Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Coronavirus vaccines: PM to telephone EU leaders in bid to stop export ban being imposed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56479814

:manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't imagine how tiresome it must be to have that idiot ringing you up to whinge ineffectually every time something happens.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

big scary monsters posted:

Real mystery why the government trying to pass legislation reducing the right to protest and its supporters would claim that the protest against it is ineffective and discredited.
It's actually because they're loving idiots who haven't learned the very basic historical lesson that when you try to ban (less effective) peaceful ways of expressing dissatisfaction people just turn to (more effective) violent means instead.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Why is it every time something gets burned or smashed you get endless streams of people insisting it was planted there to be burned or smashed? Like no you dunderheads sometimes at protests things genuinely get burned or smashed up and the cops sit there going oh gently caress oh poo poo. It’s not always some orchestrated conspiracy, crowds do have power. Also there were multiple other attempts at burning and loving up cop vehicles that were thwarted. Including about ten metres from that van that did get set ablaze, when a group of cops came and put a tyre out with a small fire extinguisher. Just watching a livestream makes it fairly clear this could easily have just happened. Police leave vehicles about all the time in protest environments.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It doesn't loving matter either. "yOuRe GiViNg ThEm AmMo" like gently caress off, it doesn't matter what actually happens at a protest like this, the media apparatus will find a way to spin the footage to defend the intrenched systems. You're quibbling over property damage when people are fighting back against a force that was salivating about clubbing them half to death.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I can't imagine how tiresome it must be to have that idiot ringing you up to whinge ineffectually every time something happens.

they probly just do 1471 and don't ring him back

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Protests are only viable if they scare the authorities - either via massive overwhelming size or serious disobedience and violence. Burning that police van should be celebrated by anyone who supports the protest and not be forced into this stupid conspiracy theory. If that protest was just a small random crowd in Bristol milling about absolutely no one would give a poo poo, because some fires were set and scuffles broke out the protest actually achieved national coverage and success. The government may actually make meaningful change to legislation if it causes scenes like that where control is lost.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Grey Hunter posted:

Ten years from now
"If the bastards who did this were still in power, then they would have to answer for this, but as they are now all working in industry, there is nothing to do but shake out heads,"

Hey now
Some of them will be in the House of Lords too

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Flayer posted:

Protests are only viable if they scare the authorities - either via massive overwhelming size or serious disobedience and violence. Burning that police van should be celebrated by anyone who supports the protest and not be forced into this stupid conspiracy theory. If that protest was just a small random crowd in Bristol milling about absolutely no one would give a poo poo, because some fires were set and scuffles broke out the protest actually achieved national coverage and success. The government may actually make meaningful change to legislation if it causes scenes like that where control is lost.

NO you have to give the police several weeks notice of your intention to protest so they can sort out shifts and that to make sure they can kettle and beat you if you shout too loudly or have a sign with a rude word on it, HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION :mad:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Eye-witness account of last night in Bristol:

https://twitter.com/TweetForTheMany/status/1373944195480743936?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

crispix posted:

NO you have to give the police several weeks notice of your intention to protest so they can sort out shifts and that to make sure they can kettle and beat you if you shout too loudly or have a sign with a rude word on it, HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION :mad:

Filling out forms so I can schedule the slot for my baton beating

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure we should quibble about whether it was acceptable to torch a parked van when odds are it was being driven into a crowd of protesters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flayer posted:

This message was sponsored by the Marinus van der Lubbe International Firebombing Society.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure we should quibble about whether it was acceptable to torch a parked van when odds are it was being driven into a crowd of protesters.

Well obviously the torched one wasn't as it was parked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah the torched van was parked outside the police station from the moment the protest got there and had probably been there all day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Every police van represents a potential protester runner over though if you think about it.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I dunno, to be honest im always impressed that police sustain injuries after these types of protests, they are so well armed and armoured, how do you even hurt a riot cop, short of throwing molotovs at them.

I got a lot of joy out of the gif of the russian protestors throwing endless amounts of snowballs at the riot cops in Jan/Feb this year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Flayer posted:

The truth is that the establishment care more about property than people, so if you want their attention you go for what they care about.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Saviour posted:

I dunno, to be honest im always impressed that police sustain injuries after these types of protests, they are so well armed and armoured, how do you even hurt a riot cop, short of throwing molotovs at them.

Probably falling over a colleague or being struck by a baton by accident.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Saviour posted:

how do you even hurt a riot cop

Catching your mate on the backswing

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Saviour posted:

I'm busy atm so you'll have to imagine the William Tell overture playing at full volume whilst you watch the relevant few seconds of this on repeat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually go with the can can instead.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Imagine how much we could achieve if we had a proper party structure run by competent people to co-ordinate protests and other direct action strategically and provide training + support + funding while openly challenging established interests and doing PR work on a public platform.

For all its gleeful deployment of its monopoly on power the British state is probably more arrogant and brittle now than ever before. A mass participation militant Party could do real damage if it had the resources.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 22, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's probably like that list of active police killed on duty from a while back that turned out to contain like... cops who died in drunk driving accidents on their way into work or keeled over from heart failure mid-shift.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

peanut- posted:

It's probably like that list of active police killed on duty from a while back that turned out to contain like... cops who died in drunk driving accidents on their way into work or keeled over from heart failure mid-shift.

My favourite was the one that contained 'toothache'.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SteelMentor posted:

it doesn't matter what actually happens at a protest like this, the media apparatus will find a way to spin the footage

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I don't see what good an inquiry into covid will do, there's simply nothing we could have done.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Was that the one where the biggest single killer was "being an Irish cop in the near vicinity to the British Army during various risings"?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Like all those photos from protests around the world where you have a single masked male protestor leaping in the air in front of riot police with some flames somewhere.

Which of course I can't find any now on google (admittedly a cursory look as I'm supposed to be working). (Not including the skateboard guy from last night.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sinky posted:

I don't see what good an inquiry into covid will do, there's simply nothing we could have done.

'No need for inquiry into COVID handling' say people likely to be implicated by inquiry into COVID handling

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Flayer posted:

Overwhelming size doesn't scare the authorities any more either, loving hundreds of thousands of people marched on westminster multiple times in 2018-19 protesting against brexit in various ways, and literally nothing happened as a result because protests were polite and decorous and didn't provide any inconvenience to business.

They were memory holed before the week had passed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

Overwhelming size doesn't scare the authorities any more either, loving hundreds of thousands of people marched on westminster multiple times in 2018-19 protesting against brexit in various ways, and literally nothing happened as a result because protests were polite and decorous and didn't provide any inconvenience to business.

They were memory holed before the week had passed.

Same with the over million people marching against the 2nd Iraq War in 2003.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Large demonstrations indicate numbers, not power. People doing something which is against the wishes of the ruling class or stopping something from happening which the ruling class wants to happen are demonstrations of power and size is a secondary element of that.

Having a big crowd around you when you're pulling down statues obviously really helps but it only needed about 10 people to actually do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If your protest means going where the police tell you to go and doing what the police tell you to do then it's not a protest

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Not all of us can do a :krad: kick-flip, solidarity to the rice-holders ✊

I totally and utterly reject your expressions of solidarity. Let nobody be in any doubt these are crocodile tears you are crying. For hundreds of years, the rad kick flip community has enjoyed kick flips in front of burning police vans. And today, you have been seen to trample their actions contemptuously unto the mud, you vile goon, you shall be judged guilty!!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Well that’s it, he’s done for

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1373928892206092291?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^ lmao somebody make the appropriate "sweating kier choosing between two buttons" comic please

Rarity posted:

If your protest means going where the police tell you to go and doing what the police tell you to do then it's not a protest

Tbh for most people the idea of protest extends to maybe signing a change.org petition, or at least liking an instagram story of someone else doing so

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

The truth is that the establishment care more about property than people, so if you want their attention you go for what they care about.

After the Toxteth riots Michael Heseltine (urban development secretary at the time) got a load of bankers together and drove them round the city, going "look at your investments, now imagine them getting burned to the ground which is what will happen if you don't back us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbh for most people the idea of protest extends to maybe signing a change.org petition, or at least liking an instagram story of someone else doing so

I sat in my room for ten minutes thinking really hard about how sad this all is, I contributed