Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Isolationism and aspirations of national autarky are both dumb as hell, but it's about the one case where you really need to have it not reliant on any other nuclear armed power, regardless of what your normal state of relations is with them, because any global situation where you're even considering using nuclear weapons is not a normal state of relations.
I wonder how much this has affected the attempts during Brexit to sidle up to the US when Trump was president. Like when it looked like he made clear he was itching to nuke Iran or North Korea, Boris panicked and though 'poo poo, better cosy up to the guy who has our nukes in case deterrents start to matter now.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

We really ought to have a fully independent deterrent like France if we're going to have one at all.

First read this as us using France as a deterrent.

"Go on and invade us, just don't come crying to me when the cheese stench kills your babies."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The US and France famously two countries which always support each other in conflicts.

E: unilaterally might have been a better word to highlight the problem.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*chews on some freedom fries*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

*chews on some freedom fries*
*lafayette notices ur treaty* oWo whats this

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
10th anniversary of the London riots later this year, innit.

Wasn't Keith responsible for some of the utterly vicious sentencing that went on afterwards?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

honestly expecting the tories to reintroduce the death penalty soonish and keith to wholeheartedly vote for it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kingturnip posted:

10th anniversary of the London riots later this year, innit.

Wasn't Keith responsible for some of the utterly vicious sentencing that went on afterwards?

40 years since the Brixton, Toxteth, Handsworth (one of my nans was from there!), Chapel Town and Moss Side riots:

Wiki posted:

From April to July 1981, England suffered serious riots across many major cities. Perceived as race riots between communities,[1] the main motives were related to racial tension and inner city deprivation.[2] The riots were caused by a distrust of the police and authority. The most serious riots that occurred were the Brixton riots in London, the Toxteth riots in Liverpool, the Handsworth riots in Birmingham, the Chapeltown riots in Leeds, and the Moss Side riots in Manchester. There were also a series of less serious riots in other towns and cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_England_riots

From the 1979 riots that swept the UK (well Southall riots at any rate: Anti-Nazi League v National Front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCkNu9OxThc

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 22, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

nine days until the 31st anniversary of the Poll Tax Riots!

Will that be the date of the next largest riot against the cop bill? Probably not, since the 31st of this month is a Wednesday, but if things kick off this weekend, this time next week there'll be some Guardian pundit drawing parallels between the Poll Tax Riots and the Protest Riots or whatever they're gonna be called in the history books.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

hahahaha HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lmao he looks like low rent peter stringfellow

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

10th anniversary of the London riots

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

40 years since the Brixton, Toxteth, Handsworth (one of my nans was from there!), Chapel Town and Moss Side riots
20th anniversary of the riots across parts of the North too. (Bradford/Oldham/Leeds, with the BNP/NF being opportunistic cunts as usual.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

lmao he looks like high rent Ian Beale

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

20th anniversary of the riots across parts of the North too. (Bradford/Oldham/Leeds, with the BNP/NF being opportunistic cunts as usual.)

Chas and Dave to reform and record "It's Lucky For Glazers When The Year Ends In One".

e: Decided to look them up because I couldn't remember which one had died, and - along with the fact that as session musicians they'd played with everyone from Albert Collins to Jerry Lee Lewis - found possibly the most startling piece of trivia I have ever read:

quote:

The hook of the song on which [Chas] Hodges and [Dave] Peacock played guitar and bass in 1975, Labi Siffre's "I Got The...", was later sampled on Eminem's "My Name Is".

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm getting the feeling it might be easier to just have anniversaries of when there weren't riots.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Chas and Dave to reform and record "It's Lucky For Glazers When The Year Ends In One".

And alarm companies.

In my twenties I worked for an alarm company. I particularly remember the Brixton riots in 1985 (?) when all the shop alarms were going off like crazy for the best part of a week. Our guys were constantly on call for resets. The company made a lot of money every time there were riots.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Many thanks to all those involved in 'Podcasting is Praxis', wonderful stuff. :cheersbird:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

lmao he looks like low rent peter stringfellow

so peter stringfellow

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
17 covid deaths reported today. I know it's always lower on Mondays but still, hopefully a sign that the vaccines are really having an effect now.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

honestly expecting the tories to reintroduce the death penalty soonish and keith to wholeheartedly vote for it.

Labour will abstain, and the Tory Lords will eventually block it from passing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm getting the feeling it might be easier to just have anniversaries of when there weren't riots.
I did wonder if it was just sufficient noise that you could find any pattern you wanted in it or if there is some interesting periodicity, so I went through a list but now I'm just reading about possibly the stupidest one on there, seriously, well done Leicester.

For the past 50 years though, there does seem to be more riots in Britain in years ending in a 1 (significantly more if you count the 2011 riots separately by location), next are years ending in a 0 or 5, and the other years have only a couple, disproportionately sport related like the Euro '96 ones and the riots after England lost to France in their first game of the UEFA Euro 2004 group stage lol.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There are many salty Tories and broadsheet journalists in Scotland tonight.

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1374048253940019201

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
This is all down to covid, please stop saying brexit is poo poo

x

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

why are we exporting salmon to the EU instead of into my mouth

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd be a shame if anyone in the press asked why there was such a severe financial impact from Covid compared to countries that didn't horrifically mismanage it.

nobody in the press asks

ah, well, nevertheless

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

peanut- posted:

17 covid deaths reported today. I know it's always lower on Mondays but still, hopefully a sign that the vaccines are really having an effect now.

The seven day average is a touch over 90 dead a day

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sinky posted:

Ireland to UK: No.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

The seven day average is a touch over 90 dead a day

Also third month of lockdown, and spring is springing. The drop in deaths *has* been quicker than it was coming out of the first lockdown, even though the weather and kids being back in school work against it, so it's probable that the vaccines are having an effect, but TBH we really won't know until the end of summer if we're really out of it or not.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Of course the vaccines are having an effect - the entire older half of the adult population of the country have received vaccines that have been shown to be approx 70 percent effective at preventing infection four weeks after the first dose, and near 100% effective at preventing ICU admission and death. You can argue over the magnitude of the effect compared to other factors but it's ridiculous to say there might not be any.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also third month of lockdown, and spring is springing. The drop in deaths *has* been quicker than it was coming out of the first lockdown, even though the weather and kids being back in school work against it, so it's probable that the vaccines are having an effect, but TBH we really won't know until the end of summer if we're really out of it or not.

Kids have only been back in school for a fortnight so wouldn't have any impact on death rate yet. The stall/increase in case numbers might be linked to that however.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The vaccines are great at stopping deaths when people have it.

But we're opening school and social venues long before the age groups attending and working in those places will get the vaccines and creating prolonged pressure on the health service as circulation continues which will retain high levels of hospitalisations even if the patients do eventually recover. That'll escalate the risks of more variants being created and spreading which might well become deadlier for the younger age groups or render the current vaccine crop useless against it, more generally the cases spreading will continue to predominantly occupy and degrade the NHS capacity which is totally shot after the waves we've had and long term defunding - without a recovery period the 2021 winter season might still have high excess deaths from non-covid causes as the backlog and lack of recovery time means there's not going to be good times ahead for anyone with a health issue.

It might work out, just like the change to vaccine regime to 12 weeks worked out okay but it's very high risk but will absolutely come with a fixed death toll in a best case scenario.

So to bang the drum again join a Zero Covid campaign and get a proper strategy in place.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
it's already established that people are just ignoring the rules after getting vaccinated, and Israel already went through this and firmly established it as a cause of their post-vaccination bump in cases.

You'll know it's related to schools when the death rate starts creeping upwards again, but it won't be huge, and we might not have any major spikes until we see a variant that can actually put vaccinated people into ICU.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

keep punching joe posted:

Labour will abstain, and the Tory Lords will eventually block it from passing.

they can't block it though can they

the lords can try to persuade Boris Johnson with the power of rational argument, sure, but i mean

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sinky posted:

x

Orban alone doing his best to prop up the UK export market, Johnson's one true friend in Europe.

It's astounding how badly they've hosed it, and even once/if the UK eventually normalises trade with the EU again a bunch of those exports aren't coming back. Non-UK producers elsewhere will have increased production, purchasers will have made arrangements with them, retailers will have rearranged their supply chains. They're going to need a good reason to swap back to UK products again and having a British flag on the packaging probably isn't enough.

e: I can't say it's necessarily due to the decrease in Scottish salmon exports, but Norwegian salmon exports for the first ten weeks of the year are up ~20% on 2020, and I suppose having your biggest competitor in Europe more or less entirely drop out of the market doesn't hurt there.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 22, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The coronavirus vaccine feels vaguely like a pension. Sure, I'll get it soon... only x time units from now!

*x/2 time units later* Sorry, it's been delayed

*repeats*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
AstraZeno's paradox.

big scary monsters posted:

They're going to need a good reason to swap back to UK products again and having a British flag on the packaging probably isn't enough.
This kind of talk will be illegal soon :cop:

Has any more been said about the CPTPP or is that another thing Johnson just made up and we're building a bridge to *checks notes* Brunei?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

jaete posted:

The coronavirus vaccine feels vaguely like a pension. Sure, I'll get it soon... only x time units from now!

*x/2 time units later* Sorry, it's been delayed

*repeats*

This is why you ALWAYS reserve time units, otherwise you'll step around a corner, bump into a Chrysalid, and before you know it you've got 3 survivors evacuating on the Skyranger with the other 11 dead and everyone starts pulling funding because you just let Rio get eaten

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's pretty grim seeing Europe moving back into lockdown, just as we're shifting into moving out of it. It's looking to me very much like the pace of the vaccine rollout here is going to allow us a pretty normal summer, whereas much of Europe is still going to be stuck in restrictions. I think that the panic and hot language about banning vaccine exports etc from some European leaders is genuinely felt and one reason for that is the political carnage that's looming as their electorates get a change to register their fury through the ballot box.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope that doesn't cause a rise in fash, there's already growing Qult influence in Germany and the Netherlands seems to have the English Tory effect going on where no matter how much poo poo their lovely right wing parties poo poo on people they still remain popular.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

Of course the vaccines are having an effect - the entire older half of the adult population of the country have received vaccines that have been shown to be approx 70 percent effective at preventing infection four weeks after the first dose, and near 100% effective at preventing ICU admission and death. You can argue over the magnitude of the effect compared to other factors but it's ridiculous to say there might not be any.

And I did in fact say that the vaccines were probably having an effect based on a comparison with the end of the last lockdown (hospitalisation rates are also dropping quicker than last year), just that it's impossible to know exactly how effective they'll be over the entire population until after the summer, because last summer with no vaccine and only pretty mild social distancing rules we stayed at double-figure deaths all the way until September (which is of course why the rush is on to get at least first jabs into everyone by July).

In particular we still don't know with certainty what effect AZ has on preventing hospitalisation and death in over-65s and that's the majority of those who have received first doses (second doses are still only in the over-80s and healthcare workers) and while it's relatively safe to assume protection declines linearly with age, like it does with the other vaccines, it's still not proven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I hope that doesn't cause a rise in fash, there's already growing Qult influence in Germany and the Netherlands seems to have the English Tory effect going on where no matter how much poo poo their lovely right wing parties poo poo on people they still remain popular.

Somebody scrawled "Great Replacement" on a FvD (the "Geert Wilders is too soft" party) poster down the road, and I don't think they were antifa worried about being replaced by gammons :ohdear: