Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Fun fact: SeaTruck modules don't have a crush depth. You can just bring them along with you if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They don't have power without the seatruck attached tho.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'd like an upsized Seamoth that can haul modules chained together like an Australian road train.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Cyclops was fun but not practical. Seatruck is the best and if you disagree you are dumb and bad

Seatruck is shiieet. With enough modules attached you're slower than the cyclops, less storage than a seamoth, no armor upgrade so you can ram assholes with less self damage, and no weapons. Also In any case you kind of want to take all the modules with you because you need or want to do stuff and you need modules for that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really the biggest loss of the seatruck over the cyclops can be summed up entirely by a musical number that you can listen too on the internet.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUtci2tb7s

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The cyclops could have done with being a bit smaller. The seatruck is horrible and not fun.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Or of course you could set up an 8 module long monstrosity that dwarfs any leviathan and eats energy and slowboats around but is your own personal fully realized mobile home and research base.

I think the thing I'd like to see is more elaboration on quantum chests/phasegates.

So like, instead of a mobile base, letting the player access base resources/features from a pad or commlink.

You still have to like, go back to set it up and pop by places and update it after grabbing new gear/scans etc, but the whole 'i need a base of operations in this area' is divorced a little form exploration.

Grabbing samples and scans and plopping them into a field analyzer but letting the work/computing/what have you be done back at the home lab.

Not player teleportation, but like, in-universe awareness of quantum chests?

maybe combined with making the size of the vehicle what sort of resources/planning/storage/live specimens that -need- to be hauled back instead of plopped in ye old QC sort of deal.

I think the speed/features/undocking tradeoff for the seatruck is neat in practice, but everything I've heard about BZ is that its cumbersome. Except for that one goon who figured out you can make a few and leave them around an grab/unhitch as needed.

What I really think the base game needed was a 'super seamoth' vehicle just made with lategame contruction materials and an upgraded base crush depth.
maybe a tiny bit slower.

For people wanting a bigger sub there was a fanmod/idea thing a while back: Atlas!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RZgEE
not sure what happened with it

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 17, 2021

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The cyclops is the coolest thing in subnautica, the problem is that the game design of the second half throws out everything that's good about the first.

The first half is brilliant--you don't need a mobile base because navigating between known points is incredibly fast, but if you've built the cyclops it's easy to maneuver around. Most of your time was spent searching the area you traveled to, and exploring shipwrecks required exiting the vehicle. In the second half there's both a greater need for a mobile base (because you can no longer travel point-to-point) and the mobile base is cumbersome to maneuver. Subnautica works in spaces large enough to hide a leviathan or small enough to drown a cave diver, and the lost river/magma caves/alien bases are in a goldilocks zone that's neither.

If I were designing the game from scratch, I'd flip the depth roles of the Cyclops and Seamoth. The Cyclops would be the invulnerable mobile base limited to less than 200 meters and the Seamoth would be the vulnerable exploration vehicle with high depth limits. Or just make the cyclops a boat, which would allow it to have a navigate-to-beacon autopilot functionality (it'd be piloted from a submerged glass ball cockpit with terrain scanning sonar, as it's still for undersea exploration).

Instead of being a big intestine cave, the endgame would be the depths of the open crater. It'd be fairly quick to get in and out, albeit being a tense dive into an active volcano through a radioactive, leviathan-infested water column. On the bottom there'd be both human wrecks and magma tunnels that would require the player to temporarily leave their seamoth behind.

(I'd also add grid snapping and a shared, can-be-used-for-crafting inventory on a per-base/per-cyclops level)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Microcline posted:

and the Seamoth would be the vulnerable exploration vehicle with high depth limits.

Insert twitch clip here of the streamer leaving the seamoth for 1 second, hearing a roar, turning around and seeing a leviathan running off with his seamoth.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Here's a sort of cheat that I never knew about if you are having a hard time finding resources.
Heard this watching Spanjs LP of BZ.
He picked up a galena node with the repulsion cannon and shot it against the wall and out popped a bunch of lead and titanium

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Free Subnautica on PS4 by the end of March!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I decided to replay Subnautica, but I am running into a strange bug where the PDA messages stay on the screen and never go away, and the voices messages also don’t play because the game is stuck on a single message.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I also didn't care for the cyclops that much, thought it was bad and clunky and not worth the trouble.

Then this thread taught be I could build inside of it and my mind was blown.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Microcline posted:

Instead of being a big intestine cave, the endgame would be the depths of the open crater. It'd be fairly quick to get in and out, albeit being a tense dive into an active volcano through a radioactive, leviathan-infested water column. On the bottom there'd be both human wrecks and magma tunnels that would require the player to temporarily leave their seamoth behind.

That would be fantastic. Instead of an extended metaphor for vaginal sex (culminating in a fertile womb), the game could be an extended metaphor for anal sex (culminating in sterile release and spread of infection).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Wrr posted:

I also didn't care for the cyclops that much, thought it was bad and clunky and not worth the trouble.

Then this thread taught be I could build inside of it and my mind was blown.

Yeah I hated it until I realized I could put storage lockers in it.

Then I never went anywhere without it. Prawn suit is fast but I’m a hoarder.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked the cyclops more in beta when it was an invulnerable movable base. The game is barely a survival game, just keep it a cool exploration game.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Phssthpok posted:

That would be fantastic. Instead of an extended metaphor for vaginal sex (culminating in a fertile womb), the game could be an extended metaphor for anal sex (culminating in sterile release and spread of infection).

Discussion > Games > Subnautica: an extended metaphor for anal sex

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Comrade Koba posted:

Discussion > Games > Subnautica: an extended metaphor for anal sex

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Phssthpok posted:

Both of those are nonsensical.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ambaire posted:

Both of those are nonsensical.

Well what kind of sex do you think the game is an extended metaphor for, smart guy??

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've been in academia long enough that is has warped my brain to read takes like that and not bat an eye. I .... love it?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everything is sex related if you think about it long enough.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Invalid Validation posted:

Everything is sex related if you think about it long and hard enough.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bad Munki posted:

Well what kind of sex do you think the game is an extended metaphor for, smart guy??

Aural sex, obviously. Such great sound design.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

What was that thing the alien did in Cocoon?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
So as I was doing yet another run through of BZ ( i could do orig or BZ once a month and be fine with it), I discovered a nice feature that was added.
I'm finding ore veins under water in places I know I would have spotted previously if they were there. Just like the veins in the walls you find on land.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

OgNar posted:

So as I was doing yet another run through of BZ ( i could do orig or BZ once a month and be fine with it), I discovered a nice feature that was added.
I'm finding ore veins under water in places I know I would have spotted previously if they were there. Just like the veins in the walls you find on land.

I only noticed they were there after I turned on assistive mode (i.e. literally unplayable without it now mode). i assumed they were always there and never saw them.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
The cyclops is awesome. It's an actual mobile base that you can cruise around anywhere you want and with even minimal care and a full battery pack its practically invulnerable. Not to mention the cool robot voice assistant that welcomes you aboard and let's you know everything's okay. It's clunky because if it wasn't it would be even more game breaking than it already is. The cyclops is one of the few vehicles I've encountered in a video game that actually made me feel like I was piloting a massive ship.

I loved my cyclops so much that even though the game offered me a portal from the final alien base back to the surface I STILL took the cyclops back because I couldn't stand to just abandon it in the deep. My only real complaint is that I couldn't find the stupid sonar for it because apparently that was the only module that refused to spawn for me.

Not to mention the game is called SUBnautica so of course you should be using the sub. Prawnautica sounds boring as hell.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
cyclops is mama and prawn suit is baby :unsmith::hf::imunfunny:

sea truck is creepy uncle :quagmire:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
When I played the original Subnautica for the first time and got to the end I wanted to live by a "leave no trace" philosophy so I deconstructed everything I built.

In retrospect a little silly when there's still a recently radioactive gigantic ship wreck, several huge alien bases, and a bunch of human wrecks and junk still scattered all around the crater.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, but the entire habitable zone of the planet is like 5 cubic km so...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

Plus the frozen areas in the expansion

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

WarpedNaba posted:

We don't know the deep parts of the world aren't inhabited. The leviathan's leave the plateau when they grow up, so they must be eating something out there and maybe something is eating them..

I know I would love a sequel set in the deep parts of the world. Say Alterra finds signs of unobtanium in the deep water and build a series of extraction facilities, then one day they lose contact. You take a sea elevator down to find out what happens, but something destroys the cable just as you reach the bottom. Basically just bolt together all the underwater movie plots of the 80s and 90s and stick it in the Subnautica universe.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I know I would love a sequel set in the deep parts of the world. Say Alterra finds signs of unobtanium in the deep water and build a series of extraction facilities, then one day they lose contact. You take a sea elevator down to find out what happens, but something destroys the cable just as you reach the bottom. Basically just bolt together all the underwater movie plots of the 80s and 90s and stick it in the Subnautica universe.

I really like this idea as a starting point. Like, you start out in a deep underwater barely-functional base, and have to work your way up from there. IMO the whole game being set below the surface would be a bit too claustrophobic, but it'd be perfect if your initial goal is to reach the surface but something encountered along the way causes some other objective keeping you on the planet.

Of course that'd mean using depth upgrades for progression would pretty much have to be discarded.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

zzMisc posted:

I really like this idea as a starting point. Like, you start out in a deep underwater barely-functional base, and have to work your way up from there. IMO the whole game being set below the surface would be a bit too claustrophobic, but it'd be perfect if your initial goal is to reach the surface but something encountered along the way causes some other objective keeping you on the planet.

Of course that'd mean using depth upgrades for progression would pretty much have to be discarded.

Kinda like Sphere. Hell yeah.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I kinda think the game needs happy sunlit areas rather than everything being The Abyss, but then what would I know I enjoyed paddling around the early game areas.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

I kinda think the game needs happy sunlit areas rather than everything being The Abyss, but then what would I know I enjoyed paddling around the early game areas.

Both would be great, one throwing the other into a more stark contrast.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, that's exactly my point. Starting the game off in the pitch black doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room for varied biomes, does it?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I kinda want to reinstall just for 20m free diving in the safe shallows now

As varied as the game is, that is still the best part for me. Just wish the map was 100x the volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Serephina posted:

Yes, that's exactly my point. Starting the game off in the pitch black doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room for varied biomes, does it?

The first game still managed to handle lighting pretty well in places that logically should have been pitch black anyway.
Bioluminescence, lava, base lighting, and just fudging global illumination. In my mind I envision the elevator ride going to inky blackness as you descend but once you get the bottom you start seeing ambient light as you are reaching these floor biomes that have their own sources of light.

Yes progression will change, but I'd also want a progression system that's more than just depth modules anyway. Say you build a prawn suite to drill into a collapsed tunnel to access base lambda, etc. But you can always go deeper still, so depth modules can still play a part in progression. Then yea your ultimate goal is to build a bathysphere or something that can survive the ascent/decompress you/kill the big leviathan. Whatever story mcguffin that feels good so you don't just point your seamoth up and leave.