more what I was getting at. You have all helped and it was the more philosophical nature of what makes a video LP than how do I edit files.

I think in a way it is like writing and I should just watch others to get what I am trying to form into a question and it would help give me ideas. I would like to turn my whole journey into a kind of blind LP from start to finish and ideas about cutting repetition and focussing on the meat of what is happening is probably best. I am going to lurk a few video LP lps and read more tutorials on editing video/sound.

Thank you all most graciously! :)

A great example of "how to deal with deaths" is the above-and-beyond Hamsterlady LP of A Hat In Time.

For the most part, they try to show off good gameplay, but they will absolutely cut a bad run if it doesn't show off the cool things you can do in the game. If it's just amateur bad gameplay, it gets canned. If they want to give a high skill limit for their own footage, they will absolutely can an imperfect run (although I would suggest against this as long as it meets the third factor)

If you're playing the game, showing it off, having fun, and failed a few times, just splice a few failures into a short clip that shows off how you want the game to be seen. Nobody wants to see a failure clip that is longer than short clips layered onto each other in a video unless they're a Kaizo SMW sadist. Just give a good idea of what your first run was like, and then your successful run, and if you have to show your growth inbetween then pick a suitable point where the difference was huge and go from there. Hamsterlady basically went from "I can clear these hard mode challenges" and "I am a goddess of platforming" but mixed the latter parts of that statement back into showing off earlier parts because they wanted to. Death Counter is an OK substitute for "here is how I struggled to complete this", especially if you can revisit the thing you struggled at and can just breeze through it

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 14, 2021

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

So here's the thing: Nidoking is correct about this. In its current state, the game has maybe 2 or 3 screenshot-style updates in it.

From playing through it myself for a little over an hour. It definitely has a surreal feeling to it. I did get quite a few laughs out of what I saw.

But I don't know if that's enough to make it worth creating a dedicated LP thread for. I could certainly come back to the LP as major content patches hit, but that would create an LP which only gets maybe 1 or 2 updates every couple of months (possibly. This game could spend the next 5 years in Early Access for all I know).

As it is right now, the game is good for about 1 or 2 hours of laughs in a video format. What I could do instead of an SSLP is to use the footage I captured and attempt to create a captioned video.

Since this is the request thread, please quote this in the Sandcastle if you intend to reply to what I wrote. I don't want to clog up the request thread with more LP discussion.

Why not post it in The Casual LP Thread?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

That is an option that I didn't really think about. Mostly because I forgot that the casual thread was still a thing.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I realize this question properly belongs in the rules thread, but that's locked and this is the next-best place to ask that I can think of. Sorry about that.

Let's say I want to do an LP here but I also want to post it to another site. SA would get it first and you'd be the ones who get to do the audience participation bits, but I'd be sharing the LP with friends elsewhere who either don't have/can't afford SA accounts or aren't comfortable with the culture here. Are there any rules of decorum I should be aware of? For instance, if I use any of SA's custom emoticons will people object to my also posting them on another site?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Since you're the one making the lp, you can post it how-, when-, and wherever you choose. You don't need to give SA preferential treatment; you can post in different places simultaneously and let all your readers/watchers vote. Several people who post here also have threads at lp beach, for instance. The only real rule about crossposting is that you're not allowed to dump old content on SA and that doesn't seem like it would remotely be an issue here.

The smilies from these boards show up in plenty of other places already, and i don't think anyone cares - by their nature, they're kind of meant to be used. But you might want to re-host them if you want to post them elsewhere.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

vilkacis posted:

The smilies from these boards show up in plenty of other places already, and i don't think anyone cares - by their nature, they're kind of meant to be used. But you might want to re-host them if you want to post them elsewhere.

There's also the preview thing I've seen people do, you click the link and it takes you to a new lpix page that is normally for previewing updates before posting them, but theoretically you could just share that link elsewhere so people can read it with all the SA smilies and formatting, and the LPer won't have to worry about find-replace on any formatting differences between sites

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

It is done.

Should Casual LP's be posted in the New LP thread? Or is that just for stuff that has a dedicated thread for it?

Also, for the people that wanted this... well, temper those expectations. That's my advice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don’t think there’s any rule against it, and most people wouldn’t realize it started if they don’t already follow the casual thread, so I’d post it. I’d imagine the mods would be inclined to agree.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:yeah:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Am I going to post a Sandcastle post for a potential new LP while I'm running two LPs already? gently caress yeah, I am.

Join The Search For The Game In There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

What's all this then?

This is There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, a non-game by Draw Me A Pixel, released in August of 2020.

Non-game?

Yeah. Didn't you read the title? There is no game!

So, um, tell me more about this non-game.

Well, this non-game was originally made for a game jam in 2015 (or to be precise, a 10-15 minute long non-game with the same basic idea as this non-game), which seems inappropriate, but whatever. The idea was popular, and the developer of this non-game decided they could expand it. With that in mind, a Kickstarter was launched in 2016, which, alas, failed. However, even with the Kickstarter failed, it was said that the project would go on, just with less funds, for obvious reasons. This eventually led to in the release of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension in August of 2020.

As for what this non-game actually involves, well, I'll say that it's something that is best experienced, not described.

And how will you be LPing this non-game?

I will be doing this in subtitled video form. This non-game has a lot of voice acting, so I want to show that off and not have to squeeze my commentary into the quiet parts.

Spoiler policy?

No spoilers. loving period. Spoil and I'll call the mods on you, and they have so little to do that when they have to do something, they get cranky. And you don't want cranky mods.

And with that, let's get going!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Hi, everyone in LP!

This isn't really a LP itself, but as someone who's been really into Vtubing to the point of becoming one myself, I've made a thread about the whys and hows of Vtubing and other forms of virtual-avatar content creation! I tried to somewhat follow the model of the Let's Stream thread for it.

If you're interested in Vtubing, or you've even just heard of it and want to see what the hell it is, check it out! And if you've got some interest in becoming a Vtuber yourself and want to take a look at what actually goes into doing so, drop by and hopefully I can help you down that path! Vtubing doesn't have to be streaming, either - it started as premade videos not too different from LPs, after all. I'd also like this thread to be a place where current Vtubers can talk shop, since I know there's a few other goon Vtubers already.

Let's V-Tube! A thread for VIRTUAL streamers, LPers, and content creators!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965483

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
All of the videos are missing from my Monster Rancher 4 LP. I guess they were getting hosted somewhere that doesn't exist now? The originals are still on YouTube, and you can get the links from the original thread.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

youtube-nocookie.com appears to have stopped working for some reason (temporarily, presumably, since it still has an error page)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hi LP goons.

I was looking for some KOTOR 1 LPs and discovered all the Darth Ronson's Video LPs have been lost. Only three were uploaded to the Let's Play Archive and only one of those is intact.

Disaster Report -Purely video. Complete loss.

Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus Screenshoot LP. Screenshots lost, but text covered entire game.

Hitman Contracts - Uploaded to Let's Play Archive, but just a list of links to dead YouTube videos. Complete loss.

Hitman Blood Money - Same as above. Complete loss.

Jade Empire - Purely video. Complete loss.

Knights of the Old Republic - Started off as a screenshot LP and became a video LP. Screenshots and video lost leaving just text that partially covers the first planet Taris. Majority lost.

Stubbs the Zombie - Another screenshot/video mix with both lost. Text does cover the whole game if sparsely. Mostly lost.

Typing of The Dead - Purely video. Complete loss.

Waxworks - Screenshot LP. This the only intact LP due to it being uploaded to LParchive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I'm thinking about starting an LP of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and have put together a test video for critique. This isn't really a first post type of test video, but rather I just wanted to make sure that the audio levels are set properly (I play with headphones, so what sounds loud enough for me may not translate through recording). Additionally, I wanted some feedback whether the video being in 21:9 aspect ratio is too distracting, since youtube adds black bars on the top and bottom.

(Edit: the black bars are probably from me rendering it wrong. Checking the settings shows that Vegas rendered the output at 1920x1080, and added the black bars on the process.)

E2: I've re-rendered the video in the same resolution I recorded in. Let me know if the ultra-wide resolution is too distracting on youtube. Black bars appear when embedded, but when viewed on youtube directly, the video displays in the 21:9 ratio.

Once the technical details are hammered out, I'll put together a proper test post for critique on the content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB35_YN1I1w

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 27, 2021