Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Brain Curry posted:

Easterby set it up so he can bring Watson back to Christ and tour forever on that redemption story

Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I wonder what the guy rothlesibeurger is up to these days

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
:yikes:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Asproigerosis posted:

deleting his text messages and instagram, probably

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
it's amazing that this thread went from ridiculing a huckster destroying a franchise from the inside to becoming a news dump for a literal sexual predator

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Has Watson put these allegations to rest today yet?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Zaradis posted:

Did the Texans orchestrate this to try to make Watson look bad so they looked good but they’re the Texans so they didn’t think it through, as usual, and they didn’t think about how it would tank his trade value?

comin in hot with the big brain post here jesus christ

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah he's not unless they've got DNA or video with audio of him doing it. Even then he could skate. No DA is taking a shot with the evidence presented so far.

They eventually got Weinstein on criminal charges, this looks kinda similar at this point

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FizFashizzle posted:

From the sound of it he hasn't even necessarily put the actions to rest considering one of the allegations is literally from within this month

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don't think the NFL would allow him to to traded. Breer says his market is essentially frozen anyways. Who's trading most of their draft capital over the next 2 years for a guy who very well could be prosecuted as a sexual predator?

There have been a couple of tweets from insiders the past couple of days that were like "Still fives teams in on Watson!" and "Panthers and Eagles still in on Watson!"

It's a thing I can believe, but the most likely explanation has to be that the Texans are the source. "Wait! Don't stop with the god offers! The other teams aren't worried and you wouldn't want to miss out!"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

From the sound of it he hasn't even necessarily put the actions to rest considering one of the allegations is literally from within this month

“Sorry I was late for this press conference. My massage ran over. Anyway...”

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fsif posted:

There have been a couple of tweets from insiders the past couple of days that were like "Still fives teams in on Watson!" and "Panthers and Eagles still in on Watson!"

It's a thing I can believe, but the most likely explanation has to be that the Texans are the source. "Wait! Don't stop with the god offers! The other teams aren't worried and you wouldn't want to miss out!"

That was like 9 allegations and 8 lawsuits ago though

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Best I can tell, Watson had that Notes app statement on Twitter immediately after the first accusation and has been silent ever since. His defense leaked a "preview" of his statement saying that he sought after so many different massage therapists because of the pandemic (?) and that we'll have to wait for the fuller statement to drop in the middle of this week sometime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm a little shocked he hasn't settled with everyone. There's no defense to this. Watson should not play another snap and should face just ice for his heinous crimes.

He should have been put on the commissioner's exempt list last week.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad he didn't settle. if he had then none of this would have become public

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wyoak posted:

They eventually got Weinstein on criminal charges, this looks kinda similar at this point

We have seen only the complaint and a couple of messages. There is likely a hell of a lot more evidence that we won't see for some time. There may be more than enough for criminal charges. We just don't know right now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Watson: I didn't know I was making them uncomfortable. I didn't think that making someone kiss my dick and put their fingers in my rear end and tell them that I want to cum made them uncomfortable.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wonder if at some point he shifts from "this never happened" to "they were cool with it at the time"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm a little shocked he hasn't settled with everyone. There's no defense to this. Watson should not play another snap and should face just ice for his heinous crimes.

He should have been put on the commissioner's exempt list last week.

I think it makes more sense he wasn’t offered a settlement, and just lied to try to look good for a second longer.

Unless he must understood and “six figures” wasn’t the settlement but the number of women he sexually assaulted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Intruder posted:

Technically the only thing that is public is a couple dozen anonymous accusations. None of them have been challenged, and no evidence has been presented.

If Watson settled with them all today, this all basically disappears behind a pile of NDAs. I hope more evidence comes to light and that criminal charges follow.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Intruder posted:

I wonder if at some point he shifts from "this never happened" to "they were cool with it at the time"

Like the defense admitting that he contacted them already makes it so he has to go with "it was consensual" because he can't admit he didn't meet with them.

Also he didn't pay them all the full agreement, just to really add a cherry on top of demeaning them. What a loving monster. He got off on putting them in that position, then shamed them and made them feel worse by saying they didn't satisfy him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Technically the only thing that is public is a couple dozen anonymous accusations. None of them have been challenged, and no evidence has been presented.

If Watson settled with them all today, this all basically disappears behind a pile of NDAs. I hope more evidence comes to light and that criminal charges follow.

Even if he settles now and it all gets hushed up everyone has heard about it now even if we don't get all the details

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FizFashizzle posted:

I think it makes more sense he wasn’t offered a settlement, and just lied to try to look good for a second longer.

Unless he must understood and “six figures” wasn’t the settlement but the number of women he sexually assaulted.

It's very possible that he got a few hundred thousand per victim offer when the number was 4. That would be common, and we might even see some of the settlement documents if they were issued pursuant to whatever Texas' version of an offer of judgment is.

In Florida, for example, I send a settlement offer pursuant to certain statute and rules of procedure. If the other party accepts, the case is done. If they reject the offer and I beat the settlement offer via some future settlement or judgment by 25% or more, I get to collect attorney's fees on top of the final amount.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

No but he rubbed his penis against their face.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Going back to the idea that the Texans org is scum, this whole thing makes me think more about how they fired their head of HR who was by many accounts one of the best if not the best in the league at her job. A sign they knew something and needed someone who would be more willing to try to spin this?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Intruder posted:

Even if he settles now and it all gets hushed up everyone has heard about it now even if we don't get all the details

Absolutely, but he also has a defense that these were just anonymous unchallenged accusations. The NFL won't have a problem with him playing, and criminal charges will be hard to bring if the witnesses are bound by NDA from complaining to police.

I hope he faces charges and the victims are made whole.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Zaradis posted:

Did the Texans orchestrate this to try to make Watson look bad so they looked good but they’re the Texans so they didn’t think it through, as usual, and they didn’t think about how it would tank his trade value?

gently caress you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Intruder posted:

Going back to the idea that the Texans org is scum, this whole thing makes me think more about how they fired their head of HR who was by many accounts one of the best if not the best in the league at her job. A sign they knew something and needed someone who would be more willing to try to spin this?

I don't think the Texans had any idea this was coming. If they did, they would have traded him so that he was someone else's problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Agreed. Don't be McMagic. No one should be blaming anyone here but Watson. He's a monster and serial sexual-abuser.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's very possible that he got a few hundred thousand per victim offer when the number was 4. That would be common, and we might even see some of the settlement documents if they were issued pursuant to whatever Texas' version of an offer of judgment is.

In Florida, for example, I send a settlement offer pursuant to certain statute and rules of procedure. If the other party accepts, the case is done. If they reject the offer and I beat the settlement offer via some future settlement or judgment by 25% or more, I get to collect attorney's fees on top of the final amount.
it sorta seems like he was offered a settlement when there were 'only' a few accusers, his camp rejected it, but the fact that it went public gave more victims the impetus to come forward and now there's no putting the cat back in the bag and criminal charges are probably gonna happen as well

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

wyoak posted:

it sorta seems like he was offered a settlement when there were 'only' a few accusers, his camp rejected it, but the fact that it went public gave more victims the impetus to come forward and now there's no putting the cat back in the bag and criminal charges are probably gonna happen as well

If this is true then he's an idiot or his reps are idiots because there's no way he could have really believed that no additional accusers would come forward once it became public if he's done it so many times

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Asproigerosis posted:

Holy loving poo poo this really puts things into perspective

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Attitudes toward sexual abuse definitely haven't changed in the years since Roethlisberger's accusations

e: I was trying to be sarcastic but instead made myself sad because this is actually true for a huge chunk of the country

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wyoak posted:

it sorta seems like he was offered a settlement when there were 'only' a few accusers, his camp rejected it, but the fact that it went public gave more victims the impetus to come forward and now there's no putting the cat back in the bag

I agree - he likely doesn't have the money to settle right now even if he wanted to.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

:(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Intruder posted:

If this is true then he's an idiot or his reps are idiots because there's no way he could have really believed that no additional accusers would come forward once it became public if he's done it so many times

I imagine he lied to his reps about this.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Intruder posted:

poo poo, with the most recent one being literally less than three weeks ago it probably would’ve kept going and sooner or later settling would probably ceased being an option anyway.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 22, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree - he likely doesn't have the money to settle right now even if he wanted to.

It depends how bad the compensation per person is, but isn't it plausible to set up a per month settlement payment(s) vs one lump sum

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Intruder posted:

He probably still doesn't see what he did as wrong. He's likely been abusing women since he was a teenager without consequence. because:

Intruder posted:

Attitudes toward sexual abuse definitely haven't changed in the years since Roethlisberger's accusations

e: I was trying to be sarcastic but instead made myself sad because this is actually true for a huge chunk of the country

Yeah. This is tragically true. Powerful men are are still monsters with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I have to think Watson was assured by some powerful people that they could make this go away. My guess is said powerful people didn't recognize the extent of the behavior, but most sports media tried to keep the story buried and Florio went into overdrive trying to spin things in Watson's favor.