Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (March 24, 1974)

And because I'm not entirely convinced we're doubling back to March 17, '74, here it is too.

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

"Classic" Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (March 19, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: Don Herold in a house ad for...um...advertisers.

Robert L. Dickey gives us DORGZ!:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (April 10, 1952)

Hey, hey, hey! Remember back in the good old days when people were ostracized for physical differences they couldn't control? But now they're... confident about themselves??? And people find value in them??? WTF??????

I've been reading Those Were The Days since it started being posted and I still don't get how I'm supposed to be reading it. My heart says ironically, like Kelly, but my brain says it was the early 50's and comedy wasn't there yet. But if it's not ironic, even in the 50's, how could you read this and not think, "Wow, that Art Beeman is a mean-spirited rear end in a top hat"?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

For assholes, by assholes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, hey, hey! Remember back in the good old days when people were ostracized for physical differences they couldn't control? But now they're... confident about themselves??? And people find value in them??? WTF??????

I've been reading Those Were The Days since it started being posted and I still don't get how I'm supposed to be reading it. My heart says ironically, like Kelly, but my brain says it was the early 50's and comedy wasn't there yet. But if it's not ironic, even in the 50's, how could you read this and not think, "Wow, that Art Beeman is a mean-spirited rear end in a top hat"?

It's sincere, and not even the oldest example of the format:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Just letting in any old dude who claims to know her, nbd.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (June 21, 1965)

I like Morrie and I know he was seriously ahead of his time on race, but wow that character design

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard, must be pretty hosed up to be a snowman in this world

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

The basic premise isn't so much "old = good & new = bad", but "look how things have changed". Of course, that often results new weird trends being mocked as is normal for humans, but it's not always the case. For example here it gives a small jab at people who wear glasses as a fashion item, but shows that ~everyone does it and they seem happy.

I guess the past time art being pretty realistic and new one being more cartoonish, gives an impression that the modern day people are always silly idiots, but my gut says that it's just to make the panels distinct and each mimics the style from that period.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Green Intern posted:

That is a lot more detail about their love life than I expected or needed to know.

:allears:

Classic Kevin & Kell (April 17-21, 2000)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

I feel like there's hints of Ed getting called for his hypocrisy before the end of this story, but it's Kelley, so who knows.

Of course, even if there is a lesson learned, it will be forgotten after a week.

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 22, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

I feel like there's hints of Ed getting called for his hypocrisy before the end of this story, but it's Kelley, so who knows.
I will eat a hat of unspecified size and composition if this story ends up featuring any kind of reflection and self-awareness like that at all.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Is this normal? Mandrake doesn't even have a book yet; I thought the normal process for first-time authors was to actually write a book, or at least a competent first draft, and then send it around to find a publisher. "Here's a contract, write us a book" sounds really weird, considering he doesn't appear to have done anything of the sort before.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it's out of the question, and may in fact be fairly common, that a publisher would approach a celebrity with a book contract if they're a big enough name for the publisher to project a tidy profit. Depending on the person fairly hand-holdy editing guidelines and ghostwriters are probably involved.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Thought this might be useful.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

SubNat posted:

Moominposting - Snorkmaiden goes Rococo

Is the guy at the start supposed to be Moomin-Carl Linnaeus?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

There's a certain brazen beauty about this Garfield.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/21/01

Brenda Starr 2/14-16/46

Smokey Stover 2/4/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

A reworked version of the poem we saw about two weeks ago, with the names of DC neighborhoods and suburbs removed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Comparison

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 14, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 14, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 14, 1989)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Of course, even if there is a lesson learned, it will be forgotten after a week.
Nah, Ed will simply rationalize it away because HE has worked every day since he was 12 years old, and owned his own home by the time he was 16, not like that lazy, good for nothing Dustin who can't even keep a job in the middle of a pandemic.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the question is, will gramps join in on beating dustin? or will he spoil his grandkids, by which i mean treat them like people?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He could spend all the time berating Ed for being such a poo poo lawyer he always seems to have money problems.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Didn't these two decide that Ed's dad will room with Dustin (in the garage? :psyduck:)? I'm betting Ed won't learn anything and he and his dad will bond over making GBS threads on Dustin instead.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm betting we're going to get a lot of surface level "back in my day" jokes. Have we ever seen Ed's dad before?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad Store

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Samovar posted:

Is the guy at the start supposed to be Moomin-Carl Linnaeus?

That's pretty likely, yeah. Dunno if there's any further confirmation in the story itself.

Moominposting

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 1, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 25-26, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Sep 9, 2019)

(Sep 11, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Ah, the previous age of the Internet, when this wasn't standard practice, and "we sell your data to everyone" wasn't an open secret.

No, I'm not old. Pity that "obfuscate everything about your identity" is even more relevant now than when this strip first ran.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Oh geez that looks like a thumb. I did that this year while cutting up a peach and it took 5 stitches and some antibiotics because the cut was across a joint.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Mary barely deserves any credit on this one. Victory lap is uncalled for.

The Phantom

Don't worry he's got a cave full of crazy valuable stuff.

Pooch Cafe

Sarah (A Little Girl) Imagines Rex Morgan MD (Her Father) as an Imaginary Detective in Her Imagination Where She Imagines this Shootout with Imaginary Guns

I can see why one might be confused if they just stumbled across this so it needs to be explained: This is all imaginary! Rex's little girl is imagining this! Those are imaginary guns! None of it is real, it's imagination!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Quarantine is a struggle for us all.

I could use more clear signals in my day to day life.

:allears:

Norman is a man of action, I suppose.

Interactive shows are always fun!

I don't think the world at large is ready either, Stewart.